so, most of the PS3 games may not use blueray disk??

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bunnyslippers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Bunnyslippers
Member since 2003 • 2171 Posts
[QUOTE="Bunnyslippers"][QUOTE="sunscorch"][QUOTE="islandkiwi"]

I did state that was my opinion.  If anyone wishes to come up with hard data stating that Blu-Ray processes faster than todays red lasers, I would welcome that info.  I believe PS3 will use that red laser, being cheaper and more reliable.  Sony has not said games will be released on Blu-Ray.  I expect some games will be, but really that's just an expectation.  If Sony says Blu-Ray will only be for movies, will that keep you from buying the system?

Saying that there are unnamed developers developing multi-disc games for the 360 doesn't fly.  Might as well start the sentence with, I heard from this guy...

Finally, GTA being six times the size does not mean it can't fit on one disc.  Wait until the developers say something.

sunscorch

out of curiousity. are you saying there will be 2 lazers in the PS3?

.if so

. :lol: fool.

From the official PS3 specs

Disc Media
CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Now you tell me how PS3 can read the cd's and dvd's without a red-laser and only a blue-laser.

BTW you will get owned if you don't post a decent awnser.

*folds hands and points index fingers upward*

I guess I don't know what lazers are capable of. I expected more. I have been owned. but out of curiousity. why do CD's and DVD's use the same lazer if the disc space is different? I expected the blu-ray lazer to work similar.

I am guessing HD-DVD blue laser is compatible with DVD's. Because HD-DVD has been developed with backwards-compatibilty in mind. I am not sure though. But what you said is not totally wrong.

I am also curious if PS3 has a higher read-speed/bitrate for DVD's than blu-ray. And how will it effect the loading time in games.

miiiguel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#52 miiiguel
Member since 2005 • 1940 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but as far as I'm concerned, I don't mind, in a linear game - such as Halo - to have multiple discs, as a matter of fact, I even prefer it that way - call me a geek, but I love my multiple DVD discs stored in my collection, it gives me the sense of more for the euro. On the other hand in a game with a 'cubic' approach - such as GTA - the disc swap may, in some extent, can distract from the game imersion. But..., I kinda understand, that for a machine that costed me 400Eur., in 2005, can make sense to have some lower performance items compared to a machine that should appear only in 2007 (that's life..., as we know it). On the other hand, I had to figure out if I want to invest in a ludic system to use now (as of TODAY), or wait for the other system that should have higher performance items, but for now it doesn't exist!
So I thought about it, and I didn't want to wait (tired of a 6 years old machine), so I went for the X360, and I'm not disapointed, with nothing (the overall qaullity of the materials, suprised me, and my collegues, system engineers - they had one that was offered and the opened it up, it had inside almost everything customized and rebranded Microsoft, other brands inside: Infineon, NEC, ATI & IBM).
About PS3, I'll think about it when it shows up.
Ngon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Ngon
Member since 2004 • 2782 Posts
no
bsin94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 bsin94
Member since 2005 • 1497 Posts
Why did you have to bump this over 1 year old thread...
junk56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 junk56
Member since 2003 • 1748 Posts

All that HD content needs more space, I would hope that they use the bluray drive for games, that is the ONE MAIN REASON I WAS GOING WITH THE PS3. It was essentially the only thing (besides cell) that it had going for it, larger discs mean more game/disc. I would expect it to be like it is now though, some games on dvd, some on CD, some on BD. Anyhow, blurays is faster than DVD. isn't it...Sushimaster

LOL funny @ss sig there man hahahaha.