Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts

After really thinking hard, I cannot believe how many plotholes are in this game. It goes to show anything with time travel is gonna screw the continuity over. I found 5 plotholes so far, one being an obvious one.

1. Classic Sonic grows up to be Modern Sonic. In Generations, he gets pulled out of Green Hill Zone by Time Eater into the white void. Once they beat him, he goes back to Green Hill Zone and becomes Modern Sonic years later. Wouldn't that mean Modern Sonic should remember how to kill Time Eater?
  2. Classic Robotnik gets trapped with Modern Robotnik when they lose, so how is he in Sonic 1?
  3. Classic Tails knows Classic Sonic in Generations, yet they both get sent to Green Hill Zone. This would mean he knew Tails before Sonic 2, even though they never met in Sonic 1.
  4. Silver and Blaze exist in the Sonic 06 section, but that game got erased from the Sonic Timeline. However, both characters still knew Sonic (I say both because Blaze's Rush canon is pretty much null and void thanks to 06).
  5. In Sonic 1 there are six emeralds, but in Generations there is seven. Seeing all this took place BEFORE Sonic 1 (Classic Sonic got pulled out of Green Hill Zone before it started), that would mean Classic Sonic first got Super Sonic in Generations, not Sonic 2. But then suddenly there are six again when he returns.

I'll post more if I find any.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
You overthink way too much.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#3 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Well most Sonic games have giant plotholes. Look at 2006 where Silver basically destroyed the canon of the entire series when he gave Elise the Blue Emerald. And any time you get a game involving time travel, it's going to be a mess because as Yahtzee pointed out there are various rules involving this....

Is this like 12 Monkeys where you can't change $%?

Is this like Back to the Future where you can change it but it's pretty laid back about it?

Or is it like Terminator where first you can change s$#@ then you can't, then you get a horrible TV show and Christian Bale yells at people?

SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts

1.He forgot.He's not the first game character who did this,considering Mario and Luigi forgot everything they did with themselves did in PiT.

2.They found the door they were looking for and got out.

3.Surely Sonic must have gone through at least Sonic 1 and some of 2?I mean,he knows Robotnik,and Tails.He was probably just running through Green Hil again,which is possible since its somewhat different this time.

In fact,i'm willing to say it happened even after 2.Eggman wasn't surprised when he saw Knuckles or Amy.

4.Blaze and Silver have met in the new timeline.The entire 06 thing will still repeat with Classic Sonic.The true paradox is Blaze remembering Crises City.ULTIMATE TIME PARADOX!

5.If 1 and 2 already happened,that is false.If 1 didn't happen yet,that would be true.There was always 6 emeralds because one is missing.

Oh yeah,wasn't the moon not half blown up during the Shadow Fight?

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Soniczero1993

On the topic of emeralds this is a weird but possible thing. Silver gave Elise the blue emerald, causing a warp in time with all the emeralds. After doing so, time was changed that there would only be six emeralds in Sonic 1. But Time Eater pulled all seven into Generations, restoring the 7th's existence until Sonic managed to grab the blue one again and save the continuity.

Or some BS. I hate time travel.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts

Most of your holes can be plugged as follows:

Generations doesn't take place before Sonic 1. It takes place after Sonic 2 - hence the Classic Tails and the "oh, I remember this place" stuff. Just because he got pulled out of Green Hill doesn't mean it was the first time he had been there. In fact, it would have to have been the opposite, since Classic Robotnik says he's been defeated by Sonic multiple times already!

1. This is why I hate time travel stories. Nobody ever covers this gaping plothole. *sigh*

2. See above. Also, they get out at some point, which they'll probably explain in the next game.

3. See above.

4. They know Silver from Sonic Rivals, and the Rush games can exist without 06 - Blaze was just born in that world, not sent there. The bigger question is why is Crisis City on the timeline at all, but if you go with a branching theory of time and space, it could world.

5. See above.

I still hate the unstable time loop resulting from #1, but knowledge Classic Sonic would have gained is the only real serious hole on your list. Still a pretty bad one, though.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
'Tis called retconning, everyone is doing it these days. When you started, you had nice ideas, and plans, and thoughts, and put them into your games/movies/books/mega-franchise. Now, you want to expand it and make more money, but these silly little plots of the past get in the way. Solution: Ignore them, rewrite them, make them again in the image you'd have done then if alive as you are now. #1's still pretty big though, no matter how you rewrite history, it stays.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Soniczero1993
Aw yeah phc, you fill those holes.
speedhog58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 speedhog58
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

i ACTUALLY have the strtagy guide to generations (and yet still haven't found reach for the stars) and it explains that crisis city exists because of the time eater causing a rip in reality which causes access to the erased timeline and that the silver you FIGHT is from after he is told to to kill sonic but before he travels back in time, it may not be COMPLETLY acurate since silver was sent to the past immediatly after being set up but it covers up a majority of the plothole.

When it comes to Blaze remembering crisis city though...I can only assume that if not lazy writing (highly likley) then it was the 06 Blaze, i can back this up because it the book explains how shadow and the silver you FIGHT (not the one you speak to) are misplaced in time so it would make sense that the same had happened to Blaze since in 06 she doesn't actually die 

DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DocEggmanNega
Member since 2008 • 1628 Posts
I thought this was a joke topic, considering the countless plotholes that litter the entirety of the series. But no sir, you analyzed them. I'm more saddened by wasted potential for jokesand stuff. The story died right after Chemical Plant. Did a comedic writer leave or die or something? Leaving the programmers to make the rest of the awful story? Oh well, fun gameplaymakes up for it.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Soniczero1993
Funny, it's saying I never posted here even though I made the topic. Until now anyway.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
This was made during a glitched post period. Thus, it says that for most everyone.
DocEggmanNega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DocEggmanNega
Member since 2008 • 1628 Posts
Gamespot better know of your tremendous contributions, damnit!
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#14 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
Arguing the canonicitiy of the plot of Generations is going to go nowhere fast. :P I thought we learned with other games that timey wimey stuff is not to be messed with!