Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@comp_atkins said:

I don't. please tell me what cultural intelligence means, i've genuinely never heard the term before.

It means a culture where hard work and dedication to school/music succeeding is key, just google stories about Asian parents who act like curling-parents their kids ahead, one story I heard was about an Asian mom who each time her son played a wrong key on the piano would slam the led down. How hard do you think that kid worked on his piano to make sure he did not hit a wrong key.

It´s a pretty common fact that having that kind of dedication and doing that kind of hard work leads to much better grades in school, leads to much higher SAT´s and also leads to them to succeed a lot more than any other group. Which also leads them to have a much higher work moral which we all could learn something from.

But keep in mind, I am not saying that anyone else's parents can´t be the same or that Asians are all alike,

Thank you for proving your racism. First off, just because there's a media stereotype of hard-working Asian culture and you had it confirmed one time, that doesn't mean the generalization is true. It also doesn't mean that hard work is endemic to Asian culture rather than just something a plurality of Asians happen to value. And really, what does that have to do with race at all? You could just as easily look at hard-working Asians and say "huh, they're hard-working, how about that?" but you instead choose to ascribe this characteristic to their culture (and just assuming that all Asians share a culture is problematic to begin with), and assume that this culture is due to race. Racism. Second, you do the exact opposite with African-Americans, taking popular media portrayal and random examples as evidence of a larger generalization (that's called confirmation bias, by the way, any good lawyer should know that), without knowing any information about the specific challenges these individuals face. The biggest predictor of SAT success, by the way, is the quality of the school, and African-Americans just so happen to be overrepresented in the best schools and underrepresented in the worst. But no, you don't even consider that the reason they don't do as well on SATs is because they don't have access to quality schools, you go straight to a moral failure, and ascribe that failure to a race-based culture. Racism.

And can we all stop for a moment and reflect on the fact that Jac thinks slamming a goddamn piano lid on a child's fingers when they hit a wrong note is an effective teaching method? Psychopath status confirmed?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#102 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@theone86 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@comp_atkins said:

I don't. please tell me what cultural intelligence means, i've genuinely never heard the term before.

It means a culture where hard work and dedication to school/music succeeding is key, just google stories about Asian parents who act like curling-parents their kids ahead, one story I heard was about an Asian mom who each time her son played a wrong key on the piano would slam the led down. How hard do you think that kid worked on his piano to make sure he did not hit a wrong key.

It´s a pretty common fact that having that kind of dedication and doing that kind of hard work leads to much better grades in school, leads to much higher SAT´s and also leads to them to succeed a lot more than any other group. Which also leads them to have a much higher work moral which we all could learn something from.

But keep in mind, I am not saying that anyone else's parents can´t be the same or that Asians are all alike,

Thank you for proving your racism. First off, just because there's a media stereotype of hard-working Asian culture and you had it confirmed one time, that doesn't mean the generalization is true. It also doesn't mean that hard work is endemic to Asian culture rather than just something a plurality of Asians happen to value. And really, what does that have to do with race at all? You could just as easily look at hard-working Asians and say "huh, they're hard-working, how about that?" but you instead choose to ascribe this characteristic to their culture (and just assuming that all Asians share a culture is problematic to begin with), and assume that this culture is due to race. Racism. Second, you do the exact opposite with African-Americans, taking popular media portrayal and random examples as evidence of a larger generalization (that's called confirmation bias, by the way, any good lawyer should know that), without knowing any information about the specific challenges these individuals face. The biggest predictor of SAT success, by the way, is the quality of the school, and African-Americans just so happen to be overrepresented in the best schools and underrepresented in the worst. But no, you don't even consider that the reason they don't do as well on SATs is because they don't have access to quality schools, you go straight to a moral failure, and ascribe that failure to a race-based culture. Racism.

And can we all stop for a moment and reflect on the fact that Jac thinks slamming a goddamn piano lid on a child's fingers when they hit a wrong note is an effective teaching method? Psychopath status confirmed?

instead ask him to explain how the difference happens.

is it biological in his mind? is it culture? what is culture then? is the rolling stones white culture but not black culture? what elements of culture apply and which ones dont? and why? and how?

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Fuhrer_D said:
@Jacanuk said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@tryit: white privilege does exist, mainly because the employers are all white, the bosses are white, the politicians are white. It helps to be white in a white man's world , but that definitely isn't everything. Tribalism does exist and people will associate more with people they relate to. I don't think that's a problem. Black privilege exists as well, you see in the rap industry becoming a rapper when you're white is much harder.

In any case, if you're good at what you do, privilege doesn't matter. That's why Eminem is one of the most famous rappers. It's why Asians have better pay than whites. Privilege exists for sure but how hard you work and how much you push yourself will ultimately determine your lot in life.

White privilege is a myth.

You have to be trolling.

Not really but whatever helps you sleep at night i guess.

No help needed, I sleep well, unless one of the kids gets in the bed and they spend their time in my section of the king sized bed (dad's know what I'm talking about).

While I don't do the victim thing, as I see it as something that holds people back, I'm not ignorant to their being a racial privilege. As a black man in a STEM environment, I know I had to work harder to garner the same respect and accolades. Also, as someone that comes from an affluent family, I know I've been afforded privileges that other have not. Really I don't see anything wrong with either, as long as they are acknowledged and understood.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 TryIt

@Fuhrer_D said:
@Jacanuk said:
@Fuhrer_D said:
@Jacanuk said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@tryit: white privilege does exist, mainly because the employers are all white, the bosses are white, the politicians are white. It helps to be white in a white man's world , but that definitely isn't everything. Tribalism does exist and people will associate more with people they relate to. I don't think that's a problem. Black privilege exists as well, you see in the rap industry becoming a rapper when you're white is much harder.

In any case, if you're good at what you do, privilege doesn't matter. That's why Eminem is one of the most famous rappers. It's why Asians have better pay than whites. Privilege exists for sure but how hard you work and how much you push yourself will ultimately determine your lot in life.

White privilege is a myth.

You have to be trolling.

No help needed, I sleep well, unless one of the kids gets in the bed and they spend their time in my section of the king sized bed (dad's know what I'm talking about).

While I don't do the victim thing, as I see it as something that holds people back, I'm not ignorant to their being a racial privilege. As a black man in a STEM environment, I know I had to work harder to garner the same respect and accolades. Also, as someone that comes from an affluent family, I know I've been afforded privileges that other have not. Really I don't see anything wrong with either, as long as they are acknowledged and understood.

why did you have to 'work harder' if there isnt any white privilege?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

@Fuhrer_D said:
@Jacanuk said:

So you're saying there is a difference between how races are treated.......you don't say.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 TryIt

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Fuhrer_D said:
@Jacanuk said:

So you're saying there is a difference between how races are treated.......you don't say.

yeah he didnt think that one thru.

this is why i always just lean toward being honest, its easier to factor in what I say :)

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Fuhrer_D

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Fuhrer_D said:
@Jacanuk said:

Uh yeah, that is what I said. Was that missed?

Again, it makes sense, tribal mentality and all. My parents taught me to deal with it (school, work, law, whatever) or get ran over.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 TryIt

@Fuhrer_D said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Fuhrer_D said:
@Jacanuk said:

Uh yeah, that is what I said. Was that missed?

Again, it makes sense, tribal mentality and all. My parents taught me to deal with it (school, work, law, whatever) or get ran over.

so there is white privilege?

otherwise why would you (in bold)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#109  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Fuhrer_D said:

Only someone who needs to play the victim card would ever claim there is such a thing as white privilege. It´s like claiming there is a male privilege. So again no there is no "white privilege" or "privilege" it´s nothing but an excuse for people to not even try because they can claim the system is rigged against them. And Life is not fair, so people should stop complaining over things like "white privilege or any privilege" and start to focus on themselves and their life.

Also, the reason you had to work to gain peoples respect is more due to your background than your race.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Fuhrer_D said:

I assume you are not white? because only someone who needs to play the victim card would ever claim there is such a thing as white privilege. It´s like claiming there is a male privilege.

So again no there is no "white privilege" or "privilege" it´s nothing but an excuse for people to not even try because they can claim the system is rigged against them

And Life is not fair, so people should stop complaining over things like "white privilege or any privilege" and start to focus on themselves and their life.

There is definitely privilege..........only someone that has it would say there wasn't.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Jacanuk

@tryit said:

Anyone have to work hard to get anywhere in life.

Even rich people may have a fast pass to certain jobs, but that fast pass does not mean they can sit in the corner and not work. Unless they inherit the cash and decide to be lazy and not work at all, but that is not a privilege it´s their curse.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

Even rich people may have a fast pass to certain jobs, but that fast pass does not mean they can sit in the corner and not work. Unless they inherit the cash and decide to be lazy and not work at all, but that is not a privilege it´s their curse.

but he said he would have to work harder than other people to get the same level.

that is what he implied anyway...should I post all of what he said in that respect so everyone is clear?

here is what he said

As a black man in a STEM environment, I know I had to work harder to garner the same respect and accolades.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Jacanuk

@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

but he said he would have to work harder than other people to get the same level.

that is what he implied anyway...should I post all of what he said in that respect so everyone is clear?

Ya, I know he said he had to work harder but kids from money usually have to do that, Just look in here how some view people with money.

If it was like it may have been implied, that his race had something to do with it but that is a lot of BS unless he worked with racists and that has nothing to do with white privilege.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

Ya, I know he said he had to work harder but kids from money usually have to do that, Just look in here how some view people with money.

If it was like it may have been implied, that his race had something to do with it but that is a lot of BS unless he worked with racists and that has nothing to do with white privilege.

here is what he said, he could not have been more clear

As a black man in a STEM environment, I know I had to work harder to garner the same respect and accolades.

1. as a black man

2. I had to worker harder

3. to garner the same respect

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Jacanuk

@tryit said:

1. as a black man

Do you understand what Affluent means?

Because you seem to either skip over that part on purpose or not understand what it means.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

1. as a black man

Do you understand what Affluent means?

Because you seem to either skip over that part on purpose or not understand what it means.

1. as a black man

he didn't say anything about wealth in my quote, he said 'as a black man'

stop trying to change the subject, he comment is not about affluence, its about him being black. 'as a black man'.

stop being extremely transparent in your trolling please

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Jacanuk

@tryit said:

1. as a black man

stop trying to change the subject, he comment is not about affluence, its about him being black. 'as a black man'.

So I can take it you did not read his entire post and this.

@Fuhrer_D

"Also, as someone that comes from an affluent family, I know I've been afforded privileges that other have not"

But don´t worry I know you are as 99% of the time just trolling

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

1. as a black man

So I can take it you did not read his entire post and this.

@Fuhrer_D

"Also, as someone that comes from an affluent family, I know I've been afforded privileges that other have not"

But don´t worry I know you are as 99% of the time just trolling

oh I see you mean the part where he uses the word

PRIVILEGES

so which is it wise one?

or below as evidence of how being affluent means its harder? could both quotes be right? or is he liying about just one of them?

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Fuhrer_D

@Jacanuk said:
@Fuhrer_D said:

Only someone who needs to play the victim card would ever claim there is such a thing as white privilege. It´s like claiming there is a male privilege. So again no there is no "white privilege" or "privilege" it´s nothing but an excuse for people to not even try because they can claim the system is rigged against them. And Life is not fair, so people should stop complaining over things like "white privilege or any privilege" and start to focus on themselves and their life.

Also, the reason you had to work to gain peoples respect is more due to your background than your race.

Please oh great sage, tell me about this non-racial background that was the reason I had to work harder to receive the same accolades and respect as my white male (edit: female as well) counter parts who did less work.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Fuhrer_D

@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:
@Jacanuk said:
@tryit said:

Funny you mention that, because the people I worked with didn't know I came from an affluent family until my some of my coworkers and boss (and their boss) came to my wedding. That definitely had an impact; prior to that, they just thought I was some smart homeboy that just made it out of the hood (which is funny because they knew where I grew up). Really though, the only person that changed was my boss's boss, he started to make comments about me not needing what they were paying me, and figured that was how I bought a house straight out of college (instead of me being financial savvy).

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Jacanuk

@Fuhrer_D said:

Funny you mention that, because the people I worked with didn't know I came from an affluent family until my some of my coworkers and boss (and their boss) came to my wedding. That definitely had an impact; prior to that, they just thought I was some smart homeboy that just made it out of the hood (which is funny because they knew where I grew up). Really though, the only person that changed was my boss's boss, he started to make comments about me not needing what they were paying me, and figured that was how I bought a house straight out of college (instead of me being financial savvy).

You don´t have to know people come from money, most people can tell pretty quickly because they in most instances act in a certain way.

Also 99% sure that some of the "hardship" you think happened to you comes from your own already made up opinions about people, just the attitude you portray in the comments, not to mention your username, which you know is a provocation when you picked it, since clearly you had some kind of proper education and knew what it would lead people to think. Shows this.

So no people most likely did not think "you were this smartass homeboy like "Fresh Prince", they probably had a hard time giving you respect because you need to earn respect, you don´t just get it because you demand it. This is not when you ask daddy for a new car and he gives it to you.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 TryIt

@Jacanuk said:
@Fuhrer_D said:

You don´t have to know people come from money, most people can tell pretty quickly because they in most instances act in a certain way.

Also 99% sure that some of the "hardship" you think happened to you comes from your own already made up opinions about people, just the attitude you portray in the comments, not to mention your username, which you know is a provocation when you picked it, since clearly you had some kind of proper education and knew what it would lead people to think. Shows this.

So no people most likely did not think "you were this smartass homeboy like "Fresh Prince", they probably had a hard time giving you respect because you need to earn respect, you don´t just get it because you demand it. This is not when you ask daddy for a new car and he gives it to you.

you are completely and totally delusional if you think the number of white people who are not biased toward black people is actually so small that it doesnt affect their lives.

completely disconnected from reality

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Fuhrer_D

@Jacanuk said:
@Fuhrer_D said:

What is that certain way? Was it my driving a 15 year old car (granted it was a Mercedes), or talking about how I bought a foreclosure as my first house and gutted and remolded it after I got off work, to save money. Maybe it was that I didn't have student loans, wait, no they understood I was on academic and athletic scholarships and worked. Ah, it was my grammar, that has to be it, they did use to mention that I always said well instead of good.

I can say I have never demanded respect, because I wasn't raised in that manner; I was always taught you had to earn it, and that you only reap what you sow.

I've had the username discussion on here before, it is something that comes from my Socom days, its a military term to me; though I know the "history" of it since I grew up in a area were 1/3 of the population was "Jew - ish."

I would really like to know though how you can tell someone comes from an affluent background quickly, that is a fascinating premise to me.

I think I get why you don't feel you there is a such thing as privilege. You see it as affront to that of which you have worked hard to become; that is because you are letting people tell privilege is a bad thing, which I stated before, it is not, as long as you are cognizant of it; use it to your advantage, but at the same time understand how it can disenfranchise others.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Jacanuk

@Fuhrer_D said:

What is that certain way? Was it my driving a 15 year old car (granted it was a Mercedes), or talking about how I bought a foreclosure as my first house and gutted and remolded it after I got off work, to save money. Maybe it was that I didn't have student loans, wait, no they understood I was on academic and athletic scholarships and worked. Ah, it was my grammar, that has to be it, they did use to mention that I always said well instead of good.

I can say I have never demanded respect, because I wasn't raised in that manner; I was always taught you had to earn it, and that you only reap what you sow.

I've had the username discussion on here before, it is something that comes from my Socom days, its a military term to me; though I know the "history" of it since I grew up in a area were 1/3 of the population was "Jew - ish."

I would really like to know though how you can tell someone comes from an affluent background quickly, that is a fascinating premise to me.

I think I get why you don't feel you there is a such thing as privilege. You see it as affront to that of which you have worked hard to become; that is because you are letting people tell privilege is a bad thing, which I stated before, it is not, as long as you are cognizant of it; use it to your advantage, but at the same time understand how it can disenfranchise others.

Well, people who come from a certain background are more often arrogant and have this self-entitlement attitude around them. Where they expect people to bow down and give them their undying respect. Not all are like that and coming from a similar background, I have met this countless times, the only difference between them and me was my parents were not curling me but demanded I work hard for every cent I wanted or needed.

So saying that people can tell if you are from money is perhaps a bit iffy, but people can most certainly tell when someone is arrogant or who demand respect without earning it. And you say you never demanded respect but it´s puzzling you point it out as something they didn´t give you and you had to earn as a negative.

And I do not care if you have had that discussion a million times before or if it came from a certain game, Anyone with your background is surely smart enough to notice the negative implications of the username and that people will instantly tribute a certain guy to the name. So you picked it despite those reasons. Which is puzzling. Though I will say that as a strong opponent of PC culture, I do not have a problem with that username and you have every right to pick it and use it.

But yes you are correct, my problem is what the word implies, Privilege has that negative ring to it, it implies that you were given something without working for it, and most people work hard to get where they are, I worked my behind off to get where I am, so having that "white privilege" slammed on. is an insult.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Fuhrer_D

@Jacanuk said:
@Fuhrer_D said:

Well, people who come from a certain background are more often arrogant and have this self-entitlement attitude around them. Where they expect people to bow down and give them their undying respect. Not all are like that and coming from a similar background, I have met this countless times, the only difference between them and me was my parents were not curling me but demanded I work hard for every cent I wanted or needed.

So saying that people can tell if you are from money is perhaps a bit iffy, but people can most certainly tell when someone is arrogant or who demand respect without earning it. And you say you never demanded respect but it´s puzzling you point it out as something they didn´t give you and you had to earn as a negative.

And I do not care if you have had that discussion a million times before or if it came from a certain game, Anyone with your background is surely smart enough to notice the negative implications of the username and that people will instantly tribute a certain guy to the name. So you picked it despite those reasons. Which is puzzling. Though I will say that as a strong opponent of PC culture, I do not have a problem with that username and you have every right to pick it and use it.

But yes you are correct, my problem is what the word implies, Privilege has that negative ring to it, it implies that you were given something without working for it, and most people work hard to get where they are, I worked my behind off to get where I am, so having that "white privilege" slammed on. is an insult.

I'm pointing it out, as it stood out, you can see your counter parts do the same or less work, but receive more recognition or perks. It doesn't mean I was seeking out their confirmation (they paid me handsomely and I enjoyed what I did), but I'm definitely not blind to difference.

Definitely understood, as I feel the same when people jump to the same conclusion for affluent privileges. I grew up with plenty of gold spoon kids, and some of them used their privilege in destructive manners; but those of us that worked hard, ended up ahead of the "game" because of the opportunities out privilege afforded us.

Just an example, my high school had / has a planetarium in it, and taking astronomy course drove my interest in physics, and because of that interest I went on to get a BS in Physics, and later an MS in Math. Someone less fortunate may not have had the privilege to have that exposure, which could have drove them down that path.

I wear my privilege on my sleeve, I came from good "stock," and was taught how to keep that "stock" moving forward.

Edit: Oh, yeah, I understand where people may jump when they see the screen name, but that is a reflection of them, not me; I don't really care how they feel about it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Jacanuk

@Fuhrer_D said:
@Jacanuk said:

I'm pointing it out, as it stood out, you can see your counter parts do the same or less work, but receive more recognition or perks. It doesn't mean I was seeking out their confirmation (they paid me handsomely and I enjoyed what I did), but I'm definitely not blind to difference.

Definitely understood, as I feel the same when people jump to the same conclusion for affluent privileges. I grew up with plenty of gold spoon kids, and some of them used their privilege in destructive manners; but those of us that worked hard, ended up ahead of the "game" because of the opportunities out privilege afforded us.

Just an example, my high school had / has a planetarium in it, and taking astronomy course drove my interest in physics, and because of that interest I went on to get a BS in Physics, and later an MS in Math. Someone less fortunate may not have had the privilege to have that exposure, which could have drove them down that path.

I wear my privilege on my sleeve, I came from good "stock," and was taught how to keep that "stock" moving forward.

Edit: Oh, yeah, I understand where people may jump when they see the screen name, but that is a reflection of them, not me; I don't really care how they feel about it.

Good spot because yes I was raised to value hard work, Life does not hand you anything, you work for it or you will never value it.

But ok so they treated you different but there could be many different reasons, you are young, you had less experience and I bet anyone else coming in new would face the same thing, and that goes for any race. Unless you were just unlucky and you actually got to work with some racist rednecks.

Also yes coming from conditions like you did or I did, grant certain benefits, but they are not privileges they are advantages/benefits, they do not mean jack if you also can´t work hard and anyone can with hard work archive the same, no matter what background they come from. You should go look up a program on BBC about a black kid taken from one of the poor areas of London and put into a prestigious upper-class school, this kid after a bit of getting used to being there, got nothing but straight A´s after being an average D student at his local public school. Sure, in the end, he got expelled because the prep kids couldn´t deal with him being there, but it shows with hard work anyone can archive success if the mental gifts are there.

And that also goes for your high school, sure you got a good chance to learn different areas but if the spark is there, no matter what the fire will burn. Even if you do not have a planetarium. And it´s not privilege,, it´s an advantage nothing else.

Lastly some stats, according to pew 60% of African Americans do not feel they are treated differently because of their race, and if you take the number from projects, it´s 70% according to PEW