Apparently, Gamepro's idea of an "ideal" controller is....

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

...the Wiimote:

http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/international/games/features/181788.shtml

Someone should tell them that this already exists.

1. Reduce the number of face and shoulder buttons (Yup, this is the Wiimote.)

2. Ditch the Start and Select buttons in favor of a single "menu" button(One universal "menu" button? Yup, that's the Wiimote.)

3. Get rid of the d-pad once and for all(Ok, not the Wiimote, but it's used so rarely compared to the D-pad on the other controllers that it might as well be gone.)

4. Use motion controls(Already done.)

5. Add an attachment peripheral(*ahem*)

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts
Lol does anyone take GamePro seriously, let alone still read their magazine?
haris12121212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 haris12121212
Member since 2004 • 7560 Posts
So basicly we return to the NES era controller with a Analog Stick instead of the D-Pad and motion sensing? Yeah sure why not. I would love to play a fps game where A button is shoot B is jump and the rest well dunno...
Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Relys
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts
Well then their idea of an "ideal" controller, isn't very "ideal" now is it?
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
the Wiimote is a good controler...I really enjoy using it
Goten_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Goten_king
Member since 2004 • 4327 Posts
i'm currently happy with the GC/360 controller... The layouts are fine and buttons not overly complex. Maybe replace Dpad with some sort of motion/pressure/something sensor or whatever.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mjarantilla

So basicly we return to the NES era controller with a Analog Stick instead of the D-Pad and motion sensing? Yeah sure why not. I would love to play a fps game where A button is shoot B is jump and the rest well dunno...haris12121212

Do you really need that many buttons? Honestly now, developers need to realize the benefits of contextual inputs.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mjarantilla

Well then their idea of an "ideal" controller, isn't very "ideal" now is it?Relys

Oh, no, the Wiimote is definitely the closest we've come to an "ideal" controller yet. But a controller is only as good as its implementations, which haven't been so hot.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Relys

[QUOTE="haris12121212"]So basicly we return to the NES era controller with a Analog Stick instead of the D-Pad and motion sensing? Yeah sure why not. I would love to play a fps game where A button is shoot B is jump and the rest well dunno...mjarantilla

Do you really need that many buttons? Honestly now, developers need to realize the benefits of contextual inputs.

Contextual inputs = "button masher"/"adventure game".

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

[QUOTE="haris12121212"]So basicly we return to the NES era controller with a Analog Stick instead of the D-Pad and motion sensing? Yeah sure why not. I would love to play a fps game where A button is shoot B is jump and the rest well dunno...Relys

Tell that to Gears of War.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
i wouldnt mind adding one or two more face buttons
Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Relys

[QUOTE="Relys"]Well then their idea of an "ideal" controller, isn't very "ideal" now is it?mjarantilla

Oh, no, the Wiimote is definitely the closest we've come to an "ideal" controller yet. But a controller is only as good as its implementations, which haven't been so hot.

Really? The only game I liked the Wiimote for was Resident Evil 4. Sure, some games can be fun like the DS touch screen is for some games (Trauma Center, Mercury Meltdown), but when it comes to all around usefulness it's not even close.

The Wiimote was a big let down for me. When I first heard of it I thought it would calculate real time movements into in-game actions. So if you wanted to swing your sword in a heart shaped movement, it would do so.

I can't stand playing SSBB without my trusty gamecube controller.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#14 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

Number one is not the Wii. Actually, the Wii has some very inconvenient face buttons. Only the A button is in comfortable reach. The 1, 2, - and + buttons are all poorly placed and the D pad should be set lower.

For number two, the plus and minus buttons always function as it's start and select.

the D-pad is on the Wiimote and getting rid of it a stupid idea. Espeacily for fighters.

and 5 goes with alot of controllers.

Really, the Wii only fits two of those descriptions, but who cares, GamePro sucks.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
Well to each their own. But what a terrible choice IMO.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Getting rid of the d-pad=bad for fighters. If they do get rid of the d-pad, they had damn well better make great arcade sticks more readily available.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

I really like the Sixaxis myself... I know people hate the triggers but I don't get why, they're not really a problem for anything (imo!). Plus, I love how light it is.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mjarantilla

Number one is not the Wii. Actually, the Wii has some very inconvenient face buttons. Only the A button is in comfortable reach. The 1, 2, - and + plus buttons are all poorly placed and the D pad should be set lower.

For number two, the plus and minus buttons always function as it's start and select.

the D-pad is on the Wiimote and getting rid of it a stupid idea. Espeacily for fighters.

and 5 goes with alot of controllers.

Really, the Wii only fits two of those descriptions, but who cares, GamePro sucks.

vashkey

If you looked at GamePro's mockup, it basically only has two face buttons. The other four buttons were two shoulder buttons and two "clickable" analog buttons. So the Wii is lacking in one face button, but makes up for it with an extra shoulder button. And it lacks the clickable analog sticks (which, IMO, are a terrible idea and should never have been implemented anyway.)

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

[QUOTE="Relys"]Well then their idea of an "ideal" controller, isn't very "ideal" now is it?Relys

Really? The only game I liked the Wiimote for was Resident Evil 4. Sure, some games can be fun like the DS touch screen is for some games (Trauma Center, Mercury Meltdown), but when it comes to all around usefulness it's not even close.

The Wiimote was a big let down for me. When I first heard of it I thought it would calculate real time movements into in-game actions. So if you wanted to swing your sword in a heart shaped movement, it would do so.

I can't stand playing SSBB without my trusty gamecube controller.

Meh, I only thought that would be the case until I actually saw the videos of it in E3, and I realized that the technology was far less precise, but still very capable in its own right, so I was under no illusions by the time I bought it.

What's holding developers back right now is that NO ONE has studied the science of gesture control, so no one knows what people consider to be "intuitive" except for the most basic gestures. But with multi-touch and the Microsoft Table and stuff making headlines (in tech circles, at least), developers should begin hiring the talent they need to really design control systems for the Wiimote pretty soon.

Ironically, if Apple were to start developing games, they'd probably be in the best position to make a Wii game because of their experience in building user interfaces AND multi-touch gesture-based user interfaces.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I have to agree. The wiimote's controller has a lot going for it. It has less inputs, but with the addition of motion sensing that's arguable. It can be played the same by right and left handers (except for the wiimote on its side position). It's just so new and really it makes the other controllers look like the normal evolution of controllers has led to a bloated, inelegant controller in need of a rethinking. I grew up with gaming so I'm used to it, but at the same time I think that there are just too many inputs. They aren't needed. They could compensate if they just thought about it a bit more.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
Sorry but gamepro is lame they've not been good since the snes days.
They're idea of a controller is silly, and the wii mote is great but simply put ITS INACURATE as hell which is why all games that need accuracy and fast reaction time use the controls and not the motion sensing this is a simple fact.

The dpad will never die it is still the epitome next to a arcade stick for fighting games.
And one central menu button? sorry but both ps3 and 360 have those as well.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts

I really like the Sixaxis myself... I know people hate the triggers but I don't get why, they're not really a problem for anything (imo!). Plus, I love how light it is.

the-very-best
I like the controller too. I just wish it came standard with rumble and more advanced motion tech.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
This is GamePro we're talking about...
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

2. Ditch the Start and Select buttons in favor of a single "menu" button(One universal "menu" button? Yup, that's the Wiimote.)

mjarantilla
Not really. Nintendo didn't ditch select and start.. they just relabeled them "-" and "+".
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

ThePlothole

Not really. Nintendo didn't ditch select and start.. they just relabeled them "-" and "+".

You know, I never quite understood the purpose of the Select button.....

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Relys
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

mjarantilla

I've always felt that Select should bring up the in-game menu, and Start should pause the game.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

Relys

I've always felt that Select should bring up the in-game menu, and Start should pause the game.

Let me rephrase: I've never quite understood why they NAMED it the "Select" button.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

mjarantilla

Start and select are both vestiges from the Acade. You would "select" your character.. or whatever.. and then "start" the game.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

ThePlothole

Start and select are both vestages from the Acade. You would "select" your character.. or whatever.. and then "start" the game.

I don't remember the "Select" button being in many arcade cabinets.

Oh, and BTW, even simply renaming the buttons from Start/Select to +/- changes their use, e.g. IIRC, in at least one game they are used for zooming in and out of maps. They aren't "limited" to just opening menus and pausing games anymore. I guess you can see it as a move towards a more contextually-sensitive controller, but yeah, it doesn't quite fit Gamepro's description.

Then again, as people say, it's GamePro. :P

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

Why would people favor a controller with less buttons. :| Less buttons means less possibilities and less control of the ingame characters. It's what makes PC's mouse and keyboard so great. Theres endless possibilities with a keyboard knowing that each key would perform a different action in like say WoW or something.

Imagine games like Gears of War while it is a great game every single frikking action apart from aiming/shooting the gun is bound into the green button and it makes it annoying as hell and you can make some real clumzy mistakes. I sure as hell don't want a controller with 2 buttons. :| huge step backwards. Motion sensing doesn't actually help either. It's proven to be a load of crap in some games.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
Well, I find myslef greatly agreeing with gamepro here. All 5 of those ideas go with the rules of universal design. What we need is a NES style controller with sholder buttons (just one set), an analog stick, and an IR pointer...plus a port for extra stuff like nunchuck controllers or guitars.
funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 funnymario
Member since 2005 • 9122 Posts
Currently, I'm using my GameCube controller more than my Wiimote whenever possible :?
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mjarantilla

Well, I find myslef greatly agreeing with gamepro here. All 5 of those ideas go with the rules of universal design. What we need is a NES style controller with sholder buttons (just one set), an analog stick, and an IR pointer...plus a port for extra stuff like nunchuck controllers or guitars.goblaa

They actually do mention the principles of universal design in the first page of that linked article.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
Actually, what would be best is something like the wii nunchuck. A one handed controller with two buttons and an analog stick. Give it full motion sensing (and the much more important IR sensor) and a menu button. Then, let people play more complex games with a controller in each hand (which would double it to 4 button, dual analog, dual waggle, and dual IR).
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts
since when was the d-pad not used alot
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mjarantilla

since when was the d-pad not used alotCyber-

A toggle or scroll button is more useful than the D-pad, IMO.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Cyber-

[QUOTE="Cyber-"]since when was the d-pad not used alotmjarantilla

ya try not using it when your playing MoH: H2

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

[QUOTE="Cyber-"]since when was the d-pad not used alotCyber-

Never played it, never cared to. How is the D-pad used in MOHH2? If it's used to select weapons or equipment like in COD4, then as I said, a scroll wheel or toggle button would work better.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cyber-
[QUOTE="Cyber-"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

Never played it, never cared to. How is the D-pad used in MOHH2? If it's used to select weapons or equipment like in COD4, then as I said, a scroll wheel or toggle button would work better.

d-pad are important to any controller

if you have more than one weapon or grenade its esp important.

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

[QUOTE="haris12121212"]So basicly we return to the NES era controller with a Analog Stick instead of the D-Pad and motion sensing? Yeah sure why not. I would love to play a fps game where A button is shoot B is jump and the rest well dunno...Relys

not necessarily. Using the Wiimote as an example, instead of pressing a button to open a door, pushing/pulling on the remote can open and close doors. Just look at Metroid Prime 3 for an example.

quick edit, also check out Penumbra on the PC. everything is mouse movement based. manipulating the mouse to act as a hand.

hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
They suck, I think the DPAD is more important than the analogue stick.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="Cyber-"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

[QUOTE="Cyber-"]since when was the d-pad not used alotCyber-

No, because as I said, a scroll wheel or a toggle button is faster for selecting multiple weapons. Like in Half-Life 2, for example, where you have nine weapons, it's much easier to switch between them by just rolling the scroll wheel instead of choosing the number from the keyboard.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Cyber-
[QUOTE="Cyber-"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="Cyber-"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]

No, because as I said, a scroll wheel or a toggle button is faster for selecting multiple weapons. Like in Half-Life 2, for example, where you have nine weapons, it's much easier to switch between them by just rolling the scroll wheel instead of choosing the number from the keyboard.

were talking about game pads (i thought). PC control scheme is still miles of ahead of most console control schemes.

Taking the D-pad out of a console controller would be idiotic.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ThePlothole

mjarantilla

I agree, scroll wheels are faster. Maybe nextgen someone will get the idea of putting one on their controller.

Although for fighters and sidescrollers, personally I still prefer to have a d-pad.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
That's not the ideal controller for me. Motion controlls are in 90% of the cases just annoying. One thing that I would like to see on a controller is a scroll wheel like on a mouse, because I haven't yet found a console game where you can change weapon quick without moving your thumb to the d-pad or something.
Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#46 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts

Screw that, Kojima knows how to do it.

Select button for Communication commands? GENIUS

akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts

the wiimote is a good controller

sadly, most devs don't use it properly

play zelda TP, SMG, MP3 and RE4 to see how good the controller can be

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Why is everyone obsessed with simplistic things, so much for the days when games were meant to challenge your mind, ability to multiask or show blatant skill.

Wtf is happening. fewer buttons? Thank god the PC platform isnt effected by this ****

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Wow they are stupid, the D-pad is hardly used in games? Urm, it's used in like every shooting game, and games where you can switch items and such. Their idea of a perfect controller would be rubbish, 6 buttons just wouldn't work with todays games. The Wii remote uses motion sensing and yet it still has like 11 buttons.
Antikyth3ra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Antikyth3ra
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts

This just in.. Best controller ever = 104-Key US Keyboard. :roll: