A petition to cancel the new Metroid game

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Well, this a first for me.

Metroid fans have started a petition to cancel the making and publishing of the new 3D Metroid game that was announced at E3

The petition so far gathered 19k supporter

Source

Although it is a stupid attempt, I as a metroid fan, understand it.

The game is Metroid Prime: Federation Force and it is coming in 2016

E3 Trailer

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5257 Posts

If people do not like Federation Force, then they should not buy it. I really do not see the point of this petition.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts
@onesiphorus said:

If people do not like Federation Force, then they should not buy it. I really do not see the point of this petition.

Bringing to light that people do not want stupid crap like this in the franchise.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Hahahahahahahahaha

I'm speechless.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

This really is the epitome of gamer entitlement!

I expect this has been accompanied with death threats against Nintendo employees and their families.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52436 Posts

I think the game doesn't look good at all, but this is pushing it.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

I expect this has been accompanied with death threats against Nintendo employees and their families.

Lol #cuttingformetroid i can see it now

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@k--m--k said:

Well, this a first for me.

Metroid fans TroIIs have started a petition to cancel the making and publishing of the new 3D Metroid game that was announced at E3

The petition so far gathered 17k supporter

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-petition-for-cancelation-of-metroid-prime-federation-force

Although it is a vain attempt, I as a metroid fan, understand it.

Metroid fans would never sign a petition to remove a Nintendo game, that would be downright disgraceful. Also would hurt the chance of Tanabe making another, he has spent so much time and money on this game. I understand if some dont want to buy it, but trying to remove Nintendo games that we love so much is sad.

They might make a petition to get one made, but never to take something away, thats childish.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Why does everyone result to calling things like this entitlement, it's really not. Things like this taking place lead to the downfall and ruined reputation of quality franchises, not to mention the lack of funding available for something that's actually good. Look at Sonic for crying out loud, it was such a fantastic franchise and was ruined by shovelware games being pushed out left and right, which not only irreparably damaged Sega and Sonic's reputation, but also took tens to hundreds of millions of dollars away from what could be quality games. Look at Shenmue 3 for example, a franchise forced through crowdfunding to even exist, Sega could have funded it probably ten times over with all the money they've pissed away on these throwaway games...

They're a detriment to not only the franchise for which they originate, but also the company as a whole and other projects...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56150 Posts

No bring it to 3DS. 3DS needs more games, more games dammit. What's the point of starting a petition? Nintendo already said that starting a new Metroid Prime on Wii U is futile at this moment when the new console is on the horizon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

This is sad.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14417 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

This is sad.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I understand the disappointment, but I find this distasteful.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1475 Posts

Absolutely pathetic.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44577 Posts

meh, if they cancelled it they wouldn't replace it with anything, at this point I'm willing to just take what they offer

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Well I will be honest.. I do not want another first person or third person action game, the industry quite frankly is saturated with them.. I doubt Metroid isn't going to do anything different here to some how make it better.. What the petition should be FOR is releasing another 2d metroidvania game DAMNIT.. I mean how fucking deaf are these developers when we have been having a massive install base clamoring for years for a sequel to some of the greatest 2d classics out there.. Be it a Metroid game, castlevania game or even a Megaman game.. They must be completely deaf to the massively successful kick starters to things like the Mighty Number 9, or the Castlevania kickstarter by the original creator of Castlevania..

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44577 Posts

Meh, if they cancelled it they wouldn't replace it with anything, at this point I'm willing to just take what they offer.

Also, the game wouldn't even have shown at all if most the game hadn't already been developed, and they've a grasp of how the final game would look and play like. Basically, they're too far in to reverse course now, so change not gonna happen. Besides, a new game would require a new budget and money has already been doled out for this.

So, I guess what I'm saying is if you want this game cancelled, you'll need to start a Kickstarter to raise $200 million in 30 days to pay them not to make it and make something else instead.

I mean, god luck, Shenmue had some gaming journalist standing up in the middle of Sony's E3 presentation to let the world know he came in his pants and that's only going to raise a small fraction of that money.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@magicalclick said:

???? Did I missed something??? Why they want to cancel it????

Yeah! I'm in the dark too on this one and I'm wondering what the hell is going on. Why cancel?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GarGx1
@nyadc said:
@GarGx1 said:

Why does everyone result to calling things like this entitlement, it's really not. Things like this taking place lead to the downfall and ruined reputation of quality franchises, not to mention the lack of funding available for something that's actually good. Look at Sonic for crying out loud, it was such a fantastic franchise and was ruined by shovelware games being pushed out left and right, which not only irreparably damaged Sega and Sonic's reputation, but also took tens to hundreds of millions of dollars away from what could be quality games. Look at Shenmue 3 for example, a franchise forced through crowdfunding to even exist, Sega could have funded it probably ten times over with all the money they've pissed away on these throwaway games...

They're a detriment to not only the franchise for which they originate, but also the company as a whole and other projects...

I did actually read through some of the petition comments and the majority that I read came down to "I think this is shit and I think it should be cancelled", I'm sorry but that's entitlement.

You know the best way to go with this? If you don't like it don't buy it. Let Nintendo lose a ton of money on this game, which they will if it's crap. If they don't lose money then there were more than enough people wanting the game, to justify it's existence. It's not for you, me or anyone else outside of Nintendo and the development team to decide if it should be made or not.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18253 Posts

Yeah, because this always work...also, WTF with this? how would this help to anyone in any form?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56150 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@nyadc said:
@GarGx1 said:

I did actually read through some of the petition comments and the majority that I read came down to "I think this is shit and I think it should be cancelled", I'm sorry but that's entitlement.

You know the best way to go with this, if you don't like it? Don't buy it. Let Nintendo lose a ton of money on this game, which they will if it's crap. If they don't lose money then there were more than enough people wanting the game, to justify it's existence. It's not for you, me or anyone else outside of Nintendo and the development team to decide if it should be made or not.

I didn't get the chance to read the comments until now. The problem is, Nintendo wasn't thinking on doing a console to begin with, no one ask a 3DS version, they ask a console version so Nintendo was yet again unprepared to do a console. I'm just going to assume that Nintendo is still burn from Other M [to tell the truth, I'm one of the few who wasn't mad about Other M, Team Ninja did there best with Other M so I was cool with it] so they thought they tried it with another approach, a handheld and not on a console. I actually ask for a Metroid 3DS in a long run so this doesn't bother me.

Edit: Nintendo already stated that starting a new Metroid Prime on Wii U would take 3 or so more years and starting a new one would be futiled when the new console is coming soon. Again, Nintendo didn't plain ahead as always which is why everyone is piss-off.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23  Edited By k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I included a Youtube link to the game trailer for who didn't see it before.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

To me, it looks like a painfully generic game with the name Metroid slapped on it.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41539 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

This, plus inherently stupid as cancelling the game costs a lot of money and the borderline dictatorial ideologies I've seen out of vocal Metroid fans who think that no other developer who isn't Retro Studios can handle Metroid and doing nothing but the franchise. This just made the Sonic fandom look like saints by comparison.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1071 Posts

Lol. A petition to cancel a game.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

That's a first. I heard of petitions to port a game, to localize a game, to make a game, but to cancel a game?

LOL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10
deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Gamers can have all the entitlement they want. I guess people forget who gives these game developers/publishers their money. Whatever the consumer wants should come first.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Silly internet petitions

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#30  Edited By quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Wow. Just don't buy the game if you don't like it.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GarGx1

@blessedbyhorus: It's entirely Nintendo's decision, they own the i.p. I'll say it again, if you don't like it, don't buy it, that is your way of telling Nintendo (and any other developer/publisher) your opinion of their creations.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#32 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Signed. Can't have crap like this taint the series.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Understandable the game looks like shit, but it would be easier to just dont buy the game and let Nintendo learn from it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

People could just, you know, not buy it

Companies notice when their product doesn't sell

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

@meathead373 said:

theres idiots out there who are gonan buy it, kids see it looks like titanfall + destiny and its FPS on there lil gameboy thing there gonna buy it and has metroids name they will buy there stupid and dunno that its crap

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Lol that's hilarious.

I can't say I want it but if it's arleady being made, why cancel it now.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

And I continued to be surprised.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Lol that's hilarious.

They'd probably save more money cancelling the game than getting it out in the stores only to see it flop massively. In a way, the fans are doing them a favor.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Vote with your wallet, let nintendo waste their time and money while you keep your money for something better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@GarGx1 said:

@blessedbyhorus: It's entirely Nintendo's decision, they own the i.p. I'll say it again, if you don't like it, don't buy it, that is your way of telling Nintendo (and any other developer/publisher) your opinion of their creations.

I agree that the people signing the petition are a bunch of whiney b*tches and it would be better if they dont buy the game. But my main point is that gamers can have all the entitlement they want, addressing that point in the post I replied. Nintendo owns the IP? Yeah, but its because of us that their IPs are successful and continue to be made...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nintendoboy16

@Kjranu said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Lol that's hilarious.

They'd probably save more money cancelling the game than getting it out in the stores only to see it flop massively. In a way, the fans are doing them a favor.

Uh, no. Last I checked, cancelling games COST even more, so if they think by cancelling the game they're gonna get the Metroid game they want. They've got another thing coming and if anything, will make Nintendo think nobody wants a Metroid game anymore.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@Kjranu said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Lol that's hilarious.

Uh, no. Last I checked, cancelling games COST even more, so if they think by cancelling the game they're gonna get the Metroid game they want. They've got another thing coming and if anything, will make Nintendo think nobody wants a Metroid game anymore.

Well let's just hope Nintendo doesn't have their head so far up their ass that if This game doesn't do well they'll feel people don't want another Metroid.

They have to know people want a real metroid game tho, I mean It's not like their fans haven't been vocal about this.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GarGx1

@blessedbyhorus: I totally get what you're saying but it's a catch 22. They can make games because their customers buy them, thus allowing them to make more games and so the wheel turns. If a company doesn't make money on a game because it's unpopular or just plain rubbish, they take a hit. One failed game will not kill Nintendo or Metroid (it may kill a smaller developer though) but it will give them pause for thought on how best to provide a better product to their consumers.

This is a different thing though, we have a bunch of people so caught up in what they think a certain i.p. should be, that they believe their opinion is overwhelming and everyone should also hate it. The only reason this game has Metroid attached to is because it's a recognised brand and it's being designed to fit in that universe. I'll bet this game makes a profit because more people buy it than hate on it. Just to add I'll not be one of those who buy it.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#44 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Such idiocy. The game looks like a joke, yes. But speak with your wallet and don't buy it like any sane consumer does.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

lol. game does look pathetic. no sure wtf is Nintendo thinking nowdays

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

People are fucking stupid.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@GarGx1 said:

@blessedbyhorus: I totally get what you're saying but it's a catch 22. They can make games because their customers buy them, thus allowing them to make more games and so the wheel turns. If a company doesn't make money on a game because it's unpopular or just plain rubbish, they take a hit. One failed game will not kill Nintendo or Metroid (it may kill a smaller developer though) but it will give them pause for thought on how best to provide a better product to their consumers.

This is a different thing though, we have a bunch of people so caught up in what they think a certain i.p. should be, that they believe their opinion is overwhelming and everyone should also hate it. The only reason this game has Metroid attached to is because it's a recognised brand and it's being designed to fit in that universe. I'll bet this game makes a profit because more people buy it than hate on it. Just to add I'll not be one of those who buy it.

You make good points.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nintendoboy16

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@Kjranu said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Lol that's hilarious.

Well let's just hope Nintendo doesn't have their head so far up their ass that if This game doesn't do well they'll feel people don't want another Metroid.

They have to know people want a real metroid game tho, I mean It's not like their fans haven't been vocal about this.

Unlikely. The ordeal with Other M really severely damaged the bridge between Nintendo and Metroid fans and it seems nothing's going to change unless Retro Studios announces they'll forgo any chance of doing something different than Metroid or Donkey Kong and do nothing but the former (knowing "fans" feelings of doing something other than Metroid; man I miss the days of Ninty fans being open with other devs doing stuff other than their IP's), I doubt I'll see it change.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#49 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Signed!

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#50  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14417 Posts

@ProtossX said:
@meathead373 said:

theres idiots out there who are gonan buy it, kids see it looks like titanfall + destiny and its FPS on there lil gameboy thing there gonna buy it and has metroids name they will buy there stupid and dunno that its crap

Don't do drugs kids, or you'll end up like this guy.