Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat?

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

desk_jet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 desk_jet
Member since 2008 • 383 Posts

So this poll is pretty simply, which one do you perfer the street fighter series or the mortal kombat series, im not just talking about the recent games, i mean the series as a whole. Which do you perfer? My friend and I were having an argument about which one was better, so i thought i ask you guys what you think!

Gau0123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Gau0123
Member since 2009 • 1010 Posts
I prefer Mortal Kombat.
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

Street Fighter in every way. MK is a joke and takes far less skill, the community is garbage and I'm so sick of seeing the xray moves to the point I wont even use them.

knives913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 knives913
Member since 2011 • 142 Posts
Both are great but I like Mortal Kombat more because it's less complicated for me.
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
Just comparing the two recent games in each series, I prefer Mortal Kombat. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and you actually stand a chance against people online. I sold my copy of SSFIV a while back mainly because I could almost never win online. People take Street Fighter too seriously and were just too damn good for me to fight against. My record in SSFIV was like 100 W 350 L, and I only played that much because I wanted the 100 Wins/300 matches played trophies. My record in MK9 currently is around 250 W 140 L, so I'm doing much better in that. But as a series overall, it's tough to choose. I have many fond memories of playing both the original Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II on my SNES back in the day. I'm going to give Mortal Kombat the slight edge though, because overall I think I've just had more fun with that series.
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Superzone

Street Fighter in every way. MK is a joke and takes far less skill, the community is garbage and I'm so sick of seeing the xray moves to the point I wont even use them.

Darkslayer16
In my experience, the Street Fighter community is garbage, not MK. Almost half the time when I won a match (which wasn't very often) in SSFIV, I got hatemail. And quite I few times when I LOST a match, I still got hatemail. I have played quite a few Mortal Kombat matches online and haven't got hatemail once. Not one single time. I exchange a "good game" with everyone I meet and they always kindly "good game" me back. I rarely got those in SSFIV.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

Street fighter 4 is frustratingly difficult, to the point where it's not even fun unless you put in 50 hours of practice with one character if you want to stand a chance online. I will always prefer MK.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Darkslayer16

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

Superzone

In my experience, the Street Fighter community is garbage, not MK. Almost half the time when I won a match (which wasn't very often) in SSFIV, I got hatemail. And quite I few times when I LOST a match, I still got hatemail. I have played quite a few Mortal Kombat matches online and haven't got hatemail once. Not one single time. I exchange a "good game" with everyone I meet and they always kindly "good game" me back. I rarely got those in SSFIV.

MK consists of people that spam literally 1 move (raidens dive, noobs clone toss, smokes teleport, sheevas jump etc) then they just quit when they are losing or about to lose. Then in king of the hill give 0s for no reason. Spam hate mail no matter how you play even if you don't do a single special move all match and select random etc. Then there is the player match lobbys full of **** talkers that only care about their win loss ratio and will only fight people that are new yet think they are good. I have played around 400-500 matches and I will probably never touch the online again.

ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts
Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat has always been a joke to me.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Street fighter 4 is frustratingly difficult, to the point where it's not even fun unless you put in 50 hours of practice with one character if you want to stand a chance online. I will always prefer MK.

parvie
My thoughts exactly.
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Superzone

[QUOTE="Superzone"][QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

Darkslayer16

MK consists of people that spam literally 1 move (raidens dive, noobs clone toss, smokes teleport, sheevas jump etc) then they just quit when they are losing or about to lose. Then in king of the hill give 0s for no reason. Spam hate mail no matter how you play even if you don't do a single special move all match and select random etc. Then there is the player match lobbys full of **** talkers that only care about their win loss ratio and will only fight people that are new yet think they are good. I have played around 400-500 matches and I will probably never touch the online again.

I must be lucky and getting the respectable players then :P

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Superzone
[QUOTE="parvie"]

Masenkoe
My thoughts exactly.

Same. That sums it up perfectly. MK is much easier to get into and get good at.
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

neither actually. both games i feel they just rely on spamming the same moves over and over. street fighter im not so sure cuz i havent played online buti played a lot with friends and stuff. but id pick street fighter over MK if i had to choose.

MK is just ridiculous online. i sold it almost immediately after i beat the story mode (shao khan WTF) cuz i could barely play online cuz of the lag. and then ppl use the same characters all the time and just use the same moves, and u cant really do anything about it most of the time cuz of the lag.

the only reason ill buy a fighting game now is to play with friends or something. for me, the best fighting game ive played was the DOA series. ive always liked that game cuz theres no powers or projectile moves or none of that, its just straight up fighting. too bad its not for ps3. i also like tekken as well and soul calibur is pretty cool.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 parvie

neither actually. both games i feel they just rely on spamming the same moves over and over. street fighter im not so sure cuz i havent played online buti played a lot with friends and stuff. but id pick street fighter over MK if i had to choose.

MK is just ridiculous online. i sold it almost immediately after i beat the story mode (shao khan WTF) cuz i could barely play online cuz of the lag. and then ppl use the same characters all the time and just use the same moves, and u cant really do anything about it most of the time cuz of the lag.

the only reason ill buy a fighting game now is to play with friends or something. for me, the best fighting game ive played was the DOA series. ive always liked that game cuz theres no powers or projectile moves or none of that, its just straight up fighting. too bad its not for ps3. i also like tekken as well and soul calibur is pretty cool.

idunnodude
LMAO Joke's on you because NRS has almost completely removed the lag. Did you trade in the game immediately thinking that it wouldn't be patched? That sucks.
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 idunnodude

[QUOTE="idunnodude"]

parvie

LMAO Joke's on you because NRS has almost completely removed the lag. Did you trade in the game immediately thinking that it wouldn't be patched? That sucks.

i knew it was gonna be patched actually, i just didnt care or like the game enough to wait for it or whatever. i wouldvetraded it either way. lol i dont regret it or anything i traded it for all 3 Assassin's creed games and im very pleased with my decision. the assassin's creed games are my favourite series this gen and AC2 id say is one of my all time favourite games.

GT_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GT_33
Member since 2008 • 75 Posts

Street Fighter all the way... hands down, NO comparison

SFII > MKII

SFIII > UMK3

SFIV >> MK 2011

I enjoyed the older MK's waaaay more than the new one (don't really understand why people hype MK 2011 :/ - it's a mediocre game to me)

I like this question - I've wanted to ask it myself

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 idunnodude

Street Fighter all the way... hands down, NO comparison

SFII > MKII

SFIII > UMK3

SFIV >> MK 2011

I enjoyed the older MK's waaaay more than the new one (don't really understand why people hype MK 2011 :/ - it's a mediocre game to me)

I like this question - I've wanted to ask it myself

GT_33

yeah me neither. its a good game and all but i think the X-ray moves were a bad addition to the game. i also think that the graphics aren't really all that good for a fighting game.

Moon__Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Moon__Light
Member since 2011 • 125 Posts
BlazBlue:CS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SSF4 and MK9.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

love UMK3 or trilogy..

MK1 and MK2 are great but streetfighter 2 was better

SFalpha is great

SF4 is better than MK9 imo...

overall id say street fighter.

LankyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LankyKong
Member since 2011 • 2678 Posts

Mortal Kombat, I never liked Street Fighter.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

IMO If your new to SF it would take a lot of practice. MK is much different and I find easier to get into.

AJV91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AJV91
Member since 2011 • 214 Posts

I agree with Street Fighter taking a lot more skill. That's why I love playing MK. :DI don't mash or anything, I try and learn characters. But I don't spend hours on being unstoppable and such. I just play Mortal Kombat when I'm with friends and family.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#23 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Street Fighter series over Mortal Kombat series. I don't hate the Mortal Kombat series (I really like MK II) and I think the new Mortal Kombat game is a great return for the series.

xbxman82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xbxman82
Member since 2007 • 330 Posts

For me it's MORTAL KOMBAT.The new mk game has the nostalgia feel of back in 92 when it came out and getting it for christmas that year.Street fighter is good but i like mk more now if chun-li was in mortal kombat yeah buddy.Wish sony would remake Battle Arena Toshinden for the ps3 or ps4 that was another good fighting series along with Tekken.Can not wait for sf x tekken and tekken x sf to come out that way i can whoop that ass in sf with my tekken crew

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
SFIV is the better game, but I sure as hell play a lot more Mortal Kombat.. As far as the old games go... Just tons of MK2 and SFII in the arcades.. Don't remember which ones I liked more.. Really enjoyed them both tho.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#26 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="Superzone"][QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

Darkslayer16

I've had that exact same experience with SSFIV. If I ever try to play SSFIV online I only get into matches with Ryu or Guile, and you can guess why. They continuously spam the same moves over and over and I think I saw a person use a combo once. The couple matches I won (I'm pretty bad at fighting games) were met with the opposing player rage quitting.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

I like Mortal Kombat better. Street Fighter games are extremely well-made, but are deep and competitive playing requires a lot more time and effort than I'm willing to sink into a fighting game. Of course, that's also what makes people love it. Mortal Kombat does still require skill, but just not as much.

blaqphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 blaqphantom
Member since 2010 • 1829 Posts
the new Mortal Kombat story mode is AMAZING the best in a fighter yet, but Street Fighter is better in gameplay and balance wise.
MassiveKaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 MassiveKaos
Member since 2006 • 3876 Posts

Street fighter has better gameplay by far

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Renzokucant
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts
[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

Superzone

yea community in Mk9 seems more laid back; unlike the SF crowd who acts like they have been grandfathered in to some grand elite Fighters club
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
Mortal Kombat by a LONG shot. Street Fighter looks cool but I just can't get into it.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
I think SF is a higher quality franchise but prefer the MK series because people tend to play with more than one character. SF there are classes basicly so people tend to play with only one character because the play styles are so different.
jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
I'm actually surprised that MK is leading this poll. Difficult or not SF revolutionized the fighting genre. The first MK took that formula (like every other fighter) and added blood. Now, I've enjoyed playing both franchises... but for me SF holds a special place in my heart that MK never has. Now that I think about it, this explains why SF has such a hardcore following. It really broke the mold and hasn't been duplicated with much success.
Avatar image for brownpriderider
brownpriderider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 brownpriderider
Member since 2004 • 311 Posts

X Ray moves break the game in MK, i never use them until the guy im fighting tries using one on me, i always put the X Rays disabled code in at the VS screen but only once did sumone put it in also, and when that code is active it feels so classic and alot more fun

BoxingTheStars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BoxingTheStars
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts

neither. both those games are very overrated and I am a fighting game fan. Blazblue is where it is at!

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 parvie
[QUOTE="jshaas"]I'm actually surprised that MK is leading this poll. Difficult or not SF revolutionized the fighting genre. The first MK took that formula (like every other fighter) and added blood. Now, I've enjoyed playing both franchises... but for me SF holds a special place in my heart that MK never has. Now that I think about it, this explains why SF has such a hardcore following. It really broke the mold and hasn't been duplicated with much success.

Yeah, I think you got it: SF= HARDCORE MK= CORE But then you have some pro MK players like Michelangelo who are downright nasty.
Inmate_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Inmate_69
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts
Tough choice. I would have to say SSF4. I wreck shop with Balrog. It takes more skill than MK9. MK9 is more for casual play. I own them both.
newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

I skipped a day of school in 8th grade to play in a Street Fighter II tourney at the local arcade. I won.

SF is easily approachable, but difficult to master. It requires double joystick rotations and pressing 3 buttons. that alone is going to deter somebody that really does not play many fighting games. Especially the turbo and hyper ones in the 90's.

MK is a slower pace (with the exception of MK3 and the "run" button) and I think is just more casual fighter friendly. It requires less precision and timing. Its more about repetition and juggling. I guess thats really my only beef with it. That and the online gargles goat load on the current one.

I do love what MK did with the story mode on the current one. I thought it was awesome and think they set a benchmark that hopefully other devs will follow suit on. (namco & aksys)

-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts

Street Fighter

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MethodManFTW
[QUOTE="newhighscore"]

I skipped a day of school in 8th grade to play in a Street Fighter II tourney at the local arcade. I won.

SF is easily approachable, but difficult to master. It requires double joystick rotations and pressing 3 buttons. that alone is going to deter somebody that really does not play many fighting games. Especially the turbo and hyper ones in the 90's.

MK is a slower pace (with the exception of MK3 and the "run" button) and I think is just more casual fighter friendly. It requires less precision and timing. Its more about repetition and juggling. I guess thats really my only beef with it. That and the online gargles goat load on the current one.

I do love what MK did with the story mode on the current one. I thought it was awesome and think they set a benchmark that hopefully other devs will follow suit on. (namco & aksys)

Online has been fixed by NRS. I play pretty much every day and it's been silky smooth for a little while now.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 parvie
[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="newhighscore"]

Online has been fixed by NRS. I play pretty much every day and it's been silky smooth for a little while now.

Shoot. I just played MK online after a week long hiatus and the lag is back, for me at least. I think it had something to do with the latest patch because the one before it practically eliminated the lag but the recent one brings it back (along with desyncs). This is disappointing.
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
MK since I don't own any SF games. Though seeing those fatalities all the time gets really boring, even annoying sometimes.
ShangTsung17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ShangTsung17
Member since 2011 • 839 Posts

omg is this even a question??? MORTAL KOMBAT! ofcourse... street fighter is for FUN, mortal kombat is for REAL competitive gaming. thought everyone knew that.. lol

KhanhAgE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KhanhAgE
Member since 2004 • 1345 Posts

...I'm so sick of seeing the xray moves to the point I wont even use them.

Darkslayer16

What? X-Ray is MK's version of SF's Super. Wait, don't tell me. You never Super in SF? Please...

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

I loved them both during the 16 bit era. Today I don't play either one.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Darkslayer16

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

KhanhAgE

What? X-Ray is MK's version of SF's Super. Wait, don't tell me. You never Super in SF? Please...

I hate Juri's super so no I don't i just enhance her other moves. Xrays also irritate me in that Baraka for example stabs you in the eye and then you just get up making the tedious long animation pointless. Both xrays and super are not required to win it's just annoying because I have seen Noob, Smoke, Scorpion etc. xray animation literally hundreds of times and they add nothing to the game just make it even easier when MK has always been easy.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MethodManFTW

[QUOTE="KhanhAgE"]

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

Darkslayer16

I hate Juri's super so no I don't i just enhance her other moves. Xrays also irritate me in that Baraka for example stabs you in the eye and then you just get up making the tedious long animation pointless. Both xrays and super are not required to win it's just annoying because I have seen Noob, Smoke, Scorpion etc. xray animation literally hundreds of times and they add nothing to the game just make it even easier when MK has always been easy.

X-Rays are for n00bs... I don't think I've ever seen a pro player use one... Just say meter for breakers... But yeah, x-rays are generally pretty easy to block unless you get combo'd into one..

N---E---X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 N---E---X
Member since 2010 • 35 Posts

OMG i srsly LOLED irl when u are comparing Mortal Kombat with Street Fighter, MK RULES!

blabbyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blabbyboy
Member since 2008 • 2614 Posts
Mortal Kombat is more fun for me.
KhanhAgE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KhanhAgE
Member since 2004 • 1345 Posts

[QUOTE="KhanhAgE"]

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

Darkslayer16

I think the reason why you see X-Rays so much is because the people you play, depend on them too much. Good players save meter for breakers and enhance specials.

OK, you don't like Juri's super so you don't use it. But if you were a Yun player, you'd be using his super where ever you can.

I see people use Supers just as much as I see X-Rays. In fact, in competitive tournaments I see less X-Rays than I do Supers.