Would you defend a neo nazi or racist from physical assault?

• 54 results
borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

Thought this might be interesting to discuss with how current events have unfolded.

Here is the scenario. You are at a public space and a neo nazi or racist is speaking to a gathered crowd as you watch you notice a small group of people approach the speaker armed with weapons and are about to lay a beat down or kill this person. You have the means to prevent any escalation.

Do you jump in even though you disagree with the speakers ideology or let them get beaten?

I would jump in even though I despise everything they stand for. You don't physically attack someone for words instead you show how stupid and intolerant they are by destroying their arguments.

If you believe otherwise what are your reasons?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

No, because that is what the police is for.

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 borninblood60

@perfect_blue said:

True but we have seen cops told to stand down or let's say for this scenario the cops can't get there in time.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts

@borninblood60 said:
@perfect_blue said:

True but we have seen cops told to stand down or let's say for this scenario the cops can't get there in time.

Cops were not told to stand down. And no. If they can't defend themselves they shouldn't be provoking others.

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 borninblood60

@LJS9502_basic said:
@borninblood60 said:
@perfect_blue said:

Cops were not told to stand down. And no. If they can't defend themselves they shouldn't be provoking others.

So if you say something that I find provokes me and you can't defend yourself I'm allowed to beat the shit out of you?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@borninblood60 said:

Then the answer is still no. I'm not risking my life for a Nazi.

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 borninblood60

@perfect_blue said:
@borninblood60 said:

Then the answer is still no. I'm not risking my life for a Nazi.

I can understand that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@borninblood60 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@borninblood60 said:
@perfect_blue said:

So if you say something that I find provokes me and you can't defend yourself I'm allowed to beat the shit out of you?

I'm not standing there in a group in front of you with weapons....including guns.....and preaching violence and hate. Nor am I throwing things at you. What a simplistic and uninformed reading of my post.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

I'd wait till things got a little too far and step in. Or probably not, better not risk my ass for a beating

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23038 Posts

@borninblood60: "You have the means to prevent any escalation."

If I have the means to do so, then yes, of course.

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 borninblood60

@LJS9502_basic: You're looking at it from the Charllotesville incident not the scenario I proposed. If they have weapons then they have come for a fight sure that's not what I was getting at. In the scenario the neo nazi/racist is unarmed and just spewing hateful nonsense but is about to be attacked. It's more of moral question like if a person you truly hated was about to lose their life could you put your feelings aside and save that person?

TOOLFRENZY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 TOOLFRENZY
Member since 2004 • 571 Posts

No way. If you show up looking to fight carrying a torch and a nazi flag, expect to get your ass handed to you.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic

@borninblood60 said:

@LJS9502_basic: You're looking at it from the Charllotesville incident not the scenario I proposed. If they have weapons then they have come for a fight sure that's not what I was getting at. In the scenario the neo nazi/racist is unarmed and just spewing hateful nonsense but is about to be attacked. It's more of moral question like if a person you truly hated was about to lose their life could you put your feelings aside and save that person?

Dude I'm not going to jump into the middle of a conflict. I'd call the police.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127508 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@borninblood60: "You have the means to prevent any escalation."

If I have the means to do so, then yes, of course.

Might have the means but not the knowledge on how to do it. By the sound of it I understand it as threatening both sides to calm down. If one side wants violence, it will get it since it will start it.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattbbpl

@horgen: The reason I pointed that clauses out is because I'm assuming we have everything necessary to know the expected outcome thus making it exclusively a question of ethics rather than muddying it with questions of risk.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic

@mattbbpl said:

@horgen: The reason I pointed that clauses out is because I'm assuming we have everything necessary to know the expected outcome thus making it exclusively a question of ethics rather than muddying it with questions of risk.

But you cannot eliminate risk. Not totally.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mattbbpl

@LJS9502_basic said:
@mattbbpl said:

Yeah, this is a hypothetical, and I attempted to make it clear that that's how I was approaching the hypothetical scenario (which I also thought was the spirit of the OP). Apparently I wasn't clear in my post and I could have been wrong about the spirit of the OP, but it is what it is.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@borninblood60 said:

Thought this might be interesting to discuss with how current events have unfolded.

Here is the scenario. You are at a public space and a neo nazi or racist is speaking to a gathered crowd as you watch you notice a small group of people approach the speaker armed with weapons and are about to lay a beat down or kill this person. You have the means to prevent any escalation.

Do you jump in even though you disagree with the speakers ideology or let them get beaten?

I would jump in even though I despise everything they stand for. You don't physically attack someone for words instead you show how stupid and intolerant they are by destroying their arguments.

Hmm, it will depend on the situation, but of course i would jump in like with any other person who is in danger,

Just because you disagree with someone does not mean you have to hate them, in fact by showing to be better you may learn the person something.

Like the ex-nazi who was on CNN, who learned that his hate was unreasonable when he had a music store and had to relay on all people not just his neo-nazi friengs.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic

@mattbbpl said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@mattbbpl said:

Yeah, this is a hypothetical, and I attempted to make it clear that that's how I was approaching the hypothetical scenario (which I also thought was the spirit of the OP). Apparently I wasn't clear in my post and I could have been wrong about the spirit of the OP, but it is what it is.

I understand your point but I'm saying it cannot exist in reality. Even one on one there is risk.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Yes I would, If I have the means to prevent any escalation as stated I would do it.

I find it unacceptable to use violence to shut people up, and making excuses one at a time, will leave less and less ground to stand on later down the road, when you will find yourself at the wrong end of the driving ideology of the day.

While I disagree wholeheartedly with what they say, the right to say it is sacred, if you begin making excuses, the western liberties will crumble further. Ideas and Ideals that I hold really high. Higher then political and religious agendas.

I will still hate such a speaker, but at least I will hate him/her while standing true to my own convictions.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12575 Posts

Nobody deserves a beat down. This is America. I don't think I'd jump in a fight between a protester and counter protester, but I'd definitely do what I could to stop it without violence. Violence on violence isn't the answer. Arrests should be made. In a protest police are always close by and are equipped and legally able to handle the situation. If I absolutely felt like someone was going to be killed I might have a change of mind and step in, probably getting my ass beat down too.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58345 Posts

*sigh*

assuming this is not a trick question, and that the cops are not there to help, and I have the means to do so, yes: I would protect the neo-Nazi from physical harm. They do have a right to their opinion, and violence begets violence. I am a firm believer in standing up for people's rights to say what they want to say, even if I don't believe in what they say (totally bastardizing that quote...).

I would not protect them from rebuttal, however, that is them getting their's. I might believe they're free to say what they want, but they're also free to live with the consequences, be it counter protest, the law, legal action, their companies firing them for being pricks, and so forth.

Also, there are plenty of examples of good Samaritans sticking up for distasteful people expressing distasteful opinions. Let's just look at Keshia Thomas from this KKK rally.

@LJS9502_basic said:
@mattbbpl said:

*heavy sigh*

Let's just say for the sake of argument there is no risk. You are Superman, and there are no cops, and you are feeling incredibly objective and Constitutionally-minded. You can simply split the fight up, not suffer legal consequences, not get hurt, not hurt anyone.

Just stop the fight/hurt...or let it happen.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@mrbojangles25:

*sigh* Hypothetically I deal in realism. Call the cops and be done with it. The only correct thing to do.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

You can't reason with leftist dogma. I would definitely defend conservatives from speaking their mind but not in front of a confrontation on the streets.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#26 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49569 Posts
@perfect_blue said:

And the people just love us for that reason!

I already hear it. "**** you pigs, you nazi defenders!"

I savor each and every tear, because on days like so, it's time and a half.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

I'll call the cops and let them deal with it. I'm not putting myself at risk.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

You can't reason with leftist dogma. I would definitely defend conservatives from speaking their mind but not in front of a confrontation on the streets.

If there is one thing you should have learned in life by the time you're........... 12........ its that you can have a conversation with anyone about anything if both of you are willing to do so.

In your case i get the impression you have little to no interest in actually discussing things with people, you simply want to insult and make the other person seem as extreme as possible. Which seems like a bit of projection IMO, but whatever. But if you can follow these basics steps of human interaction, "reasoning" with people is not at all a difficult thing and you'd find their ideas are generally the last thing to affect this process.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@kod said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

If there is one thing you should have learned in life by the time you're........... 12........ its that you can have a conversation with anyone about anything if both of you are willing to do so.

In your case i get the impression you have little to no interest in actually discussing things with people, you simply want to insult and make the other person seem as extreme as possible. Which seems like a bit of projection IMO, but whatever. But if you can follow these basics steps of human interaction, "reasoning" with people is not at all a difficult thing and you'd find their ideas are generally the last thing to affect this process.

Dude, enough with the pseudo intellectualism.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

You're asking me if I saw a crowd of people beating up Neo Nazis- would I intervene? Probably not. 1) Call the Police 2) They are Nazis. I wouldnt feel badly for them.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@perfect_blue said:

And the people just love us for that reason!

I already hear it. "**** you pigs, you nazi defenders!"

I savor each and every tear, because on days like so, it's time and a half.

When BLM protested, the police shot tear gas.

When white supremacists protested while carrying guns and torches, what did the police do again? Oh right, nothing.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3871 Posts

Were the white supremacists breaking windows and burning buildings?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:

They were too busy running over people.........

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

Funny.

Way to take a horrible event and make it into a spin for your side.

But again your side kill cops and smash up cities so i guess you have to deflect.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Got no dog in that fight so I'd say let the two duke it out and then prosecute the side that won lol

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By JimB
Member since 2002 • 3871 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

As always you miss the mark a question was ask and answered. Compare the number of incidents where people were run over by Nazi Cars which was despicable, to the number of people killed by far left groups which are also Despicable but get a pass because they are on the Left. By the way, in Charlotte, if the Democratic mayor and Democratic Governor, Had no instructed the police to stand down after they pushed the Nazi protesters into the counter protester's none of this would have occurred. The question has been raised the left wanted this to happen, so it did.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@drunk_pi said:

When white supremacists protested while carrying guns and torches, what did the police do again? Oh right, nothing.

No, when BLM had unlawful assemblies - and refused to disperse after many lawful orders - tear gas was deployed. Edit: And like the other user said, let's not forget all the looting, rioting, bottle/rock throwing, torching (not carrying torches, but actually setting businesses and cars on fire), etc.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:

As always you miss the mark a question was ask and answered. Compare the number of incidents where people were run over by Nazi Cars which was despicable, to the number of people killed by far left groups which are also Despicable but get a pass because they are on the Left. By the way, in Charlotte, if the Democratic mayor and Democratic Governor, Had no instructed the police to stand down after they pushed the Nazi protesters into the counter protester's none of this would have occurred. The question has been raised the left wanted this to happen, so it did.

Counterprotesters killed someone in Charlottesville? Also either the mayor nor the governor had any say in how the police handled the matter. In fact: Mayor says Charlottesville police chief told him, ‘Stay out of my way’

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Drunk_PI

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@drunk_pi said:

No, when BLM had unlawful assemblies - and refused to disperse after many lawful orders - tear gas was deployed. Edit: And like the other user said, let's not forget all the looting, rioting, bottle/rock throwing, torching (not carrying torches, but actually setting businesses and cars on fire), etc.

Oh yeah, looks like that black lady is going to cause a ruckus.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@drunk_pi said:

Whelp, he did it! He found the one true finding of all findings. This image alone invalidates everything and anything. All hail the officer slide dance!

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Drunk_PI

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@drunk_pi said:

Whelp, he did it! He found the one true finding of all findings. This image alone invalidates everything and anything. All hail the officer slide dance!

When you treat everything as a joke, you know you can't make your point. ;)

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@drunk_pi said:

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Drunk_PI

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@drunk_pi said:

Hey, you're the one that thinks that blady lady is dangerous but those white guys with rifles aren't. Sorry if you've resorted from using words to using memes to express.. whatever opinion you have.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#44 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I guess it would depend on whether my son was with me at the time; I don't risk my son's safety for anyone but if I were alone, I don't think I could stand by and watch someone getting beat up, regardless of them being a pile of excrement.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@drunk_pi said:

Hey, you're the one that thinks that blady lady is dangerous but those white guys with rifles aren't. Sorry if you've resorted from using words to using memes to express.. whatever opinion you have.

This might be the most entertaining strawman argument I've seen all week.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

Step in and disturb a key moment in history when the cops stand down to prevent violence by letting violence? Well that's already kinda happened, but the right needs a good martyr and this would easily make it so.

But outside of sarcasm? Yeah, I would jump in to save a life. I'm not a human piece of garbage. I'm not capable of desensitizing myself enough to stand by when someone is crying out in pain and their life is in danger.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@borninblood60 said:

No, I would not.

Why? Because I don't want to get my ass beaten.

Self-preservation is a powerful thing. Never mind the fact that the person is a neo-nazi. If I think that me trying to save a person from bodily harm is going to result in me being harmed instead, there's a very good chance that I'll be like, "that sucks, but better you than me."

EDIT: anyway, in the COMPLETELY UNREALISTIC hypothetical scenario that involves me knowing that I can defuse the situation without bringing any risk onto myself, then of course I'd save the neo-nazi.

I'd just like to point out that this is way too much like "would you murder a neo-nazi if you were absolutely sure you'd get away with it?"

Point being...if we remove "bodily harm to myself" as a reason for not helping, then it basically just comes down to whether or not I want a neo-nazi to die simply because he/she is a neo-nazi. If the reason I'm not saving the neo-nazi from being beaten and/or killed isn't because it will harm me in some way, then that's essentially the same thing as me letting the neo-nazi die just because he/she is a neo-nazi. And at that point, hell...might as well just pull the trigger myself if I knew I could get away with it.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

@borninblood60 said:

I will tell you how in a first world country, with any decent rules and not a half arsed racist community deals with this situation.

1) that nazi would get reported straight of the bet and picked up by the police

2) those armed people would be picked up also and arrested, as there is no way you can walk with weapons on the street that have no meaning other then to terrorize people with.

3) you stay out of the conflict as police take it over, because that's where police is for to maintain order.

But in america.

You probably, just fight eachother. Shoot eachother, and terrorize eachother. And start shouting all kinds of little kids slogans like "my group matters' while thinking you are the better person while actively hitting a person repeatingly in the head with your fist and calling yourself a hero.

about his picture:

What's the story behind this? did she got a warning to not come close? as i honestly don't see anybody else stand there. And if she got warned she kept on walking towards them?

What did you aspect to happen?

Or do people use this as somekind of white vs black type of deal in america? to drive there idioticy

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

People with spiteful ideas usually don't come from a place of love. I would help them. Maybe I'm insane but I think even the worst have the best intentions, they just don't know better (and can't do better given their situation).

I don't believe that anyone is ever trying to do worse than they ultimately can in life, given their situation. It wouldn't make sense.

Avatar image for Renegade_Garrus
Renegade_Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Renegade_Garrus
Member since 2013 • 68 Posts

Seeing as how Liberals think anyone who is not a Liberal Democrat is a neo-nazi or racist that would be a lot of people you would have to defend. Not the nazis or the Klan is a significant force in this country's politics, most of the people at Charlottesville had nothing to do with the few dozen nazis that showed up uninvited and it was the unlawful counter protestors from antifa and BLM who were bused in that started the violence while the police were ordered to stand down something there should be investigation for, stop watching fake news and maybe you wont get so butthurt about old statues.