Adam Sessler's in-depth review of the Xbox One

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Not sure if someone's posted this yet or not. Worth a watch though.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Sessler review?

Actually worth watching /10

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

That was actually... Reasonable. Damn.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Sessler review?

Actually worth watching /10

He's making some really valid points. I gotta watch his PS4 review

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Hey says kinect still sucks and you get as much out of it as you put in. Some really awesome apps, Doesn't mention games, says PS4 is a more gaming centric experience akin to last gen rather than the heavy media focus MS is putting on it, says some things such as apps need refinement.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Adam always does a good job when reviewing - and that was an overall good review.

I'm a little curious as to why he felt the need to mention the Xbox One wasn't/isn't perfect, as what new hardware is at launch?

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Been hopping around to different sites and so far the majority are reviewing the Xbox One to be a better machine than the PS4.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Very good thread. Glad you posted it. Like what I hear about the X1. Its not perfect he says and I really don't expect perfection. But the potential for a real home hub is there and frankly, I gotta keep up on my Halo so.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Xbone has some nifty spytech.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

Whats the point of picture in picture? Who plays a game and watches TV at the same time?

Theres a very good reason why picture in picture never took off in TVs

Wutabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Wutabi
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I thought that was a great review on the console. My only concern is his comment on the bumpers and triggers of the controller; ''uncomfortable cramps''? I personally haven't even tried out the controller and see for myself. Guess I'll find out Thursday...lol

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

Yeah, no surprise captain lem would love TV. Only thing Xbone does well.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

He was spot on, really.

Bottomline:

XBOX ONE = Multimedia Gaming Console

PS4 = Gaming Centric Console.

The PS4 seem more appealing to me for what I want.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

Adam always does a good job when reviewing - and that was an overall good review.

I'm a little curious as to why he felt the need to mention the Xbox One wasn't/isn't perfect, as what new hardware is at launch?

Well, I assumed it was because the system is based on that impact of the new sort of experience feeling like the better way of doing things. First impressions are pretty strong in that regard. They need to wow you off the bat. The hiccups could proved major is not addressed soon, if simply based on MS's approach this gen.

Avatar image for supercowelitist
SuperCowElitist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By SuperCowElitist
Member since 2013 • 732 Posts

@M8ingSeezun said:

He was spot on, really.

Bottomline:

Agree.

Ps4 for gamers by gamers. Xbone, for tv lovers by tv lovers.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

@gago-gago: yep pretty much true.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21702 Posts

Good review, but he pretty much convinced me that the xbox one is not for me. I don't care about any of that multimedia stuff, and I never will.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@lx_theo said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Well, I assumed it was because the system is based on that impact of the new sort of experience feeling like the better way of doing things. First impressions are pretty strong in that regard. They need to wow you off the bat. The hiccups could proved major is not addressed soon, if simply based on MS's approach this gen.

I'm laughing my ass off at GameSpot's live play they're doing now - because of the voice commands not knowing exactly what it is being told to do (mainly because Danny O'Dwyer's accent) but it does help me understand where Adam is coming from.

And it is understandable that Kinect won't be perfect - mainly because it has a laundry list of phrases it will respond to and it will respond to only those phrases.

--- And GameSpot just stated "when it works it works really well"

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50595 Posts

Good review but wow, the motion still sucks???

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

lol'd at "If you are an avid TV watcher or want to skype with grandma on the couch, the xbox one has a lot of potential"

He really went hype on the TV features.. Really got my unexcited for the system, I don't watch TV and he was unimpressed by everything else. Even got hand cramps from the small controller and weird bumpers

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

Good review. Work in progress but everything oes work to varying degrees. All in all mostly positive reviews out of the seven or 8 I've read. Nothing unexpected so far and at least everyone console is actually working, lol. Im expecting both the One and PS4 to be updating like crazy the next six months patching all those holes. Good times ahead though.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I don't want to avidly watch the price is right with my grandma, so I guess the xbox one isn't for me.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Interesting watch.

Yeah I don't care for the Xbone.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Sounds like the X1 has a more ambitious plan this gen than Sony.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@mems_1224 said:

I guess it all depends what game shows interest you.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

You can't instantly stream gameplay on Xbox One? That's a huge disappointment. That's my favorite feature on PS4.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@mems_1224 said:

I guess it all depends what game shows interest you.

And games seeing as how MS has an upper hand over PS4's pitiful offerings over the next year.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ReadingRainbow4

@PinkiePirate said:

You can't instantly stream gameplay on Xbox One? That's a huge disappointment. That's my favorite feature on PS4.

No twitch functionality until a later date either.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@PinkiePirate said:

No twitch functionality until a later date either.

Wow. That sucks.

The PS4 does such a good job with streaming too. It's set up almost exactly like OnLive. "Live with PlayStation" is like an exact copy of "The Arena" from OnLive. And that's a good thing because the way OnLive handled live streaming was perfect. It's awesome to see it happen on a popular platform like the PS4.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@lx_theo said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

I think that's exactly it. The Kotaku Review (and yeah I know, Kotaku, but it's a well written review) summed it up much the same way when bringing up some of the inconsistencies of the OS. The XB1 is supposed to become the center of your entertainment center and fundamentally change the way you react with everything connected to it. If you run into obstacles, or things don't work the way they're advertised, you'll eventually end up disconnecting everything from it and using it as a standard console... and that changes the entire value proposition.

From all I've read, it really seems to me that MS has been working under the gun for months now redesigning many features of the OS since the "180" hit. We may not know if MS can even deliver a functional convergant experience for months to come, as they get around piece by piece to fixing the things that just don't QUITE work yet.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@kingoflife9 said:

Xbox One is simply better than PS4.

At surfing Apps. Finish your sentences!

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 silversix_

@kingoflife9 said:

@silversix_ said:

@kingoflife9 said:

Better games, better wifi which equals better online, also better voice chat. Did I mention all those great games coming out in the next year? Clearly Xbox One is THE console to have. PS4 is boring, Wii U is even better than PS4 with Mario 3d and Smash Bros.

Don't be jealous.

I don't get jealous about POS's. Currently watching GS's live stream and they're confirming it

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 santoron

@mems_1224 said:

MS has had a more ambitious plan than the other console makers for a decade before they started making consoles. For MS, it's always been about getting one of their boxes to become the center of your living room from webTV, to their (largely abandoned) HTPC support, the the XBox line. The catch is, the big device they are competing with here is the remote, and while the remote isn't always the most simple device to navigate, it works damn near 100% of the time. If MS can't deliver reliable control, people are going to end up relegating the XB1 to "mere console" status instead of connecting everything through it, and that relegates a ton of the features of the XB1 to the trashbin.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 silversix_
@kingoflife9 said:

@silversix_ said:

@kingoflife9 said:

@silversix_ said:

@kingoflife9 said:

Better games, better wifi which equals better online, also better voice chat. Did I mention all those great games coming out in the next year? Clearly Xbox One is THE console to have. PS4 is boring, Wii U is even better than PS4 with Mario 3d and Smash Bros.

Don't be jealous.

I don't get jealous about POS's. Currently watching GS's live stream and they're confirming it

haha nice try. your the king of cows LOL.

stop fanboyin' your console preference and watch it yourself. Its more comedy than anything

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@santoron said:

From all I've read, it really seems to me that MS has been working under the gun for months now redesigning many features of the OS since the "180" hit. We may not know if MS can even deliver a functional convergant experience for months to come, as they get around piece by piece to fixing the things that just don't QUITE work yet.

At least from watching GameSpot use it in their live stream - it works well when you do exactly what you have to do (and don't have an accent if using the voice commands).

Everything works and works well, you just have to do what is required of you to utilize it properly.

....or you could just use the controller for everything and treat the One like the 360.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

@M8ingSeezun said:

He was spot on, really.

Bottomline:

It's gaming-centric by default by virtue of there being not much else to it...

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By santoron

@R3FURBISHED said:

At least from watching GameSpot use it in their live stream - it works well when you do exactly what you have to do (and don't have an accent if using the voice commands).

Everything works and works well, you just have to do what is required of you to utilize it properly.

....or you could just use the controller for everything and treat the One like the 360.

I think that's a mostly fair statement, but lets be perfectly honest here: Voice and gesture controls seem to work well on the XB1, but no one spending considerable time with one so far has reported them to be error free. Or even close to error free. Much like the experience most of us have had with our phones, Voice recognition has come a long way, but still has frequent enough errors that you'll find yourself reissuing commands regularly. Sometimes it won't pick them up, and sometimes it won't do what you're asking. And while the Kinect camera has advanced, it's already been reported on occasion to not see people in a room, or see people not there, or mistake feet propped up for hands, or to require you to sit more towards the center to recognize you, or (in one amusing case) to see someone else walk by, and therefore sign the player out and the passer by in. And so on.

And while there isn't anything on the XB1 that you can't do without the controller, it's not been reported as a very smooth experience, and certainly not better than just doing what you've mentioned and just using the XB1 as a 360/regular old console and going back to using your entertainment center as you always have. But once you do that, you have to realize that a significant part of the cost of your fancy new console is wasted. The XB1 is purpose built to run your entertainment center. To run all video through it. To control everything. If none of that works seamlessly enough for the average gamer (or gamer's family members) to use, then it stands to reason that many will reassess whether the XB1's premium price is worth it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

A good review.

I just don't care for all this extra shit that's stuffed along with Xbone. I buy gaming consoles to game. I have Direct TV, I stream Netfilx with my PS4, and that's all I need. The Xbone's dashboard (from what it showed) looks like a cluttered, unorganized mess with tons of apps thrown everywhere, and that's pretty much what it was like with the 360 by the end.

Kinect's main feature has another problem: speech recognition tech is, and always will, remain ambiguous due to the inherent nature and structure of language. It's the reason (despite how overall decent it has become) I'll not use Apple's Siri, and it's the reason I'll never use Kinect's voice features. Voice recognition doesn't understand context, the difference between "its" and "it's", or "there", "their", "they're", and often screws up to nothing but frustration. I'm not going to sit there talking to my TV over and over until it gets it right when I can do it in two seconds with a gamepad or remote control. At least with a gamepad/controller I know I'm going to have a concrete, replicatable result 100% of the time. And also, I can't have any background music or ambient noise which further reduces functionality.

This is supposed to work in the living room bustling with activity?

Screw that.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43  Edited By 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

he seemed a bit disappointed .. may be it's just me.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

Even xbro like Adam not looking happy, and he probably got for free from Nelsons.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

@shawn30 said:

Im expecting both the One and PS4 to be updating like crazy the next six months patching all those holes. Good times ahead though.

Me too, it will be interesting to see exactly how much different and improved the feature set is for both consoles in that time.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

not once did he say this main feature is gaming......he himself said it is designed with media in mind.....not gaming.....sad day

jsolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jsolidus
Member since 2011 • 171 Posts

I've always liked sessler only reason i watched g4, that was a good review. but he didn't seem impressed with the system. I think most of the x1 features are gimmicky, the voice recognition seems like it would piss off people.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@M8ingSeezun said:

He was spot on, really.

Bottomline:

This

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I really want an xbox but I dont have a cable box, and every review and previews so far have stated that a big part of xbox one is live tv, well that function is "out the window" for me, cable tv is very expensive- $47 NZD a month and that's just basic with no recording dvr functions (dvr functions start at $88 NZD, still basic channels, no sport or movies). Plus New Zealand doesn't have voice features on launch day, we can use the American or England country settings for it (I think) but then it might not pick up on the NZ accent. Ps4 is looking to be a better option, pity I wanted to give Xbox a shot.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Sessler is the class of the gaming media. The guy is knowledgable, can have fun when the situation calls for it, and can be trusted.

There has still not been a solid review of what The One can do.

Things I want to see.

-App review

-Detailed breakdown of voice commands

-Friends system with skill matching for games

-An overview of dedicated servers on MSoft's network

-NFL linkup

These are all things that should have been reviewed when discussing the UI.