A criticism of PS3's current activity.

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

So Cows are in high spirit these days and think more highly of the platform. But whenever I see these hyped PS3 exclusives there is almost always a consistent trend, Sony got involved.

Sony financed, Sony published, Sony developed.

Now 1st party games are expected from any platform; but PS3 is taking the cake. This is a list of games posted in another thread, the green represents Sony's involvement in some way; either as publisher or developer.

GT5

Heavy Rain

Eight Days (in standby)

Getaway 3 (in standby)

The Agency

MAG

GOW 3

FFV13

Quantum Theory

Uncharted 2

Yakuza 3

Yakuza 4

White Knight Chronciles

White Knight Chronicles 2

Agent

The Last Guardian

ModNation Racers

Eyepet

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

Demon Souls

Afrika

L.A. Noire (no confirmed 360 port yet)

Panther501

Now Cows expect other people to recognise their increase in popularity and ability to compete, but how can I do that when it isn't standing on its own two feet? It's a mommy's boy, it should have left home by now but it is still highly reliant on its parent to fight on its behalf. I'm supposed to believe PS3's promised potential has come to fruition; while the vast majority of these titles only utilize PS3 because Sony made it happen.

Cows, when am I going to see a PS3 exclusive Cell utilizing lineup that hasn't got Sony's thumb in almost every pie? I cannot take PS3's current success seriously if it is being created almost entirely by Sony, not by the platforms own merit.

dual_boot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 dual_boot
Member since 2008 • 312 Posts

I think that's more of an appraisal. The PS3 is unique in that it has an excellent combination of 1st and 3rd party support now.

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
Games are games. I don't care if they are made by Sony or the weird kid who lives in my nextdoor neighbor's basement, so long as they're good.
TheCoreGamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheCoreGamer_
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts
teh halo 3 teh halo 3 odst teh halo reach teh microsoft pumps games like woahhhhhhhhhhh!!
emorainbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 emorainbo
Member since 2008 • 3067 Posts

I dont get what you are trying to say. Games are games it doesnt matter where they come from.

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
More Sony Published games means less of going multiplatform (FF13,DMC4)
bczigothigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bczigothigh
Member since 2008 • 146 Posts

3rd party exclusives are dying out this gen, Idon't see theproblem with Sony putting up the money and time to make sure they get great exclusive games on their machine, actually on the contrary I'm quite pleased with Sony putting out the effort.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AnnoyedDragon

Games are games. I don't care if they are made by Sony or the weird kid who lives in my nextdoor neighbor's basement, so long as they're good.pyromaniac223

Welcome to System Wars, people create loyalities to platforms and argue over them here.

Here what goes on behind the scenes matters, if I'm expected to recognise PS3's improvement in the market; why it has improved comes into question first.

mD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mD-
Member since 2005 • 4314 Posts

I don't understand what the problem is. If good games come out of it, so be it. Having great first party games and team dedicated to optimizing code for 3rd party developers + all the multiplatform games > Gears and Mass Effect (the Xbox's exclusives I like)

The 360 lacks major franchises (though, Forza 3 is coming soon and Splinter Cell is coming).

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
You have said this before. No one cares but you. I don't give a damn who makes the games as long as they are good. Iff anything its good for the consumer as they have a steady supply of games to look forward to.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

This is probably why we won't see an Indie Games section on the PS3. I don't think those Indie developers can survive on that platform because Sony might not back them up like how Sony back up only their own.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

Hypocrisy. 360 Does the same thing. They barely have any "exclusive" 3rd party support. Most of its exclusives are published by Microsoft as well.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheGrat1

This is probably why we won't see an Indie Games section on the PS3. I don't think those Indie developers can survive on that platform because Sony might not back them up like how Sony back up only their own.

gago-gago
They'll "back up" anybody bringing quality content to their platform. They published Heavenly Sword and LBP (and no, SCE owns niether Ninja Theory or Media Molecule). Both were made by small dev teams. They'll be more than happy to publish a good game as long as they get exclusive rights, its good business. In fact, they came out with a policy some months ago where they promised to pay for all development costs on self-published PSN games in exchange for exclusivity. If that is'nt indie friendly I don't know what is.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
If the results are good, I'm not too concerned about who opened their checkbook.
sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts
Ummmmm.....what's the big deal?
sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sakura_Ex

I think people on SW are starting to become crazy and this thread definitely proves that.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

from the jist of what im skinnig you arent pleased a company is sinking money into its console thats really strange.Who cares who the titles are made by so what its sony's console what do you expect them to sit with their thumb up their ass and sell units? i mean so what they are making great games its such a silly thing to critiscise Sony for making so many games they do want to sell their console dont they.

MS is no diffrent in paying 3rd parties like epic to do their work which isnt as cool imo cause imo a console should always have great first party support i mean look at Nintendo are you going to critiscise them for having most of their good exclusives made by their first party dev teams?

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AnnoyedDragon

Typical, peoples attitude shifts from being a Cow to just a typical consumer only looking for the best deal the moment their exclusive lineup is criticised. By all means if it is only about which platform offers the best deal, praise away. I'd wonder why these people were with PS3 prior to Sony's financial support, but never mind that.

Who my criticisms are aimed at is clear enough, the people who ignore where PS3s current success is coming from when performing the usual Cow activity. This criticism is aimed at PS3 fanboys, if you are only in it for the games the criticism shouldn't concern you.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts
[QUOTE="gago-gago"]

TheGrat1
They'll "back up" anybody bringing quality content to their platform. They published Heavenly Sword and LBP (and no, SCE owns niether Ninja Theory or Media Molecule). Both were made by small dev teams. They'll be more than happy to publish a good game as long as they get exclusive rights, its good business. In fact, they came out with a policy some months ago where they promised to pay for all development costs on self-published PSN games in exchange for exclusivity. If that is'nt indie friendly I don't know what is.

Oh yeah I remember they did promise that but has there been an increase of small independent developers taking the offer since? I would really want to see fun $1 dollar games like I Made A Game With Zombies In It on the PSN. Or do they just want small Indie devs to make big games like LBP and Heavenly Sword?
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Typical, peoples attitude shifts from being a Cow to just a typical consumer only looking for the best deal the moment their exclusive lineup is criticised. By all means if it is only about which platform offers the best deal, praise away. I'd wonder why these people were with PS3 prior to Sony's financial support, but never mind that.

Who my criticisms are aimed at is clear enough, the people who ignore where PS3s current success is coming from when performing the usual Cow activity. This criticism is aimed at PS3 fanboys, if you are only in it for the games the criticism shouldn't concern you.

AnnoyedDragon

All i get from that statement in my eyes in massive letters is Flaimbait for cows here come get some.Thats all i have really gotten from that statement its purely here and its purpose is to annoy them.Cows would prolly be a lot quieter like most fanboys if they werent baited all the time thats just being honest.

And to be honest most dev's would prolly be elsewhere touting their games especially Media Molecule for a start they would have been snapped up but afaik they went to sony first even though they thought Sony might think it was too over the top.

And a lot of them were independant but Sony offered them bigger budgets so they went there, as it stands to be honest many of them would still be developing smaller projects or snapped up by bigger ones if Sony didnt get them first its the way it works.

Tyrant156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Tyrant156
Member since 2004 • 737 Posts

AnnoyedDragon

Are you saying PS3s current success is coming from Sony investing in the product? Why is that a bad thing?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50563 Posts

Does it really matter? I only care about games, not how those games made it to the console. I don't see why anyone else would care either.

useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 useLOGIC
Member since 2006 • 2802 Posts

im pretty sure my very first post on these forums was about how sony's first + 2nd party would eventually get fired up and churn out quality stuff and amaze people, just like last gen

i has crystal ball.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RadecSupreme

[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

Tyrant156

Are you saying PS3s current success is coming from Sony investing in the product? Why is that a bad thing?

He is basically trying to say that Sony would not have any exclusives if they were not published or developed by them. Personally this is true but the 360 does the same so its hypocrisy. There really is no arguement or comparing here so this topic is insignificant to system wars if all 3 consoles have the majority of their exlcusives published by their creator.

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#26 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts

I cannot take PS3's current success seriously if it is being created almost entirely by Sony, not by the platforms own merit.

AnnoyedDragon

What about Nintendo? Nintendo Sucess is derived from well, its own sucess? Mario, Zelda, countless of first party games is what makes nintendo a choice for gamers forever, since the creation of the NES, nintedo.

To have a console, whose sucess is by their own merit proves that the maker of the console you bought is trying its best it can be! Its the strive to better themselves

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts

Good thing these can really be called exclusive unlike a certain competing console that loses on despicable bribe money only to have a superior version appear on PS3 first chance the contract runs out.

DeadMagazines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DeadMagazines
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
Games are games. I don't care if they are made by Sony or the weird kid who lives in my nextdoor neighbor's basement, so long as they're good.pyromaniac223
Then why do cows constantly whine about MS having more 3rd party exclusives? "games are games, doesn't matter where they come" ...another logic fail for cows
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheGrat1
[QUOTE="gago-gago"][QUOTE="TheGrat1"][QUOTE="gago-gago"]

Oh yeah I remember they did promise that but has there been an increase of small independent developers taking the offer since? I would really want to see fun $1 dollar games like I Made A Game With Zombies In It on the PSN. Or do they just want small Indie devs to make big games like LBP and Heavenly Sword?

Has there been an increase? I don't know. I don't pay attention to PSN games very closely. It's up to the dev to get it there. As to what SONY wants, i'm not in a posistion to give any indication beyond speculation.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AnnoyedDragon

All i get from that statement in my eyes in massive letters is Flaimbait for cows here come get some.Thats all i have really gotten from that statement its purely here and its purpose is to annoy them.Cows would prolly be a lot quieter like most fanboys if they werent baited all the time thats just being honest.

razgriz_101

It is a genuine criticism of PS3's lineup, pointing out the truth counts as flame bait now?

Fanboys attack and boast over other platforms, using their high utilizing exclusive line up as ammo when declaring their superiority. That the vast majority of this lineup was only made possible through 1st party support doesn't seem to enter the conversation.

Some even go as far as to use these Sony funded titles to insult almost every developer out there, calling then stupid and lazy because they struggle to utilize PS3 were as these titles do not, never mind they are receiving significant support compared to what the 3rd party get. Some even use these titles as evidence that developers like developing on the PS3, which makes pointing out they are 1st party funded and supported a very legitimate point.

This isn't flame bait, it is the inconvenient truth the fanboys often fail to recognise.

Sooo.. you are criticizing Sony for giving an excellent gaming support for their console?..The heck?..You serious?..Desmonic

No, read again.

I am criticising the fanboy Cows for failing/refusing to recognise most of PS3's current success comes from 1st party activity, they expect us to recognise the improvement in PS3s condition while ignoring that this improvement is artificial. PS3 isn't more success because PS3 is doing better, it is because Sony is frequently dipping into their own pockets to fill its exclusive lineup.

heybooboo19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 heybooboo19
Member since 2009 • 428 Posts
Which console is justifying itself predominantly from independent 3rd party development? The only system that relies heavily on 3rd parties and lacks when there isn't an influx of titles from 3rd party coming down the pipeline structures contracts. The entire division is a financial incentive. Hardly based on its own merit.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#32 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I don't see a problem here.
RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RadecSupreme

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

AnnoyedDragon

It is a genuine criticism of PS3's lineup, pointing out the truth counts as flame bait now?

Fanboys attack and boast over other platforms, using their high utilizing exclusive line up as ammo when declaring their superiority. That the vast majority of this lineup was only made possible through 1st party support doesn't seem to enter the conversation.

Some even go as far as to use these Sony funded titles to insult almost every developer out there, calling then stupid and lazy because they struggle to utilize PS3 were as these titles do not, never mind they are receiving significant support compared to what the 3rd party get. Some even use these titles as evidence that developers like developing on the PS3, which makes pointing out they are 1st party funded and supported a very legitimate point.

This isn't flame bait, it is the inconvenient truth the fanboys often fail to recognise.

I already defeated your purpose. But you seem to ignore me because if you have nothing to argue hermit.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chutebox

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

AnnoyedDragon

I guess everyone in this thread is a fanboy but you, as no one agrees with you.

cb_au

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cb_au
Member since 2009 • 219 Posts
You play games, not it`s credits.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Rofl so the PS3 sucks cause Sony makes too many awesome games LOL

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

I dont get what you are trying to say. Games are games it doesnt matter where they come from.

emorainbo
That's true. As long as they are good games, I don't really care who makes them. If a difference company besides Naughty Dog made Uncharted 2 and it turned out exactly how it looks and plays today, would anyone really care? No. Sony has already made a lot of 1st party games, which is why the PS2 had so many exclusives. Same thing with Nintendo. All their Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, Yoshi, Wario, etc.. games are only in Nintendo's systems and most of them are excellent. This gen, Microsoft has relied more on 3rd party games, and purchased exclusives then their own developed titles. Many of these games were outstanding as well. It didn't matter if they came from M$, Bungie, Lionhead Studio or Rockstar Games.
fire-dragon-90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fire-dragon-90
Member since 2009 • 700 Posts

Games are games.. dont give me your lame excuses.. go play on your beta testing machine and let us play our GOTY games ;)

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

AnnoyedDragon
That's pretty much it. Most gamers are in it for the games. Maybe you were aiming the criticism are people who bought the PS3 for Blu-Ray movies. Or people who don't own any game console, but come on here to criticize anyways. I don't know. Your rant is a bit confusing.
killa4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 killa4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 3849 Posts
exactly, this is just a reaaaaly but attempt to rain the cows parade, like really bad
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AnnoyedDragon

RadecSupreme: I already defeated your purpose. But you seem to ignore me because if you have nothing to argue hermit.

I am not a lemming, maybe if I was you pointing out Microsoft's similar activity would matter to me.

Chutebox

Generally when someone wishes to discredit someones position they make up a negative attitude and associate it with that person to encourage dislike of them, like you just did now.

If you are going to criticise me do so with what I have actually said, not what you would like me to say so that it is easier for you to simply dismiss what I said. I've already comment on the people disagreeing, I take no issue with the people only in this for the games, clearly I have said I'm targeting the superiority complex Cows.

Are you a Cow with a superiority complex? No? Then I am not talking about you.

The problem is the people taking issue with this thread are not the ones being targeted in the OP.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#42 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Real Third Party exclusives are almost none existenton consoles except for the Wii so I don't see a big deal.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17427 Posts
I agree with TC in that cows say game A proves PS3 superiority, or game b cant be done on 360., and i think TC is trying to say that if sony, in some way, shape, or form, is involved with the development (other than simply publishing it) then its kind of a shallow victory if other devs cant replicated because they dont have help from sony. Also, Using first party game devs as grounds to attack other (and well respected) devs with the "lazy devs" comment is just childish IMO. Its not really fair to say that if the first parties have hands on funding and help from sony, while other devs are on a budget,and subject to time, and manpower constraints from a publisher. Its just insulting to me. That said, as a PS3 owner, it really doesnt matter to me as long as i have great games to play..............then again, im not a rabid PS3 fanboy constantly attacking people and spreading crud soooo.........................
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chutebox

RadecSupreme: I already defeated your purpose. But you seem to ignore me because if you have nothing to argue hermit.

I am not a lemming, maybe if I was you pointing out Microsoft's similar activity would matter to me.

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

AnnoyedDragon

Generally when someone wishes to discredit someones position they make up a negative attitude and associate it with that person to encourage dislike of them, like you just did now.

If you are going to criticise me do so with what I have actually said, not what you would like me to say so that it is easier for you to simply dismiss what I said. I've already comment on the people disagreeing, I take no issue with the people only in this for the games, clearly I have said I'm targeting the superiority complex Cows.

Are you a Cow with a superiority complex? No? Then I am not talking about you.

The problem is the people taking issue with this thread are not the ones being targeted in the OP.

Why would anyone care how good games got good, that's what I'm not understanding. You say this is towards cows, but why not extend that towards sheep since they are in the same boat you are placing cows into.
sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sakura_Ex

AnnoyedDragon
Are you ok?
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

lol wut?

Sony backing up their console heavily is a good thing.

Tyrant156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tyrant156
Member since 2004 • 737 Posts

I agree with TC in that cows say game A proves PS3 superiority, or game b cant be done on 360., and i think TC is trying to say that if sony, in some way, shape, or form, is involved with the development (other than simply publishing it) then its kind of a shallow victory if other devs cant replicated because they dont have help from sony. Also, Using first party game devs as grounds to attack other (and well respected) devs with the "lazy devs" comment is just childish IMO. Its not really fair to say that if the first parties have hands on funding and help from sony, while other devs are on a budget,and subject to time, and manpower constraints from a publisher. Its just insulting to me. That said, as a PS3 owner, it really doesnt matter to me as long as i have great games to play..............then again, im not a rabid PS3 fanboy constantly attacking people and spreading crud soooo.........................navyguy21

Well of course a game with a bigger budget will produce better results than one with less funds but that shouldnt take away from the victory of a well made game from Sony. I'm sure the production quality of FF13 well be great because of the resources that square enix provides for the game. Insomniac offers support to help developers program their games on the PS3 for free. http://nocturnal.insomniacgames.com/index.php/Main_Page Certain devs do get lazy when it comes to the PS3, Capcom especially since they insist on continuing using these 5 gig installs instead of re writing the code on the disc which takes more time to do but they rather just stick with the mandatory installs.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheGrat1

I think people on SW are starting to become crazy and this thread definitely proves that.

sakura_Ex
[QUOTE="sakura_Ex"][QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

Are you ok?

lulzbuckets!
Irick_cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Irick_cb
Member since 2009 • 1691 Posts

Look, we get it, you don't like the PS3.

It really doesn't mater how shakey your reasoning is, you are allowed your own opinion.

That being said you are insaine, the games are great and the consumer who chose the PS3 got a great lineup.

You argue that any seen improvement is just constructed by sony to make us feel happy and good, like the world is not going to end.

Well i don't see flames just yet, i see fields of green, red roses too.

Sony dropped their price down to the mythical $299, has a great lineup, and is improving their user experiance steadily.

So while your opinion is your own, i could not disagree more.

< 3

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#50 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

Industries change; in particular, video gaming relies on change as much as (or more than) tradition. Third party console exclusives are a dying breed; that is simply one of the effects of higher budgets, higher standards, more competition and so forth. In another generation or two, they will be extinct; it is just not profitable enough to limit one's product to a smaller audience.

If anything, Sony and Nintendo could be praised for their fantastic first party products; Sony in particular is stepping up their game. Criticizing them for not being narrow-minded and reliant on unloyal developers who will bring their business elsewhere as soon as it is more profiitable is just not a smart business decision, I think.