AC Unity vs Shadow of Mordor(a comparison)

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

First off I haven't played Shadow of Mordor and I'm not going to pretend I have. But I've watched a ton of youtube videos. I got AC Unity and spent as much time watching youtube thinking maybe I got the wrong game.

AC Unity to me is a beautiful looking game although sort of a cardboard cutout of what I'd imagine Paris would be. The tech is there with the crowds and cutscenes and special effects especially during transition missions where it has you in kind of God of War scenarios and cool stuff. Outside of that it's an incredibly unbalanced game with a map loaded iwth content which you literally have to avoid the main story to complete. You run around in circles to complete certain tasks that are so tedious and numerous it's ridiculous to even try. Most of the world itself is not interactive and it ends up feeling incredibly empty imo. The story is mediocre. The assassinations missions are good, but bugs and poor controls really take away from the gameplay imo. IT's somewhat understandable with the scope of the game and with all that it's trying to do. But it's also not with Ubisofts budget, regardless of whether they are trying to rush the process and release the game yearly. I enjoy the sneaking aspects of AC and pacing and ability to approach missions differently but it all doesn't work well. A lot of the time glitches happen that take you completely out of the sneaking aspect of the game. The world itself no matter how good it looks, ends up feeling more like AC1 and a return to just an overstuffed world that feels empty.

Shadow of Mordor seems to be much more tactical and what AC should be in ways. There actually is strategy involved with how you decide to make your way through the mission structure and execute. It's all done on the fly without all the fluff and ends up being a much more cohesive package and game. The map itself is not filled with a million things to do. Missions themselves and the nemesis system and how each mission is set up and how you decide to pick off enemies and infiltrate is all done on the fly. It might not look as good but overall what it's attempting to do just comes off as more of a game vs chores that you have to complete. I'm not sure where the depth in the game goes beyond that but that's the jist I get. It seems somewhat repetitive in it's current state.

Has anyone played both? Am I about right? Or am I wrong and Shadow of Mordor is just a movie game with more hype behind it that in reality is just an AC knockoff?

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Haven't played Unity, but I got bored of Mordor after about 10 hours. Totally surprised to see the game picking up GOTY awards, I thought outside of the combat system it was pretty mediocre.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Celtic_34

@dommeus said:

Haven't played Unity, but I got bored of Mordor after about 10 hours. Totally surprised to see the game picking up GOTY awards, I thought outside of the combat system it was pretty mediocre.

That's what I was wondering. It seems like it gets repetitive and really isn't much depth outside of that one thing they do. Just different design and got hyped like it's this big next gen thing when it's just a different combat system. Where have the good game makers gone. These games have huge budgets and hype behind them but as far as actual games and time being invested into making a really good game I'm not seeing it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@Celtic_34 said:

First off I haven't played Shadow of Mordor and I'm not going to pretend I have. But I've watched a ton of youtube videos.

Because that's totally the same thing.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Shadow of Mordor was alot of fun, but then the novelty wore off.

Plus Mordor isn't too fun to explore.

ACU isn't exactly "great" but Paris is simply incredible to explore.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

is shadows of mordor combat more repetivive than holding down the right trigger in Dragon age inquistion?

if so i dunno how the heck smash bro or whatever lose to these trash games for the year

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Celtic_34

@PhazonBlazer said:

Shadow of Mordor was alot of fun, but then the novelty wore off.

Plus Mordor isn't too fun to explore.

ACU isn't exactly "great" but Paris is simply incredible to explore.

I don't know if it's incredible to explore. It's pretty to look at and run around aimlessly. I'm not really sure what I'm exploring.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Celtic_34

@foxhound_fox said:
@Celtic_34 said:

First off I haven't played Shadow of Mordor and I'm not going to pretend I have. But I've watched a ton of youtube videos.

Because that's totally the same thing.

it isn't the same thing. That's why i made this thread but i think i can see where shadow of mordor is overhyped too. It gets repetitive and the amazing nemesis system is not like some of these sites make it out to be.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

@dommeus said:

That's what I was wondering. It seems like it gets repetitive and really isn't much depth outside of that one thing they do. Just different design and got hyped like it's this big next gen thing when it's just a different combat system. Where have the good game makers gone. These games have huge budgets and hype behind them but as far as actual games and time being invested into making a really good game I'm not seeing it.

They have the basis down for the next one though. A decent engine, a great combat system. I would rather they went with an original IP than LotR. Don't get me wrong I like LotR, but trying to cram a story between what already exists just isn't that interesting (look at War in the North as another example).

They should have gone for a victorian steampunk aesthetic and just fucking made up a decent story with enemies and characters and actually put you right in the thick of it (like the Batman and AC games have, at least in the past).

As someone said above, Mordor was boring to explore, on both sides of the half way mark.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Shadow of Mordor=good game

Assassin's Creed=not a good game

Really simple.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

If you haven't played Mordor, why make a comparison? Mordor is my GOTY.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Celtic_34

@chikenfriedrice said:

because i'm curious what other people think who have played both because im just gathering information and might purchase it. I don't trust people though too much, so i've researched it myself and thought it would make a good topic on two similar games that do things differently.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

because i'm curious what other people think who have played both because im just gathering information and might purchase it. I don't trust people though too much, so i've researched it myself and thought it would make a good topic on two similar games that do things differently.

I got ya.....Mordor is great and worthy of the GS award IMO

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I played both and got bored of both. Mordor has an interesting gimmick in the form of the Nemesis system but it's not something I'd consider revolutionary or groundbreaking. It certainly doesn't make up for a bland story and piss-easy combat.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I don't like Mordor but I am enjoying Unity.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I just beat Mordor, and while I didn't care for the story... especially the ending, the one thing I prefer greatly over the AC philosophy is that there was just the right amount of side missions. I got 100% and didn't have to go all OCD. AC Unity, by contrast, has a map that looks like the Milky Way galaxy. I tried to get back into the game after abandoning it shortly after launch, and it felt aimless and muddled. I applaud the busy feel of Paris, but it's just too much stuff that isn't that fun to do. And don't even get me started on those chests you have to unlock through external apps/websites... I checked AC Initiates and it was down, now months after launch. Just terrible.

So I prefer Mordor, though AC wins in the story department.... barely.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#18 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

Here take a look at Mordor. And be the judge. My opinion is while i enjoyed it, it was a joke in difficulty. No challenge at all.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6AV9W2ZdmjU

haha woooow

I haven't played this game yet but this video just shattered my hype for the game's combat

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

Here take a look at Mordor. And be the judge. My opinion is while i enjoyed it, it was a joke in difficulty. No challenge at all.

Christ. This about sums up my experience with the game. I didn't realize how overpowered dodging was mainly because I never felt a need to dodge, since attack and counter were the only buttons I needed to press in combat.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I liked both and somehow Ac Unity grabbed me for longer (haven't bothered finishing SoM yet).

SoM is great but when I prefer to play dota 2 or dark souls 2 over it (my core games right now), then that means it's a fail in my book.

I liked it, that's all I can say. But I also liked AC Unity.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Celtic_34

@princeofshapeir said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

Christ. This about sums up my experience with the game. I didn't realize how overpowered dodging was mainly because I never felt a need to dodge, since attack and counter were the only buttons I needed to press in combat.

That's what they want you to think in ways. They have people dying and offering them a challenge and people get mad and quit that's not good for business so they don't concentrate on good mechanics and just dumb the game down so a chimp can play it and find enjoyment by tricking them that way. I won't be buying the game mainly due in thanks to that video. I've been there. Not quite that mad lol. But I've been told im this that and this just because im analytical and have a cs degree and know bad AI when I see it. Whatever sells and puts money in their pockets. It's greed. They won't be getting my money.

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

I have both games and definitely like Assassins Creed better. I enjoyed Shadow of Mordor at first but in my opinion it's much more repetitive than Unity. I've been very impressed with Unity honestly although I know a lot of people haven't been. I guess it's because I hated Black Flag and all of the sailing involved and wasn't a big fan of AC3 either. Unity, to me, brought the series back to its roots. Also, the world in Mordor sucks compared to Paris

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#23 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Shadow of Mordor=good game

Assassin's Creed=not a good game

Really simple.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@dommeus said:

BHUR THUR NEMESIZ SYSTUR!!! OMGURZ

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@dommeus said:

Yeah i feel the same. Unity doenst look that interesting either, have not even cared to finish black flag...

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

SoM shows one part of a AC game and does it in a way that is fun.
AC games have never been fun, not in terms of combat, story, side content, collectibles, main quest or anything except the traversal.
SoM tells me that AC combat and world responding to the player can be done properly. That it can work.
I think the AC devs are on to something. I also think they will never be able to let go of most of the things that make AC bad.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@SuddenlyTragic said:

I have both games and definitely like Assassins Creed better. I enjoyed Shadow of Mordor at first but in my opinion it's much more repetitive than Unity. I've been very impressed with Unity honestly although I know a lot of people haven't been. I guess it's because I hated Black Flag and all of the sailing involved and wasn't a big fan of AC3 either. Unity, to me, brought the series back to its roots. Also, the world in Mordor sucks compared to Paris

Yeah I didn't like the sailing bits in Black Flag either.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I've played both. Unity was actually a pretty good AC game once htey squashed the frame rate issues. I like having a lot of options for side missions, and the assassination missions were finally done right, making the older AC games feel like they lost out by not doing it this way.

Mordor, was ok, fun combat if you like batman style fighting, but there was almost nothing to the story, and the battles got super repetitive after a while. The 'stealth' of it was practically non existent, and you just end up going all out battle for 10 minutes on a group of orcs until you defeat their leader, then on to the next rinse repeat.

Both games have issues at some level but I found Unity more compelling to beat.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

SoM is the better game. The story is lacking and the world feels a bit empty, but the game is just a lot of fun to play.

Even without the bugs, Unity is just a bad game. The story is abysmal, I can't even tell you who I was assassiniating the whole game. The relationship with Elise is okay, but it could've been better. It tries to make improvements to the franchise, but it's less fun to play than previous AC games. Side missions are uncompelling and boring. I don't even like the graphics in this game. The lighting is great but the amount of pop-in is distracting.

SoM is better, although I traded that game in too once I finished it to completion.