10 months later - Was GTA V a disappointment?

• 139 results
Edited 1 month, 14 days ago

Poll: 10 months later - Was GTA V a disappointment? (159 votes)

Not a disappointment in the slightest. It lived up to all of the expectations, and it was easily one of the best games of last-gen. 51%
Mildly disappointing. It is a really great game, but it just barely missed the mark. 19%
Moderately disappointing. Still a good game, but it could have been so much more. 24%
Highly disappointing. It shamed the GTA name. Rockstar really fucked it up. 5%

So, it has been approximately 10 months since Grand Theft Auto V released, and I wanted to see what the general consensus is on it. There was a lot of hype built up around this game. Was the hype worth it?

In my opinion, it was mildly disappointing. I shall list pros and cons.

Pros

- Gorgeous, detailed and believable open-world.

- The writing is easily some of the best I have experienced in a video game, easily a Hollywood-quality script, and the characters are stellar.

- Improved gameplay over GTA IV.

- Trevor.

- The first half of the main story is well written and well paced.

- Trevor.

Cons

- The second half of the main story is a convoluted and horribly paced mess. And don't even get me started on the endings....

- Way too short. Like, really... way too short.

- Don't flame me for this, but i'm just saying... I wish there were some better-quality female characters.

- The law enforcement is just awful. Like... wow, awful. Why the hell should a police officer shoot me dead just for standing in from of him/her for 10 seconds?

Anyway. For me, Grand Theft Auto V was an 8/10 game. Kind of a disappointment.

So SW, how does Grand Theft Auto V hold up now, ten months after release?

#1 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10291 posts) -

My favorite game of 2013, my favorite game of the entire Grand Theft Auto series and one of my favorite games from last generation.

Fantastic game all around in my eyes. From the awesome characters, immensely improved driving and gameplay and new way to tell the story, even the oftentimes frustrating multiplayer.

#2 Posted by mems_1224 (46454 posts) -

Great game, I just wish they hadn't in a more realistic direction. You died so fast that it made fucking around in the world a big pain in the ass. The story was also pretty meh. Still, it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than GTA4 and Los Santos was so much better than boring ass Liberty City.

#3 Posted by Ballroompirate (22540 posts) -

Nope, loved it

#4 Posted by lundy86_4 (42938 posts) -

11 million steps up over GTAIV. All that needs to be said.

#5 Edited by Nike_Air (18312 posts) -

I had low expectations. Never finished a GTA game , either got bored or too frustrated. My expectations were that was going to be a lot better than GTA IV and a game I could possibly enjoy and get through. I finished it. 7.5/10. Success.

#6 Posted by santoron (7690 posts) -

Not a disappointment to me. It met or exceeded all of my expectations for a GTA game. I'd consider GTA online a mild disappointment simply because heists have been MIA thus far, and without them I hit a point where I didn't feel any push to continue. When they do launch I imagine it'll suck me in again.

#7 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16664 posts) -

Not for me, but that's because I was expecting to be underwhelmed anyways. And I wasn't disappointed. for all the truly impressive technical aspects, there were more than a few issues with the gameplay, pacing and mission structure... and I'm sorry, but flaws are flaws, regardless of how technically well made a game is. I gave it a 7/ 10 simply because it's such a stellar technical achievement and I stand by that. Only taking the gameplay and whatnot into account it's more like a 6.

#8 Posted by NUSNA_Moebius (33 posts) -

Disappointing in that it's taking this long to come out on PC.

#9 Edited by BldgIrsh (1557 posts) -

Has heists come out yet? I bought it thinking it was a month after release.

#10 Edited by commonfate (12252 posts) -

How dare you push your feminist agenda on SW?! That kind of discussion does not belong here!

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (55949 posts) -

I found it highly underwhelming.

#12 Posted by Kevlar101 (6044 posts) -

How dare you push your feminist agenda on SW?! That kind of discussion does not belong here!

:P lol

#13 Posted by Seabas989 (10093 posts) -

I got bored of it.

#14 Posted by jg4xchamp (47257 posts) -

Not big on Rockstars games. So in that context I had a good time. All the previous games in the series and Rockstar games are outclass in terms of gameplay (Max Payne 3 still has better shooting mechanics), mission variety, and mission designs overall. It's still way too bloated the way a Rockstar game is, and most of the mission designs are overly simplistic "go here, shoot dudes in the face" stuff, and the plot is several layers of mediocre.

Is it great? I don't think so. It is however the best Rockstar had been this previous gen in terms of a game, and frankly would be my pick for the best GTA game. Vice City gets far on soundtrack and the scarface parody, but the game itself is clunky as fuck. San Andreas is way more varied, but again super bloated. Grand Theft Auto 4 is hot garbage. Red Dead Redemtpion is barely above average as a game (Marston's greatness noted). So yeah 5 was a good time.

#15 Edited by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

yes it is. considering from every site game got 10/10

#16 Posted by CTR360 (6965 posts) -

i love GTA V i own ps3 and 360 versions i buy the ps4 version after the price drop i i cant wait for GTA 6 haters gona be hate

#17 Posted by lostrib (34152 posts) -

yes it is. considering from every site game got 10/10

...well except for you know Gamespot

#18 Edited by UnbiasedPoster (731 posts) -

I enjoyed it a lot. The driving and shooting is fun. It's worlds better than GTA IV.

The ending is bonked though.

#19 Posted by CyberLips (1814 posts) -

Loved it, it was all i expected it to be. The only complain i have is that we can't do heists outside of the main story ones.

#20 Posted by blangenakker (2212 posts) -

Not for me, but that's because I was expecting to be underwhelmed anyways. And I wasn't disappointed. for all the truly impressive technical aspects, there were more than a few issues with the gameplay, pacing and mission structure... and I'm sorry, but flaws are flaws, regardless of how technically well made a game is. I gave it a 7/ 10 simply because it's such a stellar technical achievement and I stand by that. Only taking the gameplay and whatnot into account it's more like a 6.

Most genuine comment I've seen.

#21 Posted by silversix_ (14034 posts) -

Not to me since i wasn't hyped for it and dislike GTA in general

#22 Edited by Speak_Low (927 posts) -

I thought it was an incredible game and, yes, towering achievement. Rockstar could've made this a slight enhancement over GTA IV (and Episodes from Liberty City) to quickly cash in on the close of a Gen 7, but you can tell it's a major overhaul that they took seriously. Instead of a minor follow-up, Rockstar made a real Sequel and a statement with this game (and the amount of awards shared with TLOU last year showed it). It's one of the biggest technical leaps I've seen between "sequels" made in the same generation (along with Uncharted 2).

The Euphoria engine (animation system) is better utilized, the lighting/water effects are breathtaking, the draw distance (while not perfect and limited by the PS360) is incredible, and the three-character structure was a terrific idea. We get an even better sense of openness and sandbox freedom, and more dynamic interplay/humor now with three characters available at any time. I'm glad they thought of this idea and have said they'll include it in their future games.

And what used to be muddier, blurrier, jankier and even 'primitive' is now sharper, livelier and way more polished in every way. Most devs probably would've gotten to a similar level with 2-3 games. Rockstar got there immediately, right after GTA IV production, and I'm still amazed at the detail and polish they packed into the game.

And what's exciting is Rockstar saying they never get to hundreds of things after each GTA game is finished (time and technology always holding them back), so I have no doubt next-gen GTA 6 will have more staggering improvements that will make the industry take notice again. I'm not waiting to see what Saint's Row 5 or Sleeping Dogs 2 or even Watch_Dogs 2 will do next for sandbox games. I'm waiting to see what Rockstar will do with GTA 6 first.

I also notice the ones who "hated" GTA: Vice City, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV and now GTA V, keep coming back and playing the newest one. They seem to be putting on this exaggerated, embittered online persona of a 'Rockstar-hater' but actually like the games, because they keep buying and playing every single one. That's good. Rockstar even made characters in GTA V mocking these types of split personalities. They got you covered dog. Everyone is considered and represented (and skewered) in Rockstar's world.

#23 Edited by Kevlar101 (6044 posts) -

Not to me since i wasn't hyped for it and dislike GTA in general

Your sig fits this thread perfectly hahaha

#24 Edited by biggest_loser (24029 posts) -

The mission design lacked innovation and was stale, padded out with endless driving and the characters were juvenile and unfunny.

It was a huge disappointment considering how much time they had to work on it.

Driving to point X and shooting guys is not good enough after 4 years.

Also lets get real about the three character thing. It was basically a prompt telling you to "switch characters now!" Hardly innovative and it also created a lot of problems with the story elements since you had Trevor doing side tasks that weren't in keeping with his character.

#25 Edited by mjorh (686 posts) -

Well if it wasn't goin' to come to PC i'd go with the last option but now it comes so it's a lot different scenario :

#26 Posted by dave123321 (33750 posts) -

I was satisfied

#27 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24834 posts) -

Hell no.

GTA V was hype and lived up to it.

#28 Edited by Allicrombie (25122 posts) -

short answer: yes with an if,

long answer: no, with a but.

dat misogyny.

am i doing it right?

#29 Posted by freedomfreak (39051 posts) -

Yes. But I still enjoyed it.

#30 Posted by 35cent (891 posts) -

It wasn't in my eyes. I thought it was fantastic and it was my game of the year last year. It's also one of my favourite games of the generation.

#31 Posted by musalala (2132 posts) -

My first GTA and one of my favorite games this whole Gen

#32 Posted by faizan_faizan (7846 posts) -

What the hell is this?

#33 Posted by MirkoS77 (7109 posts) -

GTA V is a monument to unrealized potential. They build these gigantic, highly detailed worlds, then handcuff the player to superficial shit. For the amount of work that goes into them, this is a damn shame. Perhaps VI will get it right.

#34 Edited by PAL360 (26695 posts) -

Not at all. It was a brilliant game!

#35 Posted by freedomfreak (39051 posts) -

What the hell is this?

A thread made by Gamespot user Kevlar101 on the System Wars board.

#36 Edited by Nuck81 (5834 posts) -

It had no end game, and the multiplayer was not worth the time it took for it to update every time you tried to sign on.

#37 Posted by Stringerboy (6944 posts) -

No where near as good as San Andreas, but you have to give mad props to Rockstar on the insane amount of effort and detail they put into the animations, graphics, writing, voice acting and open world. It's an outstounding technical achievement.

If the gameplay wasn't so clunky and the plot didn't fall apart in the latter half of the game then it would have been the best GTA.

#38 Posted by Netret0120 (2025 posts) -

Met expectations easily.

The story wasn't as good as GTA4's but the gameplay was far better and the world was more fun to explore. Only thing keeping it from surpassing San Andreas was the length and story.

San andreas is still the best gta game ever. The world was massive. The story was engaging and well paced unlike 5's. Las Venturas. Nuff said:-P

#39 Posted by sukraj (22066 posts) -

I didn't like the game in fact there isn't a Rockstar game that I do like.

#40 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3688 posts) -

I thought it was an incredible game and, yes, towering achievement. Rockstar could've made this a slight enhancement over GTA IV (and Episodes from Liberty City) to quickly cash in on the close of a Gen 7, but you can tell it's a major overhaul that they took seriously. Instead of a minor follow-up, Rockstar made a real Sequel and a statement with this game (and the amount of awards shared with TLOU last year showed it). It's one of the biggest technical leaps I've seen between "sequels" made in the same generation (along with Uncharted 2).

The Euphoria engine (animation system) is better utilized, the lighting/water effects are breathtaking, the draw distance (while not perfect and limited by the PS360) is incredible, and the three-character structure was a terrific idea. We get an even better sense of openness and sandbox freedom, and more dynamic interplay/humor now with three characters available at any time. I'm glad they thought of this idea and have said they'll include it in their future games.

And what used to be muddier, blurrier, jankier and even 'primitive' is now sharper, livelier and way more polished in every way. Most devs probably would've gotten to a similar level with 2-3 games. Rockstar got there immediately, right after GTA IV production, and I'm still amazed at the detail and polish they packed into the game.

And what's exciting is Rockstar saying they never get to hundreds of things after each GTA game is finished (time and technology always holding them back), so I have no doubt next-gen GTA 6 will have more staggering improvements that will make the industry take notice again. I'm not waiting to see what Saint's Row 5 or Sleeping Dogs 2 or even Watch_Dogs 2 will do next for sandbox games. I'm waiting to see what Rockstar will do with GTA 6 first.

I also notice the ones who "hated" GTA: Vice City, GTA: San Andreas, GTA IV and now GTA V, keep coming back and playing the newest one. They seem to be putting on this exaggerated, embittered online persona of a 'Rockstar-hater' but actually like the games, because they keep buying and playing every single one. That's good. Rockstar even made characters in GTA V mocking these types of split personalities. They got you covered dog. Everyone is considered and represented (and skewered) in Rockstar's world.

10/10 post. Agreed 100%.

#41 Edited by SecretPolice (21428 posts) -

Dunno, I waited so I can play it on a this gen system. :P

#42 Edited by sts106mat (18904 posts) -

enjoyed it while it lasted. once i'd finished the story mode i had no desire to continue.

Definitely wont be getting the remastered version.

#43 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3353 posts) -

short answer: yes with an if,

long answer: no, with a but.

dat misogyny.

am i doing it right?

I guess that equates to a "sort of"?

Is it that misogonistic?

#44 Edited by HadOne2Many (1225 posts) -

It was the defining game of last gen. An excellent way to go out. I can't wait to play through the story again on more powerful hardware.

Also for those who feel the game is misogynistic and lacks strong female characters, I disagree.

Exhibit A:

#45 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6872 posts) -

Anyone who thinks the game is way too short is delusional. Like seriously. 30 hours plus hours of side quests and screwing around and a massive online component is more than enough for $60.

#46 Posted by Boddicker (2486 posts) -

I ended up caving in and getting it a few months ago after completely skipping GTA4.

I got a moderate amount of enjoyment out of it (40-50 hours worth). Now I look at it and question why it's still on my HD.

I knew what I was getting into. Just a lot of fetch quests.

#47 Posted by Dire_Weasel (15961 posts) -

Loved it. It turned out to be one of the best games in the series, second only to Vice City, IMO.

#48 Posted by Animal-Mother (26510 posts) -

It was one of the best GTA games to date.

The online fell short of the mark however. Despite this will sound stupid, MW4 got leveling just perfect.

#49 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16664 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

Most genuine comment I've seen.

I'm surprised that anyone agrees with me. Most of the time in GTA discussions I see the term "king of open world" tossed around a lot.

#50 Edited by Guy_Brohski (284 posts) -

Best game of the generation, and best open world game of all time. I even liked it better than JC2. JC2 had more replay value, but GTA V's world is more refined and believable.