Am I no longer a true gamer?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Why do you ask?

Did you buy a Vita?

You bought a Vita, didn't you, TC. :|

speedfreak48t5p

I might go out tomorrow to buy a Vita.

th?id=H.4672233819669050&pid=1.7

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Story is just an important as the gameplay to me in most cases. If I don't care about what is happening, why continue playing?

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I'm the only true gamer.

So I guess logic dictates that you are not a true gamer, tc :( Sozzy!!!

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

You are not a true gamer.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 HAZE-Unit

Story is just an important as the gameplay to me in most cases. If I don't care about what is happening, why continue playing?

StrongBlackVine

You are not a true gamer too.

AnXboxGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 AnXboxGuy
Member since 2013 • 50 Posts

The main thing I need from a game now for me to enjoy it is a good involving story or narrative. Without these a generally feel no desire to complete a game and get bored of it quickly to the point where I stop playing it. For example, I know it's a modern cliche, but I just cant stand most FPS's nowadays because for me most of them have no hook or plot strong enough to grab me. I like Homefront mind but again from what I read mechanics/gameplay wise it was a average shooter but the plot/story/character situation kept me engaged to the end.

on the flipside Crysis 2 was a very well received shooter but to me the story didnt have that emotional hook. I know it tried with opening cinemetaics and such but I just lost interest not long after the first level. Same with Halo - I tried the anniversary edition oif the first one a few months ago to get me in to a great series but for me it was just shoot, move to the next location, shoot a few more and repeat and it was a game/series that I wanted to experience and enjoy like so many others do.

Then again I do love games like Total War(s), XCom, Tropico and games like it which probably don't fall in the interactive story element I have outlined but none the less they all feel grand in scale and absorb you in to anotehr world. Which Halo I suppose does but I don't know what the difference is. Perhaps it is a mix of gameplay and story that I require and perhaps Just don't like FPS's anymore.

I think what I am getting at is that I cannot just enjoy pure gameplay anymore which I regert and know I am missing out on alot of great games but I've trid and I can't even force myself.

PresidentLogan

I didn't read that wall of text, but to answer your question. It's simple. Look at where you're at right now. You're posting on a gaming website. To me, that's what makes someone a 'true gamer'. You're still a gamer and your location on the internet shows it. Normal people who play games don't end up here, especially in the forums. Everyone here is a gamer, everyone who isn't here is a casual person who just so happens to play games (not a gamer).

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

HAZE-Unit

Sarcasm?
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

True Gamer doesn't mean you like and play any every game made. In that case no one is a True Gamer as all people have games they don't like.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 HAZE-Unit

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

Granny_Spanked

Sarcasm?

Nope! Im serious.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Why do you ask?

Did you buy a Vita?

DarkLink77

if he bought one then he's more hardcore than all of those that didn't buy one don't you think?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#61 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14421 Posts

[QUOTE="speedfreak48t5p"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Why do you ask?

Did you buy a Vita?

DarkLink77

I might go out tomorrow to buy a Vita.

th?id=H.4672233819669050&pid=1.7

I bought a 3DS Xl.
Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts

HAZE-Unit

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
Ultimately, I think the question should be, why do you care if you're a true gamer? If you're trying to fit in with an elitist crowd or whatever, that isn't going to work out well, but in the interests of having fun, if you enjoy the story, go for it. It doesn't matter if people consider you a "true gamer" or a gamer at all as long as you enjoy it, and I guarantee you there are enough people with a similar mindset as to not feel left out of anything. I'm in the same boat as you BTW. Story, characterization, atmosphere, etc. at this point are just as important if not more important than gameplay.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

1. A gamer is someone who plays games. Doesnt matter if it is farmville or if it is Dwarf Fortress. If one plays games, one is a true gamer dpesnt matter how enthusiastic you are, why you play them or what you play.

2. Seems to me like you can still enjoy games that are almost purely about gameplay. Thing is, the gameplay of the average modern military shooter just isnt good enough for you to hold up against the flaw that is the lack of story. (Lack of story for me is a pro most of the time).

3. True gamer is an idiotic term.

Edit: I like Adobe's posts in this thread, pretty much nails it.

Avatar image for noseysucksucker
noseysucksucker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 noseysucksucker
Member since 2013 • 45 Posts

1. A gamer is someone who plays games. Doesnt matter if it is farmville or if it is Dwarf Fortress. If one plays games, one is a true gamer dpesnt matter how enthusiastic you are, why you play them or what you play.

2. Seems to me like you can still enjoy games that are almost purely about gameplay. Thing is, the gameplay of the average modern military shooter just isnt good enough for you to hold up against the flaw that is the lack of story. (Lack of story for me is a pro most of the time).

3. True gamer is an idiotic term.

Edit: I like Adobe's posts in this thread, pretty much nails it.

Maroxad
WRONG
Avatar image for noseysucksucker
noseysucksucker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 noseysucksucker
Member since 2013 • 45 Posts
http://www.ur bandictionary.com/define.php?term=true%20gamer There are a lot of definitions for this word and pretty much most of them are right, but they're all leaving out a vital detail : Gaming isn't just playing one company's systems and only the systems of that one company. To be a true gamer, you accept that a good game is a good game and you shouldn't give a crap what system it's on
TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#67 TheSacredFlame
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

True gamers? Wow, if you think there's such a thing as a "true gamer" than you need to reevaluate your prospective on gaming in general.