Are Eidos the undisputed kings of stealth gameplay? (56k)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

Thief series.

Hitman Series.

Dues Ex: Human Revolution.

Thief 4?

It seems when it comes to the stealth genre, this publisher is undisputed king who has contributed the most over the decades. Can we all unanimously agree on this?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

I dunno, Sly Cooper is pretty rad.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

You forgot to mention Commandos, bub.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@ArisShadows said:

Not played that series in years. I'll need to buy it someday.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#5 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's the Metal Gear series that "contributed the most over the decades", but Eidos did evolve the stealth mechanics much further.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

@gameofthering said:

@ArisShadows said:

Not played that series in years. I'll need to buy it someday.

I think during a sale, you can get all of them for like maybe 3 dollars.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@ArisShadows said:

Commandos was so good. Shame they don't make games like that anymore.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

My friends, hopefully thief 4 turns out to be a cool dude game.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Well, they did kill the best stealth studio of all time though.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Of the few companies that used to make really great stealth games, I couldn't bring myself to call any of them kings of the genre anymore.

I'm almost ready to throw stealth games in the same category with jrpgs in terms of how mediocre they have both become.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

@ConanTheStoner said:

Of the few companies that used to make really great stealth games, I couldn't bring myself to call any of them kings of the genre anymore.

I'm almost ready to throw stealth games in the same category with jrpgs in terms of how mediocre they have both become.

Playing Dues Ex: Human Revolution without killing a single person or setting off a single alarm is genuinely challenging and generally, creates a more interesting game. It's very sad only 2% of people on pc (who actually bought it) achieved this, most likely opting for the much less interesting run and gun option.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@uninspiredcup said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Playing Dues Ex: Human Revolution without killing a single person or setting off a single alarm is genuinely challenging and generally, creates a more interesting game. It's very sad only 2% of people on pc (who actually bought it) achieved this, most likely opting for the much less interesting run and gun option.

Well yeah, that's just stealth games in general. Ghost runs are always the way to go, it's always been like that for every stealth series. Even MGS games become interesting and challenging when played that way.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ConanTheStoner said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Well yeah, that's just stealth games in general. Ghost runs are always the way to go, it's always been like that for every stealth series. Even MGS games become interesting and challenging when played that way.

Dishonored is far to easy with ghost runs.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ConanTheStoner

@uninspiredcup said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Dishonored is far to easy with ghost runs.

Never played it. Was it meant to be purely a stealth game? I really don't know.

But as far as series' like Thief, Hitman, Splinter Cell, MGS, and even the old Tenchu games go, a ghost run will usually yield a much more high tension and rewarding experience. Subtle aspects of the gameplay mechanics, AI and level design start having a larger impact on the experience... because this is usually how a stealth game developer intends, or at least wants the game to be played.