How would you rate Square Enix right now?

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

1 - being the lowest
5 - being the average.
10 - being execellent.

I would give them a 6. Not really that happy now as compared to their Ps1 days.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#2 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts
An 8, they slpped alittle bit, also with Enix being megred together along with other companies such as Eidos being bought out, I'm worried there games will slip alittle. Also they over-saturate the market with titles... I have around 8 SquareEnix titles to complete... many of which are RPGs.
Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Cronaroth
Member since 2004 • 3011 Posts
6-too many remakes-and too many lackluster console titles as of late. They were far better when they were seperate companies, it seemed like they had a soul then.
pikastar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 pikastar
Member since 2006 • 3405 Posts

I give them a 9 for their handheld titles. I love the remakes because it is allowing me to play games I never got to play before. And the remakes arent doing any harm, they are still coming out with new titles at a fairly steady pace. Their new games have been awesome, Crisis Core and TWEWY being the big ones. And with VP: CotP, Dissidia, KH: BbS, and FF Agito XIII, I expect good things from them.

On the console side, I give them a 7. Kind of average. Nothing really stands out. Not as good as PS1 and PS2 titles imo. Though I have yet to play Star Ocean 4.

Overall I give them an 8. Fantastic job on the portable side, keep it up! Hopefully when we get the 2 FFXIII titles things will look up for the console side.

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5 lightwarrior179
Member since 2006 • 3422 Posts

On the basis of what they've done after the merger, I would give Square Enix a measly 5. They might have had occasional wonders and might have taken brave steps forward but I think they have lost that certain charm and feeling of magic that Squaresoft and Enix titles had. Too many remakes,sometimes even remaking them again (FF1 and FF2) and hoping fans would be generous enough to donate them the money. Even their newer console ventures have suffered from technical issues. Where is the Square we knew from the PS1 days that used to be technical geniuses of their days?

Sorry Square. Reduce the number of remakes,start making quality and technically playable games and we will give you a 9/10 without any hesitation. ;)

danmccarthy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 danmccarthy2
Member since 2006 • 91 Posts

I couldn't agree more with the last comment.  Since the merger many of the games have lost the charm and spark that attracted me to them back in the mid 90's.  For example there is a big difference in quality from Kingdom Hearts to Kingdom Hearts 2.  The first being before the merger and the second one afterwards.  The first one felt very finely crafted with how the story flowed along with the addictive action system.  KH2 on the other hand, had a story that seemed to meander and the combat seemed more like you were being told what to do with all the dumb triangle button stuff.  I did like the game a lot, but I feel that you can't compare it to the first one.

I do have hope for their future though.  I recently played FFVII CC and FFXII RW and I really love them.  I'm looking forward to their upcoming titles like Dissidia, the two KH titles, and of course the FFXIII games.  I hope they can reclaim their glory days from the PS1 and early PS2 games.  As for now I'd give them a 5 or 6.  There's a lot of crap their churning out, but titles like Crisis Core and Revenant Wings give us a reason to hope for their come back.

bogan79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 bogan79
Member since 2005 • 47 Posts
I'm probably being generous here, but I'd give them a 10 although i haven't played any of their recent Xbox 360 titles yet but I want to play them all to see how they're doing.
Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Flipyap28
Member since 2008 • 3865 Posts
8 because I am one of the few people who love all the remakes, I was either not born or very young when most of these games came out so remakes seem pretty cool to me, I love Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest now. The fact that they make a lot of remakes might please old fans or new fans, so thats why they do it. A long time ago, I just saw Square Enix (Squaresoft) as the little logo which came up during FFVII which I didn't really care about being around 7/8 (lol, if it werent for pokemon, I wouldn't of enjoyed this RPG because PM blue gave me my turn based patience). Now I love SE and love the fact that I can see all these updated classics, appeals to me, now I get the experiences you got when you played those games.
SchumiF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SchumiF1
Member since 2004 • 6044 Posts

Currently I would say an eight aswell. It is cool that they are releasing old school remake games for those that haven't played them or their original game broke, stolen, etc lol. But it seems that's the majority of what they are releasing.

I  would agree to an extent what was said previously that maybe Square and Enix were putting out better products when they were on their own. But of course I don't have crystal ball so we'll never know if this is plausible or not.

I think not just SE but all video game makers and movie people are not taking anymore ventures into new ideas. 95% of what is being put out is either a prequel or sequel. I can understand that its a way for them to cash in on a proven name/game/idea but c'mon and sometimes they are really good. I don't believe that there aren't any people out there with something fresh and new.

cloud31blunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 cloud31blunt
Member since 2007 • 624 Posts

Good Question!

They are doing a smart thing moneywise by remaking old classics so kudos on that but having said that their recent titles such as infinite undescovery and the last remnant havnt been up to the standard of their past games.

So id have to give them an overall 7/10 as im enjoying the remakes and Twewy but not so much the latest console titles. I think they may be missing hironobu a bit!

Bigcol1611

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#11 Bigcol1611
Member since 2008 • 796 Posts

I would have to give them 8/10 as i seem to be enjoying all the handheld stuff at the moment!!

Its great to play some of the re-makes, even if you didnt play them the first time around and with dragon quest 9 and kingdom hearts on the handheld scene, that mark could easily be a 9 (if only the home console scene was a little better!!!):)

initiald411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 initiald411
Member since 2005 • 787 Posts

4 console wise, they need to get their **** together on that note I knew it would be an issue with some of the statments they made reguarding the statements they obviously had lost faith in their games to move consoles an also in their fanbase.

PSP wise I'd say a 7 right now maybe an 8 or better once dissidia finally comes stateside though its taking to long an also agito looks promising.

SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 SymonDezyn
Member since 2006 • 4927 Posts

9/10 - i think there is a lot of nostalgia attached to the games of old, which tarnishes people's opinions of the current games coming out, and since i am aware of that i take not into consideration my nostalgic feelings of the old games, but how i feel when a NEW game is announced.

Square Enix is one of the few companies i will, without question, buy ANY game they release for consoles i own (with the exception of Kingdom Hearts), and i get that butterflies in my tummy still when i see a trailer for a new game, same as i did back in the old FF days.... maybe more so now.

Remakes are a way to keep them financing newer, more risky projects, so don't poo-poo them; besides, there are lots of fans who love the chance to play games they never could before :)

I don't give them a perfect score, only because there is always room for improvement. Some GAMES i would give a ten, but others maybe only an 8, so overall they still get an "A" on their report card from me ^__^

lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lightwarrior179

9/10 - i think there is a lot of nostalgia attached to the games of old, which tarnishes people's opinions of the current games coming out, and since i am aware of that i take not into consideration my nostalgic feelings of the old games, but how i feel when a NEW game is announced.

Square Enix is one of the few companies i will, without question, buy ANY game they release for consoles i own (with the exception of Kingdom Hearts), and i get that butterflies in my tummy still when i see a trailer for a new game, same as i did back in the old FF days.... maybe more so now.

Remakes are a way to keep them financing newer, more risky projects, so don't poo-poo them; besides, there are lots of fans who love the chance to play games they never could before :)

I don't give them a perfect score, only because there is always room for improvement. Some GAMES i would give a ten, but others maybe only an 8, so overall they still get an "A" on their report card from me ^__^

SymonDezyn

Remaking games is a good thing indeed as you stated it gives those who joined the "SE gang" late a chance to play the older games. But then there isn't a total necessity to make FF1 and FF2 on every handheld that comes across you. It was released on GBA and then again on PSP. And they could kill all this hassle for once and for all by releasing all these games for WiiWare and PSN/XBL.  

lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lightwarrior179

I couldn't agree more with the last comment.  Since the merger many of the games have lost the charm and spark that attracted me to them back in the mid 90's.  For example there is a big difference in quality from Kingdom Hearts to Kingdom Hearts 2.  The first being before the merger and the second one afterwards.  The first one felt very finely crafted with how the story flowed along with the addictive action system.  KH2 on the other hand, had a story that seemed to meander and the combat seemed more like you were being told what to do with all the dumb triangle button stuff.  I did like the game a lot, but I feel that you can't compare it to the first one.

I do have hope for their future though.  I recently played FFVII CC and FFXII RW and I really love them.  I'm looking forward to their upcoming titles like Dissidia, the two KH titles, and of course the FFXIII games.  I hope they can reclaim their glory days from the PS1 and early PS2 games.  As for now I'd give them a 5 or 6.  There's a lot of crap their churning out, but titles like Crisis Core and Revenant Wings give us a reason to hope for their come back.

danmccarthy2

I totally agree with him on what he said about the difference of quality and the "FEEL" of the two Kingdom Hearts game. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first KH. It was a good,enjoyable game with interesting gameplay and loveable Disney characters. The second game had an annoying camera and that totally killed the fun for me and made me hate the series. 

Avatar image for sleepinglion987
sleepinglion987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 sleepinglion987
Member since 2009 • 1640 Posts
i say 9, for one simple reason, most of their games got a 9-10 average on GS!!
roxaslordXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 roxaslordXIII
Member since 2009 • 412 Posts
i give it a ()() thats infinity
nim22ama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nim22ama
Member since 2005 • 139 Posts

I'm basing this only on PS360 generation.

I would give them a 4/10 on the consoles.

I'm a long time fan and I've played almost everything Square related. Why this low score? Becuase they have been doing not so good this console generation. We have Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean: TLH both being developed by Tri-Ace. Both mediocre games. Then we have The Last Remnant - a game I absolutely love no matter what anyone else says. What other RPGs have they released: FF VII on PSN and soon FF I on PSN. In Japan they have released even more classic RPGs.

My biggest problem with Square Enix of today is their wish to appeal to western gamers and make non RPG games. I visit the official site and I see a RTS game on the front. I don't want this sh**! Nier, Order of War etc. I love SE because they are a good RPG company, focus on them instead of trying something you are not good at. There are four reasons Why I currently keep my faith in them: Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy vs XIII, Final Fantasy XIII Agito and Final Fantasy XIV.

I wish I could say I was looking forward to Front Mission, but they ruined my SRPG and made it into a third person shooter and the developers they chose for this game are mediocre, the same goes with Nier mediocre developers.

I would give them 10/10 on handhelds.

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy VII:CC and Final Fantasy Tactics: TWoL on PSP. I'm planning on getting Star Ocea 1 & 2. Their DS games are also good. TWEWY, FF T:A2 and upcoming DQ IX. Remake of Chrono Trigger, the game never made it to Europe and now people over here can play it. their remakes of FF III and FF IV aren't just remakes. They have completely redone graphics and other minor things. Now younger players can play their classic games. I have no complaints on how SE does on the handhelds, I only have one wish: Give me Final Fantasy Tactics 2. Why this game is not reality is beyond me.

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts

Next year, a 10. Right now, an 8.

Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Flipyap28

5/10 on consoles. Star Ocean looks good and Infinte Undiscovery and The Last remnant were alright...although Last Remnant got dull after a while.

handhelds are a 9/10: Love TWEWY and love FFIV. I just wish there isn't too many SE games which are not that great like Crystal Chronicles

Sqaure Enix just needs need to know how to create games for 360 and actaully have a bit of motivation.

Plus has anyone else noted how Oblivion and Mass Effect have better graphics, better gameplay, longer stories (or more content), more voice acting, better cutsenes etc. and these games are only one disc! When Infinte Undiscovery on the other hand is 2...why? its so short and has one high quality cutscene which is less than FFX...

I think Sqaure and other companies need to take some 360 lessons when it comes to creating games for it...

nim22ama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nim22ama
Member since 2005 • 139 Posts

Western companies have a better knowledge on how to work on 360. Square and it's affiliates like Tri-Ace have struggled this generation. MistalwI think they will learn as time goes on.ker and some other japanese companies have also struggled. Lost Odyssey was 4 discs, that was also mindblowing. I've played some good RPGs this gen and in the end Sqaure Enix will do better and better. (I hope.)

Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Flipyap28
true, I wish SE would become more like namco, they have two of the best JRPGs; Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata, and as IRC they are both 1 disc games...
ExireHG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 ExireHG
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts

true, I wish SE would become more like namco, they have two of the best JRPGs; Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata, and as IRC they are both 1 disc games...Flipyap28

And they're quite a decent length I'd say. Playing ToV, I'm 80+ hours in and almost at the end of Part 2. Granted I can be a little slow, but it was enough to have to switch batteries for my controller. Nowhere near one playthrough yet, quite impressive for one disc I'd say.

As for SE, early on just before/after the release of the 'next gen's' my rating would be a bit low. There was FFX-2, then FFXI. While the two of them were entertaining, I felt they were relatively major mistakes on the FF franchise. FFX needed no sequel and while XI is a decent MMO, it should have been Final Fantasy Online. Each numbered FF should and has had its own original aura and feel with it. But with XI being an MMO, that was ruined. After that was XII which I hated. Some love it, I most certainly did not. I couldn't stand it so much I had to finish watching the cut scenes on youtube and the ending wasn't even all that satisfying. Also, while I love Vincent Valentine...a lot, DoC was just bad. 

After all of that though, they were raised up a bit in my eyes. Crisis Core, while pure fan service, I felt was done very well and is a fun game, despite its level design flaws. Being a prequel, its very solid and a great game even as a stand alone. A perfect segway into the original. I also am feeling increasingly confident with FFXIII the more I see of it. It looks like they're finally going the right way I've been hoping for. It's looking like a great game. Versus also looks interesting, even though its a long ways away. I'm also highly anticipating Dissidia, I can't wait to get my hands on that. 

But...they went down a notch again once I heard about FFXIV, doing the same stupid thing with FFXI again. Not to mention its being released possibly the same year as FFXIII. So technically, if luck may have it, it could be released BEFORE FFXIII? That's redundancy at its peak. Just...ugh. But I've heard little about it, so maybe it isn't all that sucktastic. Despite my feelings on XIV, the recent positives are very nice. While just a few years ago, I would have given up almost all hope on SE, they seem to be slowly making their own comeback, especially amongst the FF fans. But maybe its just me.

lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lightwarrior179

5/10 on consoles. Star Ocean looks good and Infinte Undiscovery and The Last remnant were alright...although Last Remnant got dull after a while.

handhelds are a 9/10: Love TWEWY and love FFIV. I just wish there isn't too many SE games which are not that great like Crystal Chronicles

Sqaure Enix just needs need to know how to create games for 360 and actaully have a bit of motivation.

Plus has anyone else noted how Oblivion and Mass Effect have better graphics, better gameplay, longer stories (or more content), more voice acting, better cutsenes etc. and these games are only one disc! When Infinte Undiscovery on the other hand is 2...why? its so short and has one high quality cutscene which is less than FFX...

I think Sqaure and other companies need to take some 360 lessons when it comes to creating games for it...

Flipyap28

I agree with you dude! I mean PS3 is believed to be one tough and complex console to make games on. Then why is SE finding so hard to make games on 360? That too bug-free?

I think Bethesda or BioWare should give some of SE's programmers a training session on "How to make a 360 game without spoiling the game?" 

Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Flipyap28
[QUOTE="Flipyap28"]

lightwarrior179

I agree with you dude! I mean PS3 is believed to be one tough and complex console to make games on. Then why is SE finding so hard to make games on 360? That too bug-free?

I think Bethesda or BioWare should give some of SE's programmers a training session on "How to make a 360 game without spoiling the game?" 

Yeah, I am hoping that since SE decided to come over and take over Lara Croft's developer, they will start to become more involved in the west... and actually learn how to make games on the 360.

I dont want to say this....but... I am scared that they will muck up the port of FFXIII to 360 which would be really sad because I don't plan on getting a PS3 soon and I would really like the achievements

lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lightwarrior179
[QUOTE="lightwarrior179"][QUOTE="Flipyap28"]

Flipyap28

Yeah, I am hoping that since SE decided to come over and take over Lara Croft's developer, they will start to become more involved in the west... and actually learn how to make games on the 360.

I dont want to say this....but... I am scared that they will muck up the port of FFXIII to 360 which would be really sad because I don't plan on getting a PS3 soon and I would really like the achievements

You voiced every 360 FF fans concerns. I too fear that SE might screw up the 360 version of FFXIII which would suck big time. I hope SE wouldn't do something as awful as that after all the pain and delays that they made to make the 360 port. 

I would have got a PS3 if FFXIII hadn't come to 360.Â