AMD Ryzen will be available on March 2nd

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

AMD has officially announced today that it will release its Ryzen CPUs on March 2nd. According to the red team, there will be three models available at launch; the Ryzen 7 1800X, Ryzen 7 1700X and Ryzen 7 1700. What’s also great is that AMD confirmed the rumoured prices for these processors. And yes, the high-end Ryzen model will be priced at under $500

==========================================

3 models that will be available at launch :

Ryzen 7 1800X: 8C/16T, 3.6 GHz base, 4.0 GHz turbo, 95W, $499

Ryzen 7 1700X: 8C/16T, 3.4 GHz base, 3.8 GHz turbo, 95W, $399

Ryzen 7 1700: 8C/16T, 3.0 GHz base, 3.7 GHz turbo, $329

AMD has also shared an image, claiming that the Ryzen architecture offers 53% better IPC (instructions per clock) than its Excavator architecture. AMD targeted a 40% gain, however it appears that the company exceeded its expectations with this brand new architecture.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-ryzen-cpus-available-on-march-2nd-offers-52-ipc-improvement-over-excavator-first-official-benchmarks/#more-95965

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Maybe it's time to replace my old-ass I5 CPU

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

And prices aren't outrageous in Canada at least.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Man, this next upgrade is going to be so sweet! Been waiting a long time for this :)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56216 Posts

So far, it looks pretty promising. All the benchmarks show Ryzen holds up to scrutiny in the value department. If AMD can keep putting pressure on Intel, then we might finally see some actual performance boosts in future processors instead of tiny 5% increases with each refresh.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@mjorh said:

Most people are assuming that the 1800x will be their highest binned chip. The 1700x is the sweet spot for me, I doubt I would notice the difference between that and the 1800x in real world use but however, I won't be upgrading my CPU this year however, I'll probably just wait till next year when all this hype blows over and my i5 6600k is still alive and well (Yeah not much longer)

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

It is about time AMD started pulling its weight. Ryzen looks good. Glad PS5 will be the console debut of Zen.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

im more interested in the Ryzen 5 series (the 6 core/12 thread version). i dont think games will make a great use of more than 8 threads for some time to come so i think thats going to be the sweet spot from a gaming standpoint.

im hoping to build a new rig either later this year or early next year. its certainly going to be interesting to see the lay of the land in 12 months time.

Edit: got my core count mixed up :S

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@davillain- said:
@mjorh said:

Most people are assuming that the 1800x will be their highest binned chip. The 1700x is the sweet spot for me, I doubt I would notice the difference between that and the 1800x in real world use but however, I won't be upgrading my CPU this year however, I'll probably just wait till next year when all this hype blows over and my i5 6600k is still alive and well (Yeah not much longer)

Yours is good enough

Mine is I5 2320, which i can't even OC it.

We gotta wait and see some benchmarks, but this time i'd go with one which has OC capability so i can be good in the long run.

And, i'm not sure how much of an improvement i'm gonna see if i replace it, i mean I5 2320 doesn't bottleneck my GTX 970 so i may just wait a couple of years more and go for an overall overhaul.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CrashNBurn281

@xboxiphoneps3: No Digital Foundry already debunked that.

That would have been a selling point for Scorpio. They only offered that Scorpio will have a 8 core CPU. If it was Ryzen they would have been screaming it from the rooftops.

Puma it is for Scorpio. Sorry Lems.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrashNBurn281

@xboxiphoneps3: It's going to be Puma bud. It's okay to be dissapointed. Xbone should have conditioned you for that.

The white paper is actually revealing when you look at what they are advocating to developers. Some of the processes would be unnecessary if it had a Ryzen CPU.

PS5 will not only have more exclusive games, but an exclusive CPU (Ryzen).

Microsoft would have a chance to have e Ryzen with the successor to Scorpio, but it looks like Scorpio is their last console unfortunately.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

@crashnburn281 said:

@xboxiphoneps3: It's going to be Puma bud. It's okay to be dissapointed. Xbone should have conditioned you for that.

The white paper is actually revealing when you look at what they are advocating to developers. Some of the processes would be unnecessary if it had a Ryzen CPU.

PS5 will not only have more exclusive games, but an exclusive CPU (Ryzen).

Microsoft would have a chance to have e Ryzen with the successor to Scorpio, but it looks like Scorpio is their last console unfortunately.

Exclusive CPU? Shut the hell up...lmfao. What am I reading...lol

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CrashNBurn281

@kinky-unikorn: I am mandated by ethics to speak the truth. Sorry if that offends you. You may be used to lies like greatest lineup in Xbox history, but I have to call out stuff like that.

Ryzen won't be in Scorpio. It will be in PS5 for sure. Since there isn't going to be a Xbox after Scorpio, Ryzen is in fact a PlayStation exclusive.

The truth can hurt sometimes, but it can also set you free my free my friend. Be well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

@crashnburn281 said:

@kinky-unikorn: I am mandated by ethics to speak the truth. Sorry if that offends you. You may be used to lies like greatest lineup in Xbox history, but I have to call out stuff like that.

Ryzen won't be in Scorpio. It will be in PS5 for sure. Since there isn't going to be a Xbox after Scorpio, Ryzen is in fact a PlayStation exclusive.

The truth can hurt sometimes, but it can also set you free my free my friend. Be well.

I want what you're smoking!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@xboxiphoneps3: @crashnburn281: Were talking about AMD's Ryzen and all you guys wanna talk about is a fucking upgrade console?

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

But will I get 60FPS in Arma 3? How about that single-threaded performance?

My laptop with a i7-6700HQ and GTX 970m plays Arma 3 way better then my desktop with a FX-8350 and GTX 970.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

More than anything, it'll be interesting too see how AMD applies this to closed systems like consoles later down the road (assuming, of course, MS+Sony stick with AMD).

Still, the prices are very decent and performance seems cool. Wonder if these will become actual legit options for consumers and PC gamers.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

So it's between the Switch and Upgrading the CPU.

pretty sure CPU is the best route, seeing as the Switch will probably be sold out everywhere for months.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

The news is better than I thought time for a rebuild. I wonder if the scorpio will be using ryzen??

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@crashnburn281 said:

@xboxiphoneps3: No Digital Foundry already debunked that.

That would have been a selling point for Scorpio. They only offered that Scorpio will have a 8 core CPU. If it was Ryzen they would have been screaming it from the rooftops.

Puma it is for Scorpio. Sorry Lems.

CPU's GPU command list rendering threads are still being generated for 60 hz. Puma is just 2nd gen Jaguar with zero architecture changes.

http://wccftech.com/amd-gray-hawk-zen-7nm-apu/

7nm FinFET process has ZEN+ with NAVI based IGP.

Xbox One S already has FinFET Jaguar/Puma update.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

@Desmonic: i would be very interested to see the next gen APUs (which i think will be based on ryzen and vega) in something like the smachZ.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Nice to see Intel get some competition, it was a very long time since last time, gj AMD

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts
Loading Video...

ITT:

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CrashNBurn281

@ronvalencia: No one ever seems to know what the hell you are talking about. Just thought you should know. Cheers.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ronvalencia

@crashnburn281 said:

@ronvalencia: No one ever seems to know what the hell you are talking about. Just thought you should know. Cheers.

http://www.icxm.net/x/xbox-scorpio-ryzen-new-evidence.html

A source close to ICXM visited the AMD booth at CES to ask the AMD staff about the situation to which they replied, “It's there for a reason but we can't talk about it yet.”

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Another amd product hyped to be an Intel killer for half the price, just like their GPUs. I will wait for third party benchmarks before making any conclusions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Nah don't show him this...it's exclusive for the Playstation 5 remember...lmfao

@ronvalencia said:
@crashnburn281 said:

http://www.icxm.net/x/xbox-scorpio-ryzen-new-evidence.html

A source close to ICXM visited the AMD booth at CES to ask the AMD staff about the situation to which they replied, “It's there for a reason but we can't talk about it yet.”

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ronvalencia

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-world-record/

7-1800X at 5 Ghz LN2 with Cinebench R15.

Loading Video...

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Ohh, I get the naming for Ryzen. AMD's numbers rose higher than Zen, hence, Ryzen.

Pretty stupid name I guess.

In all seriousness, I hope this brings competition to Intel and bring their goddamn prices down.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CrashNBurn281

@ronvalencia: That was for Ryzen and Vega. No one is disputing that Vega will be in Scorpio.

Who is the source? I have an unnamed source that told me Puma was in Scorpio. See how that works?

That picture is only indicative of Scorpio being associated with New Horizon, which is Vega and Ryzen.

It seems that Ryzen is still PS5 exclusive.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 no-scope-AK47

@crashnburn281 said:

@ronvalencia: That was for Ryzen and Vega. No one is disputing that Vega will be in Scorpio.

Who is the source? I have an unnamed source that told me Puma was in Scorpio. See how that works?

That picture is only indicative of Scorpio being associated with New Horizon, which is Vega and Ryzen.

Really I missed the vega part do you have a link cause nobody else has one lolz

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CrashNBurn281

@no-scope-AK47 said:
@crashnburn281 said:

https://article.wn.com/view/2016/12/14/amd_teased_its_8216vega_8217_graphics_with_a_demo_at_the_new/

New Horizon has been associated with Vega and Ryzen. Just because Scorpio is associated with New Horizon, doesn't mean it will feature both techs.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Good news!..just waiting for reviews now. :) :P

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#39  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

These are solid CPUs for a very good price. However, the performance per core is what matters for gaming and I would like to see some gaming benchmarks against i7 7700K at max stable OC on all CPUs to compare real world enthusiast performance. I never waited for Ryzen because I didn't think it could match the i7 7700K. I am just curious to see if I was right or wrong. I am happy with my CPU regardless.

Dark_man123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 Dark_man123
Member since 2005 • 4012 Posts

Glad to know AMD is stepping up their game, now Intel will not have no choice but to get off their ass and do something about it.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#41 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9732 Posts

Not sure if it was posted but I'll leave this here.

AMD Vega 10 & Vega 11 GPUs Detailed – Radeon 500 Series Showcase Coming Feb 28

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

@pdogg93 said:

Another amd product hyped to be an Intel killer for half the price, just like their GPUs. I will wait for third party benchmarks before making any conclusions.

Always the case.

This isnt 1998 with someone inventing youtube. The tech boom is over. For people to think that AMD will have something out of the ballpark is ridiculous. Sure it will be good performance and a great value. All until Intel smashes them down again. Sad but true.

Don't forget, AMD would probably be belly-up had MS/Sony not been as budget minded as so many "AMD fans" are. Consoles are the reason AMD still exists.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@BassMan: I think it's safe to assume we won't see it outright match Kabylake in single-core performance because the best case scenario is that Ryzen matches Skylake/Kabylake's IPC, and clocks about the same.

But given the paltry XFR boost of 4.1 GHz on Ryzen's top tier chip (according to Linus) we can safely say it probably isn't going to routinely hit 5.0 GHz OC'd like Kabylake. In fact professional overclockers got Ryzen to 5.0... on LN2... So there's basically no chance of us getting that in a real world environment. Maybe 4.5/6 is most realistic.

So I'd imagine Ryzen will be behind in that respect. But the question is by how much? If the difference is slight (and I think it will be) but the gap in price is huge for Ryzen's 4c/8t part (and we are seeing rumours of it being priced in i5 territory) it could be quite the gaming processor with plenty of utility besides.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@dxmcat said:
@pdogg93 said:

Always the case.

This isnt 1998 with someone inventing youtube. The tech boom is over. For people to think that AMD will have something out of the ballpark is ridiculous. Sure it will be good performance and a great value. All until Intel smashes them down again. Sad but true.

Don't forget, AMD would probably be belly-up had MS/Sony not been as budget minded as so many "AMD fans" are. Consoles are the reason AMD still exists.

couldn't agree more

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ronvalencia

@crashnburn281 said:
@no-scope-AK47 said:
@crashnburn281 said:

https://article.wn.com/view/2016/12/14/amd_teased_its_8216vega_8217_graphics_with_a_demo_at_the_new/

New Horizon has been associated with Vega and Ryzen. Just because Scorpio is associated with New Horizon, doesn't mean it will feature both techs.

New Horizon's presentation is mostly RYZEN.

If you read http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon, it refers to RYZEN.

Vega's marketing theme from http://ve.ga/ is about the "Radeon Rebellion".

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 no-scope-AK47
@crashnburn281 said:
@no-scope-AK47 said:
@crashnburn281 said:

Your clearly trolling that link has nothing to do with the scorpio being at the ryzen event. The event was for ryzen not vega and the scorpio was there. A logical person would think that scorpio would by default have a ryzen cpu it being a ryzen event. Software and hardware are not the same unless you have a link based on hardware and clearly you don't then crawl back in the troll cave.

I understand that the scorpio is scary to consolites but that is a reality that you will have to accept...it's coming. Just like all the intel fanboys have to accept that their cpu's are overpriced and 2nd best in performance.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ronvalencia

@crashnburn281 said:

That unnamed source also guessed the CPU and doesn't know the architecture difference between Jaguar vs Puma and there's no architecture difference.

If you support the claim that Scorpio has Puma, are you claiming Scorpio's SOC has 28 nm process tech which is absurd.

1st gen: Jaguar (TSMC, 28 nm Planar HKMG process)

2nd gen: Puma (Global Foundries, 28 nm Planar)

3rd gen: Puma+

4th gen: 16 nm FinFET post-Puma+ (TSMC, 16 nm FinFET)

Making a claim without knowing AMD's 16h CPUs differences are absurd.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7974/amd-beema-mullins-architecture-a10-micro-6700t-performance-preview

Xbox One S already has 16 nm FinFET post-Puma+ CPU solution just like PS4 Pro i.e. it's the 4th Jaguar revision.

7 nm FinFET has ZEN+ not with the current ZEN.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CrashNBurn281

@ronvalencia: I am not supporting any claim other than Scorpio will most likely not have Ryzen in the box.

Ryzen semi-custom was reported by the CEO of AMD to be released at 2018 and beyond. Isn't Scorpio being released around November 17 or so?

How many months will the APU have to be finalized to reach the launch date?

Time table for Ryzen in Scorpio is off.

And then there is this...http://digiworthy.com/2016/09/11/amd-zen-custom-socs-project-scorpio/

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ronvalencia

@Articuno76 said:

@BassMan: I think it's safe to assume we won't see it outright match Kabylake in single-core performance because the best case scenario is that Ryzen matches Skylake/Kabylake's IPC, and clocks about the same.

But given the paltry XFR boost of 4.1 GHz on Ryzen's top tier chip (according to Linus) we can safely say it probably isn't going to routinely hit 5.0 GHz OC'd like Kabylake. In fact professional overclockers got Ryzen to 5.0... on LN2... So there's basically no chance of us getting that in a real world environment. Maybe 4.5/6 is most realistic.

So I'd imagine Ryzen will be behind in that respect. But the question is by how much? If the difference is slight (and I think it will be) but the gap in price is huge for Ryzen's 4c/8t part (and we are seeing rumours of it being priced in i5 territory) it could be quite the gaming processor with plenty of utility besides.

AMD doesn't have to beat Intel. All they have to do is be competitive. Intel has done most of the work of being beat.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ronvalencia

@crashnburn281 said:

@ronvalencia: I am not supporting any claim other than Scorpio will most likely not have Ryzen in the box.

Ryzen semi-custom was reported by the CEO of AMD to be released at 2018 and beyond. Isn't Scorpio being released around November 17 or so?

How many months will the APU have to be finalized to reach the launch date?

Time table for Ryzen in Scorpio is off.

And then there is this...http://digiworthy.com/2016/09/11/amd-zen-custom-socs-project-scorpio/

CES 2017 is a few months after Lisa Su's Sep 2016 statement. http://www.icxm.net/x/xbox-scorpio-ryzen-new-evidence.html

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-head-phil-spencer-talks-scorpio-ps4-pro-4k-re/1100-6444198/

GameSpot: Sony recently announced the PS4 Pro. What was initial your reaction to the announcement? It's coming out a year before Xbox Scorpio; how does that affect your plans, if at all?

Spencer: It didn't affect our plan at all. About two and a half years ago we started to look at a hardware refresh that we might want to do, which in the end led to the Xbox One S and Scorpio in terms of designs. We'd looked at doing something that was higher performance this year, and I'd say the [PS4] Pro is about what we thought--with the GPU, CPU, memory that was here this year--that you could go do, and we decided that we wanted to do something different. So we looked at Scorpio and 4K and what I thought was a bigger step in terms of performance. It was something that we wanted to focus on.

AMD has more two CPU IP blocks i.e.

1. ZEN

2. Excavator V2, updated for ZEN I/O compatibility on AM4. This is for Bristol Ridge APU.

3. 16 nm FinFET post-Puma+ in PS4 S, PS4 Pro and XBO S. Three design wins with the port from Puma+ 28 nm to 16 nm FinFET. Phil Spencer doesn't want PS4 Pro's CPU solution. Remember, Phil Spencer doesn't want Xbox One "half gen" jump.