1up Resistance 2 Review: B+

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ExtremeOne316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ExtremeOne316
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

The review mentions the one thing I have been feeling is that the game does not have a story co op mode . this side story co op crap is weak and pointless while games like Gears of War 2 have a story co op mode .

ozmatic77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 ozmatic77
Member since 2007 • 310 Posts

gaming heaven just scored it a 97/100

http://n4g.com/gaming/News-224094.aspx

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="nicenator"]

Also, LOL at this;

"It's a clear "we're improving upon our predecessor" type of title, and it succeeds on that front"

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3155184&p=37&sec=REVIEWS

Resistance: FOM score, A-

nervmeister

Standards do change over the course of 2 years. It improves upon the original, but it still may not be A+,A, A- material by todays standards.

Tell that to the legions who've become addicted to R2 merely from playing the beta.

It's alright to be addicted to a game that isn't AAA. :| If people only think "great" games get AAA, then they are dead wrong. AA is "great" for a reason. A, AA, AAA... all are worth playing and most likely buying.

nicenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 nicenator
Member since 2005 • 1938 Posts

More interesting personality wise when yuo listen to their 1UP podcast has nothing to do with reviews. GT, IGN, and GS are the best hads down IMO. TREAL_Since

A couple of the Insomniac guys were on the 1up FM podcast recently i think, and they said they felt a bit cheated when it came to Ratchet that they were criticized in many reviews against stuff they never promised and never said the game was to include.

Its a bit of a harsh dig, therefore, to criticize them for not including standard co-op (which they never said would be there IIRC) when they've put so much effort into pushing the concept forward with the 8 player stuff.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

ozmatic77
Looks like 1up's take is falling into the minority.
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171026

That's the main disappointment, if any, behind Resistance 2. It's a clear "we're improving upon our predecessor" type of title, and it succeeds on that front. If you're really picky, you can quibble about certain aspects -- not as many cool visual effects as you'd hope for in a modern shooter (depth-of-field, motion blur, etc.) or occasional slowdown (mostly when respawning after an active firefight), to name two. But, overall, Resistance 2 is an extremely well-assembled FPS, with an improved campaign, fun competitive multiplayer, and a damn neat take on co-op. I wouldn't go as far as to say this is the definitive PS3 game, but it's certainly one of the best PS3 exclusives I've played. Plus, I gotta give props to a game that loves giant monsters as much as I do.

Reading the review, it makes the score seem a bit harsh. I would have thought at least an A-.

Still, not a bad score by any means.

nicenator

Honestly, he sounds like a guy who doubted R2 in the first place and tried to find 'little' things about it he didn't like.

His main complaints:
- Slowdown only after you respawn
- No motion blur or depth of field
- No traditional co-op

And he brushes the 8 player co-op campaign as if it's a mini game or something :lol:.

Now, I'm not the complaining type, but that is utterly ridiculous. Oh well :?...

desyple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#57 desyple
Member since 2008 • 1725 Posts
Wii Music>>>>Resistance 2.What are those guys smoking? :lol:stvee101
whyd you steal my sig??:evil:
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts

[QUOTE="Kratos_OMEGA"][QUOTE="TREAL_Since"]

I think WE CAN ALLAGREE that 1UP FAILS HARD. Lems, Cows, and Hermits alike. Sheep love them surely :P.

People complain about Gamespot, but 1UP are some the most biased and shoddy reviewers on the net.

TREAL_Since

I still prefer 1up to Gamespot. At least they have more interesting reviewers, GS have the worst sorry ass boring bunch of ****'s i ever seen.

More interesting personality wise when yuo listen to their 1UP podcast has nothing to do with reviews. GT, IGN, and GS are the best hads down IMO.

IGN give too many AAA's

GT though, they're my favourite.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

ozmatic77

how harsh are them?

just asking

RuprechtMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 RuprechtMonkey
Member since 2008 • 1509 Posts
[QUOTE="RuprechtMonkey"]

We Ski > Wii Music > Resistance 2

Hahaha, 1up is such trash.

PS3Breeder

tHEY DIDNT REVIEW wII mUSIC AS A fps ,your not to bright are u ?

MabyE Im not To btrie !

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

ozmatic77

That's better :)

Nisim19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Nisim19
Member since 2008 • 1002 Posts

lol cows already start the demge control

R1 get an A- becuse the standart back then was low

its like say that HALO 1 > HALO 3 becuse the score...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#63 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

So Wii Music is better than Resistance 2 according to 1up?

They fail. Hard.

Aljosa23

No, you fail for thinking that 1Up places Wii Music above Resistance 2.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

The review mentions the one thing I have been feeling is that the game does not have a story co op mode . this side story co op crap is weak and pointless while games like Gears of War 2 have a story co op mode .

ExtremeOne316

That's the point. From the beggining Insomniac said that they would create separate campaigns. One dedicated to single player experience. And the other to co-op. Fleshing out each mode to its strengths as well as intwining the story. I mean, how can that be a bad thing?

Grady420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Grady420
Member since 2008 • 430 Posts
[QUOTE="Kratos_OMEGA"][QUOTE="ULTIMATEZWARRIO"][QUOTE="nicenator"]

Also, LOL at this;

"It's a clear "we're improving upon our predecessor" type of title, and it succeeds on that front"

ULTIMATEZWARRIO

lol, 1up just got self-owned

Not really. Standards change so no self ownage here.

yes, but this is by their standards, and if there standards now say that it is clearly a better game, then it should technically recieve the same score or greater, but i don't really care about that, my point was just that it is kinda funny, hence the "lol"

Just bc you think the 2nd installment of a game is better does not mean it deserves a better score. You score a game based on standards of the time it is coming out and the standards have went up. You do not score a game based on how the 1st game scored, that would be stupid. No self-ownage.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9165 Posts
[QUOTE="ExtremeOne316"]

Episode_Eve

That's the point. From the beggining Insomniac said that they would create separate campaigns. One dedicated to single player experience. And the other to co-op. Fleshing out each mode to its strengths as well as intwining the story. I mean, how can that be a bad thing?

maybe its a bad thing for the people that wanted to play co-op but the main story, not the side-missions (even though they still tie in with the story)

thats the only reason i can think of

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

From what i can gather, the main criticisms are:

- Enemy AI seems to focus on you incessantly regardless of your actions (fair enough).

- Lack of traditional co-op (... yeah, not quite so sure i can agree with that when considering the scale and effort they have put into the 8 player game. Seems like a bit of a slap in the face really.)

- Lack of vehicle sequences (which werent very good in the first one...)

- Difficulty points down a path of trial and error (isnt that basically most games with any sort of reasonable challenge level?)

nicenator

What do they mean by "traditional co-op?" They have split-screen, right? So they can't be talking about that.

Walker34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Walker34
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts
I tend to think Resistance will get scores around 90 where gears will get scores around 95-100. The reality is no matter how decent a game it might be it's always going to be Gears **** in certain regards.
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
[QUOTE="nervmeister"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="nicenator"]

Also, LOL at this;

BioShockOwnz

Standards do change over the course of 2 years. It improves upon the original, but it still may not be A+,A, A- material by todays standards.

Tell that to the legions who've become addicted to R2 merely from playing the beta.

It's alright to be addicted to a game that isn't AAA. :| If people only think "great" games get AAA, then they are dead wrong. AA is "great" for a reason. A, AA, AAA... all are worth playing and most likely buying.

That's a good point. I enjoyed the hell out of Fable 1 after all. Still though, I have to be skeptical about them after Wii-music.
nicenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 nicenator
maybe its a bad thing for the people that wanted to play co-op but the main story, not the side-missions (even though they still tie in with the story)

ogvampire

quite possibly, but if a developer has chosen to attempt to push a concept forward through a radical new idea, and it succeeds in doing so, the last thing i would do as a reviewer is spend more time complaining about the old style not being present than praising the developers for the progress they've made within the genre.

Bentham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Bentham
Member since 2008 • 1154 Posts
Great score. Keeping up with my cheapness, I will be GameFly-ing this one.
ozmatic77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ozmatic77
Member since 2007 • 310 Posts

[QUOTE="TREAL_Since"][QUOTE="Kratos_OMEGA"][QUOTE="TREAL_Since"]

I think WE CAN ALLAGREE that 1UP FAILS HARD. Lems, Cows, and Hermits alike. Sheep love them surely :P.

People complain about Gamespot, but 1UP are some the most biased and shoddy reviewers on the net.

EuroMafia

I still prefer 1up to Gamespot. At least they have more interesting reviewers, GS have the worst sorry ass boring bunch of ****'s i ever seen.

More interesting personality wise when yuo listen to their 1UP podcast has nothing to do with reviews. GT, IGN, and GS are the best hads down IMO.

IGN give too many AAA's

GT has it's share of questionable reviews...halo 3 having a better story than mgs4?...

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts
[QUOTE="ExtremeOne316"]

Episode_Eve

Appearantly trying to do something new and create a SEPARATE STORY DRIVEN CAMPAIGN, just for co-op, that supports 8 players doesn't meet today's console standards. I will wait on the GS and GT reviews :).

I don't like complaining. I feel like a little ***** doing so, but I can't help it if he gives no reasonable arguments of why he scored it below AAA.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
[QUOTE="nicenator"]

Also, LOL at this;

BioShockOwnz

Yeah, especially since Crysis 1 and 2, STALKER 1 and 2, and most of all; Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare released during the time between Resistance 1 and Resistance 2.

I said "most of all" because those are console shooters.

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 EuroMafia
[QUOTE="EuroMafia"]

ozmatic77

IGN give too many AAA's

GT has it's share of questionable reviews...halo 3 having a better story than mgs4?...

When did they say that in their MGS4 review?
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Episode_Eve
[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"][QUOTE="ExtremeOne316"]

ogvampire

Well, most games either don't do co-op. Or simply throw in an extra player for the campaign mode. These people should have known to be disapointed from the very beggining (I find that rediculous anyway), sinc Insomniac stated that they are taking a different approach to co-op. How can you complain? There is an an awesome single player and 8-player co-op dedicated on teamwork. It gives us more in the end.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Episode_Eve

ozmatic77
Lol, yeah that's classic.
PS3Breeder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 PS3Breeder
Member since 2008 • 1240 Posts
[QUOTE="EuroMafia"]

ozmatic77

IGN give too many AAA's

diffrent games ?

TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts
[QUOTE="ozmatic77"]

Episode_Eve

What was the MGS4 story anyways?

Slept through everyone of the 30 min cutscenes.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Episode_Eve
[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"][QUOTE="ozmatic77"]

TheOwnerOner

No comment.

TruestGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 TruestGamer
Member since 2008 • 294 Posts
it's a good score, damage control or not, it's a pretty poorly written review. I'm glad most of you are picking up on it. This game has AAA all over it.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9165 Posts
[QUOTE="ogvampire"]maybe its a bad thing for the people that wanted to play co-op but the main story, not the side-missions (even though they still tie in with the story)

nicenator

quite possibly, but if a developer has chosen to attempt to push a concept forward through a radical new idea, and it succeeds in doing so, the last thing i would do as a reviewer is spend more time complaining about the old style not being present than praising the developers for the progress they've made within the genre.

i agree with you. we already knew what to expect from the game and what the developers said they were gonna include. why complain about something that you already knew wasnt gonna be there anyway? i mean, that feature has been replaced that by something that could turn out to be a better experience. its a little silly, imo

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 EuroMafia
[QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"][QUOTE="Episode_Eve"][QUOTE="ozmatic77"]

Episode_Eve

No comment.

That bad?
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts
Great game, but I always thought it was overrated. It is Sony's answer to Halo.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"][QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"]

EuroMafia

No comment.

That bad?

yeah, in fact Geow 1 had a better story than mgs4 :roll:

Walker34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Walker34
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts
gamerankings average score is probably the most accurate strangely enough. I tend to think most games are overrated but it at least gives you a good idea of what the best games are as far as rank.
TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts
[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"][QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"][QUOTE="Episode_Eve"][QUOTE="ozmatic77"]

EuroMafia

No comment.

That bad?

It's a great story to only those die hard MGS fans,

for the rest its a snore fest, seems like they tried too hard, ruined the game for me.

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

Man. Lower than I expected, but they also gave MGS4 A- :P. Still not a bad score. I'll read the review now.Episode_Eve
A- is a terrible score for MGS4, 1up is a joke.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Episode_Eve
[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"][QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"][QUOTE="Episode_Eve"][QUOTE="ozmatic77"]

EuroMafia

No comment.

That bad?

:| I'm not gonna sit here and explain to him--or anyone else for that matter--the story of MGS4. It will take to much time and I won't even get through all of it. If you want my opinion on it: MGS4's (and the MGS series) story completely $h!ts on Halo 3 and its semi-pretentiousness.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50712 Posts

EuroMafia

No comment.

That bad?

Why respond to people who just want to hate?

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#92 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
I never took 1up serious at all. Hell the only site i trust is IGN. I have a feeling that they are going to give gears a high score.
ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#93 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
Ouch, this isn't going to end well. Im still going for AAA here at GS.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"][QUOTE="ExtremeOne316"]

TREAL_Since

Appearantly trying to do something new and create a SEPARATE STORY DRIVEN CAMPAIGN, just for co-op, that supports 8 players doesn't meet today's console standards. I will wait on the GS and GT reviews :).

I don't like complaining. I feel like a little ***** doing so, but I can't help it if he gives no reasonable arguments of why he scored it below AAA.

these ?

• no co-op through the campaign
  • no vehicles
  • lack of a narrator
  • under 10 hour campaign
  • enemies targeting only you - breaking the illusion of being in a real squad
  • cheap unexpected deaths
  • absence of some visual delights of a modern shooter

postives

• scope
  • good weapons
  • enemies
  • fun multiplayer
  • neat co-op mode

Oanenergy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Oanenergy
Member since 2008 • 130 Posts

I say an 8.0 maybe an 8.5 on GS

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

So 1UP matters?? thats a new one, all I remember from them is different kinds of rumours and lies.

GT5p having damage in day 1 was so hilarious.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]Man. Lower than I expected, but they also gave MGS4 A- :P. Still not a bad score. I'll read the review now.blazinpuertoroc

A- is a terrible score for MGS4, 1up is a joke.

That's sarcasm... right? :|

Glitch321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#98 Glitch321
Member since 2003 • 913 Posts
After playing the beta i going to buy it on day 1. I don't really care what reviews say.
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45595 Posts
They gave Motorstorm 2 an A- but Resistance 2 a B+? HUH
nicenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 nicenator
these ?
  • no co-op through the campaign (yeah, shame they only incorporated a whole seperate campaign dedicated to co-op. Id rather they did that right than compromise the rest of the rest of the game to rush it in)
  • no vehicles (subjective really. I hated them sections in R1, but some liked them, so fair enough)
  • lack of a narrator (i cant remember this ever being seen as a negative until now. AFAIK everyone hated Rachel Parker and the fact that she was used in place of actual cut-scenes)
  • under 10 hour campaign (like every other AAA FPS on the market)
  • enemies targeting only you - breaking the illusion of being in a real squad (fair enough, i agree with this one)
  • cheap unexpected deaths (again, most other FPS on the market has its share of these, Gears 1 and Halo 3 on heroic/legendary were terrible for this, didnt stop me enjoying them)
  • absence of some visual delights of a modern shooter (some are in the game as unlockables, reviewer just missed this entirely)

Nike_Air