Are you excited by upcoming AAA from Tencent?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll Are you excited by upcoming AAA from Tencent? (34 votes)

Yes. 15%
No. 85%

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/73554/tencent-is-now-making-first-party-aaa-games-for-playstation-5-xbox-sx/index.html

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-01-tencents-lightspeed-studio-to-make-aaa-games-for-next-gen-consoles

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/tencent-establishes-los-angeles-based-lightspeed-studio-to-develop-aaa-open-world-game-for-ps5-xbox-series-x

Tencent Games subsidiary Lightspeed & Quantum will open a new studio in Los Angeles named Lightspeed Studio to develop a AAA open-world game for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, the company announced.

Lightspeed Studio will be led by Rockstar Games veteran Steve Martin, who previously held leadership roles on Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2. Martin will lso act as executive producer on development.

Hope it isn't too microtrans heavy. I wanna see what they can do.

• 
Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#51 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 692 Posts

I actually quite like and admire many chinese people. specially their habilty and dedication. Those are different topics.

The problem is that its simply to easy to prove that tencent participates in censorship and is heavily affiliated with the government ( the head of tencent is also a high ranking government official)

So all that is left to do is to make personal attacks.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#52 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@rzxv04 said:
@nirgal said:

@kadin_kai: I live here. All large companies are required to have communist party personnel stationed at their facilities. With tencent its specially the case as they own wechat which is the main online communication application in china and the largest electronic payment method. Tecent actively participate in suppression of political speech through this app.

Cybersec law right? They're probably ahead of the game. It's the likely future for the entire world. Everything is probably headed to that, technocratic, surveillance states, but humanity will survive probably. Big private counterparts seem to be actively suppressing as well but I am not sure.

Every country has their own cyber laws. But honestly working in China I have never had a problem using WeChat.

I use a VPN every so often and I have never had a problem.

I have a lot of contact with Universities (we often recruit students to do surveys and I personally need to find historical information and need help of some experts) we talk about all sorts of things such as One Child Policy, Uighurs, Tibet on Wechat and I have had no issues at all. We even talk about democracy vs communism!

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52444 Posts

You're never gonna be able to have threads about any Tencent games because it will devolve into political bs. When China rules the world, and China hate-speech is banned throughout, death squads will be bursting into your place. And you'll be taken to a rehabilitation camp.

I wish this happened to Twitter users. #ChinaWorldOrder.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Kadin_Kai

@rzxv04 said:
@kadin_kai said:
@kadin_kai said:
@nirgal said:

@kadin_kai: it doesnt let me either

The warning on chinese was erased, but the thing i am referring to is this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hongkongfp.com/2017/09/17/china-makes-chat-group-administrators-i-e-regular-users-criminally-liable-unlawful-messages/

You said they sent it to you? Sure you’ve had enough time to find something on the web by now?

And if you really are in China and you dislike China so much, why not move back to your own great country?

Reality is many need your resources and many more are willing to do whatever it takes. The next century is probably yours and the world will likely comply. There'll always be some spark with these transitions. Please have patience with some of us.

I have no idea what you are talking about????

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Nirgal

@kadin_kai: you can have personal chats, but it was not allowed in the classroom at least when i was there.

Its also not allowed in blogs, public places, groups of wechat or any media or social media.

Also calling it cyber security is a huge misnomer as it includes censorship of politcally sensitive speech.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Kadin_Kai
@nirgal said:

@rzxv04: this includes politcally sensitive speech. Its not cyber security. Thats a deliberate misnomer.

Mind you i dont hate china, i am just very aware of the objectives of the government.

Really what are the objectives of the government?

Really sounds like you’re better of elsewhere, or are you really important and fearful that the Chinese government has a team of people worried about that you say and think?

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2144 Posts

@nirgal said:

@kadin_kai: Wo hui shuo, danshi luntan bu yunxu yong hanzi

So i guess you are among the few people that is not receiving messages from wechat threatening arrest if you speak about sensitive topics?

Why would a CCP lacky like kadin_kai be receiving threats from the government?

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@kadin_kai: Strength, peace, harmony and global dominance in the tech sector or independence of. I think this is the dream of many other countries as well. Shouldn't we all strive for these?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Nirgal

@rzxv04: given your language usage i kind of realize where you come from. Anyway, dont think we dont know.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 rzxv04

@nirgal said:

@rzxv04: given your language usage i kind of realize where you come from. Anyway, dont think we dont know.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here.

All I'm currently confident of is that many people will turn a blind eye on sensitive things for convenience and I'm not sure that's about to change, sadly.

There are gonna be plenty of benefits/sacrifices ahead of us.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Nirgal

@kadin_kai:

Not me personally i don't think, but if there were no worries about other people talking there would not be laws restricting speech.

Anyway, don't think you represent all of China. There are many people afraid to talk but with radically different opinions from your. They just don't want to take the cost of speaking up.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Kadin_Kai

@nirgal said:

Said it many times on Gamespot. I am British born Chinese. Dumped the UK mainly because I didn’t like the 44% income tax I was in, 20% value added tax being spent on multiple wars, abusing the human rights of millions around the world, widespread racism, economic downturn and a poor future!

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Nirgal

@rzxv04: your use of language and mindset remind of local Chinese people or at least someone who has been very influenced by the mindset.

But let me ask, whats your education background?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Nirgal

@kadin_kai: I didn't mean you, but you never answered when i pointed out to what tencent doing and the position held by the the head of tencent at government.

I think you know about this topic and simply dont like acknowledge it.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 rzxv04

@nirgal said:

@rzxv04: your use of language and mindset remind of local Chinese people or at least someone who has been very influenced by the mindset.

Nothing to be proud of, that's for sure. I'm afraid of further criticism.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Kadin_Kai

@nirgal said:

I have a degree in Economics and a master degree in Mathematical Economics. Good enough to converse with you?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Nirgal

@kadin_kai: again, never asked you. And the idea was not to gauge his academical achievements either, simply to know where he grew up and his culture.

But you do seem to have a master in dodging topics you dont want to talk about.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Kadin_Kai
@nirgal said:

How stupid to generalise, “local Chinese people”! The basis of racism is generalisations and stereotypes! Nice smart guy aren’t you?

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 rzxv04

@kadin_kai said:
@nirgal said:

I have a degree in Economics and a master degree in Mathematical Economics. Good enough to converse with you?

I don't think he was asking you.

Unlike you, my clear lack of intellect bleeds from my writing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

No, nor should anyone with half a brain.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Nirgal

@kadin_kai: no, there is greater emphasis on concepts like stability and harmony here. Even the word harmony is used much more often than in other countries. Also there is an very high association between government, country and nation to a point in which many people think of them as the same concept. When you share an educational background. You share a way of thinking.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Nirgal

@rzxv04: i never said i thought you were not intelligent, i just found strange that you would so easily accept things that most of us consider very negative. And your explanation was similar to the one i hear here, so i thought you maybe were local.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Kadin_Kai

@nirgal said:

@kadin_kai: no, there is greater emphasis on concepts like stability and harmony here. Even the word harmony is used much more often than in other countries. Also there is an very high association between government, country and nation to a point in which many people think of them as the same concept. When you share an educational background. You share a way of thinking.

When someone asks someone els’s education background directly shows quite a lot about the person asking!

Additionally when someone generalises and makes stereotypes show even more!

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Nirgal

@kadin_kai: i already explained myself in that regard, not that it matter since your are being deliverate in avoiding the original topic and branching off somewhere else.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 rzxv04

@nirgal said:

@rzxv04: i never said i thought you were not intelligent, i just found strange that you would so easily accept things that most of us consider very negative. And your explanation was similar to the one i hear here, so i thought you maybe were local.

Thanks?

I've recently looked into globalization and so far, come to the conclusion that many extremely wealthy supranationals are not likely to have allegiances to nations or states. I feel powerless to their whims and look at people who fight the good fight with envy.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#76 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34666 Posts

@sakaixx said:

No.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Nirgal

@rzxv04: i don't know. I feel that if you can have a positive impact on the world or minimize your negative impact you should do it.

It doesn't matter if it's small, at least its something and it can add up.

I see the same way as not throwing trash on the streets. Its a small impact, but it adds up if everyone does it.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#78 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5267 Posts

System Wars, not Political Wars!

Can we drop the political discussion here? It seems that anything about Tencent degrades into an off-topic political discussion on mainland China and it is best that anything political be discussed in the Political Gamers forum. That forum exists for a reason. Thanks.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39152 Posts

@kadin_kai said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kadin_kai said:
@npiet1 said:
@kadin_kai said:

I wonder if someone says, “I won’t buy anything made by black people,” sound racist?

Probably right.

But if you say, “I won’t buy anything made by Chinese people,” it’s not racist huh?

Your misconstruing it, it's "I won't buy anything made by the Chinese Government".

No one cares if a Chinese person made it.

You do realise Tencent is not owned by the Chinese government?

Is it even possible for anything Chinese not being owned by the CCP?

Of course! There are more private and public companies in China than the US!

The China you’re thinking about was in the 1990s!

There is a clear list of companies in China that are state run:

http://en.sasac.gov.cn/n_688.htm

I don't believe this one bit. Believing this list is like believing the CCP on the covid cases.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Kadin_Kai

@nirgal said:

@kadin_kai: i already explained myself in that regard, not that it matter since your are being deliverate in avoiding the original topic and branching off somewhere else.

Deliverate?

Perhaps my command of English is not quite as good as yours.

Branching off far from it. You said you knew the objectives of the government but you list none.

You claimed you are receiving messages from the Chinese government but again you show nothing. Perhaps it did not happen but instead you have a false sense of importance that you claim the Chinese government is spying on you!

You say I claim I represent Chinese people but it was actually you who generalised them into the “mindset of local Chinese,” indicating first you know everyone and understand them all. How boastful!

Then you asked me about my educational background and I provided them.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 rzxv04

@onesiphorus said:

System Wars, not Political Wars!

Can we drop the political discussion here? It seems that anything about Tencent degrades into an off-topic political discussion on mainland China and it is best that anything political be discussed in the Political Gamers forum. That forum exists for a reason. Thanks.

This is probably gonna happen a lot as they continue to rise on many industries.

For end consumers (gamers), there are possibly positives where you can hire many more budding developers that are almost or just as talented as their high cost nation counterparts, therefore produce a better and bigger game. I think this has already happened to some big games. Some parts have been outsourced.

I can't remember which game though. I think it was Horizon Zero Dawn?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Nirgal

@kadin_kai: i never asked you. The quote doesnt say your name.

Anyway when i said i received the censorship message i never said that the message was specifically directed at me. It came out many times in wechat groups in which politics were being discussed. Normally its the owner of the group that will ask you to stop discussing the topic since he will also be liable for arrest if you say something wrong. Then they will refer you to the law i just said and that is applied by wechat reading your group chats.

The reason why i told you dont represent all Chinese people is simple becuase you were telling me to leave the country, so i thought you should know that disagreeing with you doesn't mean hating the country and many Chinese people also dont agree with you.

As far the objectives of the government: they are to expand its authoritarian rule over what topics are acceptable to be spoken about to alll other countries through economical rewards, threats of punishment or actual physical punishment. An example is the NBA situation, the topic of Hong Kong is already forbidden in China, showing support can also be forbidden in other countries. Not by law, but you can simply punish economically those that speak about it. If that is not enough to prevent speaking about a sensitive topic, the person can be kidnapped and taken for trial in mainland china as it happened with Gui minhai.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#83 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15943 Posts

@davillain- moderate this please its turning political.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#84 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@kadin_kai said:
@npiet1 said:
@kadin_kai said:

I wonder if someone says, “I won’t buy anything made by black people,” sound racist?

Probably right.

But if you say, “I won’t buy anything made by Chinese people,” it’s not racist huh?

Your misconstruing it, it's "I won't buy anything made by the Chinese Government".

No one cares if a Chinese person made it.

You do realise Tencent is not owned by the Chinese government?

Owns / does the the bidding of, what's the difference?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

Nooooo... SumTingWong. :P

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8487 Posts

@Telekill said:

Given that Tencent is China based, I'll probably ignore Lightspeed games. The only thing from them I'll probably end up touching are games using Unreal engine 4/5 as there probably won't be a way around that unless giving up gaming.

Why stop there. Get rid of your PS4/5 as well. They are also made in China. Speaking of that, you probably need to let go of all your possessions as well if you want to avoid things made in China.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8487 Posts
@kadin_kai said:

Probably right.

The difference is they are not saying made by Chinese people but made by China as in country controlled by CCP.

You do know that many of the fortune 500 CEOs are Chinese and almost all company has Chinese people.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#88  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Ah, like clockwork.

Let's go through my checklist for "Threads about a Chinese gaming company." Someone basically says "f*** China." Check. Kadin_kai storms in to defend the dignity of the Motherland. Check. Thread turns political. Check. onesiphorus complains about thread turning political. Check. Bonus point for thread being about Tencent. Now just need one more thing...

Anyway, mods should probably close this. Not just because I need one more check for the Bingo, but because I've just finished my bag of popcorn.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@sakaixx said:

@davillain- moderate this please its turning political.

And I haven't even started my Tea break and there's already trouble in SW.

Yeah, I gotta shut this down cause this thread went Political and even I didn't see this coming.