-SpikyBlueHero-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 -SpikyBlueHero-
Member since 2007 • 2176 Posts

Hey, look. Sega just remembered that they have the ability to sell Game Gear games on the US Virtual Console. Only took them a mere 14 months to jog their memory. :roll:

Here's what's coming our way "soon" (lol), announced via Nintendo Direct: 

• Columns
  • Crystal Warriors
  • Defenders of Oasis
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  • G-LOC: Air Battles
  • Shining Force II: The Sword of Hajya
  • Sonic Blast
  • Sonic Drift 2
  • Sonic Labyrinth
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Tails Adventure
  • Vampire: Master of Darkness

Sonic Labyrinth, I'm coming for you, my sweet love.

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts

Who here has played Columns!

*Raises hand* 

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
I have, on the Genesis itself for that matter. I prefer other puzzle games, but it wasn't bad.
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 demoman_chaos
Member since 2006 • 13896 Posts
Columns isn't bad, but still waiting on Knux Chaotix.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#5 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Columns wasn't bad for a Tetris knockoff nor was Mean Bean Machine. I like good puzzle games though I got both Zuma and Bejeweled on my Iphone.

Tails Adventure I do think is somewhat underated as a Sonic spinoff. Yeah it's not a high speed platformer but it pushed the GG's graphics to their max and not bad for what is essetinally a Metroid-vania type of game that involves backtracking and exploration. If you're a Tails fan who hasn't played it, I'd say it's worth a look. Considering it was one of the few "Killer" Game Gear apps.

GG Sonic 2 is worth it just to play what is considered the hardest "non broken" Sonic game in the series. It's like old school "Nintendo hard." See if you can get past the first boss. Oh and if you don't collect all the chaos Emeralds, Tails dies. :D

Sonic Drift 1 and 2 are prime examples of "bad Mario kart clones" and this is amazing considering how great Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed is.

Yeah but I'm more interested in the two Zelda:Oracle games coming on May 30 as they are the only Zelda games I haven't played.

demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 demoman_chaos
"Killer" Game Gear apps.kbaily
Please tell me you did NOT say that... please tell me it isn't so.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kbaily

[QUOTE="kbaily"] "Killer" Game Gear apps.demoman_chaos

I use that term VERY loosely as the Game Gear's "killer apps" could be counted on one hand. You know, like the Vita. (ba dum tish)

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kbaily

Anyone see this. It is so true why you're better off playing Sonic on a device with buttons!

hF294F961

Probably not as bad with a tablet but yeah Sega, stop porting old games to mobile devices.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
Yeah, um, no, they're not going to. You see, some people actually disagree with you (if you can even understand that concept) and LIKE playing classic Sonic games on their mobile devices, warts and all.
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 demoman_chaos

[QUOTE="demoman_chaos"][QUOTE="kbaily"] "Killer" Game Gear apps.kbaily

I use that term VERY loosely as the Game Gear's "killer apps" could be counted on one hand. You know, like the Vita. (ba dum tish)

Cartridge based games should NEVER be called applications. They are games or carts.
Avatar image for -SpikyBlueHero-
-SpikyBlueHero-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -SpikyBlueHero-
[QUOTE="kbaily"]

[QUOTE="demoman_chaos"][QUOTE="kbaily"] "Killer" Game Gear apps.demoman_chaos

Cartridge based games should NEVER be called applications. They are games or carts.

"Killer carts!" *Dun dun duuuuuunnn!*

(And Kbaily somehow finds a way to bash the poor little Vita yet again. *disappointed sigh*)

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts
The Vita is terrible. it should go die.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kbaily

Well you know pretty much from the N64 on, I had to listen to everyone bash Nintendo of how they're always "dying" and how "they need to go third party like Sega" and how despite it dominating the sales, the Wii getting called every name in the book so yes the fact that the Vita's sales stink and has no must have exclusive games, gives us Nintendo fans something to kick around. Turnabout is fair play.

Most of this also isn't being directed at a person rather than the gamer culture/industry as a whole. I wrote a blog.

http://www.gamespot.com/users/kbaily/

But getting back on topic, I hope Sega doesn't rerelease that god awful port of Sonic Spinball on the Game Gear which should be avoided at all costs. Though I wonder if the weird Tails Skypatrol will make it.

I actually owned a Game Gear as a kid. A decision I greatly regret. I owned an SNES but saved my allowance for weeks for the GG and I remember when it had a price drop from $149-$129. Here I saw that pea green Gameboy and though "bleh." This was the first and last time I ever bought a console based on graphical power. Anyone who had a Game Gear will tell you it was not really "portable" as it went through six AA batteries in a matter of hours and you ended up getting the AC adaptor and car adaptor. I will just say thank God we live in an age of rechargeable battery packs.

Avatar image for -SpikyBlueHero-
-SpikyBlueHero-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -SpikyBlueHero-

Well, I can understand the bitterness from that perspective, but at the very least you can't argue with a near-flawless Rayman Origins experience on the go! ;) Plus Nintendo's been dominating the dedicated handheld space for the past 20+ years, so the competition usually doesn't stand a chance, unlike the much more competitive home console market where Nintendo has obviously struggled at times. (GameCube.) The PSP was lucky it sold as much as it did and how long its lifespan was.

Congrats on your blog getting featured on GS' home page. :)

lol A $20 price drop was a huge deal back when you're a kid with very little cash to spare. Story of my youth. :lol: I happened to find a Game Gear at a garage sale back in 2006 for a few bucks. In retrospect, it was one of the most important gaming moments in my life, since I discovered a passion for retro games that I'd never felt before, which subsequently led to some retrogaming research online that continues to this day. :) As for that Game Gear, the screen eventually stopped working and has since been donated. :P

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#15 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
Columms is good but it's no Tetris beater and Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine was fun.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kbaily

Here's what the Eshop is showing for Sonic's GG titles though many are "Coming Soon."

Sonic the Hedgehog GG- I owned this on the GG years ago. It's a very watered down version of the Genesis game. It doesn't really have the sense of speed it's 16 bit counterpart has. No branching paths and it has special stage but the Chaos Emeralds are hidden in each level where the special stage is just a place to rack up extra lives and continues.

Sonic Triple Trouble- Sonic's best game on the Sega handheld. Gives you the option to play as Sonic or Tails. Knuckles and Metal Sonic are both in it. Easily worth any fans time.

Sonic Blast- One of the last Game Gear games ever made released alongside Sonic 3D Blast. It was the one GG Sonic game I never played. It had DKC-esque models of Sonic and Knuckles and is actually really rare to find. Cloud reviewed it some time ago and said it was not bad.

Sonic Labyrinth- By now this one is as famous as Sonic 06 for being pretty bad. Mainly Sonic goes slow and you have to work through maze levels with just the spindash.

Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine: Basically the Sonic series answer to Dr. Mario. Originally Pyo Pop, it was redone in the US as a tie in to the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon replacing the anime characters with Robotnick and his various robot henchmen. I played it on the Mega Collection and as puzzle games go, it's pretty fun. Kinda surprised this didn't get ported to mobile devices.

Actually the Shining Force one doesn't look half bad. Reminds me of Fire Emblem. Though I got a ton of stuff to play right now.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kbaily

One of my personal favorites is available on the 3DS shop now. Tails Adventure a spinoff that's a bit polarizing among Sonic fans as with a lot of spinoffs. Some like me think it was a creative spinoff for a character deserving of it, others think it was slow and confusing.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/06/fly-solo-in-tails-adventure-now-on-nintendo-3ds-eshop/

The story of this one goes, well there's two. One says it happened before Sonic and Tails met as Sonic never appears outside being an item to let Tails spindash, another says it was in between adventures while Tails was on vacation. Possibly while Sonic was off stuck in a maze in Sonic Labyrinth.

It's more of a Metroid-vania type game. You don't run fast through levels. It's more RPG, exploratory based. It involves a good deal of backtracking and using items you collect to advance. Some items are useful the whole time like the remote robot and bombs, others you'll use for one area like the wrench or night vision goggles and others are useless and only collect them for 100% completion.

If you're a Tails fan, I recommend it.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kbaily

Another title was added. This time it's the insanely hard GG version of Sonic 2.

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/06/27/game-gear-titles-on-nintendo-3ds-eshop-three-more-for-the-road/

Hardest non-broken Sonic game.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chocolate1325
I wonder if Sonic 2 GG was ment to be like ment to be harder. Heck the first boss is a pain.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
I wonder if Sonic 2 GG was ment to be like ment to be harder. Heck the first boss is a pain.chocolate1325
The whole game is dang near impossible. The lack of screen room on the GG games really, really hurt their playability. Of all the ones I've tried, the only one I've liked is Tails Adventure. I'm pretty sure the biggest factor there is that Tails Adventure is slow, so the fact that you can't see very far ahead of you is never a problem. The Sonic GG games limited frame punishes speed, which sucks.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chocolate1325
Apart from Sonic Labrtyhn which just downright sucks.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kbaily

Sega's also rereleasing various Sega classics in 3D.

http://gengame.net/2013/07/sega-announces-sega-3d-classic-series-for-nintendo-3ds/

But honestly I'm wondering if since the WiiU can support them now if we're going to see these games come to the WiiU:

• Sonic Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic the Fighters

I won't hold my breath on Sonic 4 ep II given most of us have forgotten about it by now and once again, still waiting on Knuckles Chaotix Sega.