17 Years Ago, Nintendo Called The Death Of Exclusive Games, And The Collapse Of The AAA Market

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23919 Posts

Collapse of the mid tier?!?

You are sayign that as the mid tier went through a renaissance a few years ago due to superior distribution, rise of social media and kickstarter.

Edit: I see you are talking about consoles.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

Maybe someone already addressed it but you do have to factor in recession and way more competition.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#53 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@EvanTheGamer said:

Well Nintendo keeps making systems that nobody wants.

*looks at 65 million 3DSs sold*

Hmmm...

Thats actually pretty shit compared to the DS sales (ironically I like the 3ds more than the ds), which were what over 150 million, that's a 60% in drop sales. Don't get me wrong I love the 3DS and I love HH's but they dropped the ball with the 3DS cause we get maybe 3 or 4 decent-good games a year if we're lucky while the rest is shovelware .

If you look at the top 5 sold consoles guess who knows their shit (answer: Sony)

1. PS2
  2. PS1
  3. Wii
  4. 360
  5. PS3
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34615 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

All those guys can eat a bag of diks. I'll take the multiplatform market that is giving me the likes of Witcher 3, Doom, RE7 and soon to come: Mass Effect Andromeda, Prey, RDR2 among a plethora of others over 1,2 fukin switch shit and Arms. Fuk off Nintendo.

How manly. And cool.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#55 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Litchie said:
@cainetao11 said:

All those guys can eat a bag of diks. I'll take the multiplatform market that is giving me the likes of Witcher 3, Doom, RE7 and soon to come: Mass Effect Andromeda, Prey, RDR2 among a plethora of others over 1,2 fukin switch shit and Arms. Fuk off Nintendo.

How manly. And cool.

Why thank you, sweetie

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

• The death of the exclusive due to escalating costs- for most third parties it is no longer cost effective to create exclusives, and the only exclusives come from first parties, or first party funded games. This has led to further commoditization of hardware. Some consoles, with minimal exclusives, have found themselves on the wrong end of this commoditization, and have struggled to keep up with the competition

Nintendo predicted their own future!!

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

YEAH MISTER SAYONARA YOU KEEP TALKING WHILE I PLAY DUTY CALLS 23 ON MY GAMESTATIONBOX 6.75, NOW WITH 9% FASTER RAM!

Avatar image for profvannostrand
ProfVannostrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ProfVannostrand
Member since 2017 • 53 Posts

Every single Nintendo release is AAA in monetary terms. This new Zelda, Breath of the Wild, has probably been on the drawing board for 10 or 15 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@Litchie said:
@cainetao11 said:

How manly. And cool.

Why thank you, sweetie

Doesn't even make sense.... nothing to do with what Char is saying.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#60 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@LegatoSkyheart: Skyrim is literally mentioned in the OP

yeah. Skyrim? in the same league as Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty as "Formulaic" or a "Template"?

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

"The effort to produce machines with better technology has reached its limit. If things continue, they may lead to the decline of the entire game industry. We're reaching the limits of how far we can appeal to consumers by boosting the machine's performance or providing more compelling graphics or sound."

-Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata, August 2002

I know that sheep worship him but is was way off on a lot of points.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@charizard1605 said:
@EvanTheGamer said:

Hmmm...

Still sold a ton less than the original DS.

Over 50 million less.

I don't get this argument. Who cares if it didn't sell as much as the gargantuan BEAST that was original DS.

That's like saying "hey this movie didn't have the highest box office gross in history, it's trash!" Not everything is going to outdo and rewrite history people...

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Yes, game development is too expensive. Fewer get made, most studios shut down, and big studios take fewer chances on new IPs or weird styles of gaming. The industry has become homogenized. If I was EA or Activision I'd be seriously considering putting as many games on the switch as I can. Why? Cheaper to develop for, a return to AA gaming that doesn't require the budget of a small country to create. Third parties need to sell more games beyond the two platforms, enter the switch. Even if you only sell 500k copies on the switch, that adds to the overall total. The industry needs the switch and bad. Otherwise it will consume itself trying to keep up with resolution and graphics trends. They're too expensive. It can't be supported much longer. Look how poorly the Pro is selling. Scorpio is headed in the same direction.

The industry needs the Switch. Devs, don't listen to these supposed gamers telling you what they want. Do what's best for your business, put games on the switch. Sony and Microsoft are going to destroy you and you don't even know it.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Bread_or_Decide

@cainetao11 said:

You know Nintendo is on the right track when "gamers" like this are so easily triggered and threatened.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Bread_or_Decide

@crashnburn281 said:

If only we had listened to the great prophet Nintendo.

Nintendo...still in business, sitting on mountains of cash, and able to survive a wii u sales disaster. Sony and Microsoft could not survive if such a thing happened to them, with their business models. Poor sales of PSVR, PS PRo, and Vita are killing Sony. PS4 sales are only recouping all those losses. Microsoft is slowly coming back from their horrible xbox one launch.

Meanwhile, Nintendo selling tons of amiibos, 3DS units, and killing it in the mobile gaming sector. But yeah...don't listen to them...what do they know...

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@smashed_pinata said:
@brah4ever said:
@charizard1605 said:
@EvanTheGamer said:

Hmmm...

Still sold a ton less than the original DS.

Over 50 million less.

I don't get this argument. Who cares if it didn't sell as much as the gargantuan BEAST that was original DS.

That's like saying "hey this movie didn't have the highest box office gross in history, it's trash!" Not everything is going to outdo and rewrite history people...

Nintendo can't win. They either blow the top off and it's a gimmick or they sell well and can't outsell themselves.

Nintendo gets so much irrational hate these trolls manage to compliment and bash Nintendo all at the same time. Look how successful they were! Look how semi-successful they are now!

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: I look forward to playing all those great Nintendo games on my PlayStation 5.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Nowadays I don't need realism or highest graphics.I'd even take 720p if there's no lag to hamper immersion, a good story, good cast of characters, and a good challenge

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#69 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@crashnburn281 said:

@Bread_or_Decide: I look forward to playing all those great Nintendo games on my PlayStation 5.

Well be playing Playstation games on Nintendo devices before that ever happens. I can already play most of them on my PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#71  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@charizard1605 said:

@LegatoSkyheart: Skyrim is literally mentioned in the OP

yeah. Skyrim? in the same league as Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty as "Formulaic" or a "Template"?

???

I'm not criticizing Skyrim. I'm saying it became obscenely successful and caused a lot of other developers and publishers to chase its success. Is this something you disagree with?

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

The death of the mid-tier (A and AA titles) is what we feel the most. The days of the 8bit and 16bit mid-tier is long gone, the N64 only had a few.

It's sad. In many ways I miss the game renting roulette I went through as a kid of games I didn't know/never heard of.

Game development is just going to get more costly as consoles become more powerful. I suspect that this situation is going to get far worse with more developers closing shop or merging with larger companies.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#73  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@brah4ever: The interesting thing here is that potentially, much like how Japan's mid tier survived on the Vita in spite of HD graphics and rising costs, the Switch could host a mid tier of gaming, too. It would depend on Nintendo's licensing policies, as well as the ease of development on the Switch- but it is something that could definitely happen.

To be quite honest, this doesn't make any sense to me. Many vita games found their way to the PS4, and there isn't going to be a single Switch game that cannot run on a PS4 or X1. What can the Switch offer graphically that PS4 and X1 can't do?

Doesn't matter if it's an A, AA or AAA. A fun game will still be fun no matter which controller you're holding in your hands.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Nothing new to me. Platforms have been going bust, developers have come and go since I started gaming. I've been a platform survivor two times over.

Developers too have had fame and then crashed and burned. Seems normal to me.

Spectrum Holobyte, Microprose, Sierra, Psygnosis, etc. All I remember in their heyday. Now? Gone.

Yet, I'm enjoying myself as good as ever. What I learned in all these is that where there's a void, someone will fill it. Some of them are bound to develop exclusives.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Nah, Ninty's got one foot in the past is all. It doesn't help that half their fans are like bomb worshippers, devoutly praying for the next games market crash. :P

Something like Nintendo VR studios, co-bankrolled by one of the big VR players, could be an awesome platform for Nintendo's talents - a win-win for gamers and the industry, but after the promise of Pokemon Go, all it seems we're getting is more of the same. Shame, because I love Nintendo games, but their conservative approach to content control in general is the main reason I can't justify buying their hardware any more.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

Games generally aren't fun anymore. Hyper realistic graphics being the norm was cool for a while but i've realy began to notice that its come at the cost of innovation and genuinely fun gameplay. Lately if i play or watch anything new i think to myself "Do people actually enjoy playing this?" It looks like nintendo was able to see this and designed their systems accordingly. Unfortunately the majority of gamers and developers are not on that same page.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 cainetao11

@MBirdy88 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Litchie said:
@cainetao11 said:

How manly. And cool.

Why thank you, sweetie

Doesn't even make sense.... nothing to do with what Char is saying.

Well I guess its a first for SW then. I explained myself to char already.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 cainetao11

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@cainetao11 said:

You know Nintendo is on the right track when "gamers" like this are so easily triggered and threatened.

Talk about triggered LMAO

I make one post and how many are butthurt because I segmented one statement by Nintendo? LOL Get a fukin life

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Bread_or_Decide

@cainetao11 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@cainetao11 said:

I make one post and how many are butthurt because I segmented one statement by Nintendo? LOL Get a fukin life

Triggered gamer still triggered.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 cainetao11

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@cainetao11 said:

Triggered gamer still triggered.

Same to you

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I believe when he said this indie games as we know it didn't exist. Developers like Obsidian were basically saved giving up AAA productions to go to smaller, more specified routes.

Yep, indie games didn't exist, but this was before the bottom fell out of the A and AA market. Obsidian may have managed to survive, but so many other publishers and developers - really, most of the ones present at the start of the HD generation - went bankrupt over the last decade.

Indie games existed, they were called shareware back then though. On PC that is.

There were a lot of indie games for the nintendo to from what i recall. it started a little tech war in the console era, nintendo and sega didn't want these developers making games without their aprproval so they tried to hardware lock the cartridges so they must be genuine. The work around was a game that slotted another game onto it etc. kind of clever I thought.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#82 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@cainetao11 said:

You are misunderstanding the point. While Nintendo, naturally, is speaking out against multiplatform games (since their entire business thrives on exclusives), the larger point is of the collapse of the AAA industry (which has happened, we are left with what, four, five major publishers?), the collapse of the mid tier market (also happened, the mid tier doesn't exist anymore), a resultant diminished output of games (again, also happened), and finally, a homogenization of the games that do come out- this is something we can even see in the indie sector, where games will chase either sidescrolling platformers, or roguelikes, or first person horror games, because some other indie game was a success in those genres. Nintendo's specific quotes may have been in context of their systems, but their larger point was right, as history demonstrates.

The question is not 'are multiplats evil?' The question is, is there a way back from this diminished, homogenized software lineup? Multiplats are a symptom, not the problem itself.

you want more A and AA games that were the norm 20 years ago, you end up with the junk shovelware the Wii had....

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#83 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69492 Posts

If gaming was left to Nintendo we will suffer a mass stagnation in gaming. I am glad for the existence of multiplatform games and gamers have spoken with the success of the PS4 and the Xbox One. The Switch is going to be like Pokemon Go, a temporary fad that will be forgotten by most. Multiplatform games are the future. Gimmicky methods of playing the same game has done more harm than good and when Nintendo crashes and burn from trying to flood the market with gimmicky shit, the industry can finally move on. :)

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@MBirdy88 said:

Switch is marrying 2 markets, what it will lack in AAA HTPC wannabe Multiplatform games, it will make up with pretty much the entire handheld market style games with its fair share of unique console-centric experiences.

What handheld franchise games will be released on the Switch? Serious question. I don't know but you seem to do with claims like that. Will there be Professor Layton games? Phoenix Wright? Mario & Luigi? I haven't read a single hint that Nintendo will actually treat the Switch like a handheld.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#85 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@nethernova said:
@MBirdy88 said:

Switch is marrying 2 markets, what it will lack in AAA HTPC wannabe Multiplatform games, it will make up with pretty much the entire handheld market style games with its fair share of unique console-centric experiences.

What handheld franchise games will be released on the Switch? Serious question. I don't know but you seem to do with claims like that. Will there be Professor Layton games? Phoenix Wright? Mario & Luigi? I haven't read a single hint that Nintendo will actually treat the Switch like a handheld.

A new main Pokemon title. So far, Pokemon Stars is rumored to be in development for the Switch.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23919 Posts
@jereb31 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I believe when he said this indie games as we know it didn't exist. Developers like Obsidian were basically saved giving up AAA productions to go to smaller, more specified routes.

Yep, indie games didn't exist, but this was before the bottom fell out of the A and AA market. Obsidian may have managed to survive, but so many other publishers and developers - really, most of the ones present at the start of the HD generation - went bankrupt over the last decade.

Indie games existed, they were called shareware back then though. On PC that is.

There were a lot of indie games for the nintendo to from what i recall. it started a little tech war in the console era, nintendo and sega didn't want these developers making games without their aprproval so they tried to hardware lock the cartridges so they must be genuine. The work around was a game that slotted another game onto it etc. kind of clever I thought.

Yeah, the indie scene was always around. Hell, indie devs and modders have more or less been dominating innovation in PC gaming for the past few decades.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#87 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Eventually the biggest companies will have to put effort into the games so they are good, instead of wasting more than the development costs in marketing and a large chunk of development on graphics, churning out OK looking but shallow visual novels and collectathons.

The best marketing is everyone saying your game is good and it being good to back it up.

Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Blazed
Member since 2005 • 2947 Posts

Sales are doing better in hardware and software. Even Ratchet & Clanl sold better than it did on Ps2. The gaming industry is more heathy than it's ever been.

I would argue Sony games a just as creative if not more than Nintendo's. They also take more risk than Nintendo in terms of software while Nintendo is struggling with New IP's that bring in new audiences.

Sony is a liitle bit of Nintendo and Microsoft all in one wich is why studies show gamers are buying Playstion as a family console. It's one of the driving forces behind Sony's sales.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nethernova said:
@MBirdy88 said:

Fire Emblem and Pokemon seem to be the big ones so far. Of the three you named, two are third party games, so Nintendo couldn't possibly answer for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@nethernova said:
@MBirdy88 said:

A new main Pokemon title. So far, Pokemon Stars is rumored to be in development for the Switch.

Foreemblem as well.

Also its common friggin sense for a start. Since the 3DS will be discontinued....

I mean... why the hell does it need a list when the thing is only now coming out? Its obvious.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@cainetao11 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@cainetao11 said:

You are misunderstanding the point. While Nintendo, naturally, is speaking out against multiplatform games (since their entire business thrives on exclusives), the larger point is of the collapse of the AAA industry (which has happened, we are left with what, four, five major publishers?), the collapse of the mid tier market (also happened, the mid tier doesn't exist anymore), a resultant diminished output of games (again, also happened), and finally, a homogenization of the games that do come out- this is something we can even see in the indie sector, where games will chase either sidescrolling platformers, or roguelikes, or first person horror games, because some other indie game was a success in those genres. Nintendo's specific quotes may have been in context of their systems, but their larger point was right, as history demonstrates.

The question is not 'are multiplats evil?' The question is, is there a way back from this diminished, homogenized software lineup? Multiplats are a symptom, not the problem itself.

I didn't miss that point at all. As far as is there a way back? That depends on the world wide consumer market not me.

I chose to make my stand on the point I chose to. Maybe if they gave the mass consumer a well rounded console instead of just a gimmiky Nintendo first party machine they wouldn't need to catch lightning in a bottle like the Wii. The vast majority of their software is not appealing to the mass market and PS has proven this 3/4 gens against them.

Their software is mass market enough, selling millions of copies as it does each generation, including, yes, this last generation. Until 2011, there were very few games that sold more than Nintendo games- and if 3DS is considered, that statement still holds true. Nintendo games are the only games in the world that can sell hardware all on their own.

But again, that is not the point that either Nintendo, nor this thread, is making, so let's drop that here and move on.

Nintendo should drop out of the console market. focus on making handhelds and software. make games for mobile, 3ds, and PS4/XB1. Imagine the sales zelda would get if it was available to the 80 million PS4/XB1 owners. Not only that but the Xb1/PS4 lack games for kids really (outside of lego games and skylanders and such) having nintendos library of IPs on them would be huge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@darkangel115: Well, the Switch is effectively a handheld and not a console, so they did exactly that.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@charizard1605: I mean that's cool and all, and it's nice that they knew about all that and had some foresight...but..........................what actual, legitimate choice did they give gamers? Wii+WiiU, outside of Nintendo first party, weren't exactly anything to write home about.

They did very well on the handheld front, even when they had some okay-ish opposition from the PSP for a while.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Desmonic: Well, as I say in the OP, they did a shit ton of things wrong.

DS, 3DS, and hopefully Switch, though? Great

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Desmonic  Moderator

@charizard1605: Yeah, the Switch definitely needs a lot more DS/3DS mojo than Wii/WiiU :P

So while it was nice that they knew all that, it just shows they didn't know what to do with their own convictions about the industry.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605: Yeah, the Switch definitely needs a lot more DS/3DS mojo than Wii/WiiU :P

So while it was nice that they knew all that, it just shows they didn't know what to do with their own convictions about the industry.

To be fair to them, they were on the right track with the Wii. Then they just lost sight of the big picture, and yeah. That got us the second half of the Wii's life, and the Wii U.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 cainetao11

@charizard1605 said:

Ahh don't do that, dude. DS, 3DS=great. Switch is an unknown as of yet. That's a writing mechanic to include it in with the 2 aforementioned great Nintendo products.

I have a hard time caring whether they were right or wrong when they don't make any attempt to make a viable, well rounded product for the average consumer in the home console market. Crying about multiplatform games rather than adapting to the changing times was fail.

I guess at the end of the day, this place is filled with us, passionate gamers. So we talk about these things like the disappearance of the AA market and such. But you know what? I still have a backlog. If I have a backlog that means there is more games I want to play than time I have to play them. So where is the problem for me in all reality?

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Desmonic  Moderator

@charizard1605: Yeah, that thing fell off a cliff after some crazy 3-4 years. Which was odd, but nothing that could actively prepare us to what was the WiiU :P

I think they got it right with the Switch, but of course only time will tell :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@cainetao11 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Ahh don't do that, dude. DS, 3DS=great. Switch is an unknown as of yet. That's a writing mechanic to include it in with the 2 aforementioned great Nintendo products.

I have a hard time caring whether they were right or wrong when they don't make any attempt to make a viable, well rounded product for the average consumer in the home console market. Crying about multiplatform games rather than adapting to the changing times was fail.

I guess at the end of the day, this place is filled with us, passionate gamers. So we talk about these things like the disappearance of the AA market and such. But you know what? I still have a backlog. If I have a backlog that means there is more games I want to play than time I have to play them. So where is the problem for me in all reality?

Well, that's why I said 'hopefully Switch' :P But yes, Switch is an unknown. There is a great first year of games lined up. So I am excited for it. But yes, Nintendo could drop the ball on it. Again. I don't expect them to this time. But they absolutely could.

And yes, sure, there are more games to play right now than most of us can play- but you know what? That ultimately does come down to us being passionate and caring gamers. For the average gamer, a lot of the games they used to play, such as the shitty movie tie ins, simply don't exist on consoles anymore. An entire segment of the market just disappeared.

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605: Yeah, that thing fell off a cliff after some crazy 3-4 years. Which was odd, but nothing that could actively prepare us to what was the WiiU :P

I think they got it right with the Switch, but of course only time will tell :)

I think the handheld side of Nintendo will save the Switch, if nothing else.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 cainetao11

@charizard1605: I know you put the qualifier "hopefully" before Switch. That's how it is a writing mechanic.

The line up of great games is subjective, like entertainment, period. I certainly will not feel I missed out because I don't play Mario. The only one I ever played to completion was SMG, anyway. Zelda is all they have this year for me so its a weak line up.

The point still stands. Many of us have back logs. More games than we can play upon timely release, so why cry about things? When games like Green Lantern and Iron Man were getting released, we shit on them.