Are new Star Wars games doomed to all be shit?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

My friends: many movie to games are very poor. However, during the golden age of happiness and joy, Lucasarts produced very good Starwars games that many people still play and love today.

Since EA seems to be handling Starwars titles, primarily aimed at consoles, can we assume all future games will shit? Would this be a safe assumption? How safe of an assumption is it on a scale of 1 to 10? 10 being the highest? 1 Being the lowest? 5 being about the middle? 2 being slightly above 1?

A Jedi
A Jedi

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#2 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

My friend, if you truly loved Star Wars games, you could never assume that they will be shit!

What's next, are you gonna assume Shogun 3 will be shit? Do you wanna think about that?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I'm still pissed they canned 1313.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@Cobra_nVidia said:

My friend, if you truly loved Star Wars games, you could never assume that they will be shit!

What's next, are you gonna assume Shogun 3 will be shit? Do you wanna think about that?

Also uninspiredcup, maybe we should wait until the new Battlefront is release before we talk.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

I'm with @clyde46 on this one. One of the most interesting Star Wars games in years.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Meh, they really showed very little of the game. For all we know it could've been crap.

And the studio handling it also did TFU 1&2 which were not so good.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Are all of your posts doomed to be awful?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

@lundy86_4 said:

I'm with @clyde46 on this one. One of the most interesting Star Wars games in years.

All that was shown was a massive scripted sequence with practically no gameplay.

Jedi Knight was interesting, thats 100 years old and still more interesting than any movie game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator

@clyde46 said:

Nobody canned it, it was still part of LocusArts and when Disney bought out Star Wars rights, they had to shutdown LocusArts and remember that LA went downhill after the release Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. I enjoy that game by the way, never played the second though.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

I have high hopes for battlefront.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Since EA seems to be handling Starwars titles, primarily aimed at consoles, can we assume all future games will shit?

Many of the supposedly good Star Wars games were aimed at consoles.

• Battlefront is definitely for consoles (yet people still love it)
  • Knights of the Old Republic is the most striking example of consolized cRPG still to this date (yet people think it's the best fucking thing for WRPG)
  • Rogue Squadron is mostly a console exclusive (yet people still want the sequel)
  • Republic Commando was definitely streamlined to be played on XBOX (yet people still enjoyed it greatly)

Sure, back in the days of Dark Forces and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter it was mostly a PC franchise, but once consoles became a huge thing, it jumped the ship. Only memorable Star Wars games aimed at PC after the advent of gen 6 consoles were Empire at War (which only had an expansion and no sequel) and Jedi Knights series (which died after Academy in 2003).

If anything, DICE handling Battlefront may mean the series can, for the first time, shift significant focus on PC version. Because Pandemic certainly didn't.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#12 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

@davillain- said:

@clyde46 said:

Nobody canned it, it was still part of LocusArts and when Disney bought out Star Wars rights, they had to shutdown LocusArts and remember that LA went downhill after the release Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. I enjoy that game by the way, never played the second though.

If you're gonna play TFU II, go for the Wii version rather than the HD version (Believe it or not, unlike TFU1, TFU2 has better reception on the weaker tech console than the HD consoles last gen).

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

All that was shown was a massive scripted sequence with practically no gameplay.

Jedi Knight was interesting, thats 100 years old and still more interesting than any movie game.

The concept was interesting. Far more interesting than any recent Star Wars games. TFU was decent, but TFUII crapped the bucket.

Ain't no touching the Jedi Knight or KotOR series though.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Why? It was an Uncharted clone in space. The concept was excellent, but their execution was anything but.

As for the thread topic, it's EA, they did the dick move and bought exclusive rights to the license so that nobody else could use it and much like the Harry Potter games, we will never see anything spectacular come out for them until the license has expired, or if DICE actually comes through for once.

My hopes are lying all with the movies at this point.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup

@funsohng said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Since EA seems to be handling Starwars titles, primarily aimed at consoles, can we assume all future games will shit?

• Knights of the Old Republic is the most striking example of consolized cRPG still to this date (yet people think it's the best fucking thing for WRPG)
  • Rogue Squadron is mostly a console exclusive (yet people still want the sequel)
  • Republic Commando was definitely streamlined to be played on XBOX (yet people still enjoyed it greatly)

Sure, back in the days of Dark Forces and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter it was mostly a PC franchise, but once consoles became a huge thing, it jumped the ship. Only memorable Star Wars games aimed at PC after the advent of gen 6 consoles were Empire at War (which only had an expansion and no sequel) and Jedi Knights series (which died after Academy in 2003).

If anything, DICE handling Battlefront may mean the series can, for the first time, shift significant focus on PC version. Because Pandemic certainly didn't.

Sadly: none of these games are excellent.

Console users had never played an RPG before thus; KOTOR became the most overrated game humanity has ever known.

Childrens Baldurs Gate, waste of time.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@clyde46 said:

yea they had something interesting there and they just threw it all away.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nintendoboy16

@uninspiredcup said:

@funsohng said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Sadly: none of these games are excellent.

Console users had never played an RPG before thus; KOTOR became the most overrated game humanity has ever known.

Childrens Baldurs Gate, waste of time.

Rogue Squadron (a trilogy that surpasses EVERY Star Fox game, including 64/Lylat Wars, to the point that even the original RS holds up more than the original Star Fox?) and Battlefront weren't excellent?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I said "supposedly"

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Probably, because the best Star Wars games were PC centric. Nothing EA makes will top legendary games like the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight and X-Wing/Tie Fighter series.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@nintendoboy16 said:

If you're gonna play TFU II, go for the Wii version rather than the HD version (Believe it or not, unlike TFU1, TFU2 has better reception on the weaker tech console than the HD consoles last gen).

Thanks for telling me this but sadly, I took my Wii down after I got my Wii U last year in May. But however, I haven't got any plains to play TFU2 anytime soon. If I see a used Wii copy, I'll buy it and later hook my Wii up for that.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#21 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Hit or miss.

Ryno1179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ryno1179
Member since 2015 • 187 Posts

Well Battlefront is being done by Dice and the seem to have the Battlefield concept down pretty well. Then you have Bioware that could do a KOTOR 3 which would have a lot of people excited. The franchise is not necessarily in the wrong hands it just depends on what EA does with it.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#23 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Consoles have nothing to do with the last few Star Wars games sucking. You're just a bad troll.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Are you implying that past Star Wars games weren't focused on consoles?

Most Star Wars games ever made appear on consoles.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Yes, well the ones made by DICE anyways. I have some hope for the Visceral game.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nintendoboy16

@Wasdie: Not to mention some of the best ones were on consoles too. I know you're not the biggest Nintendo fan, but the Rogue Squadron games, most especially Rogue Leader on the GameCube were damn good games (still are, even of Rebel Strike was the weakest of the three, it still didn't stop it from being good).

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I don't know how you came to this assumption as many Star Wars games actually turned out to be good.

What's happened as of late is that the last Star Wars games didn't see a release due to publishers/developers. Battlefronts didn't see a release as it was supposed to early last gen because Free Radical used the money LucasArts had given them to finish Haze, which bombed due to the complex, costly, time and resource consuming PS3 development, and they spent all their money and couldn't finish the game for LucasArts, and by that point LucasArts was fed up with the delay, lack of progress, and wasn't forking over more money. Out of all this shit calls LucasArts has made over the years on the gaming end, cancelling Free Radical's Battlefronts game was probably the smartest move they made. I would rather no game got release than a piece of shit game. The 1313 game died because of Disney, Disney acquired LucasArts and when that happened they basically cleaned house of everyone, including those working on the 1313 game. Same thing with Star Wars: First Assault, that FPS game that looked pretty decent, Disney canned that project too. Disney was already on my shit list for closing Black Rock Studios over Split/Second, which I thought was a pretty awesome game despite it being a commercial failure. As a publisher Disney should have seen that they at least had a talented studio that made good games and the failure to sell the game was on the publisher side. At the very least they should have offered the chance to sell off the studio and the IPs to an interested publisher. But I digress...

I think the Star Wars license as it pertains to games is more poised under EA than it has ever been under LucasArts or Disney. There's no better match than to have DICE do Battlefronts, so much so I think they should just name it Battlefield: Star Wars Battlefronts. The games are very similar aside from one being an FPS and the other a TPS. It's territory domination and team resource depletion style game, mix of soldiers and vehicles. It's been almost 10 years since the last game so there's lots they can do with this series. As for Visceral, they took on that former Naughty Dog creative director and they're probably going to make a Star Wars adventure game next, my guess is something like the 1313 game that was cancelled. There's probably more to come, EA having rights to the Star Wars license means we can expect an avalanche of titles to capitalize on the pending Star Wars fervor likely to come with the theatrical release of Star Wars Episode VII later this year.

Why should EA be cursed for having the license? EA makes many great games despite how gamers feign hatred for them.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series are by far the best Star Wars games ever made and I would really love another game in that series if it was made by the original team and not turned into a cinematic QTE fest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Thanks to consoles we will never see anything that isn't flashy shallow crap =/

cyclops10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cyclops10
Member since 2004 • 696 Posts

OP is for sure top 5 garbage posters of SW, and that's really saying something.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By uninspiredcup

Agree very much my friends. The days when level design had intricate craftsmanship such as Jedi Knight demanding the player to be engaged are long gone. Sadly.

It's easy to blame consoles; it's console fault.

The console people under the impression pc gaming isn't more in depth, intricate and demanding probably haven't even played masterpiece level design such as Jedi Knight.

KOTOR, a very, very, very (lots) watered down Baldurs Gate with a limp plot twist seemed to have them doing cartwheels.

Heck, when KOTOR 2 came along, with an actual, real, IRL, good story, that made an effort to be more thoughtful than simply "you are the bad guy", they didn't like it, the first one was better. Easier to comprehend, I suppose.

Keven Sorbo Hercules adventures, a god, but being justifiably forced to live on the level of humans. Very much pc.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nintendoboy16

@lamprey263 said:

Why should EA be cursed for having the license? EA makes many great games despite how gamers feign hatred for them.

Well, considering the BS they've pulled as seen with SimCity and Sims 4, hell Battlefield IV too for how buggy that game was. Why shouldn't people "curse" them?

Should Mirko not blast Nintendo for like 99% of the things they (granted under Iwata's rule) have been doing and NOT boycott their newer products?

There was a time (before 2013) where I would have withstood most of the crap EA has done as they had/still have devs (both owned and partners) that made/make games I like, such as Dragon Age Origins (want to play Inquisition, but...), various James Bond games (TWINE 64, Nightfire consoles, Everything or Nothing, From Russia with Love), Sims series (pre-3 and 4 on PC), SimCity, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Rock Band, Mass Effect, etc. But since 2013, they've all but lost my support on their products that have released since that year (and that was a year after most of my rage was at Capcom for how bad they handled Street Fighter X Tekken, rather than everyone else at EA/Bioware for the god awful ME3 ending).

I lost any hope for Star Wars games after EA got their hands on it and the day EA gets another franchise (I fear they're going to get Dragon Ball next) I love, I'll do the same

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
Loading Video...

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

no, i have alot of faith in the one Amy Henning is doing

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Agree very much my friends. The days when level design had intricate craftsmanship such as Jedi Knight demanding the player to be engaged are long gone. Sadly.

The console people under the impression pc gaming isn't more in depth, intricate and demanding probably haven't even played masterpiece level design such as Jedi Knight.

KOTOR, a very, very, very (lots) watered down Baldurs Gate with a limp plot twist seemed to have them doing cartwheels.

Heck, when KOTOR 2 came along, with an actual, real, IRL, good story, that made an effort to be more thoughtful than simply "you are the bad guy", they didn't like it, the first one was better. Easier to comprehend, I suppose.

Keven Sorbo Hercules adventures, a god, but being justifiably forced to live on the level of humans. Very much pc.

.. Yeah I would like to stop you there and point out that KOTOR2 came out as a buggy unfinished mess with one of the worse endings I have ever seen to a game that might had something to do with it..

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 uninspiredcup

@sSubZerOo said:

@uninspiredcup said:

.. Yeah I would like to stop you there and point out that KOTOR2 came out as a buggy unfinished mess with one of the worse endings I have ever seen to a game that might had something to do with it..

The ending might have been too sophisticated to understand. KOTOR magical happy wrap up story, it requires alot less. You kinda just nod your head.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@uninspiredcup said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@uninspiredcup said:

The ending might have been too sophisticated to understand. KOTOR magical happy wrap up story, it requires alot less. You kinda just nod your head.

.. There was no ending.. All it had was literally a 15 second clip of either you flying away or staying in the temple depending on your alignment choices.. Before that consisted of a brief dialogue choice.. The last portion of the game was so fucking incomplete I can't believe people are trying to defend that shit.. The game literally took a massive nose once you crashed on the plantetoid. Though things may be different with the restoration mod, but I haven't bothered with said patch.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@clyde46 said:

It's not canned entirely, it's on an indefinite hold, they did let the copyright slip but they also did state that it may pick up development again if they find a fitting studio and reason to do it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup

@sSubZerOo said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@uninspiredcup said:

.. There was no ending.. All it had was literally a 15 second clip of either you flying away or staying in the temple depending on your alignment choices.. Before that consisted of a brief dialogue choice..

You just don't get it, that's the problem.

It's too sophisticated, it's probably the developers fault for expecting too much of the user-base.

Perhaps they should have just had a happy people ending with balloons and happiness or a bad people ending with evil man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Star wars is overhyped and boring. Everything star wars is shit.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Hard to say since nothing much has been seen of Battlefront yet.

I hope there will be a new Jedi Knight game, and it isn't screwed somehow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
@uninspiredcup said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@uninspiredcup said:

.. There was no ending.. All it had was literally a 15 second clip of either you flying away or staying in the temple depending on your alignment choices.. Before that consisted of a brief dialogue choice..

It's too sophisticated, it's probably the developers fault for expecting too much of the user-base.

Perhaps they should have just had a happy people ending with balloons and happiness or a bad people ending with evil man.

Where did I say that KOTOR1's ending was good? But at least it had closure and explained the outcome of the characters more or less.. KOTOR2 did not what so ever.. It was obvious they rushed the shit out of that entire area.. It was slap dashed together along with a "thats it" ending of you staying in the temple or the even worse of you simply flying away..

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 uninspiredcup

@sSubZerOo said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Where did I say that KOTOR1's ending was good? But at least it had closure and explained the outcome of the characters more or less.. KOTOR2 did not what so ever.. It was obvious they rushed the shit out of that entire area.. It was slap dashed together along with a "thats it" ending of you staying in the temple or the even worse of you simply flying away..

You just don't get it, I get it.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

All I can say is that I'm not too enthusiastic about EA having the only rights to make Star Wars games.

It's the same deal with the NFL...and that turned to shit....so one can only go by history.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59d151f079814

@mr_huggles_dog said:

All I can say is that I'm not too enthusiastic about EA having the only rights to make Star Wars games.

It's the same deal with the NFL...and that turned to shit....so one can only go by history.

Not sure why people are dismayed one way or the other.. The rare time a Starwars licensed game was released in the past 10 years were all mainly mediocre to bad.. I don't think EA could do a any worse job at this time with the license than LucasArts has before it.. I mean Lucas himself basically killed his own franchise in this regard with the new movies.. It says alot after the new movies that the most successful Starwars game franchise is the one that goes back thousands of years before the moives just to get away from them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By uninspiredcup

I'm going to be making fajita's soon, so you should know (as I wont respond for at least 30 minutes) that I am very much right, in the thing that I am saying, (which is right).

EA will ruin starwars, again. Even though TORTANIC should have destroyed their hopes and dreams.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@sSubZerOo: It's like I said...EA is the only one that can make Star Wars games.

They have that same kind of deal with the NFL....and those games have been shit for a long time. It's not that they can do any worse....it's that their history shows that it probably won't get any better.

Here's raising a glass in hopes that I'm wrong and the Star Wars license is treated with respect by EA.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59d151f079814

@uninspiredcup said:

I'm going to be making fajita's soon, so you should know (as I wont respond for at least 30 minutes) that I am very much right, in the thing that I am saying, (which is right).

EA will ruin starwars, again. Even though TORTANIC should have destroyed their hopes and dreams.

SWTOR since going F2p has rebounded with a report last august saying that it was the fourth largest subscriber base for MMO's.. It may not have reached the dumbass unrealistic expectations people were making, but it has proven to be growing..

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Backing Clyde on this one. That game looked boss. Like the Bounty Hunter we always deserved.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#50 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

I just want another Jedi Knight game, because Kyle Katarn.