Anyone feel like...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Since I got my 500 posts recently I decided to give them a good use by helping out a fellow who got their thread locked

Orignal thread here

-------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone feel like PS4... isn't trying??? I know it feels weird to say that, but to me, it almost feels like with the launch success of the console, they've put it in cruise control, and playing it conservative. They've done very little to make me feel like i need a PS4, NOW. I'm a playstation guy, and I know games like Uncharted are coming... but as for now, Sony appears to the playing it safe. in 2014 their key games are mostly re-releases.

On the other hand, Xbox is playing catch up, if you will... and are running lots of appealing sales/promotions , unique bundles to get people to buy their system. They've got some nice exclusives coming up as well.

This makes me wonder, how long this trend will continue and if/when Sony will react. My plan is to buy a PS4... but if this continues, i may start to second guess my reasoning.

Not to mention the Wii is heating up with a lot of released coming from September 2014 and on... I don't think they will have much barring on the Xbox/Sony war, but could end up being moderately success as people may be getting "tired" of shooters and lack of innovative ideas. The Wii U is a fresh alternative to those two competing consoles.

THoughts??

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I feel the opposite and I own all the consoles, handhelds, and some gaming PCs which I LAN.

I think Sony is trying and I think Gamescom revealed that. I certainly can vouch on the $50 PS+ (Playstation Plus) vs. $60 GwG (Games with Gold) front. As an owner of both new machines, I see the exact opposite. I think Xbox execs aren't trying hard enough. A deal like Tomb Raider doesn't effect me because that game was coming to Xbox 360 and Xbone anyways. Now the other versions PC, PS3, PS4 have been shelved, but as an Xbone owner that announcement did nothing for me. I'm not a TR fan, I got the last game free, but if I was the game was coming regardless. I would much rather Xbox execs invest in new IPs and new games instead of having multiplats shelved into timed exclusives. That doesn't register with me as "trying". To each their own as I have more to say.

If we look at games on both platforms, look at both side by side from November launch till now...literally the PS4 has more games than Xbone. That's just pure numbers. Again, if you are talking about who's trying, I see one company with a platform the same age as the other company getting more games to consumers in a short span of time. I'll move on...

The Wii U is the best right now to me, but that said, the Wii U had an Extra year (launch 2012) to get more games out and I'm still riding on the highs of 2013. I owned a Wii U since launch and that first year wasn't pretty at first, but it picked up at the tale end and I was so happy. We haven't gotten to that point yet as the PS4/Xbone aren't even a year old yet. I haven't bought one Wii U game this year but I plan on getting 2014's SSB. If I was into racers, Mario Kart 8 would have been cool 2014 game to pick up though.

It terms of being played, I play the Wii U>>PS4>>>Xbone.

That said, my PC and PS3 are getting WAY MORE PLAYTIME over any of the above three. To a lesser extent, my 360 and Wii as well. That's the beauty of a backlog. This always happens. The old machines start cranking out fantastic games and the new machines can't compete at first. Every generation this cycle continues. I went through this when the 360 was new, still finishing off Xbox, PS2, and GC games. I went through this when the PS2/Dreamcast were new, still playing N64 and PS1 games. Sega Genesis, SNES were being played when the PS1/Saturn and later N64 released. I played SNES classic ChronoTrigger in 1995, the launch year of the PS1/Saturn! I played the PS1 classic ChronoCross when the PS2 and Dreamcast were out.

I'm always surprised by gamers expecting more out of launch year consoles.

Regarding the PS4 and Xbone:

PS+ is $50 a year. Xbox Live Gold is $60 a year. The PS4 was $400 at launch. Xbone was $500. For whatever reason, the more expensive console with the more expensive service (Xbone and XBLG) didn't kick in their "free" GwG games until June. If you shop, you can find deals for these services and machines and games, but that's beside the point.

Since November launch, PS+ has kicked in 14 free PS+ games and my Xbone since launch has kicked in 5 free GwG games. Yes, that's right, the company that is supposedly trying harder, delivered less free games? I doubt the previous TC of this point was being legit, or at the very least he hasn't done his due diligence.

Let me put this another way:

14 free PS+ games >>>>> 5 free GwG games. That's me speaking as a launch owner of both.

Since June when Xbone started GwG (Games with Gold) finally, I got 5 free GwG games and in that same period PS4 got 7 free PS+ games.

That's coming as a launch owner of both machines that subscribes to both services.

If you go to Metacritic, there is also a higher quality titles being released on PS+ over GwG, but that's just a side point. One might also be inclined to mention the power difference between the two machines (PS4>>Xbone) gives a multiplat advantage to the PS4. That's whatever to me, but it's worth a sentence.

Another point is longevity. Sony is supporting their with 1st party titles on PS3 where the 360 and Wii did not. We saw the same on PS2 vs. the GC and Xbox. We also saw the same on PS1 vs. N64 and Sega Saturn. That's one advantage the PS4 has. Once Sony pulls their might off PS3 support which is starting to happen, those 1st party studios will crank out games for the PS4. It's tilted now as the PS4 is so young, but in a few years, you'll see the payoff. If history repeats again, which all indicators point too, the PS4 will get more 1st party support in the long-run over the Xbone and Wii U when the successors are releasing (WiiWii 2U, Xbox 180, PS5, etc). This is even better when we consider the PS4 is so easy to develop for and the sales are phenomenal that even 3rd party support should last a long, long time.

That definitely helps me turn on the PS4 more than my Xbone. The best thing recently was the amazing PS4 P.T. demo which is exclusive to the PS4 at this time. The P.T. teaser demo stealthily snuck it's way onto the PS4 during Gamescom. What a reveal! I won't explain how amazing the execution of the secret was revealed, but I recommend gamers that are able to take a peak at that hidden demo on the PS4 store if you like survival horror. It's also a very good looking game and I won't say more than that.

Have a good one.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I think they're fine. I mean look at the Vita. That's not trying there.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

You got to love it when trolls make these idiotic nitpick bashing posts about something sony related while praising MS and include the "I'm a playstation guy" line in their rant as if it gives them some kind of credibility.

If you were a playstation guy you wouldn't make such a dumb thread. There is nothing that MS is doing good that they aren't being forced to do because PS4 is already doing it better.

How dose Sony naming more high profile exclusive games at gamescom 2014 then MS demonstrate them being on "cruse control"? You sound like an idiot.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

In terms of games, I think this topic is dumb as hell. They just blew M$ out of the water at Gamescom and they have more announcements coming at TGS. Seriously, the amount of variety was unreal. And we haven't even heard from some of their biggest studios like Guerilla and Polyphony.

M$ is desperate to sale consoles. They are having these "deals" because they have no choice.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

Silly that you have to repost the thread when we all agreed it was fine. I know the point of the 500 rule, but you're doing more harm than good. You're basically turning off potentially good posters just to avoid a few dodge accounts which are going to happen anyway.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidTy

@SolidGame_basic said:

Silly that you have to repost the thread when we all agreed it was fine. I know the point of the 500 rule, but you're doing more harm than good. You're basically turning off potentially good posters just to avoid a few dodge accounts which are going to happen anyway.

Well to be fair, some of the other forums that don't have that rule see a lot more spam bots creating threads and pushing down legit threads as well. So, you are also controlling spam as long as dodge accounts out of the mix. It gets really bad sometimes.

Not that I care, but I am just telling you of an observation I made in other forums (Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, etc).

which_wich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 which_wich
Member since 2014 • 189 Posts

500 posts is a bit far fetched and I still think it's stupid but whatever. Anyway, Sony is trying. But I'd like to see more FPS new IPs more up the line of Killzone and Resistance. I'd like to see more shooters and I can demand shooters from sony knowing that there's still going to be variety apart from racing game...Can't say the same for M$

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

Thanks Roler... I appreciate it.

I see your points SolidTY... my Wii U and PS3 have plenty of titles to be played. That's why i'm not in a big rush with PS4. I'm trying to determine when would be a good time to buy, and really i don't see a good time yet. I'm very excited to Batman, Mortal KOmbat, and Uncharted... but they don't have Firm release dates, and won't be until 2015 anyways. So like i said in the title, PS is kinda on cruise control, in terms of pushing more units "at the moment"

As for Kinect and Poster ... please enlighten me what th0se "major" releases Sony announced at gamescom that blew MS out the water? Like which games are going to be better than the sequel to tomb raider. I care more about quality than quantity.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SolidTy

@The-Butcher248:

This is an attempt to bring the original TC back.

---

EDIT: LOL, the previous/original TC showed up a few seconds before this post.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@The-Butcher248 said:

Thanks Roler... I appreciate it.

I see your points SolidTY... my Wii U and PS3 have plenty of titles to be played. That's why i'm not in a big rush with PS4. I'm trying to determine when would be a good time to buy, and really i don't see a good time yet. I'm very excited to Batman, Mortal KOmbat, and Uncharted... but they don't have Firm release dates, and won't be until 2015 anyways. So like i said in the title, PS is kinda on cruise control, in terms of pushing more units "at the moment"

As for Kinect and Poster ... please enlighten me what th0se "major" releases Sony announced at gamescom that blew MS out the water? Like which games are going to be better than the sequel to tomb raider. I care more about quality than quantity.

there's no comeback from this ^

/thread

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

They're trying. They're just trying to build that indie scene until some of the bigger titles come out later this year and next year. At least from my perspective.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

PS4 is just fine - it's historically in a stronger position than pretty much any other console ever, in regards to both software and hardware. Even if you look at the entirety of Sony's upcoming offerings, realize that there's still many projects under wraps at Santa Monica, Sony Bend, Media Molecule, Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, etc.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

This is too much work

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Not really. It takes time to develop games and we're less than 1 year into console launch. Compare what this system has to what was available on any console last gen this length after its release. We haven't even gotten a full first wave of games from all of their first party studios yet. What we did get, I fear was mostly rushed.

MS is "trying" sure, if you are cool with them buying temporary exclusive deals or deals for just 1 game. It's a great short term problem and it's definitely giving them games and denying the competition games RIGHT NOW, but you cannot honestly believe this strategy to by feasible for the entire gen. Quite simply, they are going to have to make some damn games of their own in the long run and when it comes to that, they are at a tremendous disadvantage.

And it's going to be all about the games, I say. Because until anyone can prove otherwise, there isn't going to be any clear benefit this cloud shit brings that is so great that 3rd parties not under a contract for other reasons would let Microsoft run their games' servers for them. This isn't ps3 vs 360, there is no online advantage anymore. There is no system with super complicated hardware. ps4 has the numbers advantage and the power. Devs are going to naturally make games for it and demand for more and more money each time MS tries to change their minds about that.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I have to admit, aside from Infamous: Second Son, I don't have any other reason to buy a PS4. When it launched, I expected to be buying one this coming Black Friday, but instead, I think it will end up being next year's Black Friday that I end up buying it, but at this rate, it could end up waiting until 2016's Black Friday. Aside from The Last of Us (Haven't played it yet), all these remasters bore the piss out of me and my interest in the system dwindles with each remaster release. I am only interested in the exclusives for the PS4. Multiplats are reserved for PC.

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

I got a Playstation 4 at launch but just bought an Xbox One last weekend. I've been loving it, may even like it more than the PS4. I've got Forza 5, Titanfall, and Killer Instinct and they all kick ass. Then later this year Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, and Halo: The Master Chief Collection. I play PC games for multiplats, so in my mind the Xbox One is petty damn awesome. I guess the graphics may be slightly worse than the PS4s but barely so (not to mention the PC versions destroy the PS4 versions anyway) and only in certain games. You would have to compare screenshots side by side to tell the difference.The Xbox One is not the joke people make it out to be - the highly rated games actually are good, there are good games on then horizon like the ones I mentioned plus the multiplatform titles, and using apps and managing the interface is way easier and better done than on PS4. I think the Xbox will catch up.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

I'm not fiddling with some PC this gen. I did that last gen and the effort wasn't worth the reward. I've got other things going on in my life so when I bought the PS4 it was because I wanted the best selection of multiplatform and exclusives that a console can offer without the hassle. You already spent your money on a WiiU or PC or whatever is like saying you don't see the value of a BMW because you already have a a Lexus. It's not my problem you don't see the value, and it sure ain't gonna stop me from enjoying my BMW. Simple as that.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@UnbiasedPoster said:

In terms of games, I think this topic is dumb as hell. They just blew M$ out of the water at Gamescom and they have more announcements coming at TGS. Seriously, the amount of variety was unreal. And we haven't even heard from some of their biggest studios like Guerilla and Polyphony.

M$ is desperate to sale consoles. They are having these "deals" because they have no choice.

Yeah, I'm going with this. Sony has a good amount of stuff shown at E3, a decent amount at Gamescom, and there is still the unknown of what is left to show at TGS.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Yeah definitely, haven't been impressed by the indiestation at all.

I guess this is the result of Sony closing studios and cutting ties with others in the last few years. That and their dire financial situation means they try and chase cheap multiplat indies and cashroll them for timed console exclusivity.

Its a sad situation really, all that power wasted on what are basically spruced up flash games.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts
@UnbiasedPoster said:

. And we haven't even heard from some of their biggest studios like Guerilla and Polyphony.

I highly doubt either of those studios will produce a groundbreaking / revolutionary game. Guerilla will produce something comparable to the already released Killzone, and Polyphony will work on a new Grand Turismo game. I think the Guerilla studio game will be good, if your a fan of shooters. LIke i mentioned before I am not.. plus there is already a good amount of shooters already on PS4. The Grand Turismo racing game will be cool, but if you've played one recent racing game, you've played them all. Just my thoughts.

I'm holding on hope Santa Monica will drop something good. Maybe "everyone going to the Rapture" will be a new relevant franchise.

I know it takes time, but I feel like Uncharted/God of War / Infamous / Killzone is the core for Playstation. They've released Infamous and Killzone, but the other half could be FAR down the road. Killzone/Infamous didn't set the gaming world on fire either. I'm estimated Uncharted Holiday season 2015, and God of War 2016. Then with holding off on your top 2 franchise, and slowly phasing them out.... I thought they'd develop new IP's earlier to replace... but It's just not there yet.

Long story short... i keep telling myself "just be patient"

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

I'm not fiddling with some PC this gen. I did that last gen and the effort wasn't worth the reward. I've got other things going on in my life so when I bought the PS4 it was because I wanted the best selection of multiplatform and exclusives that a console can offer without the hassle. You already spent your money on a WiiU or PC or whatever is like saying you don't see the value of a BMW because you already have a a Lexus. It's not my problem you don't see the value, and it sure ain't gonna stop me from enjoying my BMW. Simple as that.

What's with the crybaby rant?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

If you don't have a gaming PC, this is the perfect time to get one. You will get superior versions of all of the upcoming multiplats, the biggest library of quality exclusives, and backwards compatibility to a library of games that stretches back decades. By the time you are tired of that, the Xbone/PS4 will be $300 or less and actually have some exclusives worth playing.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

They built a gaming console that will be getting video games both Triple A and indie.

Their own studios are taking awhile, because that's just the nature of the beast, and unfortunately for them third party are also taking awhile. But the PS4's future is looking borderline flawless if you have no desire to ever be a PC gamer. Even if you are it'll get Sony's usual first party games and third party games that might not go to PC (FF15, Kingdom Hearts 3, etc). It's Microsoft and Nintendo who aren't really trying if you think about it. Nintendo made a gaming console that doesn't get games except here and there, and it has nothing even close to resembling an online functionality.

Microsoft is Halo, Gears, Forza and some first party here and there, otherwise they've spent money on an NFL fantasy football app, they've spent money on a Tomb Raider release window, and they spent money on Call of Duty/Evolve DLC. That money could have funded an in house studio or an in house game. I understand that Microsoft's decision making is better business, but from a gaming enthusiasts point of view they aren't doing enough things like say bringing back Phantom Dust and funding something like Scalebound and Quantom Break. Do more of that type of stuff, and less exclusive release windows.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I feel SONY and the PS4 is on a ROLL. More games than I could possibly play.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

They built a gaming console that will be getting video games both Triple A and indie.

Their own studios are taking awhile, because that's just the nature of the beast, and unfortunately for them third party are also taking awhile. But the PS4's future is looking borderline flawless if you have no desire to ever be a PC gamer. Even if you are it'll get Sony's usual first party games and third party games that might not go to PC (FF15, Kingdom Hearts 3, etc). It's Microsoft and Nintendo who aren't really trying if you think about it. Nintendo made a gaming console that doesn't get games except here and there, and it has nothing even close to resembling an online functionality.

Microsoft is Halo, Gears, Forza and some first party here and there, otherwise they've spent money on an NFL fantasy football app, they've spent money on a Tomb Raider release window, and they spent money on Call of Duty/Evolve DLC. That money could have funded an in house studio or an in house game. I understand that Microsoft's decision making is better business, but from a gaming enthusiasts point of view they aren't doing enough things like say bringing back Phantom Dust and funding something like Scalebound and Quantom Break. Do more of that type of stuff, and less exclusive release windows.

MS also has Ryse, DR3, Sunset Overdrive, Inside, Below, Ori, Cuphead and Titanfall. Not sure why Sony gets points for trying by having PC multiplats and MS doesn't. Sony spends money on exclusive DLC too, or have you forgotten the Destiny marketing push?

To say MS isn't trying but Sony is makes no sense because they're doing the same thing.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

This gen im going to stick with the tried and tested formula of Nintendo/Sony/PC - Its a triple threat that just cant be beat. You get all the best exclusives and the best multiplatform games.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#31 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@joel_c17: That's my combo this gen *brohoof*. Wii U for exclusives, PC for games Wii U couldn't get and PS4 for games PC and Wii U couldn't get. 3DS for everything else, and maybe the Vita just to stop Charizard from telling me to buy it for P4G.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

@hiphops_savior said:

@joel_c17: That's my combo this gen *brohoof*. Wii U for exclusives, PC for games Wii U couldn't get and PS4 for games PC and Wii U couldn't get. 3DS for everything else, and maybe the Vita just to stop Charizard from telling me to buy it for P4G.

Yeah i would really recommend a vita - P4G is one of my favourite games of all time, but it also has some other awesome games too :)

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

It feels pretty much like the PS3 launch and for that matter (when talking first party) the PS2.

Sony, for better or worse, seems to keep most of their devs busy with production on their current machine until their new console is near launch, if not later.

Good News is you get high quality releases on the "legacy" machine late in the gen, and even after the new console releases.

Bad News is you have a light first party lineup for awhile on the new console. It's smart business, but it always creates pandemonium on the forums.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SolidTy

@santoron said:

It feels pretty much like the PS3 launch and for that matter (when talking first party) the PS2.

Sony, for better or worse, seems to keep most of their devs busy with production on their current machine until their new console is near launch, if not later.

Good News is you get high quality releases on the "legacy" machine late in the gen, and even after the new console releases.

Bad News is you have a light first party lineup for awhile on the new console. It's smart business, but it always creates pandemonium on the forums.

Well said.

Avatar image for thegreatgeneral
TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheGreatGeneral
Member since 2014 • 717 Posts

Thats because Sony is not in panic mode. They have their plan and they are sticking to it.

MS doing 180 every week and cutting price left and right is a sign of desperation because they cant seem to move the xbone. Look at the last E3 they announced most likely 2016 games with with CGI trailers for scalebound, Crackdown and Phantom dust. I dont think we saw a single 2016 game from Sony yet. Then at Gamescom MS only revealed a indie game "Screamride" I think it was called, while Sony put out one of the best Gamescom confences ever. Their timed moneyhat of Tomb raider a winter 2015 game shows us they themselves have nothing really to offer that could impress many.

Think about it we still dont know what the majority of Sony first party is bringing to the PS4, because Sony does not have problems moving the PS4.