Silent Hill: Book of Memories?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SNESMaster420
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts

I believe this one is finally coming out Oct. 16th. I am interested in it alot. It looks fun. Is anyone else picking this one up? I am a huge Silent Hill fan and I am excited for a crazy spin-off like this even though sometimes spin offs don't do well. Here's to hoping!

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
Unless it is utterly crap I'll be getting it. It's a shame that we've heard little to nothing for a long time since the game could be decent-good. I don't think there has been any proper trailers for it so it's somewhat weird, but they did delay it half a year so hopefully it's not bad.
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

No.

Any REAL Silent Hill fan knows this is an abomination.

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SNESMaster420

No.

GreekGameManiac
Most of the early impressions from people who have played it have said it is solid. Really, they are just using the Silent Hill name to take elements from that series universe. I think it looks neat and I am a REAL Silent Hill fan. I don't think this title is meant to scare the pants off of you, but merely create an horror atmosphere in a top down hack & slash dungeon crawler. I mean that is what it mostly looks like to me. Baldur's Gate-ish. I could be very wrong though as I have not played it haha.
A7xhto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 A7xhto
Member since 2012 • 78 Posts

I am interested in the multiplayer!

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Probably not touching the thing with a 10 foot pole, it just looks horrible IMO.

volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

IMO it's Dead Nation with the Silent Hill name slapped on it. I think I'll just stick with Dead Nation ;)

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#9 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
Same here, unless the reviews surprise me, I have zero interest in this. It goes against what Silent Hill has stood for since the beginning.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

I'm definitely interested, survival horror is hard to come by these days.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#11 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

I'll probably get it, even if it has tainted the SH name.

At the very least it will be a decent dungeon crawler/ hack n slash.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Granpire

Well, the developer's(Wayforward Technologies) track record isn't great, having mostly dealt with mediocre ports and licensed games.

Notable exceptions A Boy and His Blob and Aliens: Infestation, which both received generally positive reviews, both happen to be games done in a retro NES style.

Their last hack 'n slash/Action RPG were the Justice League Heroes games, which were shameless clones of the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games, and all disappointed critically.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts
I'm a fan of old school SH games, i think this is crap.
damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

It looks promising to me and will try out the demo before I make any judgment. Hopefully it will live upto my dungeon crawling handheld needs, especially since i doubt Warriors lair will see the light of day.

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SNESMaster420

I went ahead and preordered it. I watched alot of gameplay yesterday and this game looks like fun. I am really excited for it.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#16 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I don't care how good the game is; it's not Silent Hill. Therefore, I don't want it.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GreekGameManiac

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

No.

SNESMaster420

Most of the early impressions from people who have played it have said it is solid. Really, they are just using the Silent Hill name to take elements from that series universe. I think it looks neat and I am a REAL Silent Hill fan. I don't think this title is meant to scare the pants off of you, but merely create an horror atmosphere in a top down hack & slash dungeon crawler. I mean that is what it mostly looks like to me. Baldur's Gate-ish. I could be very wrong though as I have not played it haha.

>_>

I accept change,but SH is SH.

Period.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 danish-death

[QUOTE="SNESMaster420"][QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

No.

GreekGameManiac

>_>

I accept change,but SH is SH.

Period.

Well.. The game actually does play decently. It's just not very much Silent Hill ._.
damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 damann22

Ok, put the silent hill name aside and judge it on that merit. I know that if it has that name in its title then it has a certain standard to hold up to but what if you were given that demo without having any idea what the title is. Would you still hold a grug agaisnt it?

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Granpire
All I can say is that the trailer has stiff-looking animations to begin with. That alone isn't a good sign of what's to come.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 danish-death

Ok, put the silent hill name aside and judge it on that merit. I know that if it has that name in its title then it has a certain standard to hold up to but what if you were given that demo without having any idea what the title is. Would you still hold a grug agaisnt it?

damann22
The story and voice acting is rather bad tbh, but the actual game is decent. Although I would've hoped the puzzle part of the game were handled better. As a dungeon crawler it's fine. These games Are all about killing stuff and looting, so as long as there is no slowdown like dungeon hunters and the combat itself is at least decent it should be good. gamespot will still score it low though.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
I'm sure the game is fine the way it is, but by no means is this a Silent Hill game. --Sincerely Silent Hill 1 fan.
damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 damann22

This isn't a silent hill game at all, yet I enjoyed the demo very much. A dungeon crawler that does not have fantasy elements is few and far between. I will get this one around the holidays

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SNESMaster420

The demo was fun. This seems like a solid time killer. I just hope that the locations each feel different because otherwise it will get old really fast.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Granpire
I'll admit that my time with it wasn't as horrible as I'd expected, but I was a little bored by the end of the demo. The environments have decent detail, but they sort of feel lifeless and not at all tense for such a dark art style. It felt like it was trying hard to creep me out, but I'm thinking they should have just made the game a little less gruesome and embrace what it really is - a fun co-op Action-RPG. There's no reason this should have the Silent Hill name on it, and I didn't even find the game mildly tense. Dungeon crawlers aren't my type of game to begin with, but I don't see a whole lot of value in this.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GreekGameManiac

Well.. The game actually does play decently. It's just not very much Silent Hill ._.danish-death

Can you read??

This isn't about how it plays.

This is about it being SH or not.

And it's NOT.

It could have the best gameplay ever,for all i care.

Doesn't change the fact it doesn't deserve the heavy name it carries.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Granpire

[QUOTE="danish-death"]Well.. The game actually does play decently. It's just not very much Silent Hill ._.GreekGameManiac

Can you read??

What? Says who? The topic is merely about the game, not exclusively how it relates to other Silent Hill games.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 danish-death

[QUOTE="danish-death"]Well.. The game actually does play decently. It's just not very much Silent Hill ._.GreekGameManiac

Can you read??

This is about it being SH or not.

And it's NOT.

It could have the best gameplay ever,for all i care.

Doesn't change the fact it doesn't deserve the heavy name it carries.

Woah go back to SW, dude. The TC said he hoped it was fun or something like that. Nobody ever said this was about whether or not it truly was a SH game and if nothing Else my post was rather innocent, so what's the problem really?
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreekGameManiac

Woah go back to SW, dude. The TC said he hoped it was fun or something like that. Nobody ever said this was about whether or not it truly was a SH game and if nothing Else my post was rather innocent, so what's the problem really?danish-death

Nothing,but at some point the discussion brought it up,so i had to say that.

I still think it's totally wrong they release it as "Silent Hill" game,just so they can exploit the series name to make money.

And that's that.

*shrugs*

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Granpire

Nothing,but at some point the discussion brought it up,so i had to say that.

I still think it's totally wrong they release it as "Silent Hill" game,just so they can exploit the series name to make money.

And that's that.

*shrugs*

GreekGameManiac
Sooooo: They put the Silent Hill name on it because they want to attract Silent Hill fans. Aaaand, Silent Hill fans are totally rejecting this game... Yup, that makes perfect sense. Exploitation at its finest.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GreekGameManiac

Sooooo: They put the Silent Hill name on it because they want to attract Silent Hill fans. Aaaand, Silent Hill fans are totally rejecting this game... Yup, that makes perfect sense. Exploitation at its finest.Granpire

Lol Konami is so rotten atm.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Granpire
Or your logic. :P
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GreekGameManiac

Or your logic. :PGranpire

-_-

There's nothing wrong about the things i said.

You basically repeated them,in a different way.

>_>

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Granpire
There's this thing called sarcasm. You should look it up. :P
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GreekGameManiac

There's this thing called sarcasm. You should look it up. :PGranpire

There's a thing called grow up,look it up.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Blake135

[QUOTE="Granpire"]There's this thing called sarcasm. You should look it up. :PGreekGameManiac

It aint SW dude take it on there.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Granpire

[QUOTE="Granpire"]There's this thing called sarcasm. You should look it up. :PGreekGameManiac

There's this thing called grammar... Oh man, I'm having too much fun with this. My point all along, in all seriousness, was that I don't think Konami just tacked the Silent Hill name onto this game to exploit its fans. I think they rather wanted to create a Silent Hill that incorporates elements from the entire series and takes advantage of online co-op, because that's where they the trend is going. If anything was exploited, it was that many gamers (myself included) love co-op. And the problem here, I think, isn't that the game itself is a bad idea, it's just that it was handed off to a developer who has no experience in creating horror, let alone tension.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GreekGameManiac

[There's this thing called grammar... Oh man, I'm having too much fun with this. My point all along, in all seriousness, was that I don't think Konami just tacked the Silent Hill name onto this game to exploit its fans. I think they rather wanted to create a Silent Hill that incorporates elements from the entire series and takes advantage of online co-op, because that's where they the trend is going. If anything was exploited, it was that many gamers (myself included) love co-op. And the problem here, I think, isn't that the game itself is a bad idea, it's just that it was handed off to a developer who has no experience in creating horror, let alone tension.Granpire

-_- Grow up and stop being an idiot on forums.

Anyway,no,that was their intentions.

To make a different SH.

And we can hate them for that.

Can't we?

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Granpire
I don't usually make fun of people like that, but you were setting yourself up with your ridiculous claims that they were "exploiting the Silent Hill name". And It's not even exactly Konami's fault, though they could have picked a better developer. It's more Wayforward's fault, since they're a low-tier developer who mostly developed licensed games. In the hands of another developer, I think this could have been something.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GreekGameManiac

I don't usually make fun of people like that, but you were setting yourself up with your ridiculous claims that they were "exploiting the Silent Hill name". And It's not even exactly Konami's fault, though they could have picked a better developer. It's more Wayforward's fault, since they're a low-tier developer who mostly developed licensed games. In the hands of another developer, I think this could have been something.Granpire

No it wasn't,if they didn't want that,they wouldn't let it happen.

Bottomline is,it's NOT a real SH game,it just has the series' name glued on it.

They should've rebranded it as something else,but they wanted to make a different SH.

So we'll have to play without considering it part of the series.

That would be all.(sadly)

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Granpire
Whether or not it fits your definition of a Silent Hill game, I think we can all agree that it could have been a much better game, and at least taken a bit more from the series it's based on (in terms of mechanics and tension, not characters or plot elements). It hasn't had the Silent Hill name "glued onto it". I'm sure that it was developed as a SH game for it's entire development. It always designed with the intention of being a sort of "collector's edition" summary of all the Silent Hill storylines. You don't have to play it. I, for one, won't be.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GreekGameManiac

Whether or not it fits your definition of a Silent Hill game, I think we can all agree that it could have been a much better game, and at least taken a bit more from the series it's based on (in terms of mechanics and tension, not characters or plot elements). It hasn't had the Silent Hill name "glued onto it". I'm sure that it was developed as a SH game for it's entire development. It always designed with the intention of being a sort of "collector's edition" summary of all the Silent Hill storylines. You don't have to play it. I, for one, won't be.Granpire

>_>

That's what i meant,damnit...

That they made it like that,because if they branded it as something else,it wouldn't have the popularity of the series.

And yes,i won't be,either.

Why would i?

I mean,it can be a good game,but the fact that it has SH on it,meh.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Granpire
Again, your logic is still flawed. Even if the fact that it has four-player co-op is what you're hung up on, suppose it was actually a competent dungeon crawler that actually pulled off being psychological and scary. Would it then still not fit your definition of a Silent Hill game? I think you're just bitter at the fact that Konami (and WayForward) tried to make Silent Hill dungeon crawler, rather than the fact that they made a (sub-par) dungeon crawler. I, on the other hand, am open to the idea that there could be a scary and psychological Silent Hill dungeon crawler, even if I don't believe this is it.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GreekGameManiac

Again, your logic is still flawed. Even if the fact that it has four-player co-op is what you're hung up on, suppose it was actually a competent dungeon crawler that actually pulled off being psychological and scary. Would it then still not fit your definition of a Silent Hill game? I think you're just bitter at the fact that Konami (and WayForward) tried to make Silent Hill dungeon crawler, rather than the fact that they made a (sub-par) dungeon crawler. I, on the other hand, am open to the idea that there could be a scary and psychological Silent Hill dungeon crawler, even if I don't believe this is it.Granpire

I quit,you're the one who's unreasonable imo.

I already made a point,anyway.(and i already said i'm done).

So,tty in another thread!

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Granpire
I just don't understand why you wouldn't buy a good game just because it has the Silent Hill name on it! It could be a kart racer for all I care! I don't abstain from purchasing a game simply because it deviates from a series' conventions!
FizzyVimto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FizzyVimto
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I am a massive SH fan - I've played through all of the games endless times and love everything about the series, so when I heard there was a dungeon crawler spin off coming out (I've never played any games in this genre before) I was annoyed Konami had took this new direction and pretty much written this game off as a poor cash in. Then I played the demo. It had the SH feel to it in the intro, the story had me curious about what would happen next, the music was brilliant (I've since downloaded the soundtrack) and the gameplay was so much fun. I've played through the demo about 4 times already and I must admit that I am now excited about this release and have it on preorder. No it isn't your traditional SH but I'm very intrigued on how it will work being multiplayer in regards to storyline and horror. Time will tell.
SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SNESMaster420
[QUOTE="FizzyVimto"]I am a massive SH fan - I've played through all of the games endless times and love everything about the series, so when I heard there was a dungeon crawler spin off coming out (I've never played any games in this genre before) I was annoyed Konami had took this new direction and pretty much written this game off as a poor cash in. Then I played the demo. It had the SH feel to it in the intro, the story had me curious about what would happen next, the music was brilliant (I've since downloaded the soundtrack) and the gameplay was so much fun. I've played through the demo about 4 times already and I must admit that I am now excited about this release and have it on preorder. No it isn't your traditional SH but I'm very intrigued on how it will work being multiplayer in regards to storyline and horror. Time will tell.

Right there with you man. I am picking it up tomorrow. The demo sold me on it. It seems to be a fun, portable experience. And although it is not exactly spooky, it has the horror vibe going. Between RE 6, this, and Doom 3, I will have a fun, horror game-ish October!
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Granpire
Ugh. All three of those games are mediocre.
SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SNESMaster420
Ugh. All three of those games are mediocre.Granpire
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder my friend.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Blake135

Ugh. All three of those games are mediocre.Granpire

It would be fine if it was perhaps a $20 dollar PSN game but at its current price meh no way in hell for me.