Am I no longer a true gamer?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PresidentLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PresidentLogan
Member since 2007 • 267 Posts

The main thing I need from a game now for me to enjoy it is a good involving story or narrative. Without these a generally feel no desire to complete a game and get bored of it quickly to the point where I stop playing it. For example, I know it's a modern cliche, but I just cant stand most FPS's nowadays because for me most of them have no hook or plot strong enough to grab me. I like Homefront mind but again from what I read mechanics/gameplay wise it was a average shooter but the plot/story/character situation kept me engaged to the end.

on the flipside Crysis 2 was a very well received shooter but to me the story didnt have that emotional hook. I know it tried with opening cinemetaics and such but I just lost interest not long after the first level. Same with Halo - I tried the anniversary edition oif the first one a few months ago to get me in to a great series but for me it was just shoot, move to the next location, shoot a few more and repeat and it was a game/series that I wanted to experience and enjoy like so many others do.

Then again I do love games like Total War(s), XCom, Tropico and games like it which probably don't fall in the interactive story element I have outlined but none the less they all feel grand in scale and absorb you in to anotehr world. Which Halo I suppose does but I don't know what the difference is. Perhaps it is a mix of gameplay and story that I require and perhaps Just don't like FPS's anymore.

I think what I am getting at is that I cannot just enjoy pure gameplay anymore which I regert and know I am missing out on alot of great games but I've trid and I can't even force myself.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Define "true gamer".

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Get rid of that "true" bullsh!t.

You play games? You're a gamer.

Just as much as I am, or the poster above or below me. It's that simple.

If you enjoy playing video games, if you play video games. PLAY GAMES.

=

Gamer.

IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
Homefront story What a disgusting piece of overly patriotic poo. And if you like story over gameplay, you really arent a "true gamer", if such lunacy actually exist.
Blaz3_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blaz3_fox
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

=

Gamer.

MLBknights58
This. Games have become a huge part of entertainment, so just play games you enjoy. If you don't like the game, put it down and don't play it. If you find something out about the game that makes you want to come back and play it, go back to it. For example, I hate skyrim. I think it's a glitchy mess that has no focus, direction, story, world interaction and feels like a whole lot of boring NPCs which I don't care about and terrible combat and AI to fight. Oh and the graphics suck so there's no reason there either. However, that's my opinion and I played a fair amount of it but didn't want to spend all my time in what I believe to be a hiking simulator with the ability to skip to places you've been to already. I won't go back to it just because other people say it's good because I found nothing in it worthy of my time. On the other hand, I'd ask that you give Halo 3 a go if you want to play a great FPS. Anniversary isn't on quite as grand a scale as Halo 3 is, however the key thing most people miss in Halo is it's story. Turn on subtitles as soon as you can, and really listen to the characters, sometimes it takes 1 or 2 playthroughs to truly understand, but I felt the Halo universe to be really quite awesome.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

The main thing I need from a game now for me to enjoy it is a good involving story or narrative. Without these a generally feel no desire to complete a game and get bored of it quickly to the point where I stop playing it. For example, I know it's a modern cliche, but I just cant stand most FPS's nowadays because for me most of them have no hook or plot strong enough to grab me. I like Homefront mind but again from what I read mechanics/gameplay wise it was a average shooter but the plot/story/character situation kept me engaged to the end.

on the flipside Crysis 2 was a very well received shooter but to me the story didnt have that emotional hook. I know it tried with opening cinemetaics and such but I just lost interest not long after the first level. Same with Halo - I tried the anniversary edition oif the first one a few months ago to get me in to a great series but for me it was just shoot, move to the next location, shoot a few more and repeat and it was a game/series that I wanted to experience and enjoy like so many others do.

Then again I do love games like Total War(s), XCom, Tropico and games like it which probably don't fall in the interactive story element I have outlined but none the less they all feel grand in scale and absorb you in to anotehr world. Which Halo I suppose does but I don't know what the difference is. Perhaps it is a mix of gameplay and story that I require and perhaps Just don't like FPS's anymore.

I think what I am getting at is that I cannot just enjoy pure gameplay anymore which I regert and know I am missing out on alot of great games but I've trid and I can't even force myself.

PresidentLogan

You play games on PC, you are obviously a true gamer. If you gamed only on console then obviously you would be just a pretend gamer.

PresidentLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PresidentLogan

Homefront story What a disgusting piece of overly patriotic poo. And if you like story over gameplay, you really arent a "true gamer", if such lunacy actually exist.IAmNot_fun

I'm not American so it wasn't out of a nationalistic sentiment that I liked the story. I though it was an interesting premise and the opening credits really fleshed out why in the game world it happened.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#8 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Cool Blog Bro.

Go Handheld. More Variety.

cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cryemocry
Member since 2013 • 590 Posts

Define "true gamer".

Sagem28

Someone who likes duke nukem 3d and doesnt need no stinkin narrative.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

=

Gamer.

MLBknights58

That's very, very broad.

I wouldn't consider someone who plays Fifa once a week a gamer in my persoal opinion.

PresidentLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PresidentLogan

Thanks for all your replies and I suppose what I was getting at with the "True" Gamer remark was that maybe a true/hardcore gamer would lap anything up if the gameplay was good enough regardless of story or plot.

I have been into games since the Atari days and for me it has always been about escapism in to other wordls and stories and when I was younger and the graphics and such were more limited I suppose I had more of an imagination to fill in the blanks. Yet where the best modern examples just as good as any book or movie.

When FPS's first arived and evolved with graphics they were the cutting edge game that allowed you visually in to another world regardless of plot/story and I couldnt get enough of them.

I think now, where we have games, particularyly third persons, that let you do whatever you want in a massive playground/world/hub combined with a good plot and story with relatable or at least enjoyable characters with personality, for me, they are current/next gaming chain in where my gaming nirvana is heading and FPS's perhaps can't manage or do it better as a medium for it (Saying that I do love Skrim, fallout etc)

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]Homefront story What a disgusting piece of overly patriotic poo. And if you like story over gameplay, you really arent a "true gamer", if such lunacy actually exist.PresidentLogan

I'm not American so it wasn't out of a nationalistic sentiment that I liked the story. I though it was an interesting premise and the opening credits really fleshed out why in the game world it happened.

As a person from South Korea, that opening credits is very ridiculous.
Neon_Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Neon_Noir
Member since 2013 • 1466 Posts

[QUOTE="PresidentLogan"]

[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]Homefront story What a disgusting piece of overly patriotic poo. And if you like story over gameplay, you really arent a "true gamer", if such lunacy actually exist.funsohng

Enough lies, we know what you're really up to.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="PresidentLogan"]

Neon_Noir

Enough lies, we know what you're really up to.

DAMN How did you know I was a North Korean spy. Long live Comrade Kim Jong Il!
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i am a true gamer because i own 2 games.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

How old are you?

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

PresidentLogan

It's not that you need a story to enjoy a game. It's that modern game design is so focused on secondary elements, like story, that once you turn the story off the games themselves aren't really as much fun to play as games might have been a few generations back. Where gameplay and replayability was paramount. So, you need the story in many modern games because with it there's at least one compelling reason for you to play all the way through them.

The myth of modern gaming is that story is just as important as any other element, if not more so. The truth is that modern games are often so dull and generic to actually play that they might as well just be non-interactive movies, so the developers end up putting all their effort into these Hollywood like movie plots in the hope that you feel compelled to play through the game at least one time, even if it's just to see the full story. After that it will become quite apparent there's not a lot of replay value in many modern games because they're not that much fun to actually play in the first place.

Most noob gamers that believe story really is essential are just a little bit ignorant of the above truth. Story is a nice extra layer to have but the game really should be fun to just play and replay whether there's a grand story attached to it or not.

Like I said in your other post regarding fps games for example:

This:

http://cdn.duelinganalogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/fps-map-design.png

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

Is why you hate fps games nowadays.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ilovegames1992

If that ^^ is the type of gamer you want to aspire to be or are worried about not being then i think you are better of being how you currently are haha.

PresidentLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PresidentLogan

How old are you?

BlbecekBobecek

I'm 32,

Also agree with the other poster in some regards that due to the limitations of years gone past gameplay and replayability were paramount to maikng a good and more importantly successful game but I don't think most moderns games have dull gameplay and the plot serves to mask the fact. I used to love playing Sonic the Hedgehog on my Mega Drive/Genesis over and over again but now it bores me to tears. I think adding astories and other layers is the evolution of the mediuym. Of couser there will awalys be gameplay centric games with little to no plot but other than being niche releases on PSN/Xbox Live/Steam the future lies in the "interactive movie" along apart from sports games and adding more realism. By Interactive Movie I don't mean Heavy Rain I mean as power of hardware evolves we will have games made with all the same genre's of movies - Action, Thriller, Comedy, horror etc and a simple R-Type/Sine Mora even Mario type game will be niche titles - Other than graphics how can games like these evolve?

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

How old are you?

PresidentLogan

I'm 32,

Also agree with the other poster in some regards that due to the limitations of years gone past gameplay and replayability were paramount to maikng a good and more importantly successful game but I don't think most moderns games have dull gameplay and the plot serves to mask the fact. I used to love playing Sonic the Hedgehog on my Mega Drive/Genesis over and over again but now it bores me to tears. I think adding astories and other layers is the evolution of the mediuym. Of couser there will awalys be gameplay centric games with little to no plot but other than being niche releases on PSN/Xbox Live/Steam the future lies in the "interactive movie" along apart from sports games and adding more realism. By Interactive Movie I don't mean Heavy Rain I mean as power of hardware evolves we will have games made with all the same genre's of movies - Action, Thriller, Comedy, horror etc and a simple R-Type/Sine Mora even Mario type game will be niche titles - Other than graphics how can games like these evolve?

I agree that adding stories and other layers is part of the evolution of videogames. I also believe in many modern games it is however not actually in addition to all the other layers but often at the cost of them. Layers which I personally think are more integral in creating and defining what is an interactive videogame in the first place. You know'; the stuff that defines and separates a Videogame at it's core from other entertainment media like movies, books or music etc? So, story is all cool with me, but not if it means games are more linear, less interactive, more forced and scripted and just less fun to actually play in the first place, as opposed to watch.

Call of Duty's single player is a great example of what I'm talking about; on the surface it looks far more evolved than say Doom but in reality it's just very linear, scripted and uninteractive and it does in actual fact just play itself if you let it. The player isn't even needed for the most part. Although, to be fair, it is actually a rather exciting and explosive semi-interactive movie to "play" through (a bit like I imagine Michael Bay would do a videogame):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULv6HbgEjY

Now, COD clearly has a far more advanced story than Doom but personally I feel it's a massive step backwards in terms of the underlying gameplay design (despite many advances in quite a few technical areas such as physics or AI etc); the stuff that actually makes it a game as opposed to a movie imo.

So, I absolutely hear ya but I still stand by my original point.

Note: Not all modern games are like this. Just like not all old games were about pure gameplay etc. It's just a general observation and reasoning as to why many modern games as I see them really aren't as special and certainly not as much fun to play as many people seem to think they are. Especially the ones that get most of the hype and success these days it seems.

Basically; Wrap a fully developed and expertly realized story around the likes of Doom (the originals, 1/2/Ultimate/etc, as opposed to say Doom 3), also bring the graphics and tech up to modern day standards just so it's on an even playing field (once again, Doom 3 wasn't that game imo), and I bet more people would have far more fun playing and replaying that game than they would the likes of Call of Duty, any day of the week, as an example.

That's how I think about it anyway.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

=

Gamer.

Ilovegames1992

That's very, very broad.

I wouldn't consider someone who plays Fifa once a week a gamer in my persoal opinion.

Very much agree. But even so a term like "true gamer" is just an inaccurate way of discerning one's level of commitment to their pastime, to say nothing of its elitist undertones. I more often define by enthusiast and recreational. I'm sure anybody can easily decipher the meanings therein.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Proclaiming 'true gamer'. Translates too. 'I need personal validation of my interest in videogames'. The term 'gamer' itself is ugh.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

=

Gamer.

AdobeArtist

That's very, very broad.

Veru much agree. But even so a term like "true gamer" is just an inaccurate way of discerning one's level of commitment to their pastime, to say nothing of its elitist undertones. I more often define by enthusiast and recreational. I'm sure anybody can easily decipher the meanings therein.

Yes i agree. Depends on what the term gamer means really.

If i've watched like ten films in my life, i don't think that makes me a film afficiando, same for music, same for games.

I think you need a certain level of active enthusiasm and interest to classify you as 'true' per se.

Even though its a silly claim to make in my view.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

That's very, very broad.

Ilovegames1992

Very much agree. But even so a term like "true gamer" is just an inaccurate way of discerning one's level of commitment to their pastime, to say nothing of its elitist undertones. I more often define by enthusiast and recreational. I'm sure anybody can easily decipher the meanings therein.

If i've watched like ten films in my life, i don't think that makes me a film afficiando, same for music, same for games.

I think you need a certain level of active enthusiasm and interest to classify you as 'true' per se.

As I said, "true gamer" is a silly claim to make, whereas enthusiast or even afficianado are more accurate ways to differentiate from the recreational gamer. And good analogy there with film and music.

But the difference is not only how much one invests in the pastime (both in money and time) but the extent of knowledge one garners in it as well. Someone who occasionally picks up the controller (or mouse and keyboard in gaming application) for that brief diversion isn't really as involved as someone who goes to lengths to know about the developers behind the game - their history and creation process, as well as a deeper appreciation of the lore within the game that goes beyond what the gameplay experience offers, such as books and other references to characters and the history of the worlds therin.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

To OP,

There never was such thing as a "gamer". The term "gamer" is a term coined by groups which want to stamp a simple label on a person or group of people (with little to no consideration to the individual).

(The fact you like a game unlike a FPS with AAA storylines and like something with more strategy logic just means you now enjoy a game more strategy logic. If you like video games, no need to restrict or be ashamed of your tastes.)

BilkeLegenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BilkeLegenda
Member since 2009 • 1933 Posts
One of ur problems might be that ur only playing first person shooters, personally I'm no a fan of fps because I feel that this genre never has any good stories, but that's my opinion. Perhaps you u should give other genres a chance, such as third person shooters or games in general, maybe even strategy, try something different, something besides fps, I think u will find there are many good games outside of fps that consist of good stories and gameplay.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

As I said, "true gamer" is a silly claim to make, whereas enthusiast or even afficianado are more accurate ways to differentiate from the recreational gamer. And good analogy there with film and music.

But the difference is not only how much one invests in the pastime (both in money and time) but the extent of knowledge one garners in it as well. Someone who occasionally picks up the controller (or mouse and keyboard in gaming application) for that brief diversion isn't really as involved as someone who goes to lengths to know about the developers behind the game - their history and creation process, as well as a deeper appreciation of the lore within the game that goes beyond what the gameplay experience offers, such as books and other references to characters and the history of the worlds therin.

you guys replaced a vague term with terms that are also hard to define. maybe its cuz i have soo many skilled gamer friends that have other priorities....but i don't think time and knowledge counts either....its all about the passion for it.
Sebastien_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sebastien_
Member since 2013 • 31 Posts
I love games where I need to play just to see what happens next with the story regardless of gameplay (to a certain degree of course).
fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

=

Gamer.

MLBknights58
They can't help it. Segregationist mind set. This is mine and not yours, cater to me. If you disagree then you aren't true, because the definition of "true" is based on me and nothing else. These are the same people that freak out when a game comes out either aimed at females, children or god forbid female children.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

Agree. You can be a lot bigger gamer than someone who plays the same game as you but you know more about the game than that other person does.

Although i wonder if there is a cut off point between being a gamer and not being a gamer.

maybe there is a mathematical equation for it. Passion + knowledge + time invested = gamer status? Haha

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

PresidentLogan

then i wouldn't be a true gamer either, people approach games for different reasons, my main one is and always have been enjoying a good story (hence why i love rpgs and why im sad to see pure singple player games go away).

The term "gamer" is as always on this board badly used, i personally see it as someone who enjoys spending time in games when he has some free time, some people think is having no life outside gaming.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

Agree. You can be a lot bigger gamer than someone who plays the same game as you but you know more about the game than that other person does.

Although i wonder if there is a cut off point between being a gamer and not being a gamer.

maybe there is a mathematical equation for it. Passion + knowledge + time invested = gamer status? Haha

The distinctions are always subjective by perspective, each player considering "how much is enough".

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
A gamer is someone that plays video games. Don't try to complicate it.
lonewolfman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lonewolfman10
Member since 2012 • 528 Posts

i am a true gamer because i own 2 games.

sukraj

Oh yeah, very true gamer indeed

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

TC... if you are looking for an FPS with a decent story / emotional hook, I suggest the Resistance games. Maybe not the best FPS around, but the story kept me playing... especially Resi 2 and 3.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Do you play videogames?

If yes, you're a gamer. Screw that "true gamer" crap.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
If you read enough thought provoking books and watch enough deep dynamic movies then maybe you'l get so sick of stories that you might even start playing Pong just to get some basic form of interaction again. Try it.
lonewolfman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lonewolfman10

Do you play videogames?

If yes, you're a gamer. Screw that "true gamer" crap.

The_Game21x

This

svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

No one is a true gamer because no such thing exists. And we should also drop the term "gamer"; do you call people listen to music musicers, who watch movies moviers, who read books bookers?

Haroon90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Haroon90
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I think what I am getting at is that I cannot just enjoy pure gameplay anymore which I regret and know I am missing out on alot of great games but I've trid and I can't even force myself.

PresidentLogan
You sound similar to me,i recently got a ps3 after not owning a console for a number of years (last one i had was a wii) and from the titles that ive played on it,i think im actually getting bored of games in general now,i dont know if it's because ive played games alot for a number of years of my life and now my interest has waned,or if the same types of games and experience are repeating themselves and it's the games fault ive lost interest,i think it's a mixture of both and to be honest the most memorable game experiences ive had in my life are from the last generation with games such as final fantasy x or even 7,9,shenmue,halo and halo 2,games that had genuine interesting storys that gripped you and made you want to progress through the game,i find narrative in games in this generation has hit an all time low,it seems the graphics and gimmicky controls of this gen replaced the need to tell rich deep storys within a gaming experience. Hopefully the next generation will provide some memorable experiences but as i agree with the TC it's all about the narrative for me. Just the same i don't watch movies for just the 'action' or tv shows for the blowing stuff up scenes,if there's no interesting plot to tie it all together i've lost all interest.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Why do you ask?

Did you buy a Vita?

You bought a Vita, didn't you, TC. :|

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

My grandmother who plays puzzle games on her Kindle is as much of a gamer as anyone else on this board.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Define "true gamer".

Sagem28
You beat me to it. TC.....If I made a thread asking what a true gamer was, I would get 200 responses with 200 different answers. To me a true gamer is somebody willing to buy a gaming system to play games on and that's it. If you weren't a true gamer, you wouldn't buy a system to play on. All these stupid modern day names for gamers are just that......stupid. But I too need a story for most games and end up losing interest without one. It is the reason I can't bring myself to be bothered with ever finishing Demon's Souls and why I have no desire to get Dark Souls.
lonewolfman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lonewolfman10

My grandmother who plays puzzle games on her Kindle is as much of a gamer as anyone else on this board.

whiskeystrike

How old is she?

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

PresidentLogan

Well in classic games the "story" was implied.

They didn't have cutscenes and big intros to spoon feed the story to you.

The gameplay and environment made you imagine the plot.

For example in Diablo 1, there was just some blurb about "tales of dark creatures below a monastary" and it just threw you in there to let your imagination take control about why these demons were here, what do they want, what's the story, etc.

Simple fact is that "gaming" to alot of the industry is no longer a labor of love.

It's a business.

They're trying to find formulas that make people buy the game and go home with alot of money.

So it's not surprise that you play alot of games and be like "this schit sucks."

It isn't not fun because you're not a real gamer.

It's not fun because it's not fun.

Every Crysis game I've played was trash.

Every Halo game I've played was trash.

Hell even ME3 was trash.

Not because I'm not a "real" gamer, I'm as real as it gets.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#46 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
I'm a real gamer because I play games and I am really alive. That's all that is required. All that true gamer, hardcore gamer, yata yata gamer stuff is ego padding crap.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="PresidentLogan"]

ZombieKiller7

Well in classic games the "story" was implied.

They didn't have cutscenes and big intros to spoon feed the story to you.

The gameplay and environment made you imagine the plot.

For example in Diablo 1, there was just some blurb about "tales of dark creatures below a monastary" and it just threw you in there to let your imagination take control about why these demons were here, what do they want, what's the story, etc.

Simple fact is that "gaming" to alot of the industry is no longer a labor of love.

It's a business.

They're trying to find formulas that make people buy the game and go home with alot of money.

So it's not surprise that you play alot of games and be like "this schit sucks."

It isn't not fun because you're not a real gamer.

It's not fun because it's not fun.

Every Crysis game I've played was trash.

Every Halo game I've played was trash.

Hell even ME3 was trash.

Not because I'm not a "real" gamer, I'm as real as it gets.

Gaming has always been a business. Labour of love in the industry still exists.

Crysis isn't trash.

Halo isn't trash.

ME3 wasn't trash.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

lonewolfman10

How old is she?

78 I think?
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#49 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

Why do you ask?

Did you buy a Vita?

You bought a Vita, didn't you, TC. :|

DarkLink77

I might go out tomorrow to buy a Vita.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

You're a gamer even if you can't stand the CODs of the world.