Do republicans in congress actively try to decrease people's trust in the federal government?

• 63 results
KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@outworld222 said:

@kittennose: he's not parroting the talking heads, he's just telling the truth, something you may be allergic to.

Strange, given that the words match up so perfectly with the sensationalism offered by pundits. When did the truth become so unrealistic?

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

@Chutebox: once again you failed miserably to support your point and then jumped to a silly ad hominem. If Obama said something about republicans it was because they were actively and admittedly trying to stop true progress to further their own agenda.

I don't think my character is the issue, I just read posts and respond with how I feel. If you say something stupid then well....that's just your brain.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#53 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@theone86 said:
@Chutebox said:

@Mercenary848: I brought up Obama because he always blamed repubs. Constantly. I also pointed out they all did it.

Also, I have never seen anyone, well one other, who has such low self esteem that they feel the need to constantly try and belittle everyone else. You want to have discussions, that's fine. But grow up.

When, exactly, did President Obama blame Republicans?

You want the latest "blame" or the first ?

“Look, we do have a serious problem in terms of debt and deficit, and much of it I inherited when I showed up.”

“We inherited the worst recession since the Great Depression, a banking system on the verge of meltdown. We had lost 4 million jobs by the time I was sworn in and would then lose another 4 million in the few months right after I was sworn in before our economic policies had a chance to take root.”

“In this instance, the oil industry’s cozy and sometimes corrupt relationship with government regulators meant little or no regulation at all. When Secretary Salazar took office, he found a Minerals and Management Service that had been plagued by corruption for years –- this was the agency charged with not only providing permits, but also enforcing laws governing oil drilling.”

“The same thing that swept Scott Brown into office swept me into office. People are angry, and they’re frustrated. Not just because of what’s happened in the last year or two years, but what’s happened over the last eight years.”

“I took office at a time when many around the world had come to view America with skepticism and distrust. Part of this was due to misperceptions and misinformation about my country. Part of this was due to opposition to specific policies, and a belief that on certain critical issues, America has acted unilaterally, without regard for the interests of others. And this has fed an almost reflexive anti-Americanism, which too often has served as an excuse for collective inaction.”

“When I took office, the efforts to apply pressure on Iran were in tatters. Iran had gone from zero centrifuges spinning to thousands, without facing broad pushback from the world. In the region, Iran was ascendant.”

“Obviously, we wish Solyndra hadn’t gone bankrupt. Part of the reason they did was because the Chinese were subsidizing their solar industry and flooding the market in ways that Solyndra couldn’t compete. But understand, this was not our program per se. Congress–Democrats and Republicans–put together a loan guarantee program.”

The key thing that is driving higher gas prices is actually the world’s oil markets and uncertainty about what’s going on in Iran and the Middle East, and that’s adding a $20 or $30 premium to oil prices.”

This is just part of the blame Obama has put on the republicans which is no surprise, all politicians do it, if you are a democrat you blame the republicans, if you are republican you blame the democrats.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50624 Posts

@Mercenary848: Your character is the problem and you prove it every time. I don't expect you to see it though.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@Jacanuk:I don't see any blaming there, I see facts. Not once does he mention Republicans, not once does he say they're trying to tear the country apart or stonewalling his agenda. All he said was that when he came into office certain things were out of order, and he wanted to put them back in order. I see him taking responsibility for the things he wants to change, and all you see is him blaming people. It says a lot about your mentality.

@Chutebox: Maybe a little closer to blame than the other ones, but I still don't see that as blame. He lays out specific policies that he sees as problematic and explains exactly why they're problematic. Republicans, on the other hand, make all sorts of unfounded accusations of Democrats. All Senate Republicans did for eight years was block legislation, and then they turn around and accuse Democrats of doing nothing. President Obama made numerous overtures to them on healthcare reform, and they turn around and accuse him of not doing anything to forge a bipartisan solution. They can't even get their own party members to vote for Obamacare repeal, and yet they accuse the Democrats of sabotaging them. There's a substantive difference between disagreeing with policies and blaming. In all the years I've followed politics, I've never known President Obama to blame anyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#56 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I think the theoretical belief of the republican party is that individuals(people) should have the power and not the government. That you should have more influence and say over your life and its direction as opposed to the government. However, in practice, that's often far from the truth.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Jacanuk

@theone86 said:

@Jacanuk:I don't see any blaming there, I see facts. Not once does he mention Republicans, not once does he say they're trying to tear the country apart or stonewalling his agenda. All he said was that when he came into office certain things were out of order, and he wanted to put them back in order. I see him taking responsibility for the things he wants to change, and all you see is him blaming people. It says a lot about your mentality.

@Chutebox: Maybe a little closer to blame than the other ones, but I still don't see that as blame. He lays out specific policies that he sees as problematic and explains exactly why they're problematic. Republicans, on the other hand, make all sorts of unfounded accusations of Democrats. All Senate Republicans did for eight years was block legislation, and then they turn around and accuse Democrats of doing nothing. President Obama made numerous overtures to them on healthcare reform, and they turn around and accuse him of not doing anything to forge a bipartisan solution. They can't even get their own party members to vote for Obamacare repeal, and yet they accuse the Democrats of sabotaging them. There's a substantive difference between disagreeing with policies and blaming. In all the years I've followed politics, I've never known President Obama to blame anyone.

Well, you can call it whatever your political views say.

But the facts are there, he blamed republicans despite it never being that simple. Take the auto industry, is it the republican who have made it easier and cheaper to make cars in Asia? Not really.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@theone86 said:

But the facts are there, he blamed republicans despite it never being that simple. Take the auto industry, is it the republican who have made it easier and cheaper to make cars in Asia? Not really.

Blame is an interesting choice of words made to convey negativity. However if one side is responsible for the mess it's not exactly blame but reality. Conversely if you tell your base it's the other guys fault even if your hands are dirty.........you're blaming them. Big difference.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@theone86 said:

LOL, you call your arguments facts and others' bias, now it's making a bit more sense why I can't get on the same page as people like you. I made a substantive distinction between blame and disagreement, if you ever want to take a stab at dissecting that distinction you're welcome to. Or you could just blame it on my political affiliation, your choice.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23047 Posts

One recent example:

The Same Agency That Runs Obamacare Is Using Taxpayer Money to Undermine It

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Jacanuk

@theone86 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@theone86 said:

LOL, you call your arguments facts and others' bias, now it's making a bit more sense why I can't get on the same page as people like you. I made a substantive distinction between blame and disagreement, if you ever want to take a stab at dissecting that distinction you're welcome to. Or you could just blame it on my political affiliation, your choice.

What are you on about? i am calling Obama´s own words facts.

How you perceive them is up to your own political views and clearly you are leaning far-left.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@carlosdanger said:

Is this a serious question? America was founded on distrust of the government.

I wouldnt say that, if that was the case the founding fathers would not have founded a government.

I would however say that they expected an exercise of keeping power in check, in most every form.