8 most powerful game studios in the world, decided by Gamepro

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sdu_1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sdu_1111
Member since 2007 • 474 Posts
  • Epic Games
  • Bungie
  • Rockstar North
  • Maxis Software
  • EA Tiburon
  • Sony Computer Entertainment
  • Blizzard Entertainment
  • Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/08/07/the-eight-most-powerful-game-studios-in-the-world-as-decided-by-gamepro/

I feel that maxis should not be in the list ..

SpinoRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SpinoRaptor
Member since 2006 • 2419 Posts
Never heard of Maxis.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

Never heard of Maxis.SpinoRaptor

The Sims ... and all "SIM" games?....

And now Spore ofc.

SpinoRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SpinoRaptor
Member since 2006 • 2419 Posts

[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor"]Never heard of Maxis.PC360Wii

And now Spore ofc.

Oh ok. I never played the Sims.

Killer2401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Killer2401
Member since 2006 • 3431 Posts
Bungie #2. Those guys are great.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
No Valve? They pretty much dominate the DLC market...
Oh well.
Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
It's a pretty good list, imo. No surprises here.
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts
No love for Capcom or Valve?
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Epic and Bungie = lulz

Activision should be up there for sure, not sure what other but Epic and Bungie's games sell and get as much public attention as any of those owned by the other companies on the list. Maxis should definitely be on there, the Sims is MASSIVE.

chazasul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 chazasul
Member since 2003 • 3852 Posts

Epic and Bungie = lulz

Activision should be up there for sure, not sure what other but Epic and Bungie's games sell and get as much public attention as any of those owned by the other companies on the list. Maxis should definitely be on there, the Sims is MASSIVE.

bobbetybob

Isn't the original Sims the number one selling game of all time?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50604 Posts
No SE...
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Bungie #2. Those guys are great.Killer2401

There no order to the list

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bobbetybob
[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]

Epic and Bungie = lulz

chazasul

Yes I think so, as a franchise it's sold a load as well but Mario and Pokemon are beating it.

And Chutebox I'll take your suggestion and put it into my other spot to replace Epic/Bungie, I forgot about SE,Activision + SE should be on there

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Square Enix
Valve
Ubisoft
Capcom

????

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 excelR83
Member since 2003 • 2932 Posts

Sounds about right. Surprising not to see any Japanese companies there besides Nintendo. No Konami, Capcom, Tecmo, Namco... my how things change.

EA Tiburon is the EA sports branch, right? I know they do Madden, but do they do NHL/NBA/MLB/FIFA etc? Blizzard and RockStar definitely deserve to be on there, Blizzard is the most consistently awesome company in the history of the biz and RockStar is responsible for popularizing sandbox games. Even their decent games like Red Dead Revolver kick a lot of games in the ass, and GTA, Bully, the Warriors... sublime. I hope they tackle another old movie or something like The Warriors, that game was a freaking awesome beat 'em up.

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 excelR83
[QUOTE="chazasul"][QUOTE="bobbetybob"]

Epic and Bungie = lulz

bobbetybob

Yes I think so, as a franchise it's sold a load as well but Mario and Pokemon are beating it.

And Chutebox I'll take your suggestion and put it into my other spot to replace Epic/Bungie, I forgot about SE,Activision + SE should be on there

Mario and Pokemon are beating everything, they literally have 50 games between them just this gen. It's ridiculous. It's embarrassing what a cash-in the DS and the Wii are.

Activision is a publisher. If the list was about publishers and not the actual game studios (regardless of any semantics about EA actually being a game studio because they bought blah blah blah), it would be a short list: EA and Activision. Period.

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 excelR83

Epic and Bungie = lulz

bobbetybob

No? They are a publisher. If this was about publishers Maxis would not be on there, it would be EA. Blizzard would not be on there, it would be Activision. They are talking the actual studios that make the games, ie Bungie, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Team Ninja, 2K Boston...

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts
Should be Valve instead of Epic. But then again, who cares? Epic has Gears of War, and Valve has a distribution service that has 15 million subscribers, Valve would take that over another triple A franchise any day of the week.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
How are Epic and Bungie more powerful than Valve?
Kratos_OMEGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Kratos_OMEGA
Member since 2007 • 2872 Posts

Sounds about right. Surprising not to see any Japanese companies there besides Nintendo. No Konami, Capcom, Tecmo, Namco... my how things change.

EA Tiburon is the EA sports branch, right? I know they do Madden, but do they do NHL/NBA/MLB/FIFA etc? Blizzard and RockStar definitely deserve to be on there, Blizzard is the most consistently awesome company in the history of the biz and RockStar is responsible for popularizing sandbox games. Even their decent games like Red Dead Revolver kick a lot of games in the ass, and GTA, Bully, the Warriors... sublime. I hope they tackle another old movie or something like The Warriors, that game was a freaking awesome beat 'em up.

excelR83

The only other JPN companies that would come close are SE....MAYBE capcom although i would say not. Konami and Tecmo aren't that big at all. Tecmo wouldn't even be in the top 15.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bobbetybob
[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]

Epic and Bungie = lulz

excelR83

No? They are a publisher. If this was about publishers Maxis would not be on there, it would be EA. Blizzard would not be on there, it would be Activision. They are talking the actual studios that make the games, ie Bungie, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Team Ninja, 2K Boston...

Yeah good point I wasn't thinking when I wrote that. Valve or one of the Ubisoft studios should probably be up there then.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

How are Epic and Bungie more powerful than Valve?Hexagon_777

When Bungie speaks the world looks on. When Valve speaks only the hardcore care to pay attention.

If you're thinking who makes better games, then making better games does not necessarily correlate to being more powerful.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Yeah good point I wasn't thinking when I wrote that. Valve or one of the Ubisoft studios should probably be up there then.

bobbetybob

Ubi Montreal could be up there, and despite being my most revered developer, I'm not sure if they have the pulling power these other devs have.

They seem to live on another planet altogether, and just bring the goods whenever they're ready.

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts

Epic does belong on that list. Unreal Engine anyone ?

As for Bungie...meh, they made a couple of great games but imo they definitely shouldn't be there.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

I feel that maxis should not be in the list ..

sdu_1111

well they did create one of the best selling franchise of all time The Sims.

also creating probably the most ambitious games of all time, Spore.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

As for Bungie...meh, they made a couple of great games but imo they definitely shouldn't be there.

Tykain

attempting to ignore bungie's impact on the industry? because that's what power is.

they have a lot of it. when they release a game, the world knows.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor"]Never heard of Maxis.PC360Wii

And now Spore ofc.

and lets not forget the glorious Sim City games before any of those. and all the similar games they've made.
Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
[QUOTE="Tykain"]

Dreams-Visions

attempting to ignore bungie's impact on the industry? because that's what power is.

they have a lot of it. when they release a game, the world knows.

Yes, the world knows. Thanks to Microsoft massively advertising Halo. If it wasn't for M$, Halo would be only known to hardcore gamers much like Half Life.

Imo, Square-Enix would make more sense on that list than Bungie. And Valve even more so.

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

Should be Valve instead of Epic. But then again, who cares? Epic has Gears of War, and Valve has a distribution service that has 15 million subscribers, Valve would take that over another triple A franchise any day of the week.Noldorin2646

And Epic has the unreal engine that pretty much every Dev is licensing. o.0 If anything Valve should bump bungie off, I'm not sure how there up there, they made an incredible game series yes..but i don't see how it makes them that good. o.0 Valve did Half life and much more.

POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
I thinkthat Nintendo Entertainment Research and Development should be higher. N.E.R.D. is #1!!!
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]How are Epic and Bungie more powerful than Valve?FrozenLiquid

When Bungie speaks the world looks on. When Valve speaks only the hardcore care to pay attention.

If you're thinking who makes better games, then making better games does not necessarily correlate to being more powerful.

I am also thinking of the Source Engine and Steam with its 15 million or so users. Have we seen Bungie display its power without Microsoft behind them?
Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts

And Epic has the unreal engine that pretty much every Dev is licensing. o.0 If anything Valve should bump bungie off, I'm not sure how there up there, they made an incredible game series yes..but i don't see how it makes them that good. o.0 Valve did Half life and much more.

CreepyBacon

Bungie commands the kind of media attention and fan following that rivals Blizzard and Valve with only its games, not services like WoW and Steam. Of course, some of that is Microsoft propping it up, but we haven't seen a decline in interest since the split.

As for Epic, the UT franchise is on life support after UT 3. Ironically, releasing the game on Steam has steadily helped it limping along. Sure, developing the Unreal Engine 3 solidified Epic's credibility, but even with that considered, basing on games solely, that doesn't make the studio superior to Valve, let alone the giant behemoth that is Steam

Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts
[QUOTE="CreepyBacon"]

Noldorin2646

Bungie commands the kind of media attention and fan following that rivals Blizzard and Valve with only its games, not services like WoW and Steam. Of course, some of that is Microsoft propping it up, but we haven't seen a decline in interest since the split.

As for Epic, the UT franchise is on life support after UT 3. Ironically, releasing the game on Steam has steadily helped it limping along. Sure, developing the Unreal Engine 3 solidified Epic's credibility, but even with that considered, basing on games solely, that doesn't make the studio superior to Valve, let alone the giant behemoth that is Steam

Creepy is right, Epic deserves a spot on that list more than Bungie. Lets face it Bungie has only made 3 games in the past two gens and they dont even own the rights to those games. If Bungie was left to its self without the Halo franchise or MS spending huge amounts of money publicising Bungie's games they would not command a huge media attention.

This list is about powerful studious and with no huge franchise behind their name I dont think Bungie deserves to be in that list. As for Epic altho their UT franchise is not what it used to be, they still have that franchise and Gears and compared to Bungie, which has none worth mentioning, that still puts them ahead. When you add the fact that they sell their engine to a lot of other game dev, Epic is a very powerful studio.

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts
[QUOTE="PC360Wii"]

[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor"]Never heard of Maxis.SpinoRaptor

And now Spore ofc.

Oh ok. I never played the Sims.

noob

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

No? They are a publisher. If this was about publishers Maxis would not be on there, it would be EA.Blizzard would not be on there, it would be Activision. They are talking the actual studios that make the games, ie Bungie, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Team Ninja, 2K Boston...

excelR83

Actualy,VIVENDI is publisher of blizzard's games and activision is both developer and publisher

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#36 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
I have to disagree with Epic. Even when their games were fun to me they were still not that big or that great. Where is Activision? Hell even Capcom or Konami would be better than Epic.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Yeah they pretty much hit the nail on the head with that list.
Seraphimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Seraphimon
Member since 2003 • 89 Posts

It seems kinda stupid to have SCE on there as a developer, when they're the umbrella over multiple development teams/studios. SCE basically refers to Sony internal studios, American, Japanese and European, all under one.

If that's the case, then Nintendo might as well just be listed as Nintendo, dropping the R&D bs. No other company in the industry has as many surefire hits created internally.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hexagon_777
[QUOTE="excelR83"]

No? They are a publisher. If this was about publishers Maxis would not be on there, it would be EA.Blizzard would not be on there, it would be Activision. They are talking the actual studios that make the games, ie Bungie, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Team Ninja, 2K Boston...

Lidve

Actualy,VIVENDI is publisher of blizzard's games and activision is both developer and publisher

Activision belongs to Vivendi.
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
add intel to that now that they are making soft ware games. Soe is still has sony backing them dispite all there bad games they have made. They will make a winner some time.
sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts

[QUOTE="Noldorin2646"]Should be Valve instead of Epic. But then again, who cares? Epic has Gears of War, and Valve has a distribution service that has 15 million subscribers, Valve would take that over another triple A franchise any day of the week.CreepyBacon

Halo isn't their only game series...

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts

No Valve? They pretty much dominate the DLC market...
Oh well.Doom_HellKnight

i was also surprised

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
Why no Konami ? MGS4 is the definitive game of this gen and it will be fondly looked back on just like we look back to FF7, SM64 etc
beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts

hmm thought capcom would be on list o wells

presides that not too shabby of a list

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
[QUOTE="Lidve"][QUOTE="excelR83"]

Hexagon_777

Actually, I think they merged, which is different from acquired.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Hexagon_777
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="Lidve"][QUOTE="excelR83"]

Zhengi

You are lying! :cry:

Here's proof. :P
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
[QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="Lidve"][QUOTE="excelR83"]

Hexagon_777

You are lying! :cry:

Here's proof. :P

So Vivendi is the majority shareholder at 52%? Interesting.

Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts
Maxis is over Square enix?
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#50 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
Valve's absence is surprising, as well as Epic's presence. Not a bad list though.