2014-2019 A look at Phil Spencer's legacy with Xbox wuan. What's his rating for delivering games?

• 192 results
BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

It's about time to check, Phil, "The Ax Man" Spencer's report card since taking Donny D's position 5 years ago!

Phil Spencer:"Pff, he thinks Donny D left a scar?"

Some already fed up waiting!

Phil Spencer:It really "...Doesn't keep us from doing other things."

Microsoft-canceled Xbox One Phantom Dust reboot Developer shuts down, 50 people lose their jobs

https://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-canceled-xbox-one-phantom-dust-reboot-leaked-looks-alright-289304.phtml

The lemmings start pouring their heart out to "The Ax Man"!

Terry Crews is speechless!

Whatever happened to simply making great games?

Phil Spencer, The Right man for the job?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22378 Posts

Lol, you seriously need to get a life... wow.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BoxRekt

I realize what I have done.

I'm ready!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

Dude was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'll wait to see how he impacts next-gen to make a final decision... He spent most of this gen trying to claw out of the hole the Xbox One and Kinect bombed in.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

I will say B+ for bringing Gamepass, been able to play and try out more games than i normally would, surprised at the titles MS has brought to gamepass from 3rd party along with 1st party. Def will move up to A+ within the next couple years with all the new studios and upcoming Xcloud to help play even more when on the go.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44224 Posts

I feel that he’s been doing a pretty good job myself. The only disappointment for me was the cancellation of Scalebound however I don’t know all of what was going on with it behind the scenes so I can’t really comment on it one way or the other. I’m just disappointed that the game did end up coming to fruition.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

This gen has been a total bust for Xbox exclusives. No one can deny that. I think they'll start to put out some good games next gen with studios like Obsidian, NT, Playground and The Initiative. Will they be the same quality as the likes of God of War, Uncharted, TLOU and Spider-Man? I doubt it but time will tell.

And Phil has lied his ass off on Twitter. He knew they had nothing the last few years yet kept saying every year would be better than the last. It will be 2-3-4 years before they have an actual worthwhile lineup to show off. Their new studios are still hiring people and deciding what they want to make.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BoxRekt

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Lol, you seriously need to get a life... wow.

So I wanted to put a lil work a thread sue me.

It's not like many of us don't spend a lot of time on this board anyway going in threads that literally show no effort of the part of the creator.

Besides, I had to cover 5 years. Give me a break man ?

Can't please everyone lol.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BoxRekt

@BigBadBully said:

I will say B+ for bringing Gamepass, been able to play and try out more games than i normally would, surprised at the titles MS has brought to gamepass from 3rd party along with 1st party. Def will move up to A+ within the next couple years with all the new studios and upcoming Xcloud to help play even more when on the go.

You do realize that "gamepass" is literally the reason why Xbox games have been the way they are the last couple years right?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lundy86_4

@boxrekt said:

You do realize that "gamepass" is literally the reason why Xbox games have been the way they are the last couple years right?

In what way?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22378 Posts

@boxrekt: Hey, I admire your dedication to fanboy bullsh*t... no doubt this took a while to create.

But surely you have better things to do with your time, no? :)

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

That was an emotional rollercoaster, holy moly OP.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BoxRekt

@lundy86_4 said:
@boxrekt said:

In what way?

lol is that a serious question or are you doing your normal run around troll routine?

If it's a serious question I'll answer but if it's your normal run around nonsense I'll just let you assume I'm wrong and keep it moving.

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@boxrekt: Hey, I admire your dedication to fanboy bullsh*t... no doubt this took a while to create.

But surely you have better things to do with your time, no? :)

lol, and yet, you and I are both sitting here on the same game site, no? ;)

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BoxRekt

@mandzilla said:

That was an emotional rollercoaster, holy moly OP.

I know, I was laughing at some of the gifs I was picking for the Ax Man. :)

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@boxrekt: Changing leadership wouldn't change lost R&D time and games are develop for more than 2 to 3 years lead time. XBO's game development has R&D inertia geared towards Kinect and it's harder program on XBO's 32 MB ESRAM based architecture.

PS4's game development occurred before year 2013.

Game development for PS5 and Xbox Anaconda are already occurring and early dev kits with expected performance hardware profiles are already in the wild.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

Crackdown 3 is Phil Spencer baby and its the worst AAA exclusive

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lundy86_4

@boxrekt said:

lol is that a serious question or are you doing your normal run around troll routine?

If it's a serious question I'll answer but if it's your normal run around nonsense I'll just let you assume I'm wrong and keep it moving.

Enlighten us.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

The saddest mofo who ever lived...I present you alt boxrekt and his many alts lol.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BoxRekt

@ronvalencia said:

@boxrekt: Changing leadership wouldn't change lost R&D time and games are develop for more than 2 years lead time. XBO's game development has R&D inertia geared towards Kinect and it's harder program on XBO's 32 MB ESRAM based architecture.

Wow, I almost understand this post.

Did my thread make this guy become a little human? I usually can't understand anything you post.

If you're saying the budget for xbox was already spent/used (I think it's what you're getting at) At the very start of the gen MS boasted about spending 1 billion toward xbox one exclusive titles.

That was at the very beginning of this gen, I just don't see it, do you?

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@i_p_daily: @hrt_rulz01:

I present to you the two most butthurt xboners on this forum.

Good job op. The truth clearly hurts, as seen by the above clowns. It’s a shame that people look past Phil Spencer because of their goldfish brains.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BoxRekt

@lundy86_4 said:
@boxrekt said:

Enlighten us.

You didn't answer my question so I guess it's the same ol tired routine.

Just assume you know the answer buddy. If someone else askes me I'll answer them since you're just looking for a reason to use your canned lines again.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lundy86_4

@boxrekt said:

Just assume you know the answer buddy. If someone else askes me I'll answer them since you're just looking for a reason to use your canned lines again.

Haha, alrighty. Genuine question gets a shit response. If anybody wants to ask my question again to get a response, please do... Oh, please do...

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BoxRekt

@i_p_daily said:

The saddest mofo who ever lived...I present you alt boxrekt and his many alts lol.

I'm hurt.

Your words wound me deeply :'(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@pdogg93 said:

Good job op. The truth clearly hurts, as seen by the above clowns. It’s a shame that people look past Phil Spencer because of their goldfish brains.

The truth as seen by cows such as yourself, I mean I know why you have the word dog in your username now, as you follow Sony around sniffing it arse all day lol.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BoxRekt

@pdogg93 said:

lol well people can hate my post

Buuuut, it IS a factual representation of Phil's Spencer's 5 years as head of xbox, with a touch of my own personal humor of course. Maybe it's an acquired taste.

Isn't this the spirit of system wars?

I don't understand the hate it's not like I'm lying on the guy or anything. I actually pulled his own Tweets and MS promotions in the creation of this thread.

Doh...See I just thought of one just as I said this.

See, I didn't even go as in depth as I could have lol

You can't make this stuff up!

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@ronvalencia said:

@boxrekt: Changing leadership wouldn't change lost R&D time and games are develop for more than 2 years lead time. XBO's game development has R&D inertia geared towards Kinect and it's harder program on XBO's 32 MB ESRAM based architecture.

Wow, I almost understand this post.

Did my thread make this guy become a little human? I usually can't understand anything you post.

If you're saying the budget for xbox was already spent/used (I think it's what you're getting at) At the very start of the gen MS boasted about spending 1 billion toward xbox one exclusive titles.

That was at the very beginning of this gen, I just don't see it, do you?

It's too late and damage from Kinect's resource misallocation has been done for this Xbox One console generation.

Both MS and Sony are already focusing on AMD's next 7nm based game console hardware with different CPU/GPU performance profile which includes game world scope changing deep learning GPU and stronger Ryzen CPU hardware.

Remember

CPU creates the game world scope

GPU renders the view port.

PS5 recent dev kits has Radeon VII GPU and Ryzen. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/al946u/sony_has_shipped_out_ps5_development_kits_analyst/

Navi GPU IP should be mastering 64 ROPS over 256bit bus GDDR6 design which Vega 64 or VII can duplicate.

PC is the primary development machine for the next consoles since game consoles has CPUs just as fat as desktop/laptop PC's fat CPU designs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

99% of your argument is based on critics not liking Xbox games.

When I see a list of Ryse, Lucky, ReCore, Susnet Overdrive, Killer Instinct, Sea of Thieves, etc. I just see games I enjoyed.

The dumbest thing I heard prior to this post, is that when I buy Xbox games, I'm responsible for Xbox Game Studios making bad games. Yet the only one who says Xbox makes bad games, are the people on PS4 who likely completely different games. If you mad that Xbox doesn't make games everyone loves, well, no one gives a shit when Nintendo does that, yet Xbox is a dead ****.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Notice how the alt OP brings Metashitic into the argument almost straight away to show all the low scores and then conveniently leaves of ALL the games that are rated in the 80's & 90's on Metashitic lol.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BoxRekt

@lundy86_4 said:
@boxrekt said:

Haha, alrighty. Genuine question gets a shit response. If anybody wants to ask my question again to get a response, please do... Oh, please do...

lol with you it usually works out giving you a genuine response and getting a shit canned rebuttal.

You build your reputation however you want to, but that's the one you've built for yourself and you seemed to be proud of it. Don't get uppity with me because you never actually asked any "genuine" questions before.

My attitude toward you asking "genuine" anything is as natural as my attitude toward believing Phil Spencer being good for gaming. I've got no proof to believe either is true!

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Did you make this yourself? Oh, isn't it good.

Why don't you glue it into your special scrapbook with the others and I'll have a look a bit later, hm?

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BoxRekt

@razipie said:

Next gen will be to XBox what the PS4 and Switch were to the PS3 and Wii U,. Both Sony and Nintendo came back stronger than ever after having their worse console generations

Now that Microsoft has the better first party studio lineup than Sony studios.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lundy86_4

@boxrekt said:

lol with you it usually works out giving you a genuine response and getting a shit canned rebuttal.

You build your reputation however you want to, but that's the one you've built for yourself and you seemed to be proud of it. Don't get uppity with me because you never actually asked any "genuine" questions before.

My attitude toward you asking "genuine" anything is as natural as my attitude toward believing Phil Spencer being good for gaming. I've got no proof to believe either is true!

You seem to have some "canned" anger toward me. It's okay my man, let it flow. I asked a question and you presumed the worst. You then criticized that I didn't answer your question, when you never answered my initial question. It's okay dude.

----

Anyway, you chose not to answer the question. All good. I'm watching some Seal Team and posting here, then i'll play some more Anthem.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56143 Posts

Phil Spencer is probably the only reason that Xbox One isn’t a complete failure. Mattrick was running it into the ground from the start and Phil has done a pretty damn good job of building something out of the pile of bullshit Mattrick left behind. He brought the Xbox One X after the regular Xbox One couldn’t keep up with the base PS4, BC when Sony couldn’t and addressed the issue of Microsoft lacking exclusives this gen by buying up a bunch of studios so that they actually have some next-gen. Both Xbox Play Anywhere & Game Pass is awesome too add here and as a PC gamer, I can personally thank Phil Spencer for porting MS games on PC way more so cause he's saving me the trouble of not wasting my time with Xbox One console.

Phil has basically been doing damage control and trying to clean up that idiot Mattrick’s mess for the last four years. Let’s see what he can do with his own vision next-gen that is Xbox Scarlet.

Also, credit to BoxRekt cause hey, he put alot of work into this thread so credit were it's due.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BoxRekt

@saltslasher said:

When I see a list of Ryse, Lucky, ReCore, Susnet Overdrive, Killer Instinct, Sea of Thieves, etc. I just see games I enjoyed.

The dumbest thing I heard prior to this post, is that when I buy Xbox games, I'm responsible for Xbox Game Studios making bad games. Yet the only one who says Xbox makes bad games, are the people on PS4 who likely completely different games. If you mad that Xbox doesn't make games everyone loves, well, no one gives a shit when Nintendo does that, yet Xbox is a dead ****.

I'll tell you a secret.

I don't have to like a game to appreciate and respect it.

It's not because I don't like or couldn't like any xbox games that I criticize phil, it's because he's half assed this entire generation doing the bare minimum that I criticize him.

I'm just looking at the games he's delivered to xbox fans this generation and it's embarrassingly week if you're being honest with yourself.

Many of the things you guys are cheering for and that MS is planning to do will only facilitate these half-assed shovel-ware caliber games even more.

Look at Dead or Alive for the original xbox? Otagi? NFL Fever (low scoring but wasn't a budget game series) Mech Assault? Ninja Gaiden? Steel Battalion? Blinx The Time Sweeper? Knights of The Old Republic? Jet Set Radio? Fable?

Sorry OG xbox is the only system I can reference to give you an example of titles from MS that were "all in" and "respectable" even if they are not all highly rated.

You assume I just hate MS and xbox, no, I just hate what it's become.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BoxRekt

@sancho_panzer said:

Did you make this yourself? Oh, isn't it good.

Why don't you glue it into your special scrapbook with the others and I'll have a look a bit later, hm?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lundy86_4

@boxrekt said:

Seems like you, my man. lol.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BoxRekt

@lundy86_4 said:
@boxrekt said:

You seem to have some "canned" anger toward me. It's okay my man, let it flow. I asked a question and you presumed the worst. You then criticized that I didn't answer your question, when you never answered my initial question. It's okay dude.

----

Anyway, you chose not to answer the question. All good. I'm watching some Seal Team and posting here, then i'll play some more Anthem.

Sorry, I didn't "presume" anything.

You have an established pattern of behavior and there is no reason for ME to "presume" other wise.

Own it and stop trying to preaching as if you deserve the benefit doubt. You willfully burned those bridges with your spiteful actions. Stop fronting for the people.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lundy86_4

@boxrekt said:

Sorry, I didn't "presume" anything.

You have an established pattern of behavior and there is no reason for ME to "presume" other wise.

Own it and stop trying to preaching as if you deserve the benefit. You willfully burned those bridges. Stop fronting for the people.

I asked you a question, dude. You seem to have some resentment toward me, and that's your burden to bear. In good faith, i'll ask again...

@lundy86_4 said:
@boxrekt said:

In what way?

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BoxRekt

@razipie said:

@boxrekt: Santa Monica and Naughty Dog are amazing studios but they have too many dookie studios like Bend and Sucker Punch, two studios can't carry the entire Sony first party lineup. That MLB studio is solid as well. Guerrilla Games made a good open world game but a mediocre shooter too.

Rare and Compulsion suck, but PixelOpus and Sony Japan have put out even worse turds like Entwined and Knack/2

Ok

You did a lot of talk about Sony but how does any of that give MS a better First party than Sony? I'm confused.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11106 Posts

I 100% do not get the cult of personality around Phil Spencer. the man has been cancer to the Xbox brand. And it didn't start when he took over in 2014. He was head of Xbox first party development before that. Everyone wants to throw shit at Mattrick for how the Xbox One console turned out, but it's Phil who's been overlooking the lackluster content for quite some time now.

Phil is like a dumb message board fanboy with too much money for his division. Instead of fixing things that count, he's always using smoke and mirrors and providing constant band-aids that aren't helping Xbox in the long term. Only concerned with making sure he gets good press... until the next crashing embarrassment. Yet he continues to fail upward. I still think he got promoted strictly for marketing purposes. "Everything's fine at Xbox!", or some shit. The man's only good for slashing games and Xbox console prices.

But, I knew things were shit once the Xbox division bought Minecraft to boost software numbers. Not to mention tucking Xbox away in a general "Gaming" category to make things look better than they're doing for investors. I truly believe the rain clouds would finally part over Xbox if they dropped this square-headed douche.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ahmedkhan1994
Member since 2008 • 714 Posts

I'm about done with MS. The xbox one x is my last MS console. Doesnt even matter since it's supposed to be able to play all future MS games..

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@saltslasher said:

I'll tell you a secret.

I don't have to like a game to appreciate and respect it.

It's not because I don't like or couldn't like any xbox games that I criticize phil, it's because he's half assed this entire generation doing the bare minimum that I criticize him.

I'm just looking at the games he's delivered to xbox fans this generation and it's embarrassingly week if you're being honest with yourself.

Many of the things you guys are cheering for and that MS is planning to do will only facilitate these half-assed shovel-ware caliber games even more.

Look at Dead or Alive for the original xbox? Otagi? NFL Fever (low scoring but wasn't a budget game series) Mech Assault? Ninja Gaiden? Steel Battalion? Blinx The Time Sweeper? Knights of The Old Republic? Jet Set Radio? Fable?

Sorry OG xbox is the only system I can reference to give you an example of titles from MS that were "all in" and "respectable" even if they are not all highly rated.

You assume I just hate MS and xbox, no, I just hate what it's become.

So endless hate on Xbox is justifiable because everyone just wants them to be better?

I wish that were true, but I've never seen anyone talk hella shit on Xbox, give any sign like they actually like Xbox or ever will.

When Sony pissed me off when PS3 was lamer than PS2, and PS4 lamer than PS3, I didn't sit around talking shit hoping it makes things better, I literally never said a bad thing about PS3, but PS4 has, but I complain after shit happens, that is worth complaining about, never been about games. I don't see people harassing Nintendo players for playing stupid shit like Mario Party and ARMS.

Nothing I can say or do will change what Microsoft does. And if I'm responsible for Xbox's lame games cause I buy them, and shouldn't buy their games and should start talking shit....that sounds like what a Pony would do.

I'm fine with Xbox's games. On average I like them a hell of a lot more than Nitnendo's games and don't care what critics say. Just because Sony has a few awesome games, doesn't make Xbox's games lamer.

Why do you care so much that critics like what you like?

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ahmedkhan1994

@lundy86_4: geez, what he was trying to say is that the reason xbox games have been sub par lately is because the xbox community is willing to give the games a pass because they are on gamepass and barely have to pay $5 to play them. MS ends up still making money and throw around irrelevant stats like "3 million players in one day" to make it seem as if the game has been a critical success. On top of that you have communities like xbox reddit defending the game to death and denying any criticism by just saying the game is "fun" and that there is a media bias against MS with the shit reviews. Sending MS a message that again, the xbox community is fine with mediocrity.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@lundy86_4 said:

Dude was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'll wait to see how he impacts next-gen to make a final decision... He spent most of this gen trying to claw out of the hole the Xbox One and Kinect bombed in.

^This, he inherited a mess that Dom Mattrick created since the Kinect Launch in the 360 generation. No one said it would be easy for him to clean it up. The next gen will be Phil's ultimate test if he's viable in saving the Xbox brand and he's done a lot of great moves of restructuring as well as pleasing the PC gamers.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lundy86_4

@ahmedkhan1994: In what way are Xbox gamers willing to give a pass to Xbox games solely because they are on Game Pass? I may be mistaken, but I can't remember the last time I logged into the MS hive-mind, so maybe instructions were given out later?

I've yet to play the game, but it certainly scored what it scored. I had no expectations above a 6-7 on GS, and I was certainly wrong on that front lol.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BoxRekt

@lundy86_4:

Dude, I dont have any resentment toward you at all.

You just disrespected me when I give you "genuine" responses by trying to waste my time in the past and I'm not going to waste my energy explaining something to someone who's only desire is to shit post in response.

Hope you understand, I did ask you up front if it was a serious question but you responded with a snarky, "enlighten us" reply so I knew you were ready to do your same ol routine so I informed you that you can assume I'm wrong!

You want to annoyingly challenge anything I said anyway so just assume I'm wrong and save everybody the time.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ahmedkhan1994

@lundy86_4: I am constantly active on xbox reddit and view the discussions they have. Overwhelming posts are about how the scores are undeserved and that while the game doesnt warrant a $60 purchase, it does warrant a $5-$10 game pass subscription because of its "fun" factor and thus is a good game if seen from that point of view.