75 million active Steam users, greenlight may end soon

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

And wow 10 million gained while new consoles have launched, also I bet greenlight will come back on the minute dozens of generic RPGmaker games make up the majority as indie in the store.

link

Oshry has continued to tweet from the event, revealing that Valve might do away with its crowdsourcing initiative, Steam Greenlight.

"Our goal is to make Greenlight go away," Valve CEO Gabe Newell reportedly said. "Not because it's not useful, but because we're evolving."

At 75 million active users Steam is still wedged firmly in between Xbox Live's 48 million users and the PlayStation Network's 110 million.

The fact that those users on PlayStation are spread among the PS3, PS4, PS Vita, and even Sony mobile devices probably helps that number get so high. Microsoft only has the Xbox 360, the Xbox One, and a paltry few mobile and tablet users.

But with the roll Valve is on we won't be surprised when that 75 million hits 100 million users and beyond.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

PSN may have tons of accounts, but Steam has several times the more concurrent users at all times.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

im sure greenlight will be replaced with someone different. totalbiscuit had a bunch of criticisms of greenlight, so perhaps an evolution is necessary.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

I really love greenlight... I have absolutely nothing negative to say about it... Gamers making awesome content that we get for free sounds good to me.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

The Sony numbers are accounts ever created, period. Steam's numebrs are ACTIVE accounts, as in they've purchased games and activley loggewd in within the past 30 days. PSN doesn't field no 7.5 million concurrent users, so that 110 million number means jack shit.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts
@TheEroica said:

I really love greenlight... I have absolutely nothing negative to say about it... Gamers making awesome content that we get for free sounds good to me.

Are you thinking of the Workshop? Greenlight is for approving the games that get sold on Steam, and most end up costing money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Why the **** would they end GreenLight? I know Valve has handled it horribly so far, but if they just got off their asses about it, it could be something great. Unless they plan on ending it and replacing it with something better, this just sounds like a horrible move to me.

B_rich84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By B_rich84
Member since 2013 • 367 Posts

Greenlight was both good and bad.

The good is, small developers got a shot.

The bad is, Steam has been flooded with so many games (a ton of bad) that the ACTUAL good games go unnoticed sometimes.

They need to evolve it or get rid of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-603db33572396
deactivated-603db33572396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-603db33572396
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

PSN may have tons of accounts, but Steam has several times the more concurrent users at all times.

you have been on steam 3 times ever and it wa your cousin cause your pc cant run games. lmao

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@CrumUnderMe said:

@Jankarcop said:

you have been on steam 3 times ever and it wa your cousin cause your pc cant run games. lmao

wtf

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

So greenlight all games?

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I hope by "end greenlight" it means relegate all indie games into their own garbage bin unless the devs behind them put forth the effort to bring out a quality product in which case they get shown in the Steam indie game section of the market.

Kinda like how on Xbox all self-published titles would go to Xbox Live Indie Games, but quality products that checked out with MS would make it to XBLA.

That's the problem with greenlight is there are so many games on there that are obviously not worth money, and it makes it harder for the quality products to get through.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

im sure greenlight will be replaced with someone different. totalbiscuit had a bunch of criticisms of greenlight, so perhaps an evolution is necessary.

A lot of those critiscisms have already been adressed by valve. The feature isn't today what it was in the beginning, it has already evolved (and for the best)

But really, I love greenlight, it allows gamers to have the games they want on Steam. And there have already been some really great games released on steam because of it. I don't want to see it go away, evolve sure, but evolve in what ?

Avatar image for deactivated-603db33572396
deactivated-603db33572396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-603db33572396
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts

lostrib is a racist. dont quote me ever again.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: not sure how exactly, but i'm sure valve would aim for continual improvement across the board with all their products/services.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

I dont think I've played 1 game that has been greenlight yet,

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Agree. Greenlight sucks. All great indie games came not from there, but from Kickstarter and self established indie devs who knew how to promote themselves.

Valve should implement the same level of quality control as on PSN and XBL, or else Steam will be downgraded to the level of Google Store. 90% of the Greenlight games is shovelware.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

@metroidfood said:
@TheEroica said:

Are you thinking of the Workshop? Greenlight is for approving the games that get sold on Steam, and most end up costing money.

BONG!! I am thinking of the workshop... whoops. :P

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#19 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Why the **** would they end GreenLight? I know Valve has handled it horribly so far, but if they just got off their asses about it, it could be something great. Unless they plan on ending it and replacing it with something better, this just sounds like a horrible move to me.

I agree, a lot of great indies made their start with that. Stuff the average person around here wouldn't even know about if it wasn't on steam. It's been great. Project Zombiod, Don't Starve, Prison Architect, and Rogue Legacy come to mind.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Greenlight and early access needs to die

Stop flooding steam with crap no one wants to play.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

Agree. Greenlight sucks. All great indie games came not from there, but from Kickstarter and self established indie devs who knew how to promote themselves.

Valve should implement the same level of quality control as on PSN and XBL, or else Steam will be downgraded to the level of Google Store. 90% of the Greenlight games is shovelware.

It doesn't suck. There is a market for them, so if other people enjoy it than fine, they should be able to buy it on steam.

There are so many non-greenlit games that I'm not interested in either.

Also, thanks to greenlight, some great games and mods like Black Mesa or Kingdom Rush are coming to steam. I've voted for many games that look interesting to me, perhaps they don't look interesting to you.

@ShepardCommandr said:

Greenlight and early access needs to die

Stop flooding steam with crap no one wants to play.

Really ? Nobody wants to play it ?

Strange, 5 out of the 10 top selling games on Steam right now are early access games.