Anyone else excited for Squadron 42?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I am! The return of the Wing Commander franchise with a different name. I couldn't be more excited. Everyone keeps talkin Star Citizen but Squadron 42 is what has my attention. What do u all think about it?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Yea, excited whenever it arrives. I need a new joystick though.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24923 Posts

I dont care about star citizen itself. only Squadron 42 is what matters.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vaidream45

@MirkoS77: lots of good joysticks around right now. CH products makes good old school ones and Saitek makes good futuristic ones. Can't remember the name of the new Saitek one but the colors are black and blue and it looks perfect for SQ42

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

Yeah man, i'm really hoping it is well supports the HTC Vive. That would be just awesome.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vaidream45

@jereb31: they already had VR working over a year ago. For sure its gonna work the Vive. I'll be reeeally surprised if it doesn't

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

after Citizencon 2015 , it's hard not to be excited for this game , the whole project sounds very promising

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vaidream45

@the_master_race: agreed!

I hope they do a uncharted 4 kinda thing where they won't release it until it's really ready. I am very stoked to finally have a cool space game to play after all these years. Mass Effect almost counts. Would be my favorite franchise ever if they included ship on ship combat with you behind the controls.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I am pumped for Sq 42. It's currently my most anticipated game. From actors to story and gameplay, everything sounds and looks so promising.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ghosts4ever

@Cloud_imperium said:

I am pumped for Sq 42. It's currently my most anticipated game. From actors to story and gameplay, everything sounds and looks so promising.

but blackroom will be best PC upcoming PC exclusive.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vaidream45

@ghosts4ever: I have high hopes for Blackroom as well. They cancelled their kickstarter though because they didn't have a gameplay demo. I hope they get there soon but I wouldn't expect Blackroom to come out for another few years after the Kickstarter since they don't have a working demo yet. Both of these games take me right back to the 90s lol.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cloud_imperium

@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

We have seen zero footage of Blackroom. The game sounds interesting but I won't say it's going to be best PC game without seeing any gameplay. Not to mention, at the end of the day, Blackroom will be just a fast paced shooters.

Squadron 42 on other hand is way more ambitious and has some of the best actors in the game, that will take storytelling to the next level. You are lucky if you get cast like that in a movie, and here we have Garry Oldman, Mark Hamill, Andy Serkis, Gillian Anderson and several others in one freaking game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghosts4ever

@Cloud_imperium said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

We have seen zero footage of Blackroom. The game sounds interesting but I won't say it's going to be best PC game without seeing any gameplay. Not to mention, at the end of the day, Blackroom will be just a fast paced shooters.

Squadron 42 on other hand is way more ambitious and has some of the best actors in the game, that will take storytelling to the next level. You are lucky if you get cast like that in a movie, and here we have Garry Oldman, Mark Hamill, Andy Serkis, Gillian Anderson and several others in one freaking game.

We have not seen footage of SQ42 either. I dont really care about what actors going to play in it. I care about game quality. they should not waste budget on actors instead of game quality.

Blackroom on other hand will be made by legend john romero. im excited for both games thought but blackroom is leap and bound above.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

We have not seen footage of SQ42 either. I dont really care about what actors going to play in it. I care about game quality. they should not waste budget on actors instead of game quality.

Blackroom on other hand will be made by legend john romero. im excited for both games thought but blackroom is leap and bound above.

Squadron 42 will have same gameplay mechanics as Star Citizen, which is currently playable. We already had story section sneak peak last year. So, it's not true that they didn't show anything related to Squadron 42. We just want to see more. On other hand, Blackroom have received zero footage, let alone playable parts of the game.

Blackroom is leap and bound above? How exactly? It's a retro shooter that is not doing anything revolutionary unlike Star Citizen/Squadron 42. And Origin Systems (the company Chris worked for in the 90s and 80s) had most influence over gaming world.

Origin guys opened their own studios like Looking Glass, Irrational Games, Digital Anvil, Arkane Studios and so on. Even today they continue to inspire new developers. Games like Underworld and System Shock INSPIRED Doom, Wolfenstein and Half Life. Ultima and Underworld were created by Origin employees/ex-employees. Chris Roberts made most expensive PC exclusives back in the 90s, and these games were the first to have ads in theaters. These games helped in making PC gaming more mainstream and gave them some of the most expensive AAA games of that time.

Actors do matter if the game is story based like Squadron 42 which will have lengthy conversations and scripted events. Good acting enhances storytelling. If voice actors are annoying as hell, then the game becomes chore to play. Rather have text based game instead of poor voice acting. In Squadron 42, you have world class actors that will take emotionally engaging moments to the next level. These things are very important for creating believable and immersive worlds where characters feel alive and act like actual human beings.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghosts4ever

@Cloud_imperium said:

Blackroom is leap and bound above? How exactly? It's a retro shooter that is not doing anything revolutionary unlike Star Citizen/Squadron 42. And Origin Systems (the company Chris worked for in the 90s and 80s) had most influence over gaming world.

and Squadron 42 is modern wing commander..

Blackroom is bringing innovation in old School FPS genre. its a type of shooter that we have never seen before. and romero is master at level design.

even daikatana which failed has great level design.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cloud_imperium

@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

and Squadron 42 is modern wing commander..

Blackroom is bringing innovation in old School FPS genre. its a type of shooter that we have never seen before. and romero is master at level design.

even daikatana which failed has great level design.

Squadron 42 isn't just modern Wing Commander. The game had no First Person on ground sections or FPS mechanics. In every mission you leave carrier, shoot bunch of enemies and return to your ship. This time there will be more variety (Example: Go dogfight pirates -> Now raid their base -> Find data about secret location -> Land on planet to take them out on foot).

During Carrier moments in WC, you click on different characters like Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty to chat with them. In Squadron 42 you actually walk around in 3D environment. Ship damage system is beyond anything ever seen in video games, graphics are best in the industry and instead of watching FMV movies, you'll be able to walk around the environments during most scripted sequences.

Now I'm not saying Blackroom will suck. I'm really looking forward to it and both games have yet to prove themselves but Blackroom is definitely not as ambitious as Star Citizen/Squadron 42 is planned to be. Why are we even having this discussion.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Yea, excited whenever it arrives. I need a new joystick though.

About that... I have a X52 pro Hotass, it won't control very well in beta. Especially when you use gimbled weapons. It's a lot easier to fly and kill stuff with a mouse/keyboard. Maybe that will change but look into it before you spend a lot of money on a joystick!

I'm move excited about Star Citizen than S42 but only because I have 2 ships reserved that I really want to fly and that won't be in S42.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

I'm totally looking forward to Squadron 42, one of those sci-fi games I need to play that badly and I'm also gonna take a one week off work just for Squadron 42 and can't wait to test it out on the new GTX 1070.

@Cloud_imperium said:

Thinking about doing a hype thread Squadron 42 Cloud?

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I'm hyped for both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen. The games are the most ambitious games happening right now. I've been dreaming about a game like this for around 30 years, so I'm ready.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cloud_imperium

@davillain- said:

I'm totally looking forward to Squadron 42, one of those sci-fi games I need to play that badly and I'm also gonna take a one week off work just for Squadron 42 and can't wait to test it out on the new GTX 1070.

@Cloud_imperium said:

Thinking about doing a hype thread Squadron 42 Cloud?

May be.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I'm a golden ticket holder, original backer and subscriber. I backed the game on the premise of Squadron 42, when the persistent universe was a "possibly, maybe, we really want to do it but we need see how much money we get first" thing.

Chris Roberts is the grandmaster of the movie game, the likes of Naughty Dogs and Remedy can only follow. What no one else has managed to emulate in their movie games is an engaging and branching story that evolves based on how you play and how you get on with your ship mates. Failing a single objectives in a simple CAP can take the story in a very different direction, especially if one of your wingmen dies.

In Wing commander you can get all the way through the game and 'lose' in the final mission because of what went on before you got to that stage. I doubt that Squadron 42 will be any different.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@vaidream45@jereb31: If Star Citizen or Squadron 42 has good VR support it will be my number one reason to buy a VR set. These types of games work real well with VR.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

What is it about?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GarGx1

@unrealgunner said:

What is it about?

Essentially, Squadron 42 is the elite fighter squadron of the United Earth Empire. The game will follow the old system of you're a rookie pilot in a war with the Vanduul (EA own the Kilrathi). At the start of the game you join a frigate on the fringes of Earth's empire, well away from the war zone. Things will happen, people will die and you'll work your way up the ranks and eventually into Squadron 42.

Not much more is known and that's all I'll let myself know before the game launches. Hopefully C.I.G. won't say much more than that either.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Definite yes.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cloud_imperium

@GarGx1 said:

I'm a golden ticket holder, original backer and subscriber. I backed the game on the premise of Squadron 42, when the persistent universe was a "possibly, maybe, we really want to do it but we need see how much money we get first" thing.

Chris Roberts is the grandmaster of the movie game, the likes of Naughty Dogs and Remedy can only follow. What no one else has managed to emulate in their movie games is an engaging and branching story that evolves based on how you play and how you get on with your ship mates. Failing a single objectives in a simple CAP can take the story in a very different direction, especially if one of your wingmen dies.

In Wing commander you can get all the way through the game and 'lose' in the final mission because of what went on before you got to that stage. I doubt that Squadron 42 will be any different.

Most people don't even know, how amazing game is in the works right now. Hell, a lot of them don't even know that Squadron 42 is a thing. I really hope they'll start advertising Squadron 42 soon because only PU gets all the hype and Sq42 deserves more of that. Hope to see more at E3.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever

@unrealgunner said:

What is it about?

Its storyline space combat sim/FPS hybrid. basically wing commander with FPS gameplay.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GarGx1

@Cloud_imperium said:
@GarGx1 said:

Most people don't even know, how amazing game is in the works right now. Hell, a lot of them don't even know that Squadron 42 is a thing. I really hope they'll start advertising Squadron 42 soon because only PU gets all the hype and Sq42 deserves more of that. Hope to see more at E3.

This I agree with, they need to do some kind of advertising (without any spoilers) but they are limited due to the money all going to development.

Everything they do in the way of marketing is down to the subscribers giving a bit extra for non development projects. I'm hoping they do some Squadron 42 hyping in the PC show at E3 this year but I have a feeling they'll focus more on 1.4 and persistence being added to the baby PU.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I had totally forgotten that I still have to get my free copies of Star Citizen and Squadron 42 since I got my AMD card. I stopped playing Arena Commander because of too many downloads for very little updates. Honestly I just care for Squadron 42, I just want a modern Wing Commander.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Yeah, star fighter sims are one of my favorite genres, and I'm also way more interested in Squadron 42 than Star Citizen.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghosts4ever

@Cloud_imperium said:
@GarGx1 said:

tbh, if SQ42 was not a thing i would not care about star citizen itself.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@GarGx1 said:

E3 this year is their last chance to put SQ42 in a big spotlight. I really hope they waste it by just talking about PU updates.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
deactivated-5a8875b6c648f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
Member since 2015 • 954 Posts

I'll be properly excited when they show off more gameplay.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ghosts4ever

Giving all hope for squadron 42. at this point this is just a scam. and no they are not going to show at citizencon later this year. only PU.

http://twinfinite.net/2016/05/star-citizen-developer-drops-e3/

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cloud_imperium

^^ Well that's shame. Looks like just like last year, they'll be focusing more on Gamescon for PU and Citizen Con for Squadron 42.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghosts4ever

@Cloud_imperium said:

^^ Well that's shame. Looks like just like last year, they'll be focusing more on Gamescon for PU and Citizen Con for Squadron 42.

give up all hope. its another half life 3 which will never release except half life 3 never announced.

i wont be surprised if they cancelled SQ42 and will made star citizen a F2P.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GarGx1
@Cloud_imperium said:

They have always focussed more on Gamescon, which is more PC focussed than E3. Still it's a shame they won't be there.

@ghosts4ever

If it's a scam, they're doing it wrong. you don't spend 10's of millions of dollars of your ill gotten games opening 4 studios (the largest of which - Manchester, is predominantly working on Squadron 42) and actually creating the product you asked people to fund. Scammers take what they can, as quickly as they can and disappear before the fraud squad come knocking.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58971 Posts

Hoping this is a mess - to giggle at all the rage; probably more entertaining than the game.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I am looking forward to it.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@ghosts4ever said:

Giving all hope for squadron 42. at this point this is just a scam. and no they are not going to show at citizencon later this year. only PU.

http://twinfinite.net/2016/05/star-citizen-developer-drops-e3/

E3 has never been an event for Star Citizen. CIG uses Gamescom in Germany and their own private event called Citizen Con.

They didn't stop development of Squadron 42 just because they didn't want to throw together something to show at E3.

ameerhaddad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ameerhaddad
Member since 2016 • 37 Posts

just hoping it will be exciting

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@Wasdie said:

E3 has never been an event for Star Citizen. CIG uses Gamescom in Germany and their own private event called Citizen Con.

They didn't stop development of Squadron 42 just because they didn't want to throw together something to show at E3.

and will still show us PU of star citizen and not the only thing that matters Squadron 42. because star citizen itself is not releasing anytime soon and SQ42 will release earlier so why not show us SQ42?

they may not but they didnot show us a single thing beside CGI trailer of gary oldman instead all their marketing was star citizen presistance universe.

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44 Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Hoping this is a mess - to giggle at all the rage; probably more entertaining than the game.

Haha that would be hilarious, we'll have to wait another decade for the game to release though.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Wasdie  Moderator

@ghosts4ever said:
@Wasdie said:

and will still show us PU of star citizen and not the only thing that matters Squadron 42. because star citizen itself is not releasing anytime soon and SQ42 will release earlier so why not show us SQ42?

they may not but they didnot show us a single thing beside CGI trailer of gary oldman instead all they marketing was star citizen presistance universe.

They don't want to spoil much of Squadron 42 and they don't have a large marketing budget. They can't just be throwing together E3 presentation stuff when it was never originally budgeted or planned.

They aren't a traditional AAA studio with a big marketing department funded by the publisher. They only have the money to run a few different, high quality presentations each year. They have to be wise about which ones they pick and choose. E3 was never a big one for them as that's pretty much a console show. The PC gaming show last year was a joke and I'm sure they don't want to bother with it again.

They are still making Squadron 42. If you would follow their weekly updates you would know that. They talk about it quite frequently they just made it very clear they are not showing us any of the work as they want Squardon 42 to be as much of a surprise as possible.

It may not come out this year, if the alpha PU client is any indication, but it's going to come out. My guess is if not this year, then early 2017.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ghosts4ever

@Wasdie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Wasdie said:

they may not but they didnot show us a single thing beside CGI trailer of gary oldman instead all they marketing was star citizen presistance universe.

They don't want to spoil much of Squadron 42 and they don't have a large marketing budget. They can't just be throwing together E3 presentation stuff when it was never originally budgeted or planned.

They aren't a traditional AAA studio with a big marketing department funded by the publisher. They only have the money to run a few different, high quality presentations each year. They have to be wise about which ones they pick and choose. E3 was never a big one for them as that's pretty much a console show. The PC gaming show last year was a joke and I'm sure they don't want to bother with it again.

They are still making Squadron 42. If you would follow their weekly updates you would know that. They talk about it quite frequently they just made it very clear they are not showing us any of the work as they want Squardon 42 to be as much of a surprise as possible.

It may not come out this year, if the alpha PU client is any indication, but it's going to come out. My guess is if not this year, then early 2017.

Even Developers with smaller budget market their games. and this is the largest crowd funding project ever. where are our money if they still dont have budget to showcase the gameplay??

They even sold Beta for 80 bucks and packages and ships for more than 100 bucks!!. and still they couldnot show what they are making.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/game-packages

most expensive one a 15000$??? Seriously?!

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@ghosts4ever said:
@Wasdie said:

Even Developers with smaller budget market their games. and this is the largest crowd funding project ever. where are our money if they still dont have budget to showcase the gameplay??

They even sold Beta for 80 bucks and packages and ships for more than 100 bucks!!. and still they couldnot show what they are making.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/game-packages

most expensive one a 15000$??? Seriously?!

Cloud Imperium Games has plenty of marketing, it's just tightly focused and small scale. The vast majority of their crowdfunded money goes into game development. They have a separate subscription just to fund their weekly marketing stuff. There is no reason for a fully funded game to waste money at E3 when profits aren't their concern.

You're treating this like a normal game where they have to sell copies to stay in business. That's wrong. The game is already funded. They don't need to pump up their marketing campaign to sell people copies of the game since they aren't launching the game in the red.

All of the money from the crowd funding is going where it belongs, into development. Small developers who aren't crowdfunded do marketing because they have to sell their game so they can pay for the development of the game and earn a profit/fund future games to stay in business. CIG does not have to sell Star Citizen. Every copy they sell after launch is pure profit for them. They don't have to make up for the money they spent during development nor do they have to share their profits with an investor.

I would be very upset to hear that they blew millions on marketing campaigns they didn't need.

E3 is pointless for Star Citizen. E3 is where the big console players come out to give elaborate and expensive shows to sell their product over the next year. Star Citizen has raised 114 million and counting with their online marketing campaign that's mostly driven by social media, Gamescom, and their own show Citizen Con. They do not need to, nor should they bother to waste any money at E3.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Oh snap! That means It won't be releasing this year.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Cloud_imperium

@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

give up all hope. its another half life 3 which will never release except half life 3 never announced.

i wont be surprised if they cancelled SQ42 and will made star citizen a F2P.

Dafuq bro?

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Vaidream45

Hoping we still get SQ42 released this year. Maybe by December. Lol. They better not delay it again! Ahhhhhh