AMD's Mantle 45% faster than DirectX at CryEngine

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I have no idea why there are no news about this on English tech sites, but anyway...

Here's the link to the site, but you won't understand much since it's on Croatian.

It basically says AMD is partnering with Crytek who will implement Mantle into CryEngine to offer up to 45% better performance than DirectX.

There are also three new devs who joined AMD's Gaming Evolved program, Rebellion Developments, Square Enix and Xaviant, and among the games which will use Mantle are Sniper Elite III (Rebellion) and Murdered: Soul Suspect (Square), while the adventure Lichdom (Xaviant) will offer support for TressFX hair and AMD TrueAudio tech.

Shots fired?

What do you think?

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Nvidia Maxwell will have a dual core CPU in the GPU. So mantle's advantage with CPU limited games wont last long. DX 12 is said to add mantle like support. Which is another blow to AMD.

It's a good thing AMD got the console contracts or they might of ended up being dead in the PC space.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

In order to take advantage of Mantle, doesn't the developer have to code specifically for each GPU? It's not worth it. For BF4, DICE only optimized the 290x. The rest of the GPU's don't even perform better.. SO FAR mantle isn't worth it

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

Nvidia Maxwell will have a dual core CPU in the GPU. So mantle's advantage with CPU limited games wont last long. DX 12 is said to add mantle like support. Which is another blow to AMD.

It's a good thing AMD got the console contracts or they might of ended up being dead in the PC space.

It's because of Mantle that Microsoft are making DX12, AMD made Mantle because Microsoft said they were finished with DirectX

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By IgGy621985

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

There are rumors Intel is actually financing AMD, so Intel wouldn't get in trouble for CPU monopoly.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

@HaloinventedFPS: lol Microsoft flinch at the sight of competition because AMD's first API smokes their latest out the water

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Mantle has DC now? Plus this DirectX they speak of isn't 12.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

good

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

It's good that they are supporting. Would be nice if they were to update Crysis 3 with it, it's quite a CPU hungry game, could benefit a lot from it.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 IgGy621985

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Well of course they don't speak about DX12 since there are no DX12 games at the moment, and current DX11 games most probably won't be ported to DX12.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#11 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@Couth_ said:

In order to take advantage of Mantle, doesn't the developer have to code specifically for each GPU? It's not worth it. For BF4, DICE only optimized the 290x. The rest of the GPU's don't even perform better.. SO FAR mantle isn't worth it

mantle boosts any AMD GPU but there are still bugs with most of them, for example mine 7870 has memory leaks

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Maybe if you're running a shitty APU with an R9 290x; in the real world though, where people don't pair super high end GPUs with shitty as can be CPUs, I doubt you'll see anywhere near a 45% increase in framerates.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#13 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

aint those shitty arm cores that count for almost nothing? like 10% of a single intel core?

mantle is already a reality, dx12 mantle like performance is just a distant dream

i like to bet in the company making the progress, not the ones running behind it

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

People need to understand what mantle actually does. AMD ~45% claims with Mantle in general is pure PR usually based from in house tests using APUs. What mantle does is lower the cpu's workload communicating and sending the gpu data, in essence freeing up cpu cycles to be put to use to other jobs that need to be processed speeding up things in general. Mantle shows its advantages when the system is cpu bound and sees most gains from AMD's cpu's vs Intel based cpu's.

Because AMD cpu's are not as fast as intel cpu's being able to keep up with the load, which means Intel cpu's in general even with Direct x 11 still is able to provide equal to better performance then pure AMD systems and only see slight gains even with mantle intel/AMD gpu's since they provide the brute processing power to begin with.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
@04dcarraher said:

People need to understand what mantle actually does. AMD ~45% claims with Mantle in general is pure PR usually based from in house tests using APUs. What mantle does is lower the cpu's workload communicating and sending the gpu, in essence freeing up cpu cycles to be put to use to other jobs that need to be processed speeding up things in general. Mantle shows its advantages when the system is cpu bound and sees most gains from AMD's cpu's vs Intel based cpu's.

Because AMD cpu's are not as fast as intel cpu's being able to keep up with the load, which means Intel cpu's in general even with Direct x 11 still is able to provide equal to better performance then pure AMD systems and only see slight gains even with mantle intel/AMD gpu's since they provide the brute processing power to begin with.

It's coding to the metal yo

I'll still take an Intel+nVidia combo over this. 880 ftw... Especially with the huge hike in AMD GPU prices

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Well, I know that, and you know that, but..... lol!!

AMD is working with Microsoft and they are well aware of DX12. lol!!

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

i wanna see mantle ported to arma/total war

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

I wish Nvidia would use Mantle as well... DirectX needs to be put down. The only thing holding back Linux gaming is DirectX.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@edwardecl said:

I wish Nvidia would use Mantle as well... DirectX needs to be put down. The only thing holding back Linux gaming is DirectX.

LOL Linux gaming.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By 04dcarraher

@wis3boi said:

lol not going to help , they would actually have to make use of more then one core/thread. Thats the problem with those games since almost all work is done one thread and Mantle relies on multithreaded basis to maximize the gpu communications across all threads. You dont need mantle to do the job, they need to get their head out of the 90's and make use of multiple threads and cores.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

@wis3boi said:

Yeah total war games need is desperately, including a whole new engine. Warscape is bad

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 04dcarraher

@edwardecl said:

Why would Nvidia use Mantle? as of right now its AMD ballgame and their notable gains are with their processors not seeing much if any at all with intel based cpu's. also if MS cuts down direct x's load as they did with mantle you will see Mantle disappear pretty quickly because many developers dont want to use propitiatory coding and requirements and then having to cater to direct x in the end to reach as many as they can. If direct x 12 delivers similar gains as mantle does in general AMD's hype train will be short lived. Also should note as soon as AMD moves away from GCN core all games made around current gpu's Mantle will be useless with new gpu architecture having to depend on AMD and game developer to patch and fix them will be long shot.

Linux is not being held back by Direct x its the fact that direct x is easier to use then Opengl.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wis3boi

@04dcarraher said:

@wis3boi said:

lol not going to help , they would actually have to make use of more then one core/thread. Thats the problem with those games since almost all work is done one thread and Mantle relies on multithreaded basis to maximize the gpu communications across all threads. You dont need mantle to do the job, they need to get their head out of the 90's and make use of multiple threads and cores.

it works if you use -cpuCount=6 -high in the shortcut (for 6 cores, in my case), but its still not perfect

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@AdamPA1006 said:

@wis3boi said:

Yeah total war games need is desperately, including a whole new engine. Warscape is bad

Thats why the best total war game is yet to be released:

This is just the tip of the tip of the tip of the tip of the tip of the tip of the tip of the tip of the tip of the iceberg....

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

@True_Gamer_ said:

@AdamPA1006 said:

@wis3boi said:

This is just the tip of the tip of the tip of the tip of the tip of the tip of the tip of the tip of the tip of the iceberg....

I played the first Barbarum and definitely liked it, when is the sequal coming out? RTW2 is one of the biggest flops ever for me, I cant even think about the money I wasted by preordering it.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@AdamPA1006 said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@AdamPA1006 said:

@wis3boi said:

I played the first Barbarum and definitely liked it, when is the sequal coming out? RTW2 is one of the biggest flops ever for me, I cant even think about the money I wasted by preordering it.

Summer time its coming out....

Will have deph deeper than hell itself. God its a Counter Strike to Creative Assembly's Half Life (Medieval 2)....

Rome 2 was expected to be bad. You cannot make a melee game based on a gun engine (Empire Napoleon Shogun 2)

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Mantle's advantages are still too limiting. To get that 45% the game has to be optimized for the individual graphic card. That's the exact reason why we have OpenGL and DirectX.

To my knowledge so far only Battlefield 4 uses Mantle and it only is optimized for the R290x. That's not really a win.

It has a lot of potential, but unless I see some evidence that Mantle improves framerates on all supported hardware, I'm going to stay skeptical.

DX and OpenGL are implementing more broad changes that allow programs to have some direct hardware access which are going to drastically reduce CPU overhead and increase performance.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Mantle's advantages are still too limiting. To get that 45% the game has to be optimized for the individual graphic card. That's the exact reason why we have OpenGL and DirectX.

To my knowledge so far only Battlefield 4 uses Mantle and it only is optimized for the R290x. That's not really a win.

It has a lot of potential, but unless I see some evidence that Mantle improves framerates on all supported hardware, I'm going to stay skeptical.

DX and OpenGL are implementing more broad changes that allow programs to have some direct hardware access which are going to drastically reduce CPU overhead and increase performance.

Almost the same happened with Thief, only that the R290 also joins the optimization and the R280x just hardly.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wis3boi

@Wasdie said:

doubled my framerate in BF4 on a 7970, I'd call that a win

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

AMD GCN has a scalar processor built into the each CU and GCNs are aligned for x86-64 memory operations i.e. cache lines and memory page size. GCN's scalar processor has it's own L1 cache and register storage.

ARM CPU can NOT run X86 compiled runtime libraries i.e. DirectX X86 build in every Windows X86. The overhead occurs at DirectX X86 build object.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4863 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@Wasdie said:

A 200% increase is hard to believe. Not that your lying, I'm just thinking something else was going on with previous drivers. Otherwise AMD would be quick to point out that Mantle offers up to 200% better frame rates.

What CPU do you have? I know Mantle improves systems with slower CPUs the most.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Ah yes, keyword being "up to"

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

I have a 7950 and I get performance hits when I use mantle in bf4. Runs much better with direct x. So I'm waiting till they properly implement it till I get excited

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Truth_Hurts_U

AMD... Good bye... Calling it now.

http://wccftech.com/nvidias-directx-11-driver-better-mantle-api-benchmark/

It might take a few years, since console chip sales will keep them going.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib
@FastRobby said:

First of all the article you posted was from 19/03/2014, DirectX12 was presented 20/03/2014...

Second, DirectX12 isn't even out yet, AMD Mantle is, so please tell me how they came to these numbers.

They didn't compare it to DX12

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lostrib

@FastRobby said:

@lostrib said:
@FastRobby said:

First of all the article you posted was from 19/03/2014, DirectX12 was presented 20/03/2014...

Second, DirectX12 isn't even out yet, AMD Mantle is, so please tell me how they came to these numbers.

They didn't compare it to DX12

Then why do we even care... We now Mantle has better performance compared with DX11... This topic is useless.

because crytek. And DX12 is not here while mantle is

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lostrib

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

AMD... Good bye... Calling it now.

http://wccftech.com/nvidias-directx-11-driver-better-mantle-api-benchmark/

It might take a few years, since console chip sales will keep them going.

It would be a bad thing for AMD to go out of business

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Truth_Hurts_U

@lostrib:

I'm all for them sticking around... But they just can't compete any more. They are trying, but it just isn't good enough.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lostrib

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

@lostrib:

I'm all for them sticking around... But they just can't compete any more. They are trying, but it just isn't good enough.

GPUs I think they're okay, they need to do something about their CPUs

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@IgGy621985: Which version of DIrectX? Here's why I ask.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wis3boi

@lhughey said:

@wis3boi said:

@Wasdie said:

A 200% increase is hard to believe. Not that your lying, I'm just thinking something else was going on with previous drivers. Otherwise AMD would be quick to point out that Mantle offers up to 200% better frame rates.

X6 1100T, OC'd it to 4ghz. Usually hovered around 40-50 on ultra, now it's not uncommon I hover around 80-100

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lostrib

@wis3boi said:

@lhughey said:

@wis3boi said:

@Wasdie said:

X6 1100T, OC'd it to 4ghz. Usually hovered around 40-50 on ultra, now it's not uncommon I hover around 80-100

To be fair, BF4 performance increased quite a bit in general since launch.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wis3boi

@lostrib said:

@wis3boi said:

@lhughey said:

@wis3boi said:

@Wasdie said:

To be fair, BF4 performance increased quite a bit in general since launch.

If I flip between DX11/Mantle, that's my fps difference

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By IgGy621985
@StormyJoe said:

@IgGy621985: Which version of DIrectX? Here's why I ask.

Well, DX11 obviously since they couldn't compare it to DX12. This was announced before the official DX12 announcement. And regarding that article, well, yeah, it's a possibility.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

i wouldnt get my hopes up on dx 12. For one you going to be forced to get windows 8 or something higher. Secondly saying it will be on par with mantel is wishful at best. No dx can be as low level as mantel is, that removes the whole point of Direct X.. You have be skeptical of such nonsense claims.

With that said, Mantel has also been a disappointment.. Like i said, the myth of console gaming optimization was exposed.. Its the same situation with mantel.. You only get to see benefits if your cpu is trash. For most of us running on i5's and i7's our cpu's are powerful enough that mantel provides literally no benefit.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By IgGy621985

@lunar1122 said:

i wouldnt get my hopes up on dx 12. For one you going to be forced to get windows 8 or something higher. Secondly saying it will be on par with mantel is wishful at best. No dx can be as low level as mantel is.. You have be skeptical of such nonsense claims.

With that said, Mantel has also been a disappointment.. Like i said, the myth of console gaming was exposed.. The same with mantel.. You only get to see benefits if your cpu is trash. For most of us running on i5's and i7's our cpu's are so powerful that mantel provides literally no benefit.

I think mantle will show its true benefits with gaming PCs which only have APU.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#50 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

I cant get people complaining about this even if they have a mid-high end Cpu you still get a 5-10% performance increase and AMD also said mantle is open source unlike many proprietary Nvidia technologies ( Cuda anyone )