Video Game Violence and its effect on Children

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts

Hello everybody. Im doing a research essay on this topic and I'd like to hear from you. Yes, you all will get credit (Im not taking credit for somebody elses opinions) but I will only put in the detailed opinions so I'd really like to get 2 or 3 of them. I just need to ask you several questions.

1) How old were you when you started playing violent video games?
2) How old are you now?
3) Have you noticed more agressiveness after playing these video games?
4) What is your stance on this subject. Do you think that video games can instill violent behavior in people?
5) What do you think of activists like Thompson and Clinton?

And if any of you have children, would you let your children play the games you do or not, and why?

Thank you all very much for your time. This is the grade that decides if I pass or fail for the last quater of the school year so I want to make this good.

Edit- Keep it serious and clean, please.

420Token420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 420Token420
Member since 2007 • 5173 Posts

1) How old were you when you started playing violent video games? 4 Years of age .. brother brough home a Nintendo ..

2) How old are you now? I am currently 23, almost 24 ..

3) Have you noticed more agressiveness after playing these video games? No .. A video game, is well a game .. it doesn't cause me stress, doesn't cause me to cry, get angry .. I mean it's a video game, I play it to have fun, and fun I do have. That's why they were created ..

4) What is your stance on this subject. Do you think that video games can instill violent behavior in people? I don't believe it instills the violence .. I believe you're born violent .. but possibly to a child that is not all there could trigger something inside. Do I believe it's just video games, no .. it's media in general .. I think that most people who play video games are actually mature enough to distinguish between virtual reality, and reality. But I'm sure it has give some kids ideas, and some are stupid enough to do them.

5) What do you think of activists like Thompson and Clinton? Honestly, I don't think about them. I don't care what they have to say, or what they think. There's always going to be someone out there trying to 'Stop' something ..

numbersss101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 numbersss101
Member since 2007 • 421 Posts

Hello everybody. Im doing a research essay on this topic and I'd like to hear from you. Yes, you all will get credit (Im not taking credit for somebody elses opinions) but I will only put in the detailed opinions so I'd really like to get 2 or 3 of them. I just need to ask you several questions.

2) How old are you now?
4) What is your stance on this subject. Do you think that video games can instill violent behavior in people?

And if any of you have children, would you let your children play the games you do or not, and why?

Thank you all very much for your time. This is the grade that decides if I pass or fail for the last quater of the school year so I want to make this good.

Matt-4542

1) I started to play violent games when I was 7.......yup 7. First game was basicly gta 2 and SWAT something (don't think its violent)

2)I'm 14

3)No.....this is actually the best way to settle down when I feel like I want to kill someone. I just imagine I shoot that person.

4)Depends if the person is a pyscho or something

5)HUH?

Avatar image for xoxINSOMNIACxox
xoxINSOMNIACxox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xoxINSOMNIACxox
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts
  1. I was like 12 when I started playing video games but there not really as violent as cutting someone's head off or something like that.
  2. I'm 22 now.
  3. No change or whatsoever happened to me.
  4. It's still possible for that to happen but that's up to the person him/herself.
  5. I don't care really.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

2 years old. I was playing games like Super Mario world, but occasionally, I played Mortal Kombat and stuff like that

2) How old are you now?

3) Have you noticed more aggressiveness after playing these video games?

Nope.

Funny. I did a report on this too. I concluded that it was complete BS. People are getting desensitization and aggression mixed up. What a bunch of *idiots*.

***Here are the idiots I was talking about. Bunch of suck-ups to public (*cough* Clinton) and plain fumb-ducks (*cough* Thompson)

If I have kids, they can play violent video games if they want. I'm not stupid enough to believe that my children will grow up as monsters because a guy shot another guy in the face in a VIDEO GAME.

ceruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ceruxx
Member since 2007 • 1292 Posts

I'm not violent at all and I grew up with videogames.

I think a large amount of violent media exposure can make kids more violent, and I don't think that kids younger than 7 or 8 should really be playing videogames.

However, I don't believe in this "videogames are to blame for columbine" **** If videogames induced so much violence, then why are the cases in which adolescents commit violent acts so small? The real problem is weapon accessibility.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts

1)Around 5-6

2) 15 and youngin'

3) Maybe when i was around 6-8, i tried to do what i see on tv's, but as years passed i learned that those things don't appeal much to ladies. So therefore i change when i was around 11 i think.

4)Yes and a No, Yes because some people might really digg into this violence stuffs. But im pretty sure they know what's right and wrong...

5) GO OBAMA?

jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 jfkunrendered
Member since 2005 • 8298 Posts

1. 4
2. 19
3. No, not really
4. Yes, they can. But its up to the parents to control it.
5. They need to stop

Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts

I was probably 5 or so, i guess thats when i started playing MK and SF.

2) How old are you now?

17, 18 in august

no you and better not ask again or i"ll kick your ******* 455! :P not really, i tend to cuss more though

parents are the cause of violence, if they let their kids play game that are rated beyond there age thats just irresponsible, its the parents fault if the kid ends up being a criminal, not video games

a waste of time and money, video game don't hurt people, people hurt people.

EDIT: Grammar

bl4ck_magic34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bl4ck_magic34
Member since 2008 • 52 Posts

1) about 6- SOCOM 1

2)12

3)im actually the one to resolve violence at my school

4) If you play the game long enough, your sense of reality is all screwed up (from experience: Gran Turismo, thought i was racing in my dads car)

5) OBOMA!!!.......i kno i cant vote lol

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

I started playing games at 4 yrs. old, but the 1st violent game would have to be Mortal Kombat unless you count Guerilla War. I think I was 6 or 7.

2) How old are you now?

I'm 21.

No I have not, at least not from videogames. I am only agressive when I am provoked. This happens often, but it's not the videogames. Kids become aggressive by reacting to the environment around them based on how they were taught as a child. This doesn't mean parents teach their kids to be aggressive, but the parent themself might be an aggressive or violent person. Kids learn from that. Kids are like parrots in that they mock their parents. Unknown situation = kid acting how they suppose their parent would act or someone close to them

No unless the kid is mentally challenged and is unable to perceive reality from fantasy.

Garbage. Rich people with nothing better to do.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

"Violent" is a relative term. I remember myself playing the Atari 2600 when I was 5 y.o. with games like Popeye who SMACKED Brutus real hard; Space invaders, DESTROYING alien ships; Donkey Kong, who THREW STUFF, etc.

So you can say I started at the age of 5.

2) How old are you now?

Nope, not at all...

I won't lie. I know there's really stupid people out there that get carried by anything into violence. So yeah it could happen.

They don't have anything better to do, so they take it on the video game industry when they can be doing something worthy instead.

T-Machine99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 T-Machine99
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts

1.I was about 13 when I started playing violent video games.

3. No, I play to have fun.

4. It depends on the persons age. They have to be old enough to understand.

5. What..... I seriously don't care....

Sheps21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sheps21
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts

I started playing violent videogames when I was 7 with duckhunter on the Nintendo.

I am 16 now.

I notice more aggressiveness while I play the game with my brother or friends, it gets intense, but it never carries over into life.

I could see them giving people ideas, but I really think violent video games have much less effect on me than movies, I never stop playing video games and want to go kick somebody's ass, but when I see a Jackie Chan movie, I am waiting for somebody to get in a fight with me.

Those activists are acting on a self vested interest, they haven't even experienced how the games effect them compared to movies, because if they did, they would realize that the emotion captured in movies along with the acting by real people in movies cause people to be more inclined to impersonate actions they saw in movies.

Avatar image for jeff16950_demon
jeff16950_demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 jeff16950_demon
Member since 2003 • 1240 Posts

1) Since I was 2 (Mario bros. man, crushing people with your body weight:P)
2) Almost 18
3) Nope, even after playing GTA4, CoD4, Resident evil 4, GofW etc...I could still not hurt anybody unless given an unusually huge motivation to (ie-robbing me or threatening someone else)
4) I believe that kids today seem more impressionable and they think playing games makes them cool, so it is a potential subject, but most people who have been gaming since the 90's (moreso early 90's) seem to be pretty normal to me. I don't really hang around young gamers so I have no real input on that subject. But, from my experience, nothing serious. Most things in games (I said most, not all) seem to be far fetched ways of killing, and aquiring things such as guns and rocket launchers is pretty well out of the reach of kids (least it seems that way up here in Canada, can't say for other places as I haven't lived there)
5) Those people do not know what they are talking about. From a parents perspective, I can see where they would come from, but from a gamers perspective, it's retarded. Pretty much the most influential things in the world that have the most effect on kids (or anyone) is music, movies and T.V (which one/both can be viewed on)
Plus, on a note to parents, there is an ESRB rating system there for a reason, use it to it's potential. If you still buy your kid GTA4 and wonder why someone could ever make a game like that, take a look at the freakin' person who bought it and educate yourself on the rating system! Don't blame society for violence in games, take action and don't let your kids play them. It's not everyone else's fault you threw away 60 bucks and got offended by what was on the screen. Parenting is the problem, not what someone else put into a game.

unrealplaya55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 unrealplaya55
Member since 2007 • 1278 Posts

1. about 4 with my ps1 and some helicopter game.

3. No. In fact i use games like gta to relieve stress. It helps by pretending the peds are your teachers and mowing them down.

4.no. Its the enviorment the kids are in.i belive that if the parents ignore the child alot and he grows up on violent games it might have an effect, but decent parenting will help.

5. I think they are morons that cant come to the fact that some people are just mentally ill.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

please use my input if you do email me a copy of your essay if you don't pick my input them send me a copy any way I'm interested to see your report that is if your typing this paper and not hand writing it :D

I can't remember a time in my life that I didn't play video games because I have 2 older brothers so I will say about 7 years old Mortal Kombat, but the first violent video game I ever owned was Metal Gear Solid I was 11 years old and it was rated M for mature

2) How old are you now?

I'm 20 but I turn 21 this year.

3) Have you noticed more aggressiveness after playing these video games?

That depends on the Aggressiveness your talking about if you mean getting a little upset because i can't finish god of war on god mode then yes but becoming more violent because i saw it in a game than no

Well I believe that anything can have a hand in influencing anybody just look at all the cigarette smokers out there, but as far as video games single handedly installing violent behavior in people... no i think that anyone who would let a video game make them violent has some pretty awful parents. Its the job of the parents to help there kids distinguish right from wrong, fantasy from reality etc. but I think that a violent movie would be more damaging than a video game.

It all just seems to me like we are just being feed a bunch of crap to take are minds off the real issues that have no solution in sight like the war, gas prices, health care etc. kinda brilliant strategy really because it seem to be working.

TrevCubsOr21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 TrevCubsOr21
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts

1) I was about 3 when I started playing video games.

2) 16 now

3)I havent noticed anymore agression since ive been playing games, and ive played everything from GTA to Manhunt and The Suffering.

4)As for my stance... well I dont think video in themselves can cause a child to grow up with anger and become a criminal. There just has to be somthing else wrong, like bad parenting, or growing up in a tough place. Video games are not the cause of childrens agressivness, but if im wrong... God help us all.

5. People like Thompson and Clinton... I think they should just give up. Ultimatley what it will come down to, when it comes to a young child getting a violent game, is weather the childs parents will allow it or not. Im 16 and my mom almost didnt let me get the game. I have a cousin who is 12 with two brothers, 9 and 4... believe it or not all three of them got the game before I did. Legally you have to be 17 to get the game, tell me how does a 9 and 4 year old wind up with that game? Like I said theres gotta be somthing else there like bad parenting!

TrevCubsOr21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 TrevCubsOr21
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts
Also, let me know if you use my content, but send me a copy of your essay also, regardless of if you use my content or not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts

Depends on what you call violent. But Mortal kombat at age 7-10 not exactly sure

2) How old are you now?

Only right after not long term.Like when I get into it and I die I just get frustrated but after that im cooler then Marky mark and the funky bunch (Guess what reference that is)

Definetly not. Whatever happened to people just being drug addicts or CRAZY! What happened to Crazy

Foolish enstiling blame on something that shouldnt be.

Solidshark21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Solidshark21
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts

2) How old are you now?

Matt-4542

1. i've been playing them since i was probably 7 and my first violent games were mortal kombat snes version.

2.I'm 26 now.

3.I'm more competitive at times but not really aggressive.

4.I think people have been violent since before christ was born. So no. People have a tendency to be openly racist on live but not violent.

5.I think they have no business commenting or trying to pass laws against games. sony,microsoft and nintendo put parental controls into each of their systems empowering the parents to limit the content that can be played on their machines. All the parent as to do is read and the problem is solved.

6.Depending on my childes maturity I would say yes. But I would also be more involved then simply reading the rating on the game. I would play the games with them so i could monitor them and make sure they understand what they are seeing .

Fitipali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fitipali
Member since 2003 • 424 Posts

hey man, i don't know if you know this, but Harvard recently did a study about this, you can take that as a reference too, sorry i don't have any links.

They proved it doesn't effect, and that there is something else like Movies

halfbreed11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 halfbreed11111
Member since 2007 • 578 Posts

started 9 resisdent evil and i am one the calmist ppl i know.

I cant belive i am saying this but clinton does make a good point this one

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

I started at 6, with a NES.

2) How old are you now?

20 nearing 21

No, but I did developer higher reflexes and hand eye coordination

There is a warning on the back on it, as well as there is one in the movies and explicit lyrics. The negativity is being used as a political tool, like book in the middle age and rock/metal back in the 70s/80s. The main problem comes from lack of education from both the State and the parents. Parents today barely care for what their sons are doing, and most practice the "self raising" method, which is just plain wrong. Its the parents who should teach them whats Right, and whats Wrong. The second culprit is the State. They have lightened up on the kids, especially in western countries (there is a reason why we dont see Japanese kids killing each other while we do see European or American (as the whole continent) doing so). The State in some way has to be severe, and the society has to show them the right way too. Society today is a joke in many places, people just dont respect their neighbors anymore, news channels just focus on bad stuff, movies have explicit content for people under 13, and violence is looked as a correct answer to solve problems.

But, thats not the problem. the fault is in the parents. I grew watching Saint Seiya, Predator, Lethal Weapon and many more violent movies and animes and cartoons. But Im no sociopath. Thats because my parent raised me in a proper way. They always checked that I behaved, they taught me manners for stuff as formal dinners, meeting people, and regular manners, like asking for permission or apologizing and being polite in general.

The second guilty entity here is the State. They let this stuff happen, and instead of blaming the parent, they blame the kid. But if the parents dont correct the kid, its the State the one who should do it. By the means of education. Which sadly in lets say USA, its being missused, since the "goverment" is more concerned about some stupid pride war and not his people. In other places, as Europe, the State takes care of the children, but there the fault comes from parents.

Im not from the US, but I keep myself informed. Sadly, they are not part of the solution. They are part of the problem. Why? They encorage censorship, and they take advantage of such a popular and profitable market to make a political campaign. Organizations as Mothers Against Videogames are just plain excuses to draw goverment funds, and actually waste time. Time they could be using by actually keeping an eye on their children, and forcing the goverment to increase the education fundings and psychological support for those that are more susceptible to the influence a video game can cause. Its obvious that not everyone is imperbious to that kind of content.

I dont have children, but I have a 4 year old cousin. I just gave her my old N64, but I told her mother what she should play, and when. Since she has a brother (my nephew) I told my aunt what games he could play too, and when. Because I had games as Doom in that collection, game I told her to keep away from them until they were 10.

A kid of 8 years, with good parenting should be able to play Doom 1, 2 and 64 as well as Duke Nukem 3D, since they are not that influencing. The solution is parenting.

Hope it helps, Cheers and correct my mistakes if you are going to use it, cause Im not an english speaker actually :P

Clauricaune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Clauricaune
Member since 2007 • 104 Posts

About 9-10 years old.

2) How old are you now?

Definitely. Technological improvements have opened the possibility to make more graphic and gruesome games, and it just keeps going. Also, there's the whole "psychological horror" thing, with games like Silent Hill, Condemned and such, which can truly freak out sensible people.

They can do so just as much as music, books, films, etc. But it is a supremely subjective thing. Sane and mature people (hopefully, the majority) can get a lot of catharsis from them, and use them as a rather healthy way to channel their darker energies and emotions. The effect of slaughtering hordes of enemies could be truly satisfying, in a symbolical plane. However, more unstable people may take videogames way too literally, and it could trigger a lot of unhealthy and harmful actions. But this, of course, depends of the mental state of the person, his family relations and sociocultural sorroundings, etc. (Say, the whole psychotic shooting thing appears to be more of an American phenomenon.)

They should work out their neurotic issues in group therapy.

LuIsSiUl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 LuIsSiUl
Member since 2004 • 1935 Posts

TC not for being mean...

But you do realize that, sure enough, you will most likely get dishonest answers? by putting such a controversial question on an open forum some of the people in here will be pressured into saying "I'm not a violent person and Video games are not the reason of why there's violence".

It's just a tip for your poll, you're not going to get a very accurate opinion. Besides, there is a lot of biased opinions in here regarding videogames. If you ask people in a videogame forum about violent videogames brainwashing people, you will most likely find people in denial, whereas if you ask to random people in your school you will obtain a very different perspective.

Timmeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Timmeus
Member since 2007 • 1136 Posts

clinton is a right violator, satanist, whore

titogod31

:lol:

I think I was 6 or 7.

I'm 19.

Well I do get frustrated and competitive sometimes but it usually doesn't result in me going on a killing spree.

Video-games are used as a scapegoat because people don't want to admit their failures as parents and role models.

I don't even know what those people you mention are doing but I'm glad it's not working.

DWCsUpAFrEaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DWCsUpAFrEaK
Member since 2004 • 192 Posts

2) How old are you now?

Matt-4542
i actually wrote a paper on this myself.. i can recommend that you find excerpts from the book Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games and What Parents Can Do... Also try and find some articles from the site Psch info.. that should help.. i found alot of articles form there about this topic..
shaunsdu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shaunsdu
Member since 2003 • 75 Posts

Well, that depends on your definition of violent. But I have been playing video games since the age of 3 or so. For nearly 29 years.

2) How old are you now?

I am 31 years old.

3) Have you noticed more aggressiveness after playing violent video games?

I have played Resident Evil 1-4, MGS 1-3, MGO, Wolfenstein, Doom, Mortal Kombat (all of them), Street Fighter (all of them), GTA's 1 - San Andreas, etc. And the answer is no. I have not noticed myself becoming more aggressive after playing these games. Also, after the Columbine incident, the media frequently referred to FPS's as training tools on how to use guns. This is absolutely ridiculous. If you've ever fired a real gun, you know that a video game could not possibly prepare you for the experience.

4) What is your stance on this subject? Do you think that video games can instill violent behavior in people?

My stance is this. Media, video games, or entertainment of any kind CANNOT instill violent tendencies into people. If someone has a history of violent behavior, should they play violent games, or view violent media? Probably not. On the other hand, can your average everyday person, child up to adult, play violent video games or view violent media with no adverse effects? Yes. Absolutely. I am living proof. As I said before, I have played many violent video games. I have also viewed/read violent films, television, news stories, websites, anime, comic, books, etc, etc. With no adverse effects whatsoever.

Well, I think they are exhibiting a very common human behavior. Fear. They fear what they do not understand. When something like Columbine or Virginia Tech happens, people look for some kind of explanation for the perpetrators actions. And video games are an easy scapegoat. Especially for alot of todays parents who did not grow up playing video games. Thompson's and Clinton's crusades against violent video games are no different than Fredric Wertham's crusade against comics in the 40's and 50's. The bottom line is this. Video games are a scapegoat. Nothing more. What people should be concerned with are BAD PARENTS. I don't blame Doom and Marilyn Manson for the Columbine massacre. I blame those kids' parents who paid so little attention to their children, they didn't know they were amassing an arsenal. Or maybe we should place some of the blame on the kids who bullied and terrorized these kids because they were "nerds, or geeks". If anything, our society, our culture are to blame. NOT our pop culture.

6)If you have any children, would you let them play the games you do, or not? Why?

I do not have any children. If I did, I would base my decisions on the maturity level and intelligence of my child.

Sorry if that was REALLY long. Good luck on your paper!

DeadstockJs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DeadstockJs
Member since 2008 • 26 Posts

Actually it does kind of affect kids who wernt taught properly by their parents ...

did u hear of that story of the 7 year old kid, with his friend, who smokes cigarettes(same age), taking their grandma's keys for a joyride smashing mailboxes and other cars? he thought his punishement should be a weekend without videogames (GTA4)

pistolplatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pistolplatypus
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts
I'm 31, started playing back in the NES days. I have a 9 year old son who games with me on a regular basis. He plays Oblivion, Assassins Creed, Rainbow Six Vegas (and owns alot of people online...I find it funny thinking about how those guys would feel knowing that they are getting thier ass handed to them by a 9 yo), Metal Gear (he LOVES Raiden...and I get to hear about the new kick ass Raiden ALL the time) etc. He is also a great student, almost all A's except for a 78 in spelling because he gets lazy. He is artistic, friendly and very intelligent. He has never been in a fight inspite of the fact that he always sticks up for kids that get picked on. Just goes to show what we all already know: Video games aren't the problem and don't cause people to be violent. That's just a BS out for the media.
pistolplatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pistolplatypus
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts
@ deadstockJ's: Bad parents make bad kids.
maddogg74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 maddogg74
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts
  1. 4 or 5
  2. 15
  3. No
  4. No, I dont believe that video games can instill violence. Anyway video games aren't made for children anymore their mainly made for adults now because the average gamer is in their early-late 20s these days. Anyway its the parents responsibility to monitor the video games their child is playing.
  5. I dont care about them
ynfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 ynfive
Member since 2004 • 455 Posts

about three maybe... I guess the Atari 2600 days, although its hard with those simple graphics to really determine any true violence. Pac-man chewing up a ghost shaped figure, and planes shooting up blocks of pixels that could be other planes or army men.

2) How old are you now?

Back then no... In fact as being an ADHD kid video games were usualy the least violent way for me to act out my hyperactivity

Nowdays depending on the quality a parental care it may be possible. Back in my childhood days video games were fairly unrealistic even when it outstandingly spoke of representing violence. Graphics now are far closer to what is seen in actual image representation that it can seem more real than video games of the 80's and 90's. What if the Winnie the Poo that was drawn in your storybooks took out a P90 to get to that honey, or if jet pilots in GiJoe never had a parachute when their plane blew up? Silliness aside, since video games nowdays give a more true to life depiction, it can be more tasking for our children to make a difference. Most of what these differences these children make though are on how they are raised. Parents still need to be around to give these children the right tools.

Things do need to be done, some of it is too rash and infringes on free speech art whatever the crap. More so it is a sign on our increasing global police state.

NO! They have to earn the right of showing maturity to be able to assimilate the content. Being a gamer I know of plenty of games that are good on their merits of gameplay without the sensasionalism of adult content. Give a 10yr old tetris and their in the top 10% on the SAT, or at least get a raise for being able to park jammed cars in that used car lo when they get to their mid 20's.

Matt-4542
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

1) How old were you when you started playing violent video games? Well if you define as some kind of war, then I guess I would say Combat for the Atari 2600 when I was about 5

2) How old are you now? 28

3) Have you noticed more agressiveness after playing these video games? Well to put it this way, I play game to relax and escape from reality. Anything that's going to piss me off will piss me off all the same without any "help" from video games

4) What is your stance on this subject. Do you think that video games can instill violent behavior in people? That all depends on how stupid you are and want to play "monkey see monkey do". You've got kids almost killing themselves because they watch TV shows like Jackass. But if you think about it, where's a 13 year old kid going to get a BFG or a Nuke? Seriously? But that's just a result of bad parenting, period.

5) What do you think of activists like Thompson and Clinton? Complete nut jobs that create a finger pointing society with the image of "nobody has responsibilities, so we'll blame it on a material item" and they think it's "problem solved" when they're actually creating the harm in society and not the games themselves. Ofcoarse, not to mention being the biggest hypocrites on earth.

I wouldn't expose my child until he's old enough, plain and simple. That goes far beyond just video games too. Not cause I'm going to think he's going to grab a gun and start shooting people, but because he just simply can't understand it and might actually be frightened of it.

TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#37 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

2) How old are you now?

Matt-4542

1) I was about 5 or 6 years old.

2) I'm 20.

3) Absolutely not. For me, games are in fact more of a stress release method.

4) Possibly, but certainly not in the way that is generally believed by non-gamers. I do not think that games that contain more violence are more likely to result in the gamer becoming more violent and aggressive. In my experience the main reason for people getting stressed out over games is if they are having a hard time playing it, (i.e. trouble with the controls or an unsavoury difficulty level) and the majority of people who i've seen act in this way have anger issues/ are easily stressed/ generally impatient. I do not believe that games have in any way caused such behaviour, because if so then people who are notably calmer would change their attitudes significantly, and refraining from playing games would supposedly make someone much less aggressive, which going by my own personal experience is a notion that I find absurd. If people become violent because of videogames, it's because of issues that they have and should not be blamed on the games that they play.

5) I feel that they merely don't know enough about gaming. It's not surprising and it's not a bad thing. While I do wish that they wouldn't treat gaming like it was a sin, I don't think that they're stupid, just misinformed.

As for your other question, while I don't have any children I do have an 8 year old brother who also playes games, and my family and I ensure that he doesn't play any games with an age rating above his own age. We do this because young children are much more impressionable when it comes to the media, for example they are much more likely to copy curse words that they hear. He has learned to respect these rules which was mainly due to good parenting. The main reason that young children end up playing games that contain content not suitable for them is because the parents let them. The age ratings are there for a reason and should be respected.

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#38 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
Man game violence, tv violence or even movie violence does not affect children at all! I mean just because a child plays violent games doesn't mean they'll grow up to do violent things. I played mortal kombat back in my younger days and never went outside with a harpoon gun saying "get over here" firing at people. This is all some lame excuse for parents to run to because they can't controll their kids. It's not like late at night your game pops out it's case, grows a finger, whispers "psst Hey, kid, you want to blow some people up or steal some cars?" Next thing you know paremnt s will be claiming games are the ones making their kids want to grow up to go to the army.
nexusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nexusprime
Member since 2004 • 877 Posts

1) How old were you when you started playing violent video games?Matt-4542

hmm 6 or 7

2) How old are you now?Matt-4542

22. 23 in september

3) Have you noticed more agressiveness after playing these video games?Matt-4542

Not even in the slightest

4) What is your stance on this subject. Do you think that video games can instill violent behavior in people?Matt-4542

Video games only entertain. Video games serve as the scapegoat for the mass population that refuses to acknowledge parenting and genetic short comings. If you kill or cause harm for pleasure, there is something fundamentally wrong with ~you~ and not the various forms of media.

5) What do you think of activists like Thompson and Clinton?Matt-4542

Irresponsible and ignorant cowards

Matt-4542

of course I would.

Avatar image for ragdollsrock012
ragdollsrock012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 ragdollsrock012
Member since 2007 • 396 Posts

1) About 11

2) 13

3) No, in fact after playing games like COD4 I realized how awful the war was. I already knew it was awful, but yeah.

4)I do not think so because I know many, many people (including myself) that play GTA and all those games, and I haven't gotten screwed up at all.

5) I think they have never played video games. I think they should and see if they turned all screwed up.

6) If I had kids, it would depend on their age. If they were 8, heck no. But if they were like my age, 13, then I would let them. I wouldn't be encouraging, but I would let them.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

2) How old are you now?

Matt-4542

I don't recall my exact age since I was exposed to different games that I don't consider violent, the likes of Super Mario, Sonic, etc. I guess the first violent game would be Mortal Kombat or if you consider Street Fighter series which I have grown up with.

2) How old are you now?

Twenty Six.

Not really, I don't understand where the idea of today society is getting this from, video games in my opinion are the lowest threat when it comes to violence.

I have played majority of gruesome video games during the last 15+ years and I had never felt the urge to "hurt" anyone because it can be done in video game.

4) What is your stance on this subject. Do you think that video games can instill violent behavior in people

Of course they can, but so can music, videos and any kind of media aspect. You can basically walk up to a stranger in high school, bump into him on purpose and the rest can turn into ambulance phone call. Violence is all around us, every single day in our society. Just like other life issues, such as drugs, alcohol and crime as many other examples, the more you try to "shield" and teach your kids to ignore it, the more resistant they will became to try it out.

I believe video games excuse that is used today by politicians and media are very wrong. For example, my early high school days were spent in close circle of friends who enjoy playing games together. It kept us off the streets violence and late nights endeavors.

To say that video games are "the reason" that today growing culture is to be blamed on, is very biased and single minded opinion. My, our generation, has grown up on video games. Our future governmental positions will be eventually held by those who spend countless hours enjoying their favorite game. If those so called, politicians, have actually spoken to gamers across the world, they would understand that video games are a hobby, a passing time alone or in group of people that have similar passion.

The reason why in last few years we have so much attention to video games is because the industry is becoming more and more mainstream, and it will not stop. It will only continue growing as time passes by and those who continue to look at it with closed eyes will be eventually be forced to learn about it.

No comment.

Good luck on your paper.

Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts

I started at 6, with a NES.

2) How old are you now?

20 nearing 21

No, but I did developer higher reflexes and hand eye coordination

There is a warning on the back on it, as well as there is one in the movies and explicit lyrics. The negativity is being used as a political tool, like book in the middle age and rock/metal back in the 70s/80s. The main problem comes from lack of education from both the State and the parents. Parents today barely care for what their sons are doing, and most practice the "self raising" method, which is just plain wrong. Its the parents who should teach them whats Right, and whats Wrong. The second culprit is the State. They have lightened up on the kids, especially in western countries (there is a reason why we dont see Japanese kids killing each other while we do see European or American (as the whole continent) doing so). The State in some way has to be severe, and the society has to show them the right way too. Society today is a joke in many places, people just dont respect their neighbors anymore, news channels just focus on bad stuff, movies have explicit content for people under 13, and violence is looked as a correct answer to solve problems.

But, thats not the problem. the fault is in the parents. I grew watching Saint Seiya, Predator, Lethal Weapon and many more violent movies and animes and cartoons. But Im no sociopath. Thats because my parent raised me in a proper way. They always checked that I behaved, they taught me manners for stuff as formal dinners, meeting people, and regular manners, like asking for permission or apologizing and being polite in general.

The second guilty entity here is the State. They let this stuff happen, and instead of blaming the parent, they blame the kid. But if the parents dont correct the kid, its the State the one who should do it. By the means of education. Which sadly in lets say USA, its being missused, since the "goverment" is more concerned about some stupid pride war and not his people. In other places, as Europe, the State takes care of the children, but there the fault comes from parents.

Im not from the US, but I keep myself informed. Sadly, they are not part of the solution. They are part of the problem. Why? They encorage censorship, and they take advantage of such a popular and profitable market to make a political campaign. Organizations as Mothers Against Videogames are just plain excuses to draw goverment funds, and actually waste time. Time they could be using by actually keeping an eye on their children, and forcing the goverment to increase the education fundings and psychological support for those that are more susceptible to the influence a video game can cause. Its obvious that not everyone is imperbious to that kind of content.

I dont have children, but I have a 4 year old cousin. I just gave her my old N64, but I told her mother what she should play, and when. Since she has a brother (my nephew) I told my aunt what games he could play too, and when. Because I had games as Doom in that collection, game I told her to keep away from them until they were 10.

A kid of 8 years, with good parenting should be able to play Doom 1, 2 and 64 as well as Duke Nukem 3D, since they are not that influencing. The solution is parenting.

Hope it helps, Cheers and correct my mistakes if you are going to use it, cause Im not an english speaker actually :P

kenshinhimura16

I'll correct the grammatical errors but Im going to use yours. Thanks alot for the input. Im going to use several others aswell, but I have to give my 360 forum a chance too, haha.

And also, to the people asking me to send them my essay so that they can read it. Ill just go ahead and post the essay when Im finished with it so everyone can.

thekashif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thekashif
Member since 2008 • 114 Posts

Man game violence, tv violence or even movie violence does not affect children at all! I mean just because a child plays violent games doesn't mean they'll grow up to do violent things. I played mortal kombat back in my younger days and never went outside with a harpoon gun saying "get over here" firing at people. This is all some lame excuse for parents to run to because they can't controll their kids. It's not like late at night your game pops out it's case, grows a finger, whispers "psst Hey, kid, you want to blow some people up or steal some cars?" Next thing you know paremnt s will be claiming games are the ones making their kids want to grow up to go to the army.MusashiSensi

My friends and i say that it is the exact oppisite with army games, after dying for the 50th time going to the army in real life seems like a bad idea. As to letting kids playy games, when i have them i won't let them play mc but they can play tekken all they want once the turn 10

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

2) How old are you now?

Matt-4542

1. probably at around 10-11

2. i am at the current age of 15

3 have I experinced more aggresiveness or other people? either way the answer is no, i have not seen any agressiveness

4. video games do not install violent behaviour, there may have been some cases, but other wise, it is just fiction and shouldnt affect anyone dramatically.

5. they are rather ignorant on the subject of gaming, the stuff words and scenarios into peoples brains and mouths without really caring other rather serious problems. they say untrue things about gaming based on their thoughts about it and not fact. if they were like many gamers if not all, they will see that gaming doesnt cause any truamatic problems to children or the adults playing them

if i did have children, i would let them play the games, but of course, after a certain age, like 11. children's innocence is a rarity these days and it needs to be preserved.

_instinct_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 _instinct_
Member since 2006 • 277 Posts

2) How old are you now?

Matt-4542

1) I would say i started playing midly violent video games around 9.

2) 22

3) absolutely not

4) This is always an interesting question to ask. There are many different opinions on this. Obviously asking this on a gaming forum will tend to favor a certain response. Do i believe that video games can instill violent behavior in children? Yes, i absolutely do. But I think the number of people it effects in this way is extremely small. I think it comes down to the parents. Part of the job of a parent is to know and understand their children. To know what they can and cannot handle. How they will response to certain situations and so on. With every child it is different. It is the duty of the parent to know what they can handle as well as staying on top of what their children are doing so that they do not experience violent games unless they believe their children are ready to handle such an experience.

5) Activists like Thompson and Clinton are attempting to do good but I believe that there attempts are obsurdley over the top. Most people still see video games designated for little kids. But the fact of the matter is that adults partake in video games all the time and their constant attempts to reduce all violence in games hurts a vast majority of the gaming community in an attempt to save the few who cannot handle these games responsibly. I don't see how a video game is any different than a movie. We have our rating system for both which is fine but to try and reduce video games to cute little teddy bears while movies are becoming more and more graphic is just ridiculous.

battlfrnt2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#46 battlfrnt2006
Member since 2005 • 1864 Posts

1) around 10

2) 17

3) No, I've always been an agressive person

4) God no, violent games are not the cause of violence in anyone, there's always another reason for them to go out and do something horrible..

5) I think they're completely ridiculous when it comes to games. They point the finger at violent games when the evening news can be just as violent, hell, there are TV shows and movies with more violence than a game. I think anti-gaming legislation is the result of an ignorant society.

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

not too sure, maybe 8 or so. I remember playing atari and some jet fighter game on a pink-blue screen.

2) How old are you now?

Never after playing them. Only during, like getting mad after loosing because of something dumb i did, or anything of that sort. I don't go crazy, but i get a little pissed off (and i don't believe anyone who says they don't feel anything after something frustrating happens in a game becuase you're engaged in it, whether it's real or not is not the issue), yet it doesn't have to be a violent game for me to feel that way. However, those emotions never spill into my personal life after the event is complete. They are games after all.

Yes, but only if you're crazy to begin with. Let's be real here, only weak-minded people let a game to manipulate them *allegedly* to commit acts of violence. There are people who get angry and keep t to themselves and those who react. I don't think it has anything to do with parenting in regards to the emotions a child could feel, BUT it is the parents' duty to contain thier children and deviate them from sources that could bring out the worst in them, i.e violent behavior. Basically, parents should get involved with their children as much a possible, but even that, at times, would not be enough to refrain a kid/teen/whatever if he/she os already sick in the head. As you can somewhat see, i'm not a big fan of sociology in this case, because it places all blame on upbringing and the environment; an argument that is not absolute.

Activists? LOL. They're not activists, no matter what anyone says. It's more of a Scoial responsivness (acting on demand) than a social responsibility (acting before anyone demands a change)on their part. Well, maybe that's not entirely true, but the fact is that no matter what these people say they will do, it will be difficult for them to alter any of the fundamental policies that are already in place in our political structure. But placing the blame on violent vidoegames, is very easy, so that's an example of lazy activism right there, because it doesn't fix the issue of violence. I know some people place the blame on media. true, it is guilty in a sense that it manipulates America in to doing XYZ, but it's not he only cause. Without getting into it too much, i would like the media to be capped a bit, but videogames should not be the primary concern.

So what do i do in reponse to our politics today in case you care? I stay rationally ignorant, a political/economic term if you may. I choose not to care, because the necessary costs of studying their ideology and keeping up with the political cluster**** that's going on today greatly overwieght the benefits of such knowledge. All we can do is hope that these so called "activists" have the people's best intersts in mind, because if elected (which they won't be, lol) you'll see how unoriginal they'll be, and the only "active" thing that they'll do is talk big, pun intended.

NOTE: Please don't mind any spelling issues or things that don't sound clean, i went uber fast, and for some reason i can't do spell check.

oh, and TC, for what class is this?

wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wwedx
Member since 2006 • 2014 Posts

1) How old were you when you started playing violent video games? 10
2) How old are you now?12 in may
3) Have you noticed more agressiveness after playing these video games?kinda
4) What is your stance on this subject. Do you think that video games can instill violent behavior in people?no most people have common sence
5) What do you think of activists like Thompson and Clinton? no comment

Matt-4542
Wave360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wave360
Member since 2007 • 1017 Posts

1) 4 Years Old
2) 13 Years Old
3) Not at all... If anything i feel more calm
4) Not many... I find games like manhunt do but games such as Call Of Duty or MGS dont
5) I really hate them! If they actually manage to ban violence in games it will be awful, not only will people start riots, etc. but they just wont be able to get through with it...

And if any of you have children, would you let your children play the games you do or not, and why?: Well i dont have children seeing as im 13 (Good Thing) but if i did i would act the same way my parents acted with me on the subject... (Play "T" games at 8 years old and "M" games at 12 years old. ("M" games that dont contain Nudity or Violence such as GTA or Manhunt)

kaigani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kaigani
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts

I started playing video games when i was 4

2) How old are you now?

well ive been playing video games the majority of my life and i have the ability to distingiush be whats real and whats fantasy.

As a kid, i never felt the need to go around and hit blocks with my head, wishing coins would fall out. although, in some instances kids can be influenced by what they see in video games. In those instances, the kids arent able to seperate real life and videos games. I think if you cant tell the difference between real life and fantasy you shouldnt be allowed to play video games.

violence has been around since humans have been on this planet. to say that video games or any type of media, has played a part in causing violence is pretty stupid. There have been many violent people in history, most of which didnt play video games. Cant we just say that some people are crazy and they do crazy things like kill people. then we wouldnt have to blame things on video games and the media.