Sony: 4.48 Million PS3 Units Sold Worldwide

• 48 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Killzall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Killzall
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts

Throughout most of 2007, sales of the PS3 have lagged. But with the advent of the price drop and a great E3 showing, Sony has seen a steep increase in sales of their next-gen system. Yesterday, Sony revealed their fiscal year 2007 Q1 earnings, and worldwide sales of the PS3 currently sit at 4.48 million. Further, they expect to hit 14.5 million units sold by the end of March 2008.

Of that 4.48 million, 3.57 million came in the final half of the previous year (Sony only managed to sell about 700,000 PS3s in the first quarter of 2007), and they intend to sell more than 10 million more systems over the next three quarters. So the PS3 is experiencing quite the upswing, but both the PS2 and PSP continue to perform even better. The PS2 remains amazingly strong, as 2.7 million units sold in the first quarter of 2001; 400,000 more than Sony sold in Q1 2006. PSP sales rose even further: Sony reported selling 2.14 million units, a year-over-year increase of 700,000. Sony expects sales of the PS2 to top 10 million in fiscal 2007, and they anticipate that sales of the PSP will hit 9 million units.

These results are good news for Sony, especially in the PS3 department. And with a huge fall and winter on the way - software-wise - it's not surprising to hear the company's fiscal 2007 projections.

Link http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/1599.html

ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
good news... but PS2 and PSP selling stronger shouldn't be much of a surprise. The PSP is a portable and MUCH cheaper. As far as the PS2 goes, Phill Harrison said that the PSone sold 60 percent of its total units AFTER the PS2 launched. It'll be the same with the PS2 and the PS3. Price makes a big difference and it'll be a year or two before the PS3 gets into full gear. They planned for this. Sony doesnt just abandon its past console as soon as their new one arrives like Microsoft and Nintendo. Its more a graded transition.
bluntiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bluntiss
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts
They mean shippped not sold to customers. They can ship 100 million but doesn't mean anybody is buying them.. The costco by my house has stacks and stacks of ps3's... It's great that they dropped their price for a limited time, but when that time runs out, they'll be dead last again.. It's clear that graphics don't mean anything. We all learned that from last generation..
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
Good news.
Killzall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Killzall

good news... but PS2 and PSP selling stronger shouldn't be much of a surprise. The PSP is a portable and MUCH cheaper. As far as the PS2 goes, Phill Harrison said that the PSone sold 60 percent of its total units AFTER the PS2 launched. It'll be the same with the PS2 and the PS3. Price makes a big difference and it'll be a year or two before the PS3 gets into full gear. They planned for this. Sony doesnt just abandon its past console as soon as their new one arrives like Microsoft and Nintendo. Its more a graded transition. ajefferism

to be honest the xbox not the 360 was kind of dead everywhere except the united states anyway and the gamecube... they really didn't have to much of a choice than to discontinue them but the ps2 should be discontinued as well because all it's doing is hindering the ps3s sells at this point.

raversnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 raversnet
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Actually bluntiss. They mean sold. Projections are based on sales not shipped. Do you think mcdonalds bases its sales on stock of burgers in their warehouses? or Register sales? Ok then.
bluntiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bluntiss

Actually bluntiss. They mean sold. Projections are based on sales not shipped. Do you think mcdonalds bases its sales on stock of burgers in their warehouses? or Register sales? Ok then.raversnet

No my unknowing friendthey don't mean sold.they mean shipped. I work within the technology field and knowthat when a technology company says this, they mean shipped.. Mcdonalds is in a different market all together, their product spoils pretty quickly..IT's not even comparable. I have a ps3 so don't think I'm some sort of fanboy...

bluntiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bluntiss

[QUOTE="raversnet"]Actually bluntiss. They mean sold. Projections are based on sales not shipped. Do you think mcdonalds bases its sales on stock of burgers in their warehouses? or Register sales? Ok then.bluntiss

No my unknowing friendthey don't mean sold.they mean shipped. I work within the technology field and knowthat when a technology company says this, they mean shipped.. Mcdonalds is in a different market all together, their product spoils pretty quickly..IT's not even comparable. I have a ps3 so don't think I'm some sort of fanboy...

And to top it off, you can't trust a fanboy site either.. They are paid to say certain things you know, hence the reason for the existence in the first place. These figures would be put in real new's journals, not psnetwork websites.. JEEZ

Killzall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Killzall
[QUOTE="bluntiss"]

[QUOTE="raversnet"]Actually bluntiss. They mean sold. Projections are based on sales not shipped. Do you think mcdonalds bases its sales on stock of burgers in their warehouses? or Register sales? Ok then.bluntiss

And to top it off, you can't trust a fanboy site either.. They are paid to say certain things you know, hence the reason for the existence in the first place. These figures would be put in real new's journals, not psnetwork websites.. JEEZ

This site does have a 360 page as well. And if you haven't noticed gamespot is biased as well

yourboytris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 yourboytris

actually its not too far from the truth...

here's an article that was about the Wii, but displays sony's totals in sales.

http://gamers-creed.com/?p=171.

longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 longhorn7
Member since 2007 • 4637 Posts
[QUOTE="bluntiss"]

actually they have announced at e3 that they have almost shipped 11 million ps3s worldwide. you are wrong. get over it.
Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

Sory, you really are wrong there. Sony stated many times that when they say 'sold' it means 'sold to consumers' and not shipped.

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
[QUOTE="bluntiss"]

[QUOTE="raversnet"]Actually bluntiss. They mean sold. Projections are based on sales not shipped. Do you think mcdonalds bases its sales on stock of burgers in their warehouses? or Register sales? Ok then.Nightflash28

Sory, you really are wrong there. Sony stated many times that when they say 'sold' it means 'sold to consumers' and not shipped.

sold not shipped. is it reallythat hard to believe bluntiss. awfully trollish of you to keep arguing it the other way around. u sure you got that ps3, i noticed a lot of 360 games and rating on your profile.

raversnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 raversnet
[QUOTE="bluntiss"]

Actually i said projections by accident. But since im a stock trader...albeit mostly in energy stocks. I can tell you that its a sales based figure. Not stock on hand. LOL That would just be stupid. Could they lie about those numbers a bit? Sure its happened before in any market. But they do mean sales, and if you include the other side of the planet where sales have been pretty decent. Then its a completely believable figure. By comparison the ps3 is doing better than the 360 did in the same time frame. Both are great systems. But Sony kind of has the leg up here as future stocks. Why? Ps2. For anyone with a massive library of the most successful game system of all time. The Ps3 is the most logical next gen system. Thats just the way i would look at it. *shrug

peppeaccardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 peppeaccardo
Member since 2003 • 164 Posts

Sorry to contradict you but SONY is using a new strategy to file their financial report and the 4 Mil + PS3 units are SOLD not shipped ....

longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 longhorn7
[QUOTE="Nightflash28"][QUOTE="bluntiss"]

[QUOTE="raversnet"]Actually bluntiss. They mean sold. Projections are based on sales not shipped. Do you think mcdonalds bases its sales on stock of burgers in their warehouses? or Register sales? Ok then.Rakuho

sold not shipped. is it reallythat hard to believe bluntiss. awfully trollish of you to keep arguing it the other way around. u sure you got that ps3, i noticed a lot of 360 games and rating on your profile.

i think he does me and a clanmate were playing a team sharphsooter match on rainbow six last night and it was either bluntiss or a guy with a similar name that we just destroyed the whole time. it was like 2 on 2 and we won 34-8
Killzall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Killzall

Alright leave the guy alone I think he gets the point now.

Judonwanit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Judonwanit
Member since 2005 • 1246 Posts
I think its great that Sony doesn't discontinue their ps2,  if it weren't for my income tax this year i wouldn't have a ps3 or hd tv...some people cant afford the ps3 at the moment and are really enjoying their ps2's cuz of new games.  Alot of people still buy them and will continue buying them through the years, its got a huge catalog(of games).  As for the 4.48 million sold, thats great...at 600 each system they're hitting like 2 trillion and "change" lol. 
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rakuho
[QUOTE="bluntiss"][QUOTE="bluntiss"]

[QUOTE="raversnet"]Actually bluntiss. They mean sold. Projections are based on sales not shipped. Do you think mcdonalds bases its sales on stock of burgers in their warehouses? or Register sales? Ok then.raversnet

Actually i said projections by accident. But since im a stock trader...albeit mostly in energy stocks. I can tell you that its a sales based figure. Not stock on hand. LOL That would just be stupid. Could they lie about those numbers a bit? Sure its happened before in any market. But they do mean sales, and if you include the other side of the planet where sales have been pretty decent. Then its a completely believable figure. By comparison the ps3 is doing better than the 360 did in the same time frame. Both are great systems. But Sony kind of has the leg up here as future stocks. Why? Ps2. For anyone with a massive library of the most successful game system of all time. The Ps3 is the most logical next gen system. Thats just the way i would look at it. *shrug

u are corect my friend. and has the Ps3 really sold beter in this tme frame than the 360?i was never really interested in sales figures that much anyway, but it must really make the MS fanboys look pretty hypocritical when they bashed the PS3 sales, did they just ignore that time frame as if it never happened for the 360? i hope the numbers speak for themselves.

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rakuho
[QUOTE="Rakuho"][QUOTE="Nightflash28"][QUOTE="bluntiss"]

[QUOTE="raversnet"]Actually bluntiss. They mean sold. Projections are based on sales not shipped. Do you think mcdonalds bases its sales on stock of burgers in their warehouses? or Register sales? Ok then.longhorn7

i think he does me and a clanmate were playing a team sharphsooter match on rainbow six last night and it was either bluntiss or a guy with a similar name that we just destroyed the whole time. it was like 2 on 2 and we won 34-8

you can check if ya want, he has r6v for 360. i really don't care but don't you feel like the trolling is unnecesary

longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 longhorn7
[QUOTE="longhorn7"][QUOTE="Rakuho"][QUOTE="Nightflash28"][QUOTE="bluntiss"]

[QUOTE="raversnet"]Actually bluntiss. They mean sold. Projections are based on sales not shipped. Do you think mcdonalds bases its sales on stock of burgers in their warehouses? or Register sales? Ok then.Rakuho

you can check if ya want, he has r6v for 360. i really don't care but don't you feel like the trolling is unnecesary

definately unneccessary i was just adding in the fact that i thought i played him and kicked his ass :P
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts
sony lies alot about these things, sony's numbers dont match any other numbers out there. They are really at about 3.5 million consoles sold to customers. That isnt terrible.
longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 longhorn7
sony lies alot about these things, sony's numbers dont match any other numbers out there. They are really at about 3.5 million consoles sold to customers. That isnt terrible.kevy619
:roll:
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rakuho
[QUOTE="Rakuho"][QUOTE="longhorn7"][QUOTE="Rakuho"][QUOTE="Nightflash28"][QUOTE="bluntiss"]

[QUOTE="raversnet"]Actually bluntiss. They mean sold. Projections are based on sales not shipped. Do you think mcdonalds bases its sales on stock of burgers in their warehouses? or Register sales? Ok then.longhorn7

definately unneccessary i was just adding in the fact that i thought i played him and kicked his ass :P

in any case, i congradulate you :) that's a landslide of a score, i wish i was that good at it, but i didn't play it much yet.

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rakuho

[QUOTE="kevy619"]sony lies alot about these things, sony's numbers dont match any other numbers out there. They are really at about 3.5 million consoles sold to customers. That isnt terrible.longhorn7
:roll:

not another one... :(

can we just put a lock or something

FireFalkon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FireFalkon
Member since 2004 • 866 Posts
wasn't it already confirmed that sony shipped 6 million ps3 and the retailers already sold 4.5 million units?
longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 longhorn7
wasn't it already confirmed that sony shipped 6 million ps3 and the retailers already sold 4.5 million units?FireFalkon
i know at e3 they said that they have almost hit the 11 million mark shipping wise. And someone the other day posted a link to a statement from sony stating that they had sold 6.6 in their newest report. but who really knows or cares?
FireFalkon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FireFalkon
Member since 2004 • 866 Posts
i know at e3 they said that they have almost hit the 11 million mark shipping wise. And someone the other day posted a link to a statement from sony stating that they had sold 6.6 in their newest report. but who really knows or cares?
longhorn7
NPD knows, and it seems that the fanboys care
gaa0c85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 gaa0c85
Member since 2004 • 466 Posts
Thats coooooooooooool
Shaqneel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shaqneel
Member since 2006 • 1413 Posts
wasn't there recently something which said the ps3 has sold 6 million units. well either 4.48 or 6 is good news, and I wouldn't be surprised if it sold at least a couple million more over the rest of this year.
Killzall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Killzall

wasn't there recently something which said the ps3 has sold 6 million units. well either 4.48 or 6 is good news, and I wouldn't be surprised if it sold at least a couple million more over the rest of this year. Shaqneel

I think it was shipped 6 million.

Avatar image for ashitaka_hamana
ashitaka_hamana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ashitaka_hamana
Member since 2004 • 44 Posts

Hey Blunt...get your numbers straight my nay-sayin' friend....the shipped consoles are at 6 million, which was announced a while back in Australia http://www.digitalbattle.com/2007/07/30/ps3-sells-6-million-worldwide/ ...according to retail stats the actual consoles has reached 4.5 mil (in homes)...so stop pullin info out of your pie hole...thx

SK

Taioa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Taioa
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts

If there is an increase in shipping, there is an increase in demand. You don't need to be a smartass to know that.

giton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 giton
Member since 2007 • 1745 Posts

like most others I believe that the numbers sony reports are sold not shipped, but i won't take a hard stand on it. nuf said.

what I really wanted to do was reply to that idea that the ps2 cuts into sales of the ps3. I don't believe it does. sales of the ps2 helps to strengthen the base of sony game players among those who would not / could not spend the dough for a ps3. those are buyers who might otherwise buy wii if sony stopped selling the ps2. but they go ahead and buy the ps2 instead of the wii, and they build their ps2 library of games knowing that they can step up to a ps3 later and still play them. and if they don't buy a ps3 they still might buy a ps4 some day. sony is smart to keep the ps2 around. someday they'll put a bullet in it, but until they do, they only help build their future market. very smart.

Killzall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Killzall

like most others I believe that the numbers sony reports are sold not shipped, but i won't take a hard stand on it. nuf said.

what I really wanted to do was reply to that idea that the ps2 cuts into sales of the ps3. I don't believe it does. sales of the ps2 helps to strengthen the base of sony game players among those who would not / could not spend the dough for a ps3. those are buyers who might otherwise buy wii if sony stopped selling the ps2. but they go ahead and buy the ps2 instead of the wii, and they build their ps2 library of games knowing that they can step up to a ps3 later and still play them. and if they don't buy a ps3 they still might buy a ps4 some day. sony is smart to keep the ps2 around. someday they'll put a bullet in it, but until they do, they only help build their future market. very smart.

giton

Yes I agree with some of your points but lets say if someones ps2 breaks they can just go out and buy a new ps2 but, if the ps2 was discontinued they might be more inclined to just get a ps3 instead.

t3ss3ract

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 t3ss3ract
Member since 2005 • 518 Posts
Its 6 million shipped 4.5 million sold. Look at wikipedia sources.
giton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 giton
Member since 2007 • 1745 Posts
[QUOTE="giton"]

Killzall

Yes I agree with some of your points but lets say if someones ps2 breaks they can just go out and buy a new ps2 but, if the ps2 was discontinued they might be more inclined to just get a ps3 instead.

yep they can buy a new ps2 and keep adding to their game library - or they can look at the price of the ps3 and some will be able to make the jump, some won't be ready - so if the ps2 isn't around the latter group will go wii or the ebay resale market. no net benefit for sony.

anyway i bet that even though the retail price of the ps2 is much lower than the ps3, sony prolly has a higher profit margin on them because of how long the technology has been around and the economies of manufacturing at that scale. cash cow.

cmencia55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cmencia55
Member since 2003 • 133 Posts

They mean shippped not sold to customers. They can ship 100 million but doesn't mean anybody is buying them.. The costco by my house has stacks and stacks of ps3's... It's great that they dropped their price for a limited time, but when that time runs out, they'll be dead last again.. It's clear that graphics don't mean anything. We all learned that from last generation.. bluntiss

Man when it comes to next gen, graphics always mean something..

thomass60r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 thomass60r
Member since 2006 • 1928 Posts

Throughout most of 2007, sales of the PS3 have lagged. But with the advent of the price drop and a great E3 showing, Sony has seen a steep increase in sales of their next-gen system. Yesterday, Sony revealed their fiscal year 2007 Q1 earnings, and worldwide sales of the PS3 currently sit at 4.48 million. Further, they expect to hit 14.5 million units sold by the end of March 2008.

Of that 4.48 million, 3.57 million came in the final half of the previous year (Sony only managed to sell about 700,000 PS3s in the first quarter of 2007), and they intend to sell more than 10 million more systems over the next three quarters. So the PS3 is experiencing quite the upswing, but both the PS2 and PSP continue to perform even better. The PS2 remains amazingly strong, as 2.7 million units sold in the first quarter of 2001; 400,000 more than Sony sold in Q1 2006. PSP sales rose even further: Sony reported selling 2.14 million units, a year-over-year increase of 700,000. Sony expects sales of the PS2 to top 10 million in fiscal 2007, and they anticipate that sales of the PSP will hit 9 million units.

These results are good news for Sony, especially in the PS3 department. And with a huge fall and winter on the way - software-wise - it's not surprising to hear the company's fiscal 2007 projections.

Link http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/1599.html

Killzall
the gba advance outsold the so called "powerhouse" and 14.5 million by march 08 wow that is so wrong its selling so slow 4.4 million is miles of the wii and 360
lextexrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lextexrex
Member since 2003 • 1311 Posts

[QUOTE="ajefferism"]good news... but PS2 and PSP selling stronger shouldn't be much of a surprise. The PSP is a portable and MUCH cheaper. As far as the PS2 goes, Phill Harrison said that the PSone sold 60 percent of its total units AFTER the PS2 launched. It'll be the same with the PS2 and the PS3. Price makes a big difference and it'll be a year or two before the PS3 gets into full gear. They planned for this. Sony doesnt just abandon its past console as soon as their new one arrives like Microsoft and Nintendo. Its more a graded transition. Killzall

to be honest the xbox not the 360 was kind of dead everywhere except the united states anyway and the gamecube... they really didn't have to much of a choice than to discontinue them but the ps2 should be discontinued as well because all it's doing is hindering the ps3s sells at this point.

Why would sony do that? If there are 7 million PS2 owners, why would they want to abandon them. I think the PS2 helps makeup for any losses with the PS3. If they realease just one killer game for the PS2 and every PS2 owner buys it, guess how much they make?

Bolund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bolund
Member since 2004 • 581 Posts
[QUOTE="Killzall"]

[QUOTE="ajefferism"]good news... but PS2 and PSP selling stronger shouldn't be much of a surprise. The PSP is a portable and MUCH cheaper. As far as the PS2 goes, Phill Harrison said that the PSone sold 60 percent of its total units AFTER the PS2 launched. It'll be the same with the PS2 and the PS3. Price makes a big difference and it'll be a year or two before the PS3 gets into full gear. They planned for this. Sony doesnt just abandon its past console as soon as their new one arrives like Microsoft and Nintendo. Its more a graded transition. lextexrex

Why would sony do that? If there are 7 million PS2 owners, why would they want to abandon them. I think the PS2 helps makeup for any losses with the PS3. If they realease just one killer game for the PS2 and every PS2 owner buys it, guess how much they make?

God of War 2 lol

amourkiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 amourkiss
Member since 2003 • 1751 Posts
VG chart still at 4.01 million
Absynthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Absynthetic
Member since 2004 • 1897 Posts
[QUOTE="Killzall"]

[QUOTE="ajefferism"]good news... but PS2 and PSP selling stronger shouldn't be much of a surprise. The PSP is a portable and MUCH cheaper. As far as the PS2 goes, Phill Harrison said that the PSone sold 60 percent of its total units AFTER the PS2 launched. It'll be the same with the PS2 and the PS3. Price makes a big difference and it'll be a year or two before the PS3 gets into full gear. They planned for this. Sony doesnt just abandon its past console as soon as their new one arrives like Microsoft and Nintendo. Its more a graded transition. lextexrex

i think the ps2 has 2-3 more years at most before development stops completely for that console extending it to that 10 year life span

t3ss3ract

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 t3ss3ract
Member since 2005 • 518 Posts
[QUOTE="Killzall"]

7 Million? There are 120.10 million shipped world wide.

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 Quadrifoglio
Member since 2006 • 5451 Posts

good news... but PS2 and PSP selling stronger shouldn't be much of a surprise. The PSP is a portable and MUCH cheaper. As far as the PS2 goes, Phill Harrison said that the PSone sold 60 percent of its total units AFTER the PS2 launched. It'll be the same with the PS2 and the PS3. Price makes a big difference and it'll be a year or two before the PS3 gets into full gear. They planned for this. Sony doesnt just abandon its past console as soon as their new one arrives like Microsoft and Nintendo. Its more a graded transition. ajefferism

Yeah, but the PS2 didn't bomb like the Xbox and Gamecube..

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

They mean shippped not sold to customers. They can ship 100 million but doesn't mean anybody is buying them.. The costco by my house has stacks and stacks of ps3's... It's great that they dropped their price for a limited time, but when that time runs out, they'll be dead last again.. It's clear that graphics don't mean anything. We all learned that from last generation.. bluntiss
your local shop isn't a projections of world wide shops.

good. PS2 is still on a roll!

Avatar image for GamersNightmare
GamersNightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GamersNightmare
Member since 2006 • 621 Posts

TO Sony, all the systems shipped are sold. You don't think they give these system to Walmart/Gamespot etc, etc for free now do you. They buy them so they are sold and now it's upto the stores to sell them. Anything that leaves Sony is already sold so yes they do count regardless of who has any lying around in there warehouse.