What system was your first online game experience on?

• 85 results
Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll What system was your first online game experience on? (101 votes)

Gamecube 0%
Wii 2%
Wii U 0%
Saturn 0%
Dreamcast 6%
PlayStation 2 7%
PlayStation 3 6%
PlayStation 4 0%
Xbox 9%
Xbox 360 11%
Xbox One 0%
PC 54%
DS 2%
3DS 0%
PSP 1%
Vita 0%
Mobile 1%
Other 1%
I haven't played a game online 0%

I was thinking back on the original Xbox Live recently and this topic popped into my mind. Where did some of you get your first taste of online gaming? Or did you at all? I've tried to include just about every option I could down to the Saturn NetLink (overkill at a whopping 19 options!) I'm not sure if things like the Super Nintendo/Famicom Satellaview or Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Sega Channel had an actual online play option (all I know of was data distribution) so these were omitted for the list. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone at all even had the chance to use those though.

While online play initially feels like a rather non-retro feature thinking back it's been with us for a decent amount of time, down to titles such as the first Quake or Phantasy Star Online. This passing generation may have made the concept of online gaming mainstream but have you been connecting to other gamers afar for over a system generation or two, or perhaps you just started in these last few years? I'm curious to see how many people started on something earlier than the Wii/PS3/360.

Feel free to share your earliest online gaming experiences! For me it was Phantasy Star Online that started the revolution. I still remember the battles against Dark Falz with my old teammates then kicking back and bothering them in the Pioneer 2 lobby.

• 
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Added by Admin because stupid poll bug.

I was thinking back on the original Xbox Live recently and this topic popped into my mind. Where did some of you get your first taste of online gaming? Or did you at all? I've tried to include just about every option I could down to the Saturn NetLink (overkill at a whopping 19 options!) I'm not sure if things like the Super Nintendo/Famicom Satellaview or Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Sega Channel had an actual online play option (all I know of was data distribution) so these were omitted for the list. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone at all even had the chance to use those though.

While online play initially feels like a rather non-retro feature thinking back it's been with us for a decent amount of time, down to titles such as the first Quake or Phantasy Star Online. This passing generation may have made the concept of online gaming mainstream but have you been connecting to other gamers afar for over a system generation or two, or perhaps you just started in these last few years? I'm curious to see how many people started on something earlier than the Wii/PS3/360.

Feel free to share your earliest online gaming experiences! For me it was Phantasy Star Online that started the revolution. I still remember the battles against Dark Falz with my old teammates then kicking back and bothering them in the Pioneer 2 lobby.

PC in the 90s. As for consoles it was Xbox.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

360 I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Sega Channel.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

PC in 1998 with Ultima Online

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

PC,no contest. it's a wondrous machine back in the 90's,I have internet access back in like '97 or so,sad is with the advancement of the Internet,I used it for official business purposes only

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

PC, but I hope to see some DC votes show up!

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

PC for me, though all I played online was Rainbow Six until PS3.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts
@xantufrog said:

That's something I'm particularly curious of, it's a shame there were even more online enabled games in Japan than here it seemed. I'm even more curious to see if anybody started with the Saturn NetLink also. Saturn Bomberman and Duke 3D online on a console seemed like an interesting feat for the time of their release. Anyhow anyone remember what their first (or earliest recalled) online games were? I only see Ultima Online mentioned so far.

Also Heirren what was the Sega Channel like? I guess I should've made it an option after all. xD Was there any sort of co-op/competitive stuff on the Sega Channel or was it just a distribution platform? I recall MegaMan: The Wily Wars and Alien Solider were only released there officially for the North American region.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Including PC in this list was probably not the best idea, since it would have been more interesting to see what the first game system was that people went online with. I chose PC, Runescape was one of the first online games I played in like April 2003, though I can't recall if I had actually managed to play any prior to that.

Before that, I was really interested in playing Phantasy Star Online on the Gamecube, but had never got to on that system. I did get to check out a Dreamcast in a store once and it had Chu Chu Rocket and some other games, though I really can't remember if they had any sort of online functionality.

The first system I got to play online was the PS2, but I was unable to get FFXI to work with the connection I had at that time. I messed around on a demo I had for Frequency, but that was about it - kind of a disappointing first experience with online play. The first game system I got online and actually played online was my Nintendo DS Lite. After that, the Wii.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Exceed20XX

Perhaps not but I felt like tackling the gamut of capable platforms despite knowing things would very likely skew PC. Of equal interest to me is really what games people started out on for said platforms and perhaps what it was like for them.

For me stepping onto PSO the first time was like a revelation. I was probably the biggest gamer in the area I lived and often felt like there was a drought for more players. It sort of came as a breath of fresh air seeing I didn't need to rely on just those around me and I think it really helped in some ways. It took the whole "all walks of life" thing that much further. FFXI was also my second MMO. I recall a decent bit about my early days on it.

Also on a side note yes, ChuChu Rocket was online. I think it may have even been the first online DC game. Lastly, is that avatar a piece of art from ALttP?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Amiga

Spectrum Holobyte's Falcon

1 versus 1 dogfight via modem to modem.

1989 or 1990.

Later, I found out two Amigas can be connected via null modem cable. 1 v 1 dogfights with no lag. Awesome for the time.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#12 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

PC... back in dial up days.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Exceed20XX

@jun_aka_pekto: Now that's pushing far back! I wonder how much more could've preceded the Amiga online. I've only heard of perhaps one other sort of online game dating back somewhere in the mid 80s.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

Started with PC online,the Medal of Honor franchise..THEN when I bought the Xbox at launch I started with Return to Castle Wolfensein..

reifresca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 reifresca
Member since 2010 • 351 Posts

Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast was my first online game. Didn't keep playing it for long, but it was fun.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jun_aka_pekto

@Exceed20XX said:

@jun_aka_pekto: Now that's pushing far back! I wonder how much more could've preceded the Amiga online. I've only heard of perhaps one other sort of online game dating back somewhere in the mid 80s.

Falcon for the Mac came out in 1987 and in 1988 for the Atari ST. They probably had modem-modem play as well.

The PC? Most PCs would have been using 4-color CGA unless people had the moolah for 16-color EGA. VGA was still quite rare. Back then, most computer gamers stuck to the Motorola crowd. But, within a couple of years, the PC passed them all. DIY was simply too attractive.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

PC. Return to Castle Wolfenstein's MP was awesome.

Fezzinator101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 Fezzinator101
Member since 2011 • 195 Posts

PS3. I think the first game I ever played online was Resistance: Fall of Man or MotorStorm.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

PC was my first with Wolfenstein ET, then a couple of other games on the pc followed. Like Quake 3 for example. The next online experience for me was the xbox 360

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

Quake 3 was the first online game I played.

EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts

The first game I played online was at my cousins house on his PC and it was Quake 3. I sucked lol. But my first online experience on my own was Socom II on PS2 and that game was addicting. I had the greatest time playing the Socom games online when I was kid.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Mine was Xbox 360 since it did not require a credit card like the first Xbox. But the first on-line game I played was on PC. But it was a friends gaming computer so that does not count.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Renegade_Fury  Online
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I think playing Diablo on the PC was my first real online experience, but I honestly don't remember.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

I started with MoH:AA on the PC but I did most of my online gaming on the XBox. My first online XBox game was MotoGP (beta disc) and I was playing a 16 player race with my Dad using splitscreen. I was honestly more blown away by the XBox than I was with the PC for online gaming. I didn't like the server based matchmaking and all the mods that people would use + I liked how everyone had a mic on the XBox. Games like MechAssault, PGR2, Unreal Championship, Crimson Skies, Phantasy Star Online and Halo 2 were so much better than what most PC games had to offer.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Exceed20XX

The original Xbox Live was a pleasant surprise. I don't recall playing many original Xbox games but the Live service definitely gave me a reason to enjoy the few titles I did get to on it. Also nice to see a few PSO players show up.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

The original Xbox. It made playing Halo 2 one of the best experiences ever.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56103 Posts

Xbox with Halo 2.

damoneyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 damoneyman
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts

NBA 2K1 for Dreamcast. I was a basketball junkie

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 1

#29 GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

Runescape on the pc

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

PC.

Technically Deathmatch in Doom, But I was six at the time I didn't really register I was playing with other people until I played Deathmatch in Quake.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

my first online web browser was with the saturn but my first online gaming experience was capcom vs. snk 2 on xbox.

Avatar image for thecouchpotater
TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheCouchPotater
Member since 2015 • 239 Posts

My first online gaming experience was probably the 'Gemstone III' MUD in the early 90s. Also did a fair bit of direct dial 1v1 Doom multiplayer when that released. First online gaming experience on a console was rigging up the original Xbox to play Halo (pre xbox live).

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

PC but on consoles ps3

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

Gears of War with school friends on the Xbox 360.

Good times.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

PC for first network game (Duke Nukem 3D over 2 base T co-axial ethernet using Novel Netware Light) and then PC again for first game over dialup.

Since these platforms didn't all get online/released at the same time, odds are anyone older than a certain age will just say PC since it was the first platform to get online.

@xantufrog said:

I did a lot of online with my DC, it just wasn't my first. I still have my Dreamcast Broadband Adapter.

-Byshop

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#36 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

The PS2. The first game I ever played online was ATV Offroad Fury 2.

-Water-Wings-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -Water-Wings-
Member since 2006 • 1099 Posts

Sadly, I didn't play online until Xbox 360.

huntingforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 huntingforfood
Member since 2015 • 26 Posts

PC wow

pikachewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pikachewbacca
Member since 2015 • 127 Posts

Mine was xbox 360. Can't remember which game though, Perfect Dark Zero perhaps.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I'm pretty sure mine was SSX3 on ps2. That's when I found out I was not as good at the game as I thought, lol

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Exceed20XX

@gregbmil: I feel like that's a common revelation whenever one finds a series they're good at offline and then tries it online for the first time haha. You go from probably being the best locally (that you know of) to globally being demoted to great, good, average or something.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

counter strike on the pc

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jun_aka_pekto
@Exceed20XX said:

I forgot to mention that Air Warrior was an online-only game which came out in 1988.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

PC with a slow dialup connection. Terrible experience. However I still to this day do not really like online gaming. I got into BF2 and Unreal 2k4 for a bit but that was about it.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Splinter Cell : Pandora Tomorrow on PC I guess. I imagined it would be horrible with a lot of swearing and raging, but fortunately for me, the folks who played were all cool.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

PC - Birth of the Federation/ Dark Forces II with mates, but my connection was so rubbish I don't think we ever completed a game - true story.

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts

PC - City of Heroes. I remember being totally weirded out by some dude PMing me out of the blue as I was trying to get my bearing straight! Before that, though, I played a LOT of couch-based multiplayer on the N64 with Star Fox, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark :) After CoH, I got into Steam and TFC (2fort/solly/ramp room/defense).

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Xbox 360 back in '06.. I still remember it very clearly, I played Halo 2 on Relic.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I started on the PSP in 2007 and the game was Medal of Honor: Heroes. It was fun but I quickly moved on to Socom FTB2, which is one of my best online gaming memories.

uriweru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By uriweru
Member since 2015 • 48 Posts

PC and it was Counter-Strike