4 out of 10 profitable according to Yoshida

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Link

Sony Computer Entertainment has been known to publish quite a few games that haven’t exactly been financial breakthroughs, yet they don’t seem to be about to give up on that kind of experience, as explained by Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida during his panel at Gamelab in Barcelona a few days ago.

When you look at what we do, managing studios and managing funds, that’s essentially what we do: to look for talent and support talent, because at the end of the day it’s the people that create amazing things, and it’s the creative team that makes breakthroughs.

It’s a hit-driven business. We look at our financial results of the titles, and probably three or four out of ten make money, and maybe one or two make all the money to cover the cost of the others titles. So we have to be able to maintain that hit ratio at a certain level to be able to continue in the business, so we always try to find out and support and help grow the talent. That’s the most important work that I believe myself and some of my management team at worldwide studios are doing.

There are lots of opportunities. There are so many projects that we want to do, and especially there are so many different techs, platforms and or devices that we can release games, but we have finite resources and budget, we have to make selection choices.

One of the things we always come back to when we’re looking at five potential projects is that we choose the team we believe in when we start working with a new team. That’s really really important.

Personally, I’m quite happy to see that Sony is willing keep supporting talented developers whether their games are financial hits or not, especially considering that titles that may not seem like enormous moneymakers at first sight can actually turn out to be runaway hits.

If I was a shareholder, maybe I’d have a different opinion on this. Thank Goodness I’m not.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@getyeryayasout: Same. The PS3 becoming the beast it did made my decision for me.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 0

#4 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

This was even more true last gen. Cows constantly hyped PS3 exclusives that they didn't even buy....

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Last_Ride

@remiks00: There's not anything to buy except Forza, Gears and Halo from MS mate

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@remiks00 said:

This was even more true last gen. Cows constantly hyped PS3 exclusives that they didn't even buy....

At least PS3 provided solid exclusives...like last year ... Yeah , the failure of last gen !! Where was Wii ... big lol ... Where was X360 that supposed won PS3 last gen ? ...

Sony proved again and again , 1st or dead last , profits or losses , that is the only company console wise that supporting their consoles even in next-gen unline N and MS. Period

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By remiks00

@The_Last_Ride: Lol, why bring Microsoft into this? People bought the hell out of Halo/Gears/Forza. My point still stands true about PS3 last gen.

@AzatiS Why so defensive? Lol. You're missing the point of my comment that still stands. Sure, their were several exclusives for the PS3; The fact is, cows constantly hyped exclusives last gen that they didn't buy. Starhawk, MAg, Twisted Metal, etc, etc. The only series that seemed to have made them profit was Uncharted, TLoU, and maybe Killzone....,GoW? One can only assume that this also plays a big part of Yoshida's comment on "4 out of 10 sony games are profitable". Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that they support more niche games. But due to last gen, thats probably the reason why there will be less of a focus on AAA games.

http://www.gamejudgment.com/gamer-woes-sony-gamers-buy-exclusives-dont-just-brag-about-them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Last_Ride

@remiks00: well what else can you compare it to? Nintendo has Mario, but at least they have some variety, but not all of them sell as well as Mario Kart

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Hopefully it will be more profitable this generation since PS4 is the most popular console.

Props for Sony.

I wonder what games aren't profitable.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 remiks00

@The_Last_Ride said:

@remiks00: well what else can you compare it to? Nintendo has Mario, but at least they have some variety, but not all of them sell as well as Mario Kart

That's true, and it shouldn't be expected for every one of their games to sell as well as MKart. My point was the fact that last gen, cows hyped every exclusive to use it as ammo against lems. But yet, they didn't buy them. So most of them flopped in sales expectancy back then.That's all.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#11  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

Sony Computer Entertainment has been known to publish quite a few games that haven’t exactly been financial breakthroughs, yet they don’t seem to be about to give up on that kind of experience, as explained by Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida during his panel at Gamelab in Barcelona a few days ago.

When you look at what we do, managing studios and managing funds, that’s essentially what we do: to look for talent and support talent, because at the end of the day it’s the people that create amazing things, and it’s the creative team that makes breakthroughs.

It’s a hit-driven business. We look at our financial results of the titles, and probably three or four out of ten make money, and maybe one or two make all the money to cover the cost of the others titles. So we have to be able to maintain that hit ratio at a certain level to be able to continue in the business, so we always try to find out and support and help grow the talent. That’s the most important work that I believe myself and some of my management team at worldwide studios are doing.

There are lots of opportunities. There are so many projects that we want to do, and especially there are so many different techs, platforms and or devices that we can release games, but we have finite resources and budget, we have to make selection choices.

One of the things we always come back to when we’re looking at five potential projects is that we choose the team we believe in when we start working with a new team. That’s really really important.

Personally, I’m quite happy to see that Sony is willing keep supporting talented developers whether their games are financial hits or not, especially considering that titles that may not seem like enormous moneymakers at first sight can actually turn out to be runaway hits.

If I was a shareholder, maybe I’d have a different opinion on this. Thank Goodness I’m not.

As an ADR holder I like the strategy. It makes sense. But it also puts into context something he said about less AAA exclusives. With dev cost rising, and using this strategy of 1 or 2 big winners profits blanketing the ones who didn't turn a profit, you have to cut back on the expenditure. 4 out of ten hits, but 1 or 2 big hits have to cover the ground for all is what he alluded to. With the cost of rising development, that's a lot of number crunching and careful planning.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I think they've probably done well enough with the PS4 so far and are into the positive so far.

• Killzone SF
  • inFAMOUS SS
  • MLB The Show 14
  • Knack

Naughty Dog and Evolution , you're next !

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@remiks00 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

That's true, and it shouldn't be expected for every one of their games to sell as well as MKart. My point was the fact that last gen, cows hyped every exclusive to use it as ammo against lems. But yet, they didn't buy them. So most of them flopped in sales expectancy back then.That's all.

They sold ok, some not at all. That's true, but not all of them were failures. Just because they didn't make a profit, doesn't mean they didn't break even

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Cows don't buy games.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Last_Ride

@foxhound_fox said:

Cows don't buy games.

Why did Killzone have such a high attach rate then?

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Cows don't buy games.

By virtue of being the only high end looking exclusive at launch?

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@remiks00 said:

SW is a little fishbowl, with a few dozen regular posters. Why are you intimating anyone here made or broke the financial chances of any game?

Fanboys of each platform here hype every game down the pipe. Then the actual market buys the game, or doesn't. The people here aren't influencing the market with their purchases, sheesh.

On topic: It's been obvious over the last two decades Sony is willing to invest in a wide variety of games, including some that look like a rough bet at becoming a commercial smash. A boon to gamers everywhere looking to escape the same old same old.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Yeah but I'm somehow omnipotent enough to know that some strangers on internet forums didn't buy games therefore herp de derp with some added plerp.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

TC sure loves making threads... only has 8 thrreads on the front page so far, cant wait for what he posts next

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@AzatiS said:

@remiks00 said:

At least PS3 provided solid exclusives...like last year ... Yeah , the failure of last gen !! Where was Wii ... big lol ... Where was X360 that supposed won PS3 last gen ? ...

Sony proved again and again , 1st or dead last , profits or losses , that is the only company console wise that supporting their consoles even in next-gen unline N and MS. Period

Sure wish they would support the PSvita.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

TC sure loves making threads... only has 8 thrreads on the front page so far, cant wait for what he posts next

I agree, TC could stand to make less shitty threads.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

don't worry sony you've proven this fact with ps1, ps2 and ps3!

bbbbbbut

that vita get rid of it plz!?

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I have a funny feeling a lot of the smaller games sony produces will either be downloadable this gen or have a way smaller budget compared to their big budget games(5-15 million) development costs most likely since sony had to deal with multiple sales flops last gen which never made back the money spent on the development of these games. The only types of games sony will spend 30+ million on are games from developers like naughty dog and some of there proven or big new developers like RAD.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Cows don't buy games.

The ones I drive by every day are all fenced in and eating grass. But they do provide me with good steaks and milk which are a great compliment to my games.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

uh .... yeah. this seems like, par for the course.

seems sensible that the console exclusives would be - on the whole - , running at breakeven or a loss. i mean, they're shooting arrows in the dark aiming for a killer app like 'halo', 'gt', or 'super smash bros'. an app which will shift consoles.

they've got to invest in all kinds of projects to get unique experiences on their system - that's gonna cost money. obviously they don't care too much about making money from the game software development, these are exclusive games! why restrict them if they wanted to shift software? the role of these games is to get the system's library unique and appealing - that costs money. but hit on a killer app, and the pendulum could swing the other way. the role of these games is to shift systems.

this is one of the differences between PC and consoles. you don't have all those studios 'gambling' like this on PC. (some of those gambles pay off)

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Nike_Air said:

I think they've probably done well enough with the PS4 so far and are into the positive so far.

• Killzone SF
  • inFAMOUS SS
  • MLB The Show 14
  • Knack

Naughty Dog and Evolution , you're next !

This as to be a joke. It has to be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@remiks00 said:
The only series that seemed to have made them profit was Uncharted, TLoU, and maybe Killzone....,GoW

Try GT series, LBP, Heavy Rain, Journey, Demon's Souls (it was its success after all that spawn the beloved Dark Souls everyone seems to love so much nowadays), inFamous, Ratchet and Clank... and I'm sure I'm forgetting some more

say what?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

More games for gamers to play in a wide range of genres. I know I took advantage of the variety of choices. At the end of the day, it's not the business that interests me but the games. Of course, if I didn't have the systems, I'd probably talk about business all the time too. I can see why so many non-owners post about this subject over the years/decade.

I'm too busy gaming on various platforms to worry about sales and business as a consumer. Unless I get paid, my opinion will be as a consumer and hobbyist and I love all the effort companies put into making many games for me to dabble in. Less games for me to play would make me a sad panda.

The article ends with this statement:

---

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

This is where Microsoft fails... Sony have always got it right in supporting their studios. It does not matter if a game does not make any money, even if you just break even that's good enough. Exclusives only purpose is to sell consoles, you can make the rest of the money off of the multi-plats.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@remiks00: There's not anything to buy except Forza, Gears and Halo from MS mate

Lots more then that. Fable, Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Crackdown, Dance Central, Project Spark, Ryse, Fantasia: Music Evolved, Phantom Dust, Scalebound plus a ton of Indie games. A whole lot more then just Forza, Gears and Halo. M$ hasn't even announced everything yet.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

That's some vain PR talk, emblematic of Sony. Last gen 360 murdered PS3 in variety when you counted shared PC games not available on PS3. And of course early on it had a plethora of exclusives no longer talked about just because they weren't Sony-related.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#32 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@MrYaotubo said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Cows don't buy games.

By virtue of being the only high end looking exclusive at launch?

And reviews of Knack were flowing in.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@remiks00 said:

As opposed to whom? MS who closed down Ensemble, let Bungie go and turned Rare into a laughing stock? GTFO with all that.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

Sony takes a loss for gamers @_@

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Cows don't buy games.

The ones I drive by every day are all fenced in and eating grass. But they do provide me with good steaks and milk which are a great compliment to my games.

I guess we can come to the conclusion cows are more useful to society then. I don't think a Lemming has ever improved my overall quality of life. lol.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

That's how every entertainment industry works. You put out a lot of stuff, most of it isn't successful but the ones that are hit so hard that they make up for the stuff that didn't find an audience.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

It was PS3's diverse catalog that helped steer me to a PS4 to start this gen. Thank you Sony.

Yep nothing like plopping down $400 on a unproven piece of hardware with minimal game line up and no backwards compatibility.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@blackace: I am not saying it doesn't have games, gamers on MS platforms only care for those

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#39 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Several years ago, it was said that 60% of all games fail. Looks like that's still the case.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 The_Last_Ride

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Several years ago, it was said that 60% of all games fail. Looks like that's still the case.

i wonder if that's the case for mobile aswell

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

@remiks00 said:

Not sure where people get this SW = world vision.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Only now the stakes are higher because the costs have gone up and development is generally longer and harder.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

It's always a damn shame to see any good game end up a financial flop, some games that cater to ultra niche markets but execute what they meant to do perfectly just to watch it be ignored always gets me a bit down.

Sure there will always be CallofBros games to make the bread and butter but even that being the reality of the market just makes me sad. Some games have to scrape for sales when anyone can release a FPS and turn a profit.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

it is a harsh market

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

I'm sure the percentage is higher for mobile, but the investment is also much lower.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@remiks00:

To be fair, Sony exclusives usually releases around the same time frame of each other. Something like Mario Kart will have no competition on the Wii U. This applies to Xbox too.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 The_Last_Ride

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

I'm sure the percentage is higher for mobile, but the investment is also much lower.

true, just look at Flappy Bird

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

It was PS3's diverse catalog that helped steer me to a PS4 to start this gen. Thank you Sony.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 The_Last_Ride

@Heil68 said:

@getyeryayasout said:

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Was Eroica the lemming from the podcast or was it Animal Mother? Just i curious question?

Yup it is well put

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#50 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Cows don't buy games.