PS3 "pretty much dead"?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Emperor03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Emperor03
Member since 2004 • 40 Posts

Is there some reason gamestore employees are telling their customers stuff like this?

Was at a video game store in the mall this weekend and watched a young father come in with his son wanting to buy a PS3.  I listened as I heard the store employee tell him that the PS3 was pretty much dead, and he checked his computer and saw "no new games coming out" for the PS3.  He then went on tell him about the Xbox 360 and how many games it had etc etc.

The father looked a little distraught but spoke with his son, a few minutes later they walked up to the counter and requested an Xbox360 and several games.

Does Sony understand how much the gamestore employees are screwing them? 

Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
Why didn't you intervene?
ScorpiuS739

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ScorpiuS739
Member since 2004 • 478 Posts
OMG you shoulda punched that employee in the face. I woulda embarrassed him and told the dad and son all the games coming out and the potential that the PS3 has, and also that is plays blu-ray, just to make the employee look like an idiot.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts

Is there some reason gamestore employees are telling their customers stuff like this?

Was at a video game store in the mall this weekend and watched a young father come in with his son wanting to buy a PS3.  I listened as I heard the store employee tell him that the PS3 was pretty much dead, and he checked his computer and saw "no new games coming out" for the PS3.  He then went on tell him about the Xbox 360 and how many games it had etc etc.

The father looked a little distraught but spoke with his son, a few minutes later they walked up to the counter and requested an Xbox360 and several games.

Emperor03
In the grand scheme of things, I highly doubt Sony gives a damn, in all honesty I imagine stores like the one you mention above account for a small percentage of Sales of the PS3. And I highly doubt this is a normal thing. The EBGames I usualy go to is very willing to take my money and dont suggest I purchase anything other than what I ask for...I never have had a cross word with an Employee at my local gamestore... I have seen this happen one time, the group I saw simply chose to leave the store...
ihatebugers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 ihatebugers
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts

You should always intervene, especially when a person is downright lying. Next time that happens just start talking to them in a calm and collected manner. Because if you go up to them and start screaming your head off you won't be doing much good.
"It isn't dead, it just has had a slow start, just like the XBOX 360 had or the PS2. From those two alone it's easy to note that the first impression don't last for consoles."
or...
"WHAAAA??!1 PS3 IS TEH WIN!!!111eleven"

Emperor03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Emperor03
Why didn't you intervene?
Krigon
Yeah I mean I wanted to, but who am I to argue with an employee of a store trying to do his job. Especially in front his "computer" that appeared to have all the answers. I'd have had a hard time arguing for the merits of the PS3 over the xbox anyway, I don't know enough about the xbox to have an intelligent conversation on the subject.
bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts

I've never encountered any store employee that said anything like that. I pretty much go in and ask for what I want and they give it to me. If they don't have it I go someplace else.

I don't get it. If you guys hate these places so much, why do you go?

Enterprise-E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Enterprise-E
Member since 2002 • 5322 Posts
They are just being idiots and what do idiots do? They stand around talking about how a company is doomed.
ihatebugers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 ihatebugers
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts

[QUOTE="Krigon"]Why didn't you intervene?
Emperor03
Yeah I mean I wanted to, but who am I to argue with an employee of a store trying to do his job. Especially in front his "computer" that appeared to have all the answers. I'd have had a hard time arguing for the merits of the PS3 over the xbox anyway, I don't know enough about the xbox to have an intelligent conversation on the subject.

It's that reason alone that no one will question what they say. So if they tell their opinions without having input from what the customer actually wants, then who will say anything. It is our right as consumers to recieve a good service, and if employees try to dissuade me from getting what I want because they don't like it then I'll buy it somewhere else.

ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
Yah this is why I avoid smaller stores like ebgames or gamestop, they hire fanboys of all kinds who see it as an opportunity to push their console of choice.   Manager usually isn't around most of the time so there is no one to enforce company policy.   I like best buy and circuit city just cause the employees have other things to worry about other than pushing their console of choice.  
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jwat4
Emperor03

You were better off not saying anything, there is no need to argue with or attempt to correct an employee...Unless and this is my only exception, the Employee is a hot chick that is trying to answers questions about something she knows nothing about...then intervene, and get her number...
Emperor03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Emperor03

I've never encountered any store employee that said anything like that. I pretty much go in and ask for what I want and they give it to me. If they don't have it I go someplace else.

bdhoff
I don't hate any place so much, I was just relaying an event that I witnessed this weekend. I had also not witnessed something like that before, and was curious how common it was (which is why I posted it on the forum)
badmonkey35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 badmonkey35
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts
if this is a true story.  maybe you should write a letter to the company's home office.  in that letter say exactly what you just posted with the stores address.  A complaint letter goes farther than an e-mail or a phone call.  at least that is what my sister says, she works in cs for an electronics manufactor.
bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts
[QUOTE="bdhoff"]

Emperor03
I don't hate any place so much, I was just relaying an event that I witnessed this weekend. I had also not witnessed something like that before, and was curious how common it was (which is why I posted it on the forum)

I see. I guess I just haven't seen it yet. Anytime I've been there and someone's asked for a PS3 the guy just goes and gets it.
babenjorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 babenjorge
Member since 2007 • 300 Posts

Idiots like that employee is the reason I refuse to go to EB or Gamestop anymore. They lie (like I overheard one fool telling a customer "PS3 isn't even HD") and I'm sick of them trying to make me feel foolish for buying anything Sony.....

I know it's a stereotype, but seriously, all of them seem to have Microsoft's cock in their mouths. It's a head scratcher.

TRJGotNuts
I agree. I wont go to an EB games or a gamespot anymore. They tried to talk me out of buying the Ps3.
Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts

Was at a video game store in the mall this weekend and watched a young father come in with his son wanting to buy a PS3. I listened as I heard the store employee tell him that the PS3 was pretty much dead, and he checked his computer and saw "no new games coming out" for the PS3. He then went on tell him about the Xbox 360 and how many games it had etc etc.

Emperor03
I saw this exact same post... seems word for word just a about a week or two ago.
nish14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nish14
Member since 2007 • 216 Posts

bdhoff

yea same...and I dont know why so many of these threads pop up. either retailers really hate the ps3, or some (not all) of these stories are fabricated, Im leaning a bit towards the 2nd, cuz I never encountered anything like this, nor heard of it by word of mouth, only forums like this.

akuya32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 akuya32
Member since 2006 • 1166 Posts
Thats funny!!! Dumb, but funny.
PSN:Meeks32
Gamers Game.....Fanboys Pick Sides.....
Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts

Was at a video game store in the mall this weekend and watched a young father come in with his son wanting to buy a PS3. I listened as I heard the store employee tell him that the PS3 was pretty much dead, and he checked his computer and saw "no new games coming out" for the PS3. He then went on tell him about the Xbox 360 and how many games it had etc etc.

Emperor03
Actually, tell me the store, and location. Give me their #. Do you remember the employees name? Ill talk to the store manager. Ill call them. :)
FIREBURNER21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FIREBURNER21
Member since 2004 • 272 Posts
Yes really sucks hearing all the crap that some of the employees try to pull of on customers that really don't know any better....I myself had to tango with some Eb games employees on giving misleading and false information of the Ps3 to potential customers......Haters probally couldn't afford the system so that gave them the right to talk trash about it......grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Walkinghome6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Walkinghome6
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Emperor03"]

jwat4
In the grand scheme of things, I highly doubt Sony gives a damn, in all honesty I imagine stores like the one you mention above account for a small percentage of Sales of the PS3. And I highly doubt this is a normal thing. The EBGames I usualy go to is very willing to take my money and dont suggest I purchase anything other than what I ask for...I never have had a cross word with an Employee at my local gamestore... I have seen this happen one time, the group I saw simply chose to leave the store...

I've watched the same thing at a game store near me. I watched some young boys walk in before launch of the ps3 wanting to know information on the ps3. They were all excited and stuff asking things like "How much is it gonna cost" and "When is it gonna come out". The clerk guy was like it's $600, and the xbox is $300. And he was just so negitive about it. I wanted to punch him in the face. Another guy said "What I don't like about the PS3 is you can't move your data over from your old ps2 games, and the other clerk agreed with him" I told them BullSh*t, just buy the adapter for $15. Them sorry cock suckers.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
Certain employees at my local EB can get pretty bad.  One of the managers in particular would give me the evil eye whenever I came in cause she new I bought PS3 stuff and she's diehard Wii.  I can't imagine working at this EB, they have a really diverse mix of interests.  They probably have to work hard on scheduling to reduce in-fighting.
:lol:
Emperor03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Emperor03
[QUOTE="Dilrod"] Actually, tell me the store, and location. Give me their #. Do you remember the employees name? Ill talk to the store manager. Ill call them. :)

No, I did not post this same thing a week ago btw. If I somehow posted someone elses post word for word that would be a strange coincedence. I don't recall which "type" of gamestore it was, I believe EB games or Gamestop, but it was in Collin Creek Mall in Plano Texas (I think there's only one game store in that mall)
austin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 austin
Member since 2002 • 424 Posts
That is so wrong for emplyees to do that i mean let face it you think they would want the sale that a huge one over 700 dollars that revanue for there store then figure in the games come on
abeg76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 abeg76
Member since 2006 • 302 Posts
What a crock of blank!
ghaleon0721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ghaleon0721
Member since 2003 • 338 Posts

This actually surprises me alot.  I used to work at a gamestore back in the day (Funcoland).  People would come in all the time and ask our opinions on games or systems.  After a while, management said that we weren't allowed to put a negative spin on any game or system, nor were we allowed to recommend any one product over another.  We were only allowed to point out the features of both items.  If the customer pressed, we would say "they're both good".  that's it.

Naturally this infuriated me, and after much resistance, I finally got management to concede slightly.  The policy stood as outlined above, with one exception.  Management agreed that it would be irresponsible to say anything positive about Superman 64.

The Xbox 360 vs PS3 debate could go on all day.  You can support whichever side you want.  However, what I don't understand is this: What possible motivation could a teenage punk register jockey fanboy possibly have to support Microsoft's agenda over Sony's?

I think that the store probably had one PS3 left and this employee had planned on buying it when his shift was over.

EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EmpCom
Member since 2005 • 3451 Posts
OMG you shoulda punched that employee in the face. I woulda embarrassed him and told the dad and son all the games coming out and the potential that the PS3 has, and also that is plays blu-ray, just to make the employee look like an idiot.ScorpiuS739
Maybe he didnt want to be picking his teeth of the floor as the dad and employee laughed at him
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#29 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

Emperor03

I don't believe any of that.

Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts
I just wait for store employees to say stupid **** like that in my vicinity, then I POUNCE!!!!!  Seriously though, if I heard a store employee saying that crap, I'd be all over it.
NarikoSword96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NarikoSword96
Member since 2007 • 35 Posts
pretty serious problem
lennon07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 lennon07
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
What a dink, you shuda told his boss about the bad job he was doin
subject117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 subject117
Member since 2002 • 4824 Posts
Emperor03

He wasn't "Trying to do his job"...perhaps his job as a fanboy I suppose, but nothing more.
Emperor03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Emperor03
[QUOTE="Emperor03"]

LosDaddie

You're the 2nd person in this thread to call me a liar. I'm not sure what sounded so "far fetched" about this.
subject117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 subject117
Member since 2002 • 4824 Posts
I pretty much always intervene when stuff like this happens in front of me. Then I make a conscious effort to never shop at that particular game store again.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 emitsu97
You're the 2nd person in this thread to call me a liar. I'm not sure what sounded so "far fetched" about this. Emperor03

It's just what he does, I wouldn't concern yourself.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LosDaddie
[QUOTE="LosDaddie"][QUOTE="Emperor03"]

Emperor03

You're the 2nd person in this thread to call me a liar. I'm not sure what sounded so "far fetched" about this.

Basically, everything you posted sounds made up.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LosDaddie
[QUOTE="Emperor03"]You're the 2nd person in this thread to call me a liar. I'm not sure what sounded so "far fetched" about this. emitsu97

It's just what he does, I wouldn't concern yourself.

Still upset about yesterday, I see.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 emitsu97
Still upset about yesterday, I see.LosDaddie

:lol: Not at all, you brighten my day.  I enjoy your posts now.
NarikoSword96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NarikoSword96
Member since 2007 • 35 Posts
What a dink, you shuda told his boss about the bad job he was doinlennon07
his boss probably hired him to do that bad job lol
Emperor03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Emperor03
Basically, everything you posted sounds made up.LosDaddie
I think if I were to make up some story wouldn't I have made it more exciting perhaps? Or maybe I would have made myself sound heroic "I jumped at the employee and defended the PS3's honor"? Redskins suck by the way.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 emitsu97
[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]Basically, everything you posted sounds made up.Emperor03
I think if I were to make up some story wouldn't I have made it more exciting perhaps? Or maybe I would have made myself sound heroic "I jumped at the employee and defended the PS3's honor"? Redskins suck by the way.

Take my advice, converse with someone else.  Also, it's kinda funny he has a big Indian head as an Avatar and a Proud American tag.  It looks like it should be a Proud Native American tag. :lol:
ghaleon0721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ghaleon0721
Member since 2003 • 338 Posts

I'm not saying that this didn't happen.  But it does sound exxagerated somewhat.  Especially the part where the guy checked the computer and said "no new games coming out for PS3".  That is a blatant lie.  IF this story is true, then it means that this employee is deliberately fabricating the truth in order to sell more 360's.  The question is motivation.  WHY would he do that?

I could believe him saying something like "there aren't that many games coming out for PS3 anytime soon".  I could believe him saying something like "there aren't that many good exclusive games for PS3 out right now" Both of which are true statements.

By lying like that, the guy is risking customers and his own job.  It's hard to believe that anyone would have enough concern for that little boy's gaming experience to do something like that.

kirby43c1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kirby43c1d
Member since 2005 • 54 Posts

I am buying a ps3 as soon as metal gear soild is out for sure 700.00 dollors to play it will be worth it !

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LosDaddie

[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]Still upset about yesterday, I see.emitsu97

:lol: Not at all, you brighten my day.  I enjoy your posts now.

As expected, your usual denial. If you weren't still upset, then you wouldn't have made the comment. (go ahead and deny that too!! :lol: )

The fact that you felt the need to tell the other poster to ignore me was hilarious to me.

....but...hey...I enjoy reading PS3 fanboy comments. So I await another snappy comeback!:D

jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jwat4
[QUOTE="Emperor03"][QUOTE="LosDaddie"]Basically, everything you posted sounds made up.emitsu97

Take my advice, converse with someone else.  Also, it's kinda funny he has a big Indian head as an Avatar and a Proud American tag.  It looks like it should be a Proud Native American tag. :lol:

Thats the logo for The Florida State Seminoles....Its a college logo. Just thought you should know.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LosDaddie

[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]Basically, everything you posted sounds made up.Emperor03

I'm just saying that your post sounds fake.

EDIT: Im not a Redskins fan.

kirby43c1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kirby43c1d
Member since 2005 • 54 Posts
no actually i seen it happen in gamestop like twice but not as dramtic as he made it seems the clerk just told the guy there not that many choices on the ps3 buy a xbox360 or ds he said !
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LosDaddie

[QUOTE="Emperor03"][QUOTE="LosDaddie"]Basically, everything you posted sounds made up.emitsu97

Ignorance FTW?

:lol:

Thanks! I needed a laugh.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 emitsu97

I'm not saying that this didn't happen. But it does sound exxagerated somewhat. Especially the part where the guy checked the computer and said "no new games coming out for PS3". That is a blatant lie. IF this story is true, then it means that this employee is deliberately fabricating the truth in order to sell more 360's. The question is motivation. WHY would he do that?

I could believe him saying something like "there aren't that many games coming out for PS3 anytime soon". I could believe him saying something like "there aren't that many good exclusive games for PS3 out right now" Both of which are true statements.

By lying like that, the guy is risking customers and his own job. It's hard to believe that anyone would have enough concern for that little boy's gaming experience to do something like that.

ghaleon0721

The one manager at my EB wouldn't give me service for weeks after I bought my PS3.  She went hardcore anti-Sony on me the day I picked it up.  She finally softened up the day I picked up Gears and a little more when I picked up WoW: TBC.  She's still not 100% friendly to me yet cause she knows I don't have a Wii.