Anyone Jazzed for Sony's Kinect Device?

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22689 Posts

We've heard about the exclusives and the hardware that lean to core gamers, but what about the Sony Kinect camera device they have one of their biggest developers working on?  Seems like sony really wants that wiinect pot o' gold... and rightfully so... the competition has been cashing in for years now, making money and sony wants in.  Been reading a lot of lofty hype the past few days but mum on this... Anyone care to give an impression?

Sony Kinect

Media Molecule going the same route as Rare? :P 

sony kinect

What we saw only days ago...

wiips4 guy

Where is the buzz system wars!?!? 

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
funny how cows completely "forgot" about that part of the press conference. Sony still desperately trying to sell to casuals with rip offs and gimmicks
nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nextgenjoke
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts
funny how cows completely "forgot" about that part of the press conference. Sony still desperately trying to sell to casuals with rip offs and gimmicks mems_1224
lol the core games outnumbered the move. xbox side the kinect games outnumber the core
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]funny how cows completely "forgot" about that part of the press conference. Sony still desperately trying to sell to casuals with rip offs and gimmicks nextgenjoke
lol the core games outnumbered the move. xbox side the kinect games outnumber the core

Prove it
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]funny how cows completely "forgot" about that part of the press conference. Sony still desperately trying to sell to casuals with rip offs and gimmicks nextgenjoke

they havent even had a conference yet?
nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nextgenjoke
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts
[QUOTE="nextgenjoke"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]funny how cows completely "forgot" about that part of the press conference. Sony still desperately trying to sell to casuals with rip offs and gimmicks TheEroica

expect halo,forza,gears and 10 kinect games
SuperNovaftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 SuperNovaftw
Member since 2013 • 2500 Posts

Thanks for reminding me MR.Eroica. I cant wait hopefully sony will support the move I am so happy thats its coming to ps4. My dust move wands will be back in action!

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

funny how cows completely "forgot" about that part of the press conference. Sony still desperately trying to sell to casuals with rip offs and gimmicks mems_1224
I don't think it is like Kinect; But I want to try what MM is working on because I like sculpting in 3D sculpting programs so I would love to see how it compares to other 3D design programs I used.

SuperNovaftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 SuperNovaftw
Member since 2013 • 2500 Posts

Imagine a real boxing game now unlike the trash that is "The fight" or whatever it's called. A real sports game. A real fitness game. LOL who needs the park?

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts
MM will never go Rare route, they faster close studio then doing that, they are bunch of too abitious devlopers to do so
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Lems hate it, cows hate it, everyone hates it. Yet lems love Kinect... How curious!
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheEroica  Moderator

Just to add... The majority of knocks against MS has been that they will show a direction towards Kinect... Sony spent a significant portion of their show highlighting their own kinect device yet we don't want to discuss it? c'mon guys we can't hide from the things we fear.... 

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
The part I find funny is all the cows saying just wait till E3 to defend the lackluster Sony event. The trouble with that is the Sony E3 will be filled with stuff like motion controls. They have a sixaxis/move controller, normal move controllers, and a camera that comes with every PS4. Sony last gen had 3 different motion controls at different stages of the PS3 but this gen they are doing it all at the same time. Sony is clearly invested in motion controls.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheEroica  Moderator
Lems hate it, cows hate it, everyone hates it. Yet lems love Kinect... How curious!JohnF111
lems love kinect? really?
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nintendo_Ownes7

Just to add... The majority of knocks against MS has been that they will show a direction towards Kinect... Sony spent a significant portion of their show highlighting their own kinect device yet we don't want to discuss it? c'mon guys we can't hide from the things we fear.... 

TheEroica

I don't think it is a kinect device (I think I missed them talking about that) But I did like what MM was showing with the 3D sculpting using Move and I want to try that. I'm currently using a free program called Sculptris for my one class and it is a lot of fun.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

I wonder if it can work with the light on the dualshock. That could be interesting ...

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CanYouDiglt

Can you define what a core game is first? In your opinion what does it take to be core?
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="nextgenjoke"][QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="nextgenjoke"] lol the core games outnumbered the move. xbox side the kinect games outnumber the core

expect halo,forza,gears and 10 kinect games

ok so we got from sony Killzone, Infamous, drive club and a kinect game. Doubt ms will roll out 10 kinect games like you fantasize about. if they announce 3 exclusives and a direction with kinect then its an even playing field right?
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nintendo_Ownes7

I wonder if it can work with the light on the dualshock. That could be interesting ...

KiZZo1

I think you can use Dualshock 4 because it has the light similar to Move.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheEroica  Moderator
The part I find funny is all the cows saying just wait till E3 to defend the lackluster Sony event. The trouble with that is the Sony E3 will be filled with stuff like motion controls. They have a sixaxis/move controller, normal move controllers, and a camera that comes with every PS4. Sony last gen had 3 different motion controls at different stages of the PS3 but this gen they are doing it all at the same time. Sony is clearly invested in motion controls.CanYouDiglt
of course they are... and their lack of relevant success with them has led to a defensive position with cows that, "sony only does core", when in fact we all know they just failed with casual and are rebooting to have another go at it...
ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ShadowriverUB

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

I don't think it is a kinect device (I think I missed them talking about that) But I did like what MM was showing with the 3D sculpting using Move and I want to try that. I'm currently using a free program called Sculptris for my one class and it is a lot of fun.

It's not Kinect device, kinect use IR for 3D scan of 3D space, but 3D camera can do better body tracking then 2D camera by compaireing pixel postions + it will provide better depth tracking for Move controller.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]funny how cows completely "forgot" about that part of the press conference. Sony still desperately trying to sell to casuals with rip offs and gimmicks Nintendo_Ownes7

I don't think it is like Kinect; But I want to try what MM is working on because I like sculpting in 3D sculpting programs so I would love to see how it compares to other 3D design programs I used.

like move isn't like a wii mote? ok :roll:
GLove093093

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GLove093093
Member since 2010 • 57 Posts
Rip offs? Eyetoy or whatever it was called is older than Kinect.
ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShadowriverUB

[QUOTE="KiZZo1"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

I think you can use Dualshock 4 because it has the light similar to Move.

DS4 Move is not fully compatible with Move controller. First of specs that been flying around say that DS4 will only have SixAxis (Accelerometer+Gyro) but it will missing magnetometer that is in Move allowing to get more accurate horizontal angle + DS4 light is not a ball, ball shape of Move contrller light allows to be visible in any angle controller is (except controller eclipsing when you hold it in opposite angle to camera), DS4 light can be seen only on front
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
sig
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]funny how cows completely "forgot" about that part of the press conference. Sony still desperately trying to sell to casuals with rip offs and gimmicks mems_1224

I know that Move is like the Wii Remote; I just didn't hear when Sony mentioned about the 3D Camera which works different from Kinect.

I still said that it looks cool how you could sculpt using the move and that 3D camera.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Wow what a dense thread. There's been an abundance of them since the ps4 unveil. Microsoft fanboys are a hardcore bunch, apparently. I think the worry is that they know they might have to swallow their pride next gen and buy a Playstation. ...I thought everybody was always excited about new hardware.
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts
Couldn't care less about eye-toy/move/touchpad, crappy gimmicks that bump up the cost of the hardware and add nothing that interests me. I sincerely hope that the camera doesn't make the cut in the lower priced package.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]funny how cows completely "forgot" about that part of the press conference. Sony still desperately trying to sell to casuals with rip offs and gimmicks mems_1224

It sure is, just without the sales...
ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ShadowriverUB

Wii mote have exact same problem as DS4 i mention in post above, WiiMote works in inverted way to Move, theres IR camera on controller that views Sensor bar (which is not sensor at all, it's just bunch of IR diodes), IR camera angle is limited, so if you put it in 90deg angle it loses sence of postion. There for scalping like that using WiiMote is impossible.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CanYouDiglt
[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]The part I find funny is all the cows saying just wait till E3 to defend the lackluster Sony event. The trouble with that is the Sony E3 will be filled with stuff like motion controls. They have a sixaxis/move controller, normal move controllers, and a camera that comes with every PS4. Sony last gen had 3 different motion controls at different stages of the PS3 but this gen they are doing it all at the same time. Sony is clearly invested in motion controls.TheEroica
of course they are... and their lack of relevant success with them has led to a defensive position with cows that, "sony only does core", when in fact we all know they just failed with casual and are rebooting to have another go at it...

For the PS3 they renamed the Eyetoy into the Playstaytion eye, they had the Sixaxis, and they had the move. Like you said before the cows want to give a image they only want to do "core" games which is not true. Of course they have what is considered "core" games but even beyond the motion controls Sony has really gone towards the family friendly gaming experience. The games like Ratchet, Sly, Sackboy or even a better example is the very first game they wanted to show off what the PS4 can do was Knack.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheEroica  Moderator

Wow what a dense thread. There's been an abundance of them since the ps4 unveil. Microsoft fanboys are a hardcore bunch, apparently. I think the worry is that they know they might have to swallow their pride next gen and buy a Playstation. ...I thought everybody was always excited about new hardware.Heirren
Interesting way to "answer" a thread... defensive much? It's a simple question and I mean no hostility about it... its just that we've watched an unveiling of the DIRECTION of the playstation brand and that direction included a rather large emphasis, along with hardware on a playstation future that includes the embrace of motion controls, as dictated by one of their most coveted developers.

I find it funny that you bring up the "abundance" of threads since the ps4 unveil, yet they've all been centered around specs or core games or whatever and each thread grows hype in a similar fashion to pre launch vita levels... Why is it that no one wants to address the motion control devices/software, sony is emphasising? I don't see anything wrong with commenting on it, rather than just acting defensive and hoping to avoid the acknowledgment of what sony is giving you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Wow what a dense thread. There's been an abundance of them since the ps4 unveil. Microsoft fanboys are a hardcore bunch, apparently. I think the worry is that they know they might have to swallow their pride next gen and buy a Playstation. ...I thought everybody was always excited about new hardware.TheEroica

Interesting way to "answer" a thread... defensive much? It's a simple question and I mean no hostility about it... its just that we've watched an unveiling of the DIRECTION of the playstation brand and that direction included a rather large emphasis, along with hardware on a playstation future that includes the embrace of motion controls, as dictated by one of their most coveted developers.

I find it funny that you bring up the "abundance" of threads since the ps4 unveil, yet they've all been centered around specs or core games or whatever and each thread grows hype in a similar fashion to pre launch vita levels... Why is it that no one wants to address the motion control devices/software, sony is emphasising? I don't see anything wrong with commenting on it, rather than just acting defensive and hoping to avoid the acknowledgment of what sony is giving you.

The direction was so obviously the core gamer market. The fact they are choosing to support a device(move) which some people bought this gen, is also a positive sign. It's a sign of good faith. I've read only positive news about the reveal. My response in no way read as defensive. It was an observation of forum members trying to create some kind of negativity around the device when in reality it's been all positive.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#35 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I don't care about Eye Toy 3.0.

I won't care about Eye Toy 3.5 with Voice Recognition and Twice the power of Eye Toy 2.0 and 3.0 combined. (talking about Kinect 2.0)

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CanYouDiglt

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Wow what a dense thread. There's been an abundance of them since the ps4 unveil. Microsoft fanboys are a hardcore bunch, apparently. I think the worry is that they know they might have to swallow their pride next gen and buy a Playstation. ...I thought everybody was always excited about new hardware.Heirren

The direction was so obviously the core gamer market. The fact they are choosing to support a device(move) which some people bought this gen, is also a positive sign. It's a sign of good faith. I've read only positive news about the reveal. My response in no way read as defensive. It was an observation of forum members trying to create some kind of negativity around the device when in reality it's been all positive.

Sony supports the move it is good faith but Microsoft supports Kinect they are casuals that are ruining gaming.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50567 Posts

Only on this ridiculous site can you be considered ripping off another company by releasing your product first...

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Wow what a dense thread. There's been an abundance of them since the ps4 unveil. Microsoft fanboys are a hardcore bunch, apparently. I think the worry is that they know they might have to swallow their pride next gen and buy a Playstation. ...I thought everybody was always excited about new hardware.Heirren

I dont think that anybody would claim that the conference didnt lay a positive groundwork for sony... I myself gave the conference a solid B. some real promise, a nice base of exclusives and multiplats and some new connectivity features that may or may not be all that relevant, but lets be real... Sony absolutely made a distinct and rather pointed statement that they are putting an emphasis on casual/motion controlled gaming... They spent upwards of 15 minutes covering a genre of casual gaming at their REVEAL conference and laid it out with both a new piece of hardware as well as a top developer.

See the thing that confuses me is that somehow it's ok to claim that the new xbox is going 100% casual/kinect, even though we've never seen the console and know nothing about it, yet Sony put motion controls IN OUR FACES earlier this week and some folk still want to pretend that sony is 100% core.... Why are we so afraid to talk about it?

Saying that the motion portion was a "sign of good faith" hold no weight Im afraid... A sign of good faith would be to release a game every now and again from some low level developer to try and maintain some type of an ecosystem for a device that may be all but shut in... Sony chose to HIGHLIGHT a major portion of their conference to debut both a new piece of hardware and expose one of their biggest developers latest creation...  Isn't it fair that we discuss it and the direction of sony's product?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheEroica  Moderator

Only on this ridiculous site can you be considered ripping off another company by releasing your product first...

Chutebox
what does that even mean? I don't think anyone cares about who is ripping who off, I just want to hear from people their thoughts on this clear and direct leap into the next gen casual market...
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

TheEroica

what does that even mean? I don't think anyone cares about who is ripping who off, I just want to hear from people their thoughts on this clear and direct leap into the next gen casual market...

You called it a Kinect device and mems on his usually trolling.

And honestly, I don't care for motion tech anymore.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] Interesting way to "answer" a thread... defensive much? It's a simple question and I mean no hostility about it... its just that we've watched an unveiling of the DIRECTION of the playstation brand and that direction included a rather large emphasis, along with hardware on a playstation future that includes the embrace of motion controls, as dictated by one of their most coveted developers.

CanYouDiglt

Sony supports the move it is good faith but Microsoft supports Kinect they are casuals that are ruining gaming.

I'm not supporting the whole MS ruining gaming, but at least Sony supports it on core titles. I honestly don't know if MS does that at all or to what degree.
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

About as much as ya'll were jazzed for Microsoft's EyeToy device?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chutebox  Online

Shewgenja
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Chutebox

You called it a Kinect device and mems on his usually trolling.

And honestly, I don't care for motion tech anymore.

and thus won't acknowledge it if MS has a conference where it highlights a new kinect game, a few core games and a few multiplats?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] Interesting way to "answer" a thread... defensive much? It's a simple question and I mean no hostility about it... its just that we've watched an unveiling of the DIRECTION of the playstation brand and that direction included a rather large emphasis, along with hardware on a playstation future that includes the embrace of motion controls, as dictated by one of their most coveted developers.

TheEroica

I dont think that anybody would claim that the conference didnt lay a positive groundwork for sony... I myself gave the conference a solid B. some real promise, a nice base of exclusives and multiplats and some new connectivity features that may or may not be all that relevant, but lets be real... Sony absolutely made a distinct and rather pointed statement that they are putting an emphasis on casual/motion controlled gaming... They spent upwards of 15 minutes covering a genre of casual gaming at their REVEAL conference and laid it out with both a new piece of hardware as well as a top developer.

See the thing that confuses me is that somehow it's ok to claim that the new xbox is going 100% casual/kinect, even though we've never seen the console and know nothing about it, yet Sony put motion controls IN OUR FACES earlier this week and some folk still want to pretend that sony is 100% core.... Why are we so afraid to talk about it?

Saying that the motion portion was a "sign of good faith" hold no weight Im afraid... A sign of good faith would be to release a game every now and again from some low level developer to try and maintain some type of an ecosystem for a device that may be all but shut in... Sony chose to HIGHLIGHT a major portion of their conference to debut both a new piece of hardware and expose one of their biggest developers latest creation...  Isn't it fair that we discuss it and the direction of sony's product?

15 minutes of 90 minutes. The difference between Sony with Move and Kinect with Microsoft is that Sony views Move as an addition to the Playstation line, whereas Kinect is integral--and even built into--the next Xbox. This is a huge difference. Sony has been laying the groundwork for the brand again over the last few years, really. They've got far more core game releases than ms has over more recent times. Sure they may not be all that great every time, but the fact of the matter is the money is going into game design and not gimmicks like Kinect. Microsoft is facing a similar problem to Nintendos. They're adding technology to a console outside the innards of the box. Kinect 2 will certainly add to the cost, or in effect short change the actual hardware to save costs. Sony is playing the smartest game so far.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheEroica  Moderator

Shewgenja
is that a question? See I'm ok with my gamer self... as in games are meant to bring me joy and evolve, thats it.... Im always excited to see whats next and then formulate an opinion based on what I see... so yeah, of course im interested in the xbox eye toy... ;) doesn't mean I'll like it, but interested. Why are sony fans pretending that the casual segment didnt happen?
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
I am Sony has done it right and should be a model for MS. We all know MS dropped core to chase the Wii's pot of gold, I expect them to blatantly copy Sony's latest innovative tech. Having MM behind you is also pretty awesome and I'm buying whatever they're selling.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
You could almost hear the collective "FFS" in the PS4 sticky thread during the "making turd people with PS Move" segment. People in this forum will care about Move/Eyetoy/Kinect this gen about as much as last gen. ie, they won't.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#49 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
this is the major selling point for the ps4 for me. i dont care about the video editor, the live stream features, or the hibernation-like shutoff and power-on system in place. what i really care about is using another innovative design from sony, microsoft, or nintendo. now i dont even have to sit down with a controller anymore when im with my bros. we can move around and do fun activities whenever we have frat parties on saturday nights (i usually have about 2 beers and get wasted on fridays, so im in no shape to play ANYTHING on those nights). i can just see us now listening to some five finger death punch, drinking half a natty light, and just dude-bro'ing all night while playing on such a creative device.
GeForce-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GeForce-
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts
As long as they keep the shovelware in minimum, I'm happy.