75 million active Steam users, greenlight may end soon

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by NoodleFighter (6961 posts) -

And wow 10 million gained while new consoles have launched, also I bet greenlight will come back on the minute dozens of generic RPGmaker games make up the majority as indie in the store.

link

Oshry has continued to tweet from the event, revealing that Valve might do away with its crowdsourcing initiative, Steam Greenlight.

"Our goal is to make Greenlight go away," Valve CEO Gabe Newell reportedly said. "Not because it's not useful, but because we're evolving."

At 75 million active users Steam is still wedged firmly in between Xbox Live's 48 million users and the PlayStation Network's 110 million.

The fact that those users on PlayStation are spread among the PS3, PS4, PS Vita, and even Sony mobile devices probably helps that number get so high. Microsoft only has the Xbox 360, the Xbox One, and a paltry few mobile and tablet users.

But with the roll Valve is on we won't be surprised when that 75 million hits 100 million users and beyond.

#2 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

PSN may have tons of accounts, but Steam has several times the more concurrent users at all times.

#3 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4105 posts) -

im sure greenlight will be replaced with someone different. totalbiscuit had a bunch of criticisms of greenlight, so perhaps an evolution is necessary.

#4 Posted by TheEroica (13240 posts) -

I really love greenlight... I have absolutely nothing negative to say about it... Gamers making awesome content that we get for free sounds good to me.

#5 Posted by Kinthalis (5279 posts) -

The Sony numbers are accounts ever created, period. Steam's numebrs are ACTIVE accounts, as in they've purchased games and activley loggewd in within the past 30 days. PSN doesn't field no 7.5 million concurrent users, so that 110 million number means jack shit.

#6 Posted by metroidfood (11173 posts) -

I really love greenlight... I have absolutely nothing negative to say about it... Gamers making awesome content that we get for free sounds good to me.

Are you thinking of the Workshop? Greenlight is for approving the games that get sold on Steam, and most end up costing money.

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (55497 posts) -

Why the fuck would they end GreenLight? I know Valve has handled it horribly so far, but if they just got off their asses about it, it could be something great. Unless they plan on ending it and replacing it with something better, this just sounds like a horrible move to me.

#8 Edited by B_rich84 (28 posts) -

Greenlight was both good and bad.

The good is, small developers got a shot.

The bad is, Steam has been flooded with so many games (a ton of bad) that the ACTUAL good games go unnoticed sometimes.

They need to evolve it or get rid of it.

#9 Posted by CrumUnderMe (195 posts) -

PSN may have tons of accounts, but Steam has several times the more concurrent users at all times.

you have been on steam 3 times ever and it wa your cousin cause your pc cant run games. lmao

#10 Posted by lostrib (33272 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

you have been on steam 3 times ever and it wa your cousin cause your pc cant run games. lmao

wtf

#11 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24583 posts) -

So greenlight all games?

#12 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

I hope by "end greenlight" it means relegate all indie games into their own garbage bin unless the devs behind them put forth the effort to bring out a quality product in which case they get shown in the Steam indie game section of the market.

Kinda like how on Xbox all self-published titles would go to Xbox Live Indie Games, but quality products that checked out with MS would make it to XBLA.

That's the problem with greenlight is there are so many games on there that are obviously not worth money, and it makes it harder for the quality products to get through.

#13 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

im sure greenlight will be replaced with someone different. totalbiscuit had a bunch of criticisms of greenlight, so perhaps an evolution is necessary.

A lot of those critiscisms have already been adressed by valve. The feature isn't today what it was in the beginning, it has already evolved (and for the best)

But really, I love greenlight, it allows gamers to have the games they want on Steam. And there have already been some really great games released on steam because of it. I don't want to see it go away, evolve sure, but evolve in what ?

#14 Posted by CrumUnderMe (195 posts) -

lostrib is a racist. dont quote me ever again.

#15 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4105 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: not sure how exactly, but i'm sure valve would aim for continual improvement across the board with all their products/services.

#16 Posted by Heil68 (43244 posts) -

I dont think I've played 1 game that has been greenlight yet,

#17 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4414 posts) -

Agree. Greenlight sucks. All great indie games came not from there, but from Kickstarter and self established indie devs who knew how to promote themselves.

Valve should implement the same level of quality control as on PSN and XBL, or else Steam will be downgraded to the level of Google Store. 90% of the Greenlight games is shovelware.

#18 Edited by TheEroica (13240 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Are you thinking of the Workshop? Greenlight is for approving the games that get sold on Steam, and most end up costing money.

BONG!! I am thinking of the workshop... whoops. :P

#19 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5254 posts) -

Why the fuck would they end GreenLight? I know Valve has handled it horribly so far, but if they just got off their asses about it, it could be something great. Unless they plan on ending it and replacing it with something better, this just sounds like a horrible move to me.

I agree, a lot of great indies made their start with that. Stuff the average person around here wouldn't even know about if it wasn't on steam. It's been great. Project Zombiod, Don't Starve, Prison Architect, and Rogue Legacy come to mind.

#20 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2293 posts) -

Greenlight and early access needs to die

Stop flooding steam with crap no one wants to play.

#21 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

Agree. Greenlight sucks. All great indie games came not from there, but from Kickstarter and self established indie devs who knew how to promote themselves.

Valve should implement the same level of quality control as on PSN and XBL, or else Steam will be downgraded to the level of Google Store. 90% of the Greenlight games is shovelware.

It doesn't suck. There is a market for them, so if other people enjoy it than fine, they should be able to buy it on steam.

There are so many non-greenlit games that I'm not interested in either.

Also, thanks to greenlight, some great games and mods like Black Mesa or Kingdom Rush are coming to steam. I've voted for many games that look interesting to me, perhaps they don't look interesting to you.

Greenlight and early access needs to die

Stop flooding steam with crap no one wants to play.

Really ? Nobody wants to play it ?

Strange, 5 out of the 10 top selling games on Steam right now are early access games.