PS3 owners with LCD HDTV's

This topic is locked from further discussion.

testament1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 testament1
Member since 2004 • 334 Posts

Okay, so I'm going to be picking up both a PS3 and an HDTV in the very near future(as in a month or so). However, I'm having some issues deciding on which TV to settle on. So, I want to hear some opinions from PS3 owners that play their movies, fast paced games, and SD/HD sattellite feeds through their LCD HDTV's. Here are some questions I need answered:

1: Motion blur. How bad is it with a 120hz LCD? Are sports and action games/bluray movies very blurry and poor quality due to LCD motion blur?

2: Black Levels. How are the color and black levels with the PS3 on your LCD's?

I'm currently going back and forth between Plasma and HDTV, but if I could get those two questions answered....then I think that will help me decide.

I'm gonna be doing a lot through my PS3 on my HDTV, so I want to hear the input from PS3 owners that use them through LCD HDTV's.

And BTW, here's the model TV I'm looking at currentlyhttp://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40C630-40-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0036WT3P2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=tv&qid=1274471005&sr=1-1

Thanks.

SaaM-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SaaM-x
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

Okay the TV I use is a Sharp Aquos LCD with LED backlight technology. It is full 1080p HD. I find it good for gaming and the colours are great as it has a mega contrast feature. I have the 32" model which I think is a good size. It is £400-450 in the UK.

schizo_talon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 schizo_talon
Member since 2010 • 249 Posts

I have a Samsung 46 inch LCD and it works great with my PS3. If I remember right it's the LN46A630. It's 120 Hz LCD with a contrast ratio of 40K:1. The quality is by far much better than any plasma. I bought the TV shortly after I got my PS3, as I did have a Projection TV and I noticed a huge difference between the two. I highly recommend getting the Samsung if you were thinking about getting it.

GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GramDubs
Member since 2010 • 636 Posts

that tv is perfect for your ps3, i use a 60hz 32 inch and it looks good, that one you picked will be good

hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

I have a Samsung 46 inch LCD and it works great with my PS3. If I remember right it's the LN46A630. It's 120 Hz LCD with a contrast ratio of 40K:1. The quality is by far much better than any plasma. I bought the TV shortly after I got my PS3, as I did have a Projection TV and I noticed a huge difference between the two. I highly recommend getting the Samsung if you were thinking about getting it.

schizo_talon

Much better than any plasma? Try again...

I suggest a good panasonic plasma. I upgraded from a Samsung LCD and while it looked great, it cant touch a plasma's 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

meteo_ryte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 meteo_ryte
Member since 2005 • 1962 Posts
I've got a 32" Dynex 720p 60Hz lcd tv. It's one of those no-name brands Best Buy carries but was cheap, only $330, and it's a HUGE step up from my previous tv, a 27" Magnavox tube tv that was 15 years old! Games, all types, look fantastic. At this size, having a higher resolution would be pointless, which is why i settled for the minimum attributes that it has. While i can now play blu-ray movies, i don't bother, because we aren't a big tv family. We tivo some shows and watch some netflix movies streamed via the ps3 (or on dvd) but that's it. The majority of its use is ps3 games, because i hog it almost all the time, lol. Black levels depend on the settings, but the current settings are pretty crisp - brights are bright & darks are dark. However, if you indeed want the best when viewing fast motion & such, i'd also recommend plasma. Plasma doesn't have the hertz restrictions that LCD has. While LCDs are 60 or 120 or sometimes like 240 or something, plasma scoffs at them, with the average plasma having a whopping 600Hz.
RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts

[QUOTE="schizo_talon"]

hawk549

I suggest a good panasonic plasma. I upgraded from a Samsung LCD and while it looked great, it cant touch a plasma's 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

As far as I know, plasma TVs are bad for gaming.
testament1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 testament1

Well, just went to Walmart to check out that Samsung I linked...and boy is it pretty. I noticed no ghosting or motion blur or anything. Granted, it's being fed by a probably crappy tv source there, but I would think I would notice blur no matter what. If what I see at Walmart is what I can expect at home, then I don't see what all the fuss is about honestly. And it will only look better once it's hooked up to my HDDVR and PS3.

Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts

I have a Samsung 32" HDTV [LCD] Full 1080p TV, its great but I recommend getting either a 120Hz or 240Hz for better gaming and bluray. LED would be best but LCD will do as well.

HuhJustaBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 HuhJustaBox
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts

There is a reason that all videophiles only buy plasma. Plasma gives you a far superior picture due to increased black level performace, better color accuracy, and the response time of the pixels is in the micro seconds, whereas LCDS are still in the milliseconds. It is a common misconception that the 120Htz or 240Htz rectifies motion blur. The motion is caused by the pixels reacting to the inputs in a slow manner.

And to the OP, yes you will still see motion blur. Try watching Planet Earth, I use to sell tvs and would show customers several scenes where motion blur was a problem. One scene was when a bird was flying across the sky. It blurred so badly that not only could you not identify what bird it was, you could not even tell that it was a bird.

As I digress, I am tired of giving people this information. All it takes is doing a little research. Check out the AVS forums or CNET to get the ins and outs of why Plasma is FAR superior to LCD.

schizo_talon

testament1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 testament1

Well, I was originally sold on a Panasonic Plasma in the same price range. But then I discovered the rising and floating black level issues. So it seems that both display types have issues. I'm just trying to weigh the problems against each other. From what I saw of the LCD, the colors were stunning, and there was no motion lag. But that may change once I get it home, and start running more programming on it. I don't know.

budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
[QUOTE="hawk549"]

[QUOTE="schizo_talon"]

RogueShodown

No they arent. They used to have bad issues with burn in due to game HUDs but not any more. Plasma TVs are the BEST for gaming as they will almost never blur, the contrast cannot be rivalled and the color depth is amazing. The only TVs that Ive seen that can compare to plasma is DLP. The price is the killer for Plasma, Typically 50 percent more expensive than LCD. This is the reason we all have them, and they are great TVs but they arent plasma.
psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

I've got a 720p, 1080i, Sanyo 32 inch LCD TV. When I upgraded from a flat panel tv to this one and turned on my PS3 for the first time with the settings adjusted properly, I was just blown away by how good everything looked. Now I have my desktop hooked to it. Everything, including blue-ray movies, look incredible. Of course, my tv is more midrange I suppose. So one with a higher contrast ratio would look even better. My only complaint about this tv is that the dark colors are too dark. I had to adjust the brightness way up in order to see what I was doing online in Resistance, Fall of Man in the dark corridors. Other than that, it's a great tv. Just my story.

jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

[QUOTE="schizo_talon"]

hawk549

You can't really compare the contrast ratios of a plasma and a lcd. You can only compare the ratios of TVs made by the same manufacturer... as in, Sony LCD "A" vs. Sony LCD "B." As for the Plasma vs. LCD thing... I think LCDs are better for a more broad spectrum of viewing, as the TC is planning.
hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hawk549

[QUOTE="hawk549"]

[QUOTE="schizo_talon"]

RogueShodown

you do not know far enough.

hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hawk549

at the very least, a plasma's deep, rich colors are reason enough to make a switch.

Plasma televisions at one point were not ideal for game, when the technology was older. Newer gen plasma's can tolerate static images much better.

If i was going to buy an LCD tomorrow however, it would be an LED.

Keegz_nz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Keegz_nz
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts

I have the LA40b650 and I can say the black levels are very good, however the 120hz does not apply when gaming as you need to enable 'game mode' to eliminate the input lag. When 'game mode' is enabled the 120hz is disabled.

testament1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 testament1

If I were to go plasma, this is the one I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P42U2-42-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00392141U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=tv&qid=1274498324&sr=1-1

That gonna work for gaming?

krsvbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 krsvbg
Member since 2008 • 626 Posts

I was thinking of getting a 42" one, but I just needed something for my room. I have a gaming chair and my HDTV is on my desk. It's the perfect setup! It's 22" and 1080p - cost me only 300 bucks. I love it.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#20 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
I have a 32" 720p VIZIO LCD. It looks good and all I can say is stay away from the plasma. Sure it may look shiny and a little bit better than the LCD but games burn out a plasma like crazy. I wouldn't recommend a plasma, especially when it comes to playing games on it. The one I have is a good one.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

You can't have enough information to make a decision if you ask only LCD owners... Hopefully the plasma squad came to the rescue!

Plasmas rule! You can't have a worst viewing angle than I do and it's perfect on my plasma.

White_Crayon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 White_Crayon
Member since 2004 • 40 Posts

I have a 32" 1080p 120hz samsung. And I haven't seen much if any motion blur.

hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hawk549

I have a 32" 720p VIZIO LCD. It looks good and all I can say is stay away from the plasma. Sure it may look shiny and a little bit better than the LCD but games burn out a plasma like crazy. I wouldn't recommend a plasma, especially when it comes to playing games on it. The one I have is a good one.coolkid93

dude a buddy of mine has had his plasma for a few years and theres been lots of game played on it....thousands of hours. Still looks great, just played Split Second on it last night sooo.....what are you talking about?

hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hawk549

You can't have enough information to make a decision if you ask only LCD owners... Hopefully the plasma squad came to the rescue!

Plasmas rule! You can't have a worst viewing angle than I do and it's perfect on my plasma.

bloodling

Dude ive been trying to rescue this thread the whole time lol.

dared3vil0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dared3vil0
Member since 2009 • 1254 Posts
I've got a 32" Dynex 720p 60Hz lcd tv. It's one of those no-name brands Best Buy carries but was cheap, only $330, and it's a HUGE step up from my previous tv, a 27" Magnavox tube tv that was 15 years old!meteo_ryte
Wow, In Canada i paid $299.99 for a 32 Samsung LCD 120Hz TV.
septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 septemberluc
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
I have a 37" LCD tv, which used to be in my living room and was the primary tv for gaming, but I recently moved that tv back to the bedroom when I got a 46" plasma. I'm not going to sit here and blow smoke about how there is a HUGE difference between the two or how one is OBVIOUSLY far superior to the other. Yes, the plasma looks better, but the average person is going to be happy with their HDTV, regardless of whether they go with LCD or plasma.
YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts
Above poster said it best either or you cant go wrong. Everyone bad mouthing Plasma never played on one and quoting crap they've read but never experienced. Untill a newer tech comes out Plasmas are the best you can get. Less jaggies then LCDs, better black levels and contrast (this is what makes the image feel alive) better viewing angles, no flashlighting, no blur, no ghosting, no BS. If your gonna get an LCD get a 120hz or higher LED LCD cause the regular LCDs just dont cut it...
Ice_man_1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Ice_man_1985
Member since 2005 • 4700 Posts
to the TC, if you want to buy a plasma tv, go for panasonic or pioneer.
sportwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sportwarrior
Member since 2003 • 2462 Posts
I can't believe how replete this thread is with uninformed posters. Hawk has desperately been trying to save this thread, but no one even seems to be listening. Plasma image retention is a problem of the past. That's just a fact. With tech like pixel shifting the only way you're going to see HUD IR is if you leave a game on pause for hours and hours... and that will cause problems on ANY flat panel tv. Plasma is superior to LCD in everything but whites. It just is. And even then, the difference isn't huge. Colors, black levels, contrast... It's all superior on plasmas. Now, the biggest problem this year is that it's hard to find a good plasma as a long term investment. As has been mentioned already, there is a bug in this year's run of Panasonic plasmas that causes black levels to double after X number of operating hours on the TV. CNET has been all over the issue, and you can find pictures of affected sets on forums like AVS. The difference is rather alarming. Some people might not notice, but it's definitely an issue. I, for one, am holding off on purchasing a new plasma until next year. Word is Panasonic will be utilizing Kuro tech in ALL models next year, getting rid of the black levels bug and making the initial levels even better.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
The answers you want will depend on what TV you get, I suggest if you are watching any SD stuff or have a Wii to get a TV that displays SD good. Check out CNET and look at reviews and such. I have an Samsung LN46A580 It has great a great picture and displays SD signals very well.
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#31 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts

[QUOTE="coolkid93"]I have a 32" 720p VIZIO LCD. It looks good and all I can say is stay away from the plasma. Sure it may look shiny and a little bit better than the LCD but games burn out a plasma like crazy. I wouldn't recommend a plasma, especially when it comes to playing games on it. The one I have is a good one.hawk549

dude a buddy of mine has had his plasma for a few years and theres been lots of game played on it....thousands of hours. Still looks great, just played Split Second on it last night sooo.....what are you talking about?

Well I just don't recommend a plasma. Period. It's my opinion on it.

Andthe other guy in the thread should read about them. Maybe I should've said if you leavethe plasma on for too long it can cause problems.

PabloEscobar20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PabloEscobar20
Member since 2009 • 837 Posts

Plasmas are basically better in everything, you won't have to worry about crappy black levels, poor refresh rates, response time or imput lag. Don't listen to all the "burn in" bull, that was years ago. Newer plasmas from companies like Panasonic/Samsung are top quality. Best value for your money, a good plasma is always better than an LCD.

cystern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cystern
Member since 2006 • 94 Posts

I don't understand why people are still saying plasmas have horrible burn in. I have a 42" samsung plasma in my living room and a 46" sony xbr9 in my basement. Both tvs look amazing i've played games on the plasma and had no burn in at all. Plasma/LCD you wont go wrong either way, the only way you'll go wrong is if you buy a vizio, insignia, dynex, sanyo or any other off brand, anybody that tells you different doesn't know what they're talking about (ignorance is bliss). Whatever you buy plasma or lcd stick with sony, samsung or panasonic and you'll be happy.

testament1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 testament1

I can't seem to make my mind up on plasma vs. lcd. Both have pitfalls. I can either get a slightly inferior picture and the possibility of motion blur with an LCD. Or I can face he risk of burn in and rising and floating blacks with a plasma.

I know Panasonics are the only ones with the floating blacks issues, but I'm wanting a 1080p set in the 40-42" range, and Samsung doesn't make 1080p sets in that range. What other brand would be close to Panasonic quality that would have the size and resolution requirements I have?

coasterdude33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 coasterdude33
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts

HAHAHA LCDs..... psssh

*goes and hugs plasma*

Seriously though, I have 1 plasma and 3 LCDs (two of which are high end, sony XBR and samsung 650). My plasma is my go to for pretty much everything. It has better picture and was cheaper (and is bigger than the lcds). Good luck trying to play a game with 120Hz on. That is a interpolation process that may make a smoother picture, but will add input lag since it has to add additional frames. This means the tv has to buffer the frames meaning it takes longer to get to the screen.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ktseymour
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts

HAHAHA LCDs..... psssh

*goes and hugs plasma*

Seriously though, I have 1 plasma and 3 LCDs (two of which are high end, sony XBR and samsung 650). My plasma is my go to for pretty much everything. It has better picture and was cheaper (and is bigger than the lcds). Good luck trying to play a game with 120Hz on. That is a interpolation process that may make a smoother picture, but will add input lag since it has to add additional frames. This means the tv has to buffer the frames meaning it takes longer to get to the screen.

coasterdude33

I knew someone on this site knew this. LCD's do not refresh like a "cathode ray tube" or CRT. This has been one of the bigger shams In a while, and I'm also a big fan of Plasma TV's, as I have not seen an LCD can can reproduce the Blacks and color the way a Plasma does. Not that lcd's have a bad picture, they are really good, but I prefer Plasma...for now.

For gaming I wouldn't worry to much about Input lag, as almost all LCD's these days really don't suffer from this anymore. Do your research on both kinds of TV's and buy what suits your budget. This Is just a short example of the differences, but almost all Plasma's these days do not suffer from burn In. The only way I'd see this happen Is If you left the tv on for 2 days straight, but who would do that?

-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -starman-
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts

i think the most important thing is that you get a high quality tv.

whether you get an LCD or a Plasma, if you cheap out, you'll get what you pay for.

i got a Panasonic 42" Plasma TV about a year ago for $900 and have had no issues... be it with gaming, movies or tv.

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

at the very least, a plasma's deep, rich colors are reason enough to make a switch.

Plasma televisions at one point were not ideal for game, when the technology was older. Newer gen plasma's can tolerate static images much better.

If i was going to buy an LCD tomorrow however, it would be an LED.

hawk549

Trouble is-Once our PS3s get the 3D firmware update,then were all gonna be behind with the latest technology concerning our tvs.

Myself,I don't want anything to do with 3D Tv and gaming until you can buy a tv with it built in and no need for any Stupid glasses to wear-which are at present about $100 a pair!

Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts
Above poster said it best either or you cant go wrong. Everyone bad mouthing Plasma never played on one and quoting crap they've read but never experienced. Untill a newer tech comes out Plasmas are the best you can get. Less jaggies then LCDs, better black levels and contrast (this is what makes the image feel alive) better viewing angles, no flashlighting, no blur, no ghosting, no BS. If your gonna get an LCD get a 120hz or higher LED LCD cause the regular LCDs just dont cut it... YoungSinatra25
I agree that Plasma's are better, as I have a 52" plasma in my den that I sometimes use for gaming but LCDs aren't as bad as you think. Regular LCDs work just fine. Actually regular LCDs are better for gaming than 120hz ones because of the input lag. LEDs are best in the LCD department, but my 47" Sony BRAVIA 1080p 60hz LCD tv works great when playing games. Currently I am using my 52" Sony BRAVIA 1080p 240hz LCD tv for gaming and obviously its better but regular lcds are good too. TC, since you're going to be doing a lot with your PS3 i would suggest a Plasma, since they are cheaper than LCDs and have no motion blur. However, if you want a long lasting TV then maybe go for a LCD as they last longer than Plasma's. You'll be satisfied with a LCD or a Plasma, no matter what you get
G35DriverGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 G35DriverGuy
Member since 2009 • 433 Posts

I have a Toshiba 40RV525U. It should be pretty cheap now.

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
[QUOTE="hawk549"]

[QUOTE="schizo_talon"]

I agree, I like my Panasonic Plasma alot better than the LCD I had, even if my plasma is only 720p.
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

I game on a 32' LCD HD TV in my room, it goes to 1080i I believe.

I currently have my PS3 on HDMI cabels, and they look amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dc1155346926
deactivated-5dc1155346926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 deactivated-5dc1155346926
Member since 2007 • 912 Posts

DO NOT use 120Hz mode for gaming. Use standard 60Hz on your 120Hz

G35DriverGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 G35DriverGuy
Member since 2009 • 433 Posts

DO NOT use 120Hz mode for gaming. Use standard 60Hz on your 120Hz

kenken2g
its better?
lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lucky_star
Member since 2003 • 2307 Posts
[QUOTE="testament1"]

Okay, so I'm going to be picking up both a PS3 and an HDTV in the very near future(as in a month or so). However, I'm having some issues deciding on which TV to settle on. So, I want to hear some opinions from PS3 owners that play their movies, fast paced games, and SD/HD sattellite feeds through their LCD HDTV's. Here are some questions I need answered:

1: Motion blur. How bad is it with a 120hz LCD? Are sports and action games/bluray movies very blurry and poor quality due to LCD motion blur?

2: Black Levels. How are the color and black levels with the PS3 on your LCD's?

I'm currently going back and forth between Plasma and HDTV, but if I could get those two questions answered....then I think that will help me decide.

I'm gonna be doing a lot through my PS3 on my HDTV, so I want to hear the input from PS3 owners that use them through LCD HDTV's.

And BTW, here's the model TV I'm looking at currentlyhttp://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40C630-40-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0036WT3P2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=tv&qid=1274471005&sr=1-1

Thanks.

That tv is very fine for PS3 gaming. LCD tv's have come a long way since the old days. I really dont see motion blur as an issue anymore, in newer models.