75% Of Gamers Say That Graphics Matter When Buying A Game

• 70 results
#1 Posted by vickissv2 (1743 posts) -

Full Article: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/75-Gamers-Say-Graphics-Do-Matter-Purchasing-Game-64659.html

"As much as it's touted throughout gaming communities that gameplay is king (and it is) graphics still matter quite a bit when making a decision on whether or not a game is worth buying. In fact, 75% of gamers feel that graphics do play a part in their decision to purchase a new title.

According to a new Consumer Electronics Association market research survey from the membership section, we learn a ton of new details about playing and buying habits of the core gaming audience, as well as some bits about mobile gaming.

Unsurprisingly enough, graphics still play a pretty big part in purchasing titles for home consoles, but game quality still comes out as king with 89% of gamers saying that a game has to be quality-made to get them to make the dive. 79% responded that they would purchase a game based on the price of the game, showing that some games could make or break their presence on the market based on price (the first thing that comes to mind is a lot of gamers may be purchase-reticent about Battlefield: Hardlineif it carries a $60 price point since there's a lot of chatter from the community that the game feels like a Battlefield 4 expansion)."

#2 Edited by Wasdie (49561 posts) -

Of course they do. Nobody wants to play an ugly game.

There is a difference between a game with a simple art style and a straight up ugly game.

#3 Posted by inb4uall (5297 posts) -

Go back to endless backlog where you belong wasdie.

#4 Posted by BldgIrsh (1349 posts) -

When it was ps3/360 the numbers would've been completely different.

Battlefield: Hardline is a reskinned BF4. It could've been made for free if mod support was enabled, but EA seeks profit.

#5 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1034 posts) -

Look everyone, statistics. Not necessarily disagreeing. Just saying.

#6 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (4045 posts) -

75% of gamers are idiots

#7 Posted by vickissv2 (1743 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

When it was ps3/360 the numbers would've been completely different.

Battlefield: Hardline is a reskinned BF4. It could've been made for free if mod support was enabled, but EA seeks profit.

Absolutely. When it was SNES/Genesis it wouldn't have been much different either , and graphics were discussed. I specifically think graphics become even more important when comparing the same game or different platforms , because then the gameplay is irrelevant because the primary focus/difference is graphics

#8 Posted by Gue1 (9449 posts) -

graphics > gameplay

#9 Posted by RR360DD (11537 posts) -

Of course graphics matter.

What doesn't matter though are the negligible differences between multiplats that digital foundry points out.

#10 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (4045 posts) -

@Gue1: not sure if serious...

LttP is one of the top 10 games of all time. As is Super Metroid. Those are both sprite based.

#11 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4539 posts) -

Yeah, 99% of the time I'm going to want the game to be visually appealing. Not necessarily from a technical standpoint, but just easy on the eyes overall.

That said, I can look past some shitty graphics to enjoy a good game but I won't play a shit game just because it has great graphics.

#12 Posted by blackace (20082 posts) -

75% of gamers are idiots

Especially the ones on CinemaBlend.

#13 Posted by vickissv2 (1743 posts) -

@blackace said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

75% of gamers are idiots

Especially the ones on CinemaBlend.

Actually the ones on CinemaBlend are hardcore Sony Fanboys, especially William Usher....

#14 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3396 posts) -

Avoiding a game because it's not pretty enough. Cool.

#15 Posted by vickissv2 (1743 posts) -

No , you just have to pick the platform it looks best on.

#16 Posted by cainetao11 (16645 posts) -

We are a "how does it look?" society. That doesn't surprise me.

#17 Posted by cainetao11 (16645 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

No , you just have to pick the platform it looks best on.

Then PC is best, got it.

#18 Posted by StormyJoe (4764 posts) -

@vickissv2: There was a ton of interesting data in that article. Why did you only mention graphics?

#19 Posted by faizan_faizan (7846 posts) -

They do matter, to an extent, so they aren't wrong.

#20 Edited by 2Chalupas (5001 posts) -

Graphics are just one component.

If graphics weren't important, we'd all still be playing on our SNES.

That being said, gameplay is supposed to advance as well. It was a shame last gen it was so much about streaming things down, and making them "easily accessible". That held back some games I think.

#21 Edited by KungfuKitten (20785 posts) -

Well duh. If you launch BF4 and get a black screen, you are not happy.
And 'play a part in their decision' is absolutely not the same thing as 'matter quite a bit'. The importance is not measured. Just the awareness.

#22 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

They do matter, right after gameplay and fun.

#23 Posted by BldgIrsh (1349 posts) -

Well duh. If you launch BF4 and get a black screen, you are not happy.

Holy hell was that annoying... two weeks of this.

#24 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5669 posts) -

Going by the number of people on here who carry on about the graphical differences between PS4 & XB1 games, this doesn't surprise me.

#25 Posted by aroxx_ab (9221 posts) -

With fun gameplay graphic dont matter, look at games like Minecraft and Terraria...

#26 Posted by darkangel115 (1485 posts) -

I guess the 42 million people who purchased minecraft didn't get a say in this poll?

#27 Posted by edwardecl (2024 posts) -

Graphics enhance the gameplay in a lot of cases so it does matter.

#28 Edited by clr84651 (5352 posts) -

Gameplay & graphics together make a game. Of course they matter. Did you know good health matters to people who want to be happy?! Duh!

#29 Posted by DefconRave (550 posts) -

Artstyle > Technical Visuals imo. I still think FFIX is 1 of the best looking games cos of the fantastic artstyle/level of detail.

#30 Edited by GreySeal9 (24017 posts) -

Video games are a visual medium, so there's nothing wrong with giving graphics high priority. I think the whole "graphics don't matter" mindset is weird.

What I don't agree with is the idea that the most powerful/latest tech is all that matters when it comes to good visuals. Some games on the SNES still look really freaking good.

#31 Posted by GreySeal9 (24017 posts) -

Artstyle > Technical Visuals imo. I still think FFIX is 1 of the best looking games cos of the fantastic artstyle/level of detail.

While the vast majority of PS1 games look like ass, FFVIII and FFIX still look amazing and even FFVII looks pretty good minus the terrible looking character models. Dat prerendered art is timeless.

#32 Edited by Speak_Low (883 posts) -

The ones who scoff at these results are actually part of the 75% and forget what they type here all the time

Just this past E3 it's all about how good something looked, and most of the anticipation came from seeing how much of a significant graphical upgrade these next-gen visuals would achieve. If AC: Unity, The Division, Zelda U, The Order, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne and all of those other games had identical PS360Wii or even PS2/GCN/Xbox graphics, I doubt you'd be happy - I don't care how much "art style" is packed into every nook and cranny - you'd be disappointed (and even a little angry) at the industry for not improving these video games with the available technology given to them. You have expectations just like the 75% - at least they have an excuse since many of them are from the casual/mainstream spectrum who obsess less about resolution on message boards and just want the best looking game for their $60.

And please don't tell me (those who claim you don't care about graphics) you opt for PC "Low Settings" when your computer can handle High/Ultra for certain games. Of course you push those sliders all the way as far as it can go. When you have options, you consciously go for the best you can get.

#33 Posted by Vatusus (4366 posts) -

Off course they matter. They always have. Now being the number 1 priority is a all another discussion. I remember buying Killzone 2 mainly for graphics but not only because of them. I'll be buying The Order because of graphics AND artsyle. The gameplay might not be anything original but it seems good enough

#34 Posted by foxhound_fox (87396 posts) -

"Graphics" can mean a lot of things:

• Performance/framerate
  • Fidelity/detail/resolution
  • Art style/lack of one

To me, there are two aspects of graphics that matter quite a bit. The other one, I honestly couldn't care less about if the other two are front and center.

#35 Edited by GreySeal9 (24017 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

Off course they matter. They always have. Now being the number 1 priority is a all another discussion. I remember buying Killzone 2 mainly for graphics but not only because of them. I'll be buying The Order because of graphics AND artsyle. The gameplay might not be anything original but it seems good enough

That can backfire tho.

Killzone: Shadowfall is immensely gorgeous and one might be tempted to buy it for that reason, but the game is so boring it hurts.

#36 Posted by Bigboi500 (29197 posts) -

Gamers have always been graphics hoes. Suddenly lemmings are acting like they're not important to them. Go figure...

#37 Edited by Minishdriveby (9641 posts) -

Of course they are. Aesthetics have a lot of sway. It's one of the first things that can be judged when looking at a game. You can't look at complex game systems when looking at screenshots. If a game looks interesting through a screenshot then it's based on the aesthetics.

#38 Posted by Sword-Demon (6946 posts) -

Of course they matter, I don't think anyone is going to debate that.

They just don't matter as much as other elements like gameplay.

#39 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (391 posts) -

No one wants a game that looks like poop. That being said, crying about only graphics will have developers pump out beautiful games that have absolutely no substance.

#40 Edited by NFJSupreme (5131 posts) -

this is true. Till this day I still have people who want to get an xbone (nothing wrong with that btw) bring Ryse and how awesome it looks. I just shake my head. Graphics are like dunks in basketball. Or home runs in baseball. It's what sells the tickets. It is what it is.

#41 Posted by Basinboy (10998 posts) -

Graphics can break a game - but they sure as hell don't make one.

#43 Edited by Minishdriveby (9641 posts) -

@Gue1: not sure if serious...

LttP is one of the top 10 games of all time. As is Super Metroid. Those are both sprite based.

At the time of release were those not some of the best graphics on the market? Are they still not visually pleasing? Do people still look at screenshots of those games and think that could be interesting?

Sprites are graphics.

#44 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2308 posts) -

Graphics DOES matter . Yes , it is not the most important thing unlike gameplay but better visuals enhance immersion and makes you want to explore the world . It can also make story telling a lot better (better facial expressions etc) .

However 900p vs 720p battle is stupid at best .

#45 Posted by santoron (7648 posts) -

Yeah, I don't see the conflict. Most gamers really do value gameplay over anything else, but that doesn't mean we don't value any other part at all. If gamers didn't care at all about graphics we'd all still be on Commodores and Ataris.

#46 Posted by hippiesanta (9772 posts) -

I was the 25% when I was playing MGS4 using SDTV (my eye sores) ....... the same TV I was using for my PS1 and PS2 since 1997 ........ (...sob....)

But when I finnaly can afford an HDTV ........ Graphic matters ....... now I'm an HDTV Jihadist

#47 Posted by Bigboi500 (29197 posts) -

Graphics DOES matter . Yes , it is not the most important thing unlike gameplay but better visuals enhance immersion and makes you want to explore the world . It can also make story telling a lot better (better facial expressions etc) .

However 900p vs 720p battle is stupid at best .

Graphics "DOES" matter, or "DO" matter? Grammar DOES matter. :P

#48 Edited by wis3boi (31026 posts) -

#49 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3280 posts) -

And the next 20% are lying when they say gfx don't matter.

@wis3boi said:

Indeed.