All but official, Bungie breaks away from Microsoft Game Studios

• 158 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts

[QUOTE="shoeman12"]... if you follow it back to the original source its some random blog. there people claiming to have been told by their friends and bungie is owned by ms.naughtydog360

HERE IS MORE PROOF

http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/NewsCom-71551.aspx

heres the original source

im_different

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 im_different
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts

ms owns bungie. someone else has to buy them from ms or bungie has to buy themselves back from ms. they cant just leave. its not possible.

naughtydog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 naughtydog360
Member since 2007 • 805 Posts
[QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

[QUOTE="mwa"]MS owns bungie. bungie can't "leave" unless MS decides to sell them off, and i really don't see that happening. sure the development team could leave for other jobs, but bungie studios itself can't "leave" since MS owns them 100%mwa

Do you have a masters in business ? Banking and finance.. ..

Bungie as a whole can leave M$ whenever they want, all they gota do is QUIT.. and redo the company. Its pretty obvious why bungie ( IF ) wants to leave M$, microsft is probebly giving Bungie a smaller cut than they deserve on Halo 3.. Microsoft is ripping them off. If they leave, that woudnt happen, and they woudnt be forced into developing only Halo games :S

Bungie can leave anytime they like, just like ever studios and developers .. ( research before posting ). For Example, most of warhawk developers left, there are 6 developers left for warhawk.. there were 100 a year ago, where did they go ? they left Sony and joined David jeff ( developer of God of war ) in the new studio they call "Eat,sleep, play, and rest".

Everything is possible..

do you have basic 3rd grade reading comprehension? read before you post. i clearly stated that the members of the team can leave for other jobs if they want, but bungie studios (e.g. the entity itself) cannot be taken independent as it is wholly owned by MS. and sorry to inform you but i do work in investment banking. what about you?

What im trying to say, is it possible for all Bungie employees to leave Bungie and Start a new Company ?

7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts

"All but confirmed"

OK USA

FRANK DUX is my man!

Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts

[QUOTE="shoeman12"]... if you follow it back to the original source its some random blog. there people claiming to have been told by their friends and bungie is owned by ms.naughtydog360

HERE IS MORE PROOF

Those rumors surrounding a Bungie departure from Microsoft sure sound fishy, so Kotaku got in touch with some folks who might know a thing or two about it. Kotaku were hoping for either a "Yes, it's true. You'll find the details of the settlement in the attached PDF" or "Of course it's not true. Don't be ridiculous." Instead they got a double barrel blast of non-confirmation.

The response from a Bungie source? "Talk to your Edelman rep."

The response from Edelman, Microsoft's PR firm? "There's been no such announcement. We continue to celebrate the tremendous success of the global phenomenon that is Halo 3." Kotaku

The response from a Bungie source? "Talk to your Edelman rep." Why didnt Bungie just say it? Are they afraid? Did Microsoft told them to stay quiet?

Maybe they dont want to answer dumb questions that originated on a forum starting with something like "someone close to my friend."

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts
[QUOTE="mismajor99"]

PC, PS3, and Wii here Bungie Comes, while Halo is obviously MS's owned IP. Maybe the next Marathon? Who knows....

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7342&Itemid=9

-DarthVader-

thing thats funny is bungie sucked before halo and will suck after halo.

Oni :lol: lemming i wouldn't be worried if bungie left.

Hardly, Bungie created Marathon series and the Myth series long before being bought out by Microsoft.

naughtydog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 naughtydog360
[QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

[QUOTE="shoeman12"]... if you follow it back to the original source its some random blog. there people claiming to have been told by their friends and bungie is owned by ms.shoeman12

HERE IS MORE PROOF

Heres my Source

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/bungie-microsoft-tight+lipped-on-separation-rumors-305825.php

Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

[QUOTE="mwa"]MS owns bungie. bungie can't "leave" unless MS decides to sell them off, and i really don't see that happening. sure the development team could leave for other jobs, but bungie studios itself can't "leave" since MS owns them 100%naughtydog360

Bungie as a whole can leave M$ whenever they want, all they gota do is QUIT.. and redo the company. Its pretty obvious why bungie ( IF ) wants to leave M$, microsft is probebly giving Bungie a smaller cut than they deserve on Halo 3.. Microsoft is ripping them off. If they leave, that woudnt happen, and they woudnt be forced into developing only Halo games :S

Bungie can leave anytime they like, just like ever studios and developers .. ( research before posting ). For Example, most of warhawk developers left, there are 6 developers left for warhawk.. there were 100 a year ago, where did they go ? they left Sony and joined David jeff ( developer of God of war ) in the new studio they call "Eat,sleep, play, and rest".

Everything is possible..

If Bungie as a whole is going to leave MS, 1st there would be more stuff about it, other than a bloggers friend of a friend, and 2nd they can start another company but is what the guy you quoted said. I am sure the whole Bungie taam will not leave MS. There would be news of it.

-DarthVader-

Bungie doesn't suck, Myth is one of my fave RTS, and is what got me hyped about Halo; before it was coming on the X-box it was going to the PC/Mac as what was first a RTS.

-DarthVader-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 -DarthVader-
Member since 2003 • 12590 Posts
[QUOTE="-DarthVader-"][QUOTE="mismajor99"]

PC, PS3, and Wii here Bungie Comes, while Halo is obviously MS's owned IP. Maybe the next Marathon? Who knows....

thirstychainsaw

What? Just because Bungie was a Mac developer doesn't mean you can just throw their other accomplishments out the window :|

Other accomplishments?

oni was on the ps2 and was one of the worst games ever made, their a one hit studio and if it wasn't for MS its putting money behind halo it would have been just another FPS.

Spartan_024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Spartan_024
Member since 2003 • 2601 Posts
The devs themselves can leave but the Bungie name now belongs to MS. Why would Bungie devs leave now after all the success they are having now?
mwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 mwa
Member since 2003 • 2639 Posts
[QUOTE="mwa"][QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

[QUOTE="mwa"]MS owns bungie. bungie can't "leave" unless MS decides to sell them off, and i really don't see that happening. sure the development team could leave for other jobs, but bungie studios itself can't "leave" since MS owns them 100%naughtydog360

Everything is possible..

do you have basic 3rd grade reading comprehension? read before you post. i clearly stated that the members of the team can leave for other jobs if they want, but bungie studios (e.g. the entity itself) cannot be taken independent as it is wholly owned by MS. and sorry to inform you but i do work in investment banking. what about you?

What im trying to say, is it possible for all Bungie employees to leave Bungie and Start a new Company ?

yes it is and that's what i said in my post. the members of the team can all leave if they want, but bungie studios (e.g. the legal entity) and whatever IPs MS has contractual ownership of, stays in MS's hands

for example, blizzard is owned by vivendi. yes, the entire team can leave whenever they want, but blizzard entertainment (the legal entity) and whatever IPs vivendi contractually owns (probably licenses to the Warcraft franchise) remains in vivendi's hands even if the entire development team takes off.

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 TyrantDragon55

Other accomplishments?

oni was on the ps2 and was one of the worst games ever made, their a one hit studio and if it wasn't for MS its putting money behind halo it would have been just another FPS.

-DarthVader-

The original Myth is listed as one of Gamespot's greatest games of all time. Guess who made it, that's right Bungie. If Microsoft wouldn't have bought them out than Halo would have been an RTS, much like Myth.

naughtydog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 naughtydog360
[QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

[QUOTE="shoeman12"]... if you follow it back to the original source its some random blog. there people claiming to have been told by their friends and bungie is owned by ms.thirstychainsaw

HERE IS MORE PROOF

Those rumors surrounding a Bungie departure from Microsoft sure sound fishy, so Kotaku got in touch with some folks who might know a thing or two about it. Kotaku were hoping for either a "Yes, it's true. You'll find the details of the settlement in the attached PDF" or "Of course it's not true. Don't be ridiculous." Instead they got a double barrel blast of non-confirmation.

The response from a Bungie source? "Talk to your Edelman rep."

The response from Edelman, Microsoft's PR firm? "There's been no such announcement. We continue to celebrate the tremendous success of the global phenomenon that is Halo 3." Kotaku

The response from a Bungie source? "Talk to your Edelman rep." Why didnt Bungie just say it? Are they afraid? Did Microsoft told them to stay quiet?

Maybe they dont want to answer dumb questions that originated on a forum starting with something like "someone close to my friend."

Then they would of said " Of course it's not true. Don't be ridiculous"..

But what did Bungie say ? " Talk to your Edelman rep. "

LOL

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts
This means Halo 4 could be multiplat soon and the other Halo games will be ported to other systems. Further death of exclusive gaming.....Not good.DeathIsARight

www.dictionary.com

Look up the word "trilogy."
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 thirstychainsaw

Other accomplishments?

-DarthVader-

You should Wikipedia Bungie.

naughtydog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 naughtydog360
[QUOTE="naughtydog360"][QUOTE="mwa"][QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

[QUOTE="mwa"]MS owns bungie. bungie can't "leave" unless MS decides to sell them off, and i really don't see that happening. sure the development team could leave for other jobs, but bungie studios itself can't "leave" since MS owns them 100%mwa

Everything is possible..

yes it is and that's what i said in my post. the members of the team can all leave if they want, but bungie studios (e.g. the legal entity) and whatever IPs MS has contractual ownership of, stays in MS's hands

for example, blizzard is owned by vivendi. yes, the entire team can leave whenever they want, but the blizzard entertainment (the legal entity) and whatever IPs vivendi contractually owns (probably licenses to the Warcraft franchise) remains in vivendi's hands even if the entire development team takes off.

Then why the hell am i arguing with you, your view = my view.

michael098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 michael098
Member since 2006 • 3441 Posts
Worst news EVER!!!! No Bungie Nooooooo!!!!!!!
Spartan_024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Spartan_024
Member since 2003 • 2601 Posts
[QUOTE="thirstychainsaw"][QUOTE="-DarthVader-"][QUOTE="mismajor99"]

-DarthVader-

What? Just because Bungie was a Mac developer doesn't mean you can just throw their other accomplishments out the window :|

Other accomplishments?

What about the Myth and Marathon? Those two games were great. Oni and Halo are not the only games that Bungie developed.
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 thirstychainsaw

LOL

naughtydog360

They didn't comment on the 640p incident until now, they don't want to bothered.

mwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 mwa
Member since 2003 • 2639 Posts

Then why the hell am i arguing with you, your view = my view.

naughtydog360

i guess you misread my first post.

naughtydog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 naughtydog360

The devs themselves can leave but the Bungie name now belongs to MS. Why would Bungie devs leave now after all the success they are having now?Spartan_024

If your part of Bungie's Halo3 developers, and you have 1 of the Top games in the world. And you have Microsoft taking Most of the profit for themselfs, and you are forced to only make Halo games. Would you be happy ? being a slave to Microsoft and having most of the profit you deserve go to big cash dady Microsoft ..

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#72 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
robbie bach dumping stocks, peter moore quite to join ea, ms loosing bizare and bungie. could ms be exiting the console realm?
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 TyrantDragon55

[QUOTE="Spartan_024"]The devs themselves can leave but the Bungie name now belongs to MS. Why would Bungie devs leave now after all the success they are having now?naughtydog360

If your part of Bungie's Halo3 developers, and you have 1 of the Top games in the world. And you have Microsoft taking Most of the profit for themselfs, and you are forced to only make Halo games. Would you be happy ? being a slave to Microsoft and having most of the profit you deserve go to big cash dady Microsoft ..

Do you have any proof that this is the case or are you just speculating? Obviously Microsoft has no problem handing the Halo series over to another developer if Halo Wars is any evidence.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 -Renegade

[QUOTE="Spartan_024"]The devs themselves can leave but the Bungie name now belongs to MS. Why would Bungie devs leave now after all the success they are having now?naughtydog360

if it wasn't for ms noone would problaby even know who bungie is. ms made bungie who they are today.

JimmyT2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 JimmyT2
Member since 2007 • 771 Posts

Bungie can't leave MS but MS can sure sell Bungie. What if that's what is happening? I don't see why they would do it of course.

-DarthVader-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 -DarthVader-
Member since 2003 • 12590 Posts
[QUOTE="-DarthVader-"]

Other accomplishments?

thirstychainsaw

could care less about the 90's there recent track record is a garbage game and an overrated console FPS. plus they don't even own the right to myth anymore LIVING iN THE PAST IS FUN!!! sega was once a great company and could actually developer a half decent platformer.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 shoeman12
[QUOTE="shoeman12"][QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

HERE IS MORE PROOF

Heres my Source

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/bungie-microsoft-tight+lipped-on-separation-rumors-305825.php

its still just a rumor from a random blog. gaming websites report rumors that aren't nescessarily true.

JimmyT2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 JimmyT2

robbie bach dumping stocks, peter moore quite to join ea, ms loosing bizare and bungie. could ms be exiting the console realm?-Renegade

Yeah that is the only reason they would sell Bungie that I can think of.

naughtydog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 naughtydog360
[QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

LOL

thirstychainsaw

They didn't comment on the 640p incident until now, they don't want to bothered.

When asked about the 640p incident they didnt reply " Talk to your Edelman rep." They gave us there answer, there reasons.

We do all know Micrsoft, they dont want any bad media, they would respond FAST" but this time... nothing yet ..

Anyone remember the PGR thing with Dvd9 disk space :O ect. ect..

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 TyrantDragon55
[QUOTE="thirstychainsaw"][QUOTE="-DarthVader-"]

Other accomplishments?

-DarthVader-

could care less about the 90's there recent track record is a garbage game and an overrated console FPS. plus they don't even own the right to myth anymore LIVING iN THE PAST IS FUN!!! sega was once a great company and could actually developer a half decent platformer.

Well that's convienant, evidence is revealed that completely destroys your arguement and what do you do? Brush it aside and pretend it doesn't exist.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

[QUOTE="Spartan_024"]The devs themselves can leave but the Bungie name now belongs to MS. Why would Bungie devs leave now after all the success they are having now?-Renegade

if it wasn't for ms noone would problaby even know who bungie is. ms made bungie who they are today.

:|

All Microsoft did was buy them out while they were making Halo.

kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts
This means Halo 4 could be multiplat soon and the other Halo games will be ported to other systems. Further death of exclusive gaming.....Not good.DeathIsARight
Wrong!! MS owns the Halo franchise. They bought the rights to it.If MS chooses to lt Bungie go, they will do while keeping Halo right where it belongs!!! Heres a little fuel to the fire.....Goodbye Bungie, Hello EPIC...Halo 4.....360 exclusive!!!!! Just a thought!
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 TyrantDragon55

Danm_999

Halo was going to be a PC/Mac RTS before microsoft bought them out, there's no way it would have been as successful.

naughtydog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 naughtydog360
[QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

[QUOTE="Spartan_024"]The devs themselves can leave but the Bungie name now belongs to MS. Why would Bungie devs leave now after all the success they are having now?-Renegade

Same thing with Sqaure soft. Sqaure enix woudnt have existed if it wasnt for sony, dude Sqaure was about to be bankrupted after there Movie bomb.

Same thing with David jeff, ( Twisted metal, God of war devleoper ) Sony gave him the cash, a team, some crazy equipment. If it wasnt for sony, he woudnt be were he is today. What happend to him ? he left sony to start his own gaming studio :)

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 -Renegade
[QUOTE="-Renegade"][QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

[QUOTE="Spartan_024"]The devs themselves can leave but the Bungie name now belongs to MS. Why would Bungie devs leave now after all the success they are having now?Danm_999

and made them turn it into a fps and put on of the biggest marketing campaigns behind it.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

TyrantDragon55

Halo was going to be a PC/Mac RTS before microsoft bought them out, there's no way it would have been as successful.

Why not? The PC/MAC userbase was and is much, much larger than the Xbox ever was. Halo 1 only ever got to about 5 million.

I think it's fair to speculate Halo could have been much bigger if it was released on PC as was originally intended.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

TyrantDragon55

thats a highly speculative thing to say....the Halo games may sell a lot...but we have no idea what kind of profit they generate.....with such a massive advertising campagn behind it...its probably a lot less then most people assume off the bat.

JimmyT2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 JimmyT2
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

TyrantDragon55

Who knows? Maybe it would have been so huge it would have helped Mac defeat Windows and Bungie would own MS today :)

naughtydog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 naughtydog360
[QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

[QUOTE="Spartan_024"]The devs themselves can leave but the Bungie name now belongs to MS. Why would Bungie devs leave now after all the success they are having now?TyrantDragon55

Do you have any proof that this is the case or are you just speculating? Obviously Microsoft has no problem handing the Halo series over to another developer if Halo Wars is any evidence.

Only Speculating.

Microsoft can easily hand the Hao series over to another developer but would they be as good as the real developers, or would they ruin the game ? ( most people that take over other people game ruin it.. )

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="-Renegade"][QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

and made them turn it into a fps and put on of the biggest marketing campaigns behind it.

It was really the game it was without Microsoft; Bungie made the decision to change it from an RTS to an action oriented game. It was only after Microsoft acquired Bungie it turned from an action to an FPS. Not really that huge a deal, I'm inclined to credit Bungie more than MS with that.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 -Renegade
i honestly wouldn't be surprised if ms announced next year that they are going to cease xbox 360 production.
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 TyrantDragon55
[QUOTE="TyrantDragon55"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]

Danm_999

Why not? The PC/MAC userbase was and is much, much larger than the Xbox ever was. Halo 1 only ever got to about 5 million.

I think it's fair to speculate Halo could have been much bigger if it was released on PC as was originally intended.

Because RTSs are not as mainstream as FPSs, it could have been successful but I doubt it would have been the comercial success it is today.

thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 thirstychainsaw
[QUOTE="thirstychainsaw"][QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

LOL

naughtydog360

When asked about the 640p incident they didnt reply " Talk to your Edelman rep." They gave us there answer, there reasons.

We do all know Micrsoft, they dont want any bad media, they would respond FAST" but this time... nothing yet ..

Anyone remember the PGR thing with Dvd9 disk space :O ect. ect..

Okay.

"We would ignore it entirely were it not for the internet's propensity for drama where none exists. In fact the reason we haven't mentioned this before in weekly updates, is the simple fact that it would have distracted conversation away from more important aspects of the game, and given tinfoil hats some new gristle to chew on as they catalogued their toenail clippings."

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#94 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts

:lol:

Yeah right, and cows will unite with the Covenant and destroy Earth.

thirstychainsaw
That just might happen. :shock:
Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts

this is good, now i get to see all the sheep and cows say omgz i want Halo 4!!!!!!!!!!11

theeeeen the rumor is debunked. 8)

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#96 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
i honestly wouldn't be surprised if ms announced next year that they are going to cease xbox 360 production.-Renegade
Hehe that was a good one.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="TyrantDragon55"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]

TyrantDragon55

Because RTSs are not as mainstream as FPSs, it could have been successful but I doubt it would have been the comercial success it is today.

part of the reason its a "commercial success" is because of the huge MS sponsored advertising campagn that easily rivals even top blockbuster movies....without it...I doubt it would sell particulary well.

thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 thirstychainsaw
[QUOTE="thirstychainsaw"]

:lol:

Yeah right, and cows will unite with the Covenant and destroy Earth.

MoldOnHold

That just might happen. :shock:

Eat more beef, hurry!

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 TyrantDragon55

Only Speculating.

Microsoft can easily hand the Hao series over to another developer but would they be as good as the real developers, or would they ruin the game ? ( most people that take over other people game ruin it.. )

naughtydog360

Doesn't matter, my point is why would Microsoft force Halo on bungie (to the point that bungie employees opt to leave) when they obviously don't mindputting the franchise in the hands of other developers?

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 shoeman12

i honestly wouldn't be surprised if ms announced next year that they are going to cease xbox 360 production.-Renegade

i could say the same thing about sony. 5 million consoles sold vs 11 million sold, which is worse?