Sony's rule on exclusives.

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 baller72
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts

Hereis a post about Sony losing some exclusives. The question is do you agree with how they go about it?I know I do I feel when you buy out a company you just hurt the gamers. And yes I could care less ifMGS4 was multiplatbut I alsolike it if Halo and gears were too... lol. (I hope they don't lock it cause of that):)

How could Sony lose two of its most pivotal third-party exclusives? Jack Tretton head of Sony Computer Entertainment America revealed earlier this summer that Sony had a strict policy against "buying" exclusives. "We have a very different approach to exclusives than some of our competitors," stated Tretton. "We don't buy exclusivity, we don't fund development. We don't, for lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform."

Avatar image for kingtahktahkhuk
kingtahktahkhuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kingtahktahkhuk
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts
if they dont buy then ps3 die a horrible death
dbzfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 dbzfreak
Member since 2003 • 6223 Posts
The problem is it all boils down to $ and M$ has a lot more money to throw around then Sony. It's something that definitely bothers me.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Jack told a white lie.

GeneralX84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GeneralX84
Member since 2007 • 768 Posts
those so called PS exclusives like GTA, DMC were PS exclusives because there was no other platform
for the last gen, there were DC, GC and PS2
DC died, GC was not into mature gaming, so where could they go? but that was an advantage to us, the gamers. We could simply buy one system and enjoy all the games, now, M$ kicked in and ruined the whole thing, this is one of the reasons i hate M$, i could care less if they make some reliable systems, but the big problem is they don't!
mobius1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mobius1979
Member since 2005 • 690 Posts

if they dont buy then ps3 die a horrible deathkingtahktahkhuk

ps3 wont die ...

PS2 started out the same way as the ps3 is now. It was being out sold by the dreamcast that cmae out a year beofre ( just like the 360 vs ps3) and not that many games were coming out for it, then 2 years later it became the market leader. The ps3 is doing the exact same thing except that it s selling better than the ps2 when it came out.

So no one should worry about the PS3 i will be just fine. :)

freediro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freediro
Member since 2006 • 3782 Posts
Yeah Sony will give money to help develop for a game, but you wont see them throw 50 million at some one for two extra content to a game that really doesnt need extra content, then say if we dont make our money back you have to pay us back. the said thing is this will continue to happen until Ms decides to stop poring in money to the gaming market.
Avatar image for kingtahktahkhuk
kingtahktahkhuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kingtahktahkhuk
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts

[QUOTE="kingtahktahkhuk"]if they dont buy then ps3 die a horrible deathmobius1979

ps3 wont die ...

PS2 started out the same way as the ps3 is now. It was being out sold by the dreamcast that cmae out a year beofre ( just like the 360 vs ps3) and not that many games were coming out for it, then 2 years later it became the market leader. The ps3 is doing the exact same thing except that it s selling better than the ps2 when it came out.

thats kinda wishful thinking, m$ will stop at nothing to expand their market and pwning ps3 while at it

darren05r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 darren05r
Member since 2006 • 397 Posts

i agree with the above. M$ ruined the whole system by jumping in witht the Xbox. Now people have to decide which console to buy, which wasnt a problem for the last two generations of consoles. But to be honest, if Sony dont start buying third party devs then they are going to lose the console war. I heard, however, that there was some talk about Sony buying Rockstar, because of all the problems with Take Two etc. If this happened, it would be the scoop of the century, but if M$ got it, then Sonywould losethe console war.

To dbzfreak: M$ doesnt have a lot more money than Sony to throw around. Sony's revenue is around $70billion, while M$'s is only $50billion. The thing that bothers me is that M$ have gone out of their way to get rid of the competition, by buying up £rd party devs to get the exclusives. Sony signs deals with the 3rd party devs to get the exclusive, it doesnt go and buy them outright!

baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 baller72
In a perfect world games could be made for every platform. And you know what will suck if the PS3 does die cause of stuff like this I don't think I would be a console gamer anymore. AND THAT IS BIG. It will just feel like they are buying you and I would hate that.
jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts

[QUOTE="kingtahktahkhuk"]if they dont buy then ps3 die a horrible deathmobius1979

yea but you see the problem is that DC died because nobody was making them for it, thats why ps2 took over. now you think the same thing is gonna happen ? sorry to tell you but every1 wants to make games for the 360, it wont be as easy as before

ps3 wont die ...

locklain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 locklain
Member since 2004 • 177 Posts

In a perfect world games could be made for every platform. And you know what will suck if the PS3 does die cause of stuff like this I don't think I would be a console gamer anymore. AND THAT IS BIG. It will just feel like they are buying you and I would hate that.baller72

In the perfect world one console would be designed by all of the compies. Just think we would have one console and we wouldn't have any of this "My system is better then yours" junk and we could enjoy all of the games we like.

mobius1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mobius1979
Member since 2005 • 690 Posts
[QUOTE="mobius1979"]

[QUOTE="kingtahktahkhuk"]if they dont buy then ps3 die a horrible deathkingtahktahkhuk

ps3 wont die ...

thats kinda wishful thinking, m$ will stop at nothing to expand their market and pwning ps3 while at it

lol that s why M$ doenst make any profit on their Xbox360 even tho it s has been out almost 2 years :roll:

all i am saying wait and see, I have all 3 consoles, and to me the one that i see being successful in the future is the PS3.

Sony has enough exclusive coming from their own studios to do well.

Avatar image for 218409372945592235589581321688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 218409372945592235589581321688
Member since 2007 • 618 Posts

Jack told a white lie.

Nike_Air

Ya, I think I would have to agree. Sony may not just give a company money for an exclusive deal, but they do help them out monetarily in some case I am sure, whether it is a marketing tie-in, covering certain production costs etc.

MaximumD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 MaximumD
Member since 2007 • 1506 Posts
They don't have to buy all of them, just grab a couple of good ones here and there.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts
I own all three consoles and I hope the ps3 comes out on top. it reliable, does loads of things and has the potential to make superior games in terms of graphics, physics and game length. the ps3 is the most advanced and the best copnsole out there aty the moment M$ just tryed to make money buy using cheap tricks like getting their console out first, but in rushing they made a faulty console. at least sony opted for quality and made something worth the money you spend on it. the 360 looks cheap and half baked. I like the look of my ps3 better. my wii looks more expensive than the 360!
akuya32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 akuya32
Member since 2006 • 1166 Posts

The PS3 will be fine. Yes I would like to see more third party support, but you have to admit they have a pretty good first party list for the future. As long as thy have Socom and third party titles from Square Enix I will be a happy gamer. Sony will be fine in the long run as well as all the other compaines out there. Theres room for all three plus more as long as they have stuipd people like myself who will go out and buy any system that comes out on day one. lol

Gamers Game...Fanboys Pick Sides....

Meeks32[] - brought to you by: ps3tag.com

Invite me if you like... More Gamers the better!!!!!!

GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts
micro is sneaky i think buying third parties it make them look worse because they should not have credit for this but the third party dev. it is only money they give. sony first party is the largest there is so sony should get more credit because A. they have engineers going around showing each other the best ways ect. sony has a good first party games in ever gene that they can get credit for. the other sits on there buts and hands the check while the third party guys make the gamewhilemicrosoft get the credit. halo is the only first party game worth mentioning.
GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts

The PS3 will be fine. Yes I would like to see more third party support, but you have to admit they have a pretty good first party list for the future. As long as thy have Socom and third party titles from Square Enix I will be a happy gamer. Sony will be fine in the long run as well as all the other compaines out there. Theres room for all three plus more as long as they have stuipd people like myself who will go out and buy any system that comes out on day one. lol

Gamers Game...Fanboys Pick Sides....

Meeks32[] - brought to you by: ps3tag.com

Invite me if you like... More Gamers the better!!!!!!

akuya32
at least we all can say we get to play too because we only loose exclusives but not games. it is not like they ferget about the ps 3 and make them only on the other machine. in the future if the ps 3 out sells the rest we can safly say they will get the ports not us. then we wil have the best console ever made plus better ports = awesome gaming for us.
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
RIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT!!! So says a Sony person. Let's see... where have we heard business reps or honchos talking out of their arse, only to look like a$$e# themselves. Anyone who believes him is so easily swayed by company talk.

Hereis a post about Sony losing some exclusives. The question is do you agree with how they go about it?I know I do I feel when you buy out a company you just hurt the gamers. And yes I could care less ifMGS4 was multiplatbut I alsolike it if Halo and gears were too... lol. (I hope they don't lock it cause of that):)

How could Sony lose two of its most pivotal third-party exclusives? Jack Tretton head of Sony Computer Entertainment America revealed earlier this summer that Sony had a strict policy against "buying" exclusives. "We have a very different approach to exclusives than some of our competitors," stated Tretton. "We don't buy exclusivity, we don't fund development. We don't, for lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform."

baller72
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts

that strategy easily worked last gen... since the sheer amount of people who owned the PS2 gave publishers the incentive to make a game exclusive.

with the PS3 dead last... why would a publisher want to release an exclusive game? past good relationships and strong ties with other Japanese publishers can only go so far.

PMatt722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PMatt722
Member since 2007 • 935 Posts
thats shown to be not a very good idea....as i was a PS2 gamer planning on getting a PS3, but 360 has such a fantastic line up i couldnt pass up
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#23 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

In a perfect world games could be made for every platform. And you know what will suck if the PS3 does die cause of stuff like this I don't think I would be a console gamer anymore. AND THAT IS BIG. It will just feel like they are buying you and I would hate that.baller72

I agree completly. I have a 360 and PS3 and wish games came out on every platform. I'm stuck in the middle, always been a PS fan, but after a year with a 360 controller in my hand it's taken time to get used to the light, inferior PS3 controller, but Resistance has helped.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
They didn't do it for the PS, PS2, or PSP. Buying exclusives was never an option until MS jumped in the ring. They had to pay for friends. Besides, Sony has the 3rd largest development house in the industry, why would they invest in a 3rd party?
yanks1112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 yanks1112
Member since 2005 • 867 Posts

This is a lie. Sony has recently bought Evolution(motorstorm). Obviously, if they buy the company, their games will be exclusives.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6179303.html?sid=6179303&part=rss&subj=6179303

SOE makes games also, your statement makes no sense.

I smell a troll.

MGS-is-PS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MGS-is-PS
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts
inerior PS3 controller? it has "sixaxis" and will be getting "touchsense" really soon! what does the 360 controller have, old and boring "rumble"... i wonder which controller is inferior now huh?
barrett33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 barrett33
Member since 2007 • 215 Posts
we are forgetting sony alwase has something new up its sleve. and yea we lost gta and a few other games. but i think games like gta are great but their glory day was on ps2 and its kinda been seen already. sony is tring alot of new innovative things such as eye of judgement and many other games that are unique. and although some have failed i think with all these creative new games comming out they are going to shape up how the new generation will look while x box is still stealing old franchises from last generation. remember so many great game franchises started with ps2 and we can expect the same for ps3. yea the old stuff will still be there but lets not worry as much about the old stuff when we know some new creative projects are under way. and in the end sony still will have the exclusives on their platfrom even if its mulitpalt but many games are remaining with sony like be best rpg franchise FF the best racing sim GT and of couse great games like MGS socom GOW and many others. i seriously think after this holiday season things will look better for sony.
locklain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 locklain
Member since 2004 • 177 Posts

inerior PS3 controller? it has "sixaxis" and will be getting "touchsense" really soon! what does the 360 controller have, old and boring "rumble"... i wonder which controller is inferior now huh?MGS-is-PS

I don't know why everyone feels the controller is "inferior" because it is light. The controllers are built with the same sturdiness of their dualshock counter parts. The only thing missing are the heavy rumble motors.

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 c0mplex

** last two posts **

/reported

casey7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 casey7672
Member since 2006 • 5348 Posts

baller72

He wasn't totally truthful then because I know with Killzone 2 and MGS 4 that Sony has stated that if when they release those games if they don't reach their profit margine then Sony will make up the difference. So basically they make a certain profit within a few months after they release or Sony pays them the difference.

This is what stopped MGS 4 from going multiplat.

baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 baller72
[QUOTE="baller72"]

casey7672

He wasn't totally truthful then because I know with Killzone 2 and MGS 4 that Sony has stated that if when they release those games if they don't reach their profit margine then Sony will make up the difference. So basically they make a certain profit within a few months after they release or Sony pays them the difference.

This is what stopped MGS 4 from going multiplat.

That makes sense, but if it did go multi I could care less. Even though I know Sony needs this game to be just on the PS3 for a while to get some popularity. I guess I should change my answer to there should just be one game system. The PlayBOx 720 & 4...lol

BigNiceJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BigNiceJohn
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts

360 pwns all hahhahaha wii sucks the ass and the balls ban me mods come onthomass60r

Ask and ye shall receive.

Goodbye Level 23 account.

BigNiceJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BigNiceJohn

First of all, we all know that's not true.

Secondly, even if it were, there would still be a good portion of people (at this point, I'd say me included) who would still side with Sony. What good are exclusives if your hardware platform conks out every 20 minutes?

Question 1: Does it have games (exclusive or otherwise)?

Question 2: Does it turn on consistently?

If the console can answer yes to both, I'll buy it.

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 c0mplex

Secondly, even if it were, there would still be a good portion of people (at this point, I'd say me included) who would still side with Sony. What good are exclusives if your hardware platform conks out every 20 minutes?

BigNiceJohn

even the RROD doesn't keep multiplatform titles selling best on the 360 (even Madden on 360 beat out the PS2 version). and really... isn't that what counts whena publisher decides to side with a console maker that is giving them no incentive to do so otherwise?

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts
OLD that article was even before E3. Im pretty sure Sony has bought exclusives this generation thats how they probably kept MGS4 and FF.
BigNiceJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BigNiceJohn
[QUOTE="BigNiceJohn"]

c0mplex

even the RROD doesn't keep multiplatform titles selling best on the 360 (even Madden on 360 beat out the PS2 version). and really... isn't that what counts whena publisher decides to side with a console maker that is giving them no incentive to do so otherwise?

While I agree with you, there were other issues that certainly factored into Madden sale totals though. Running a full 30FPS slower than your competitor's version tends to stifle sales and quickly.

ShmenonPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ShmenonPie
Member since 2007 • 1117 Posts
No, Sony don't do that, that's the non-Japanese competition...
bluntiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bluntiss
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts

if they dont buy then ps3 die a horrible deathkingtahktahkhuk

I agree with you.. By not buying exclusives they are burying themselves. Everybody is doing it for just about anything money talks, @#$@#$walks (Jack Tretton). Blu ray is doing it, HD is doing it. HP, DELL, IBM, ORACLE, EA, Activision They're all doing it in their own way.. Wake sony... That's the way it is.

bluntiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bluntiss
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts

[QUOTE="MGS-is-PS"]inerior PS3 controller? it has "sixaxis" and will be getting "touchsense" really soon! what does the 360 controller have, old and boring "rumble"... i wonder which controller is inferior now huh?locklain

I don't know why everyone feels the controller is "inferior" because it is light. The controllers are built with the same sturdiness of their dualshock counter parts. The only thing missing are the heavy rumble motors.

Alot more people prefer the 360 controller fyi

cf2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cf2012
Member since 2007 • 330 Posts
bRIBE..LOL Thats exactly what ive been saying. MS buying exclusives is just modern day bribery. Nothing more and it does hurt the gaming industry cause its unfair practice bad business ethics. Look at EA bribing the NFL. Now they dont have any competition so there Madden sucks every year and it hasnt changed. Then u look at the NHL series. Look how they turned things around because of the competition.
11_17_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 11_17_06
Member since 2006 • 765 Posts
I'm not worried about the ps3 future. It was the same bs with the ps2.
cf2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cf2012
Member since 2007 • 330 Posts

I'm not worried about the ps3 future. It was the same bs with the ps2.11_17_06

Exactly. People are listening to the lemtards too much. There just fanboys with nothing more then to hate on the ps3. Its pathetic. Then when there 3fixme takes a crap they go and buy a ps3 and swear they never said anything bad about it.

cloud121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 cloud121
Member since 2003 • 488 Posts
yea i also agree the 360 mayb be a good console now but in a year or two sony is going be reigning over the wii and the 360. Most likely microsoft will make a new system as the halo edition 360. No matter what bashing i hear about the ps3 is jus BS. IF DMC 4 and MGS and other good games didnt get ported PS3 wud kill 360 in a instant.
GeneralX84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GeneralX84
Member since 2007 • 768 Posts

yea i also agree the 360 mayb be a good console now but in a year or two sony is going be reigning over the wii and the 360. Most likely microsoft will make a new system as the halo edition 360. No matter what bashing i hear about the ps3 is jus BS. IF DMC 4 and MGS and other good games didnt get ported PS3 wud kill 360 in a instant.cloud121

DMC4 got ported to 360

Gotrea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gotrea
Member since 2005 • 49 Posts
yea i also agree the 360 mayb be a good console now but in a year or two sony is going be reigning over the wii and the 360. Most likely microsoft will make a new system as the halo edition 360. No matter what bashing i hear about the ps3 is jus BS. IF DMC 4 and MGS and other good games didnt get ported PS3 wud kill 360 in a instant.cloud121

Yes I agree. I love the 360 and the PS3 but the fact is I think the XBox 360has the worst fan base in the history of games. Even worse then the fighting between the PS and N64 and trust me that was bad.

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 c0mplex

bRIBE..LOL Thats exactly what ive been saying. MS buying exclusives is just modern day bribery. Nothing more and it does hurt the gaming industry cause its unfair practice bad business ethics. Look at EA bribing the NFL. Now they dont have any competition so there Madden sucks every year and it hasnt changed. Then u look at the NHL series. Look how they turned things around because of the competition.cf2012

you do know Sony financed FFVII as publisher to lock that exclusive on the PS1.

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 c0mplex

I'm not worried about the ps3 future. It was the same bs with the ps2.11_17_06

the PS2 was never in last place...

dbzfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 dbzfreak
Member since 2003 • 6223 Posts

i agree with the above. M$ ruined the whole system by jumping in witht the Xbox. Now people have to decide which console to buy, which wasnt a problem for the last two generations of consoles. But to be honest, if Sony dont start buying third party devs then they are going to lose the console war. I heard, however, that there was some talk about Sony buying Rockstar, because of all the problems with Take Two etc. If this happened, it would be the scoop of the century, but if M$ got it, then Sonywould losethe console war.

To dbzfreak: M$ doesnt have a lot more money than Sony to throw around. Sony's revenue is around $70billion, while M$'s is only $50billion. The thing that bothers me is that M$ have gone out of their way to get rid of the competition, by buying up £rd party devs to get the exclusives. Sony signs deals with the 3rd party devs to get the exclusive, it doesnt go and buy them outright!

darren05r
Yes, but Sony has their hands on more things so in the end they sometimes shoot themselves in the foot by blowing money on some of their divisions. M$ isn't nearly as spread out.