PS Vita is failing hard in Australia because of SONY's attitude

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fragile_soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fragile_soul
Member since 2006 • 117 Posts

They refused to stock Vita in Kmart , Big W and Target

because they feel Vita is too UP Market for these dept stores (yet these dept stores sells ipads and other consoles)

Sony only allowed Myers and david jones (up market dept stores) and game retailers such as EB to sell vitas.

Sony is trying to say Vita is upmarket and Hardcore...

Their stupid ad before launch says it all ( a bunch of hardcore gamers playing war games)

They havent learnt that little kids plays big part in sales

little kids beg Moms to buy consoles for their Bday and Xmas.

Moms goes to Kmart , Big W or Target because they assumed its "cheaper"there.

thats why 3DS is selling like hotcakes...

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Are you sure it's their choice and not retailers' decision to not stock their products?

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Are you sure it's their choice and not retailers' decision to not stock their products?

Gxgear
True.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Yeah it sounds like most of what you said there has nothing to do with SONY or their attitude, so much as it does the decisions of many major retailers.

I've seen VITA stuff at Target, KMart and Walmart here in the US, so apparently the decisions of those companies abroad are much different than they are here. Unless they stopped selling VITA stuff within the last couple of months at those stores and I'm just not aware of it, which could be true.

But either way, I usually do my game shopping at Gamestop or over the Internet. And I'd venture to guess those are the two most common methods of buying games these days. Aside from stuff like Steam.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

yee..u kind of forgot about JB... u know..the major player in the gaming market in australia...

guess which system has the better deal at JB? Hint: not the 3ds

vs

standard 3ds with sh!t game and crappy 3rd party accessories

or

xl with no game.

DeviIHuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DeviIHuman
Member since 2012 • 212 Posts
Oh i should buy PSVITA for my cousin in Australia lol
Mikako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Mikako
Member since 2012 • 81 Posts
Oh i should buy PSVITA for my cousin in Australia lolDeviIHuman
it's not that cheap actually.
lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

Vita is failing hard worldwide. Thanks to the bad marketing.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 campzor
[QUOTE="DeviIHuman"]Oh i should buy PSVITA for my cousin in Australia lolMikako
it's not that cheap actually.

its not that expensive either, especially compared with the 3ds
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#10 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Vita is failing hard worldwide. Thanks to the bad marketing.

lilnazar

Somewhat. The deals at JB are good, but the Vita needs more recognition.

DeviIHuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DeviIHuman

Vita needs more games and not remake game. More new games, more vita buyers

Mikako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mikako
Member since 2012 • 81 Posts

DeviIHuman
More quality games >_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Maybe I'm in the minority when I say this, and I'm sure I've mentioned it on here before in the last couple of months, but I don't really understand how Cross Play is supposed to help the Vita.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool that you can play console games on a handheld, and play against people on either device, but I get the impression that it would hurt Vita sales because it means less exclusives for the Vita.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#14 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
I'd suggest that, maybe, it will help to invest in future sales of the Vita. If a current PS3 owner buys, say, Sound Shapes, Retro City Rampage, and Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, he will more than likely realize that he has already three games that will be compatible with a Vita. That's a pretty good incentive to begin with, and it only grows every time a PS3 gamer buys a Cross-Buy title. Of course, you're depending on the fact that these people have actually realized their game is Vita-compatible, but I'm sure if they've followed the game at all or read some reviews, this fact has already been brought up. That's my much more positive outlook.
Shadowhawk2606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shadowhawk2606
Member since 2006 • 481 Posts
Sony really needs to step up there marketing game, because from where I am it's been pretty non existent.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
[QUOTE="Granpire"]I'd suggest that, maybe, it will help to invest in future sales of the Vita. If a current PS3 owner buys, say, Sound Shapes, Retro City Rampage, and Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, he will more than likely realize that he has already three games that will be compatible with a Vita. That's a pretty good incentive to begin with, and it only grows every time a PS3 gamer buys a Cross-Buy title. Of course, you're depending on the fact that these people have actually realized their game is Vita-compatible, but I'm sure if they've followed the game at all or read some reviews, this fact has already been brought up. That's my much more positive outlook.

Indeed. If there's a game that I'm mildly interested in that has cross-buy, it definitely has a lot more value in my eyes since I can play it at home or on the go. But like you mentioned, I don't know whether consumers even know that exists or not. Sony should find a way to advertise that when they update the Playstation Store. Maybe have "my PS3 games" as a category to see what you've purchased there and have a "my Vita games" listed as well with any cross-buys already added. It might get a few extra eyeballs on the fact that they own a few Vita games already.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

It still seems like a hard sell to me, since a lot of console owners tend to shun handheld gaming systems and prefer their gaming on big screens in their living rooms and bedrooms. I guess I can kind of see how it would give them some incentive, since they wouldn't be starting their Vita collection with nothing, but then why would they want to plop down some $200-odd dollars on the Vita in the first place when they already have the game on their console where they're comfortable with it?

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Why would Sony push their console in Australia when the market isn't overly interested in the product? Why waste marketing dollars in a country that holds such a small portion of your pie?!

That said I agree that it would have been nice to see it sold at more locations. I don't think it would have made a huge difference but still.

yonnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 yonnex
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts

I have seen a few ads on the side of buses in Sydney displaying Little Big Planet + Vita bundle pack

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

DeviIHuman
na vita needs smartphones to die, phone games are half of it's problem why carry a dedicated gaming device when your phone has game just as good that cost next to nothing? Single use devices really aren't very useful anymore. But more good games would help it but the sad thing is iphone and android now have better games than the vita and I can't see that changing. Develop for phones and you have a huge potential customer base develop for vita you have a tiny one.
lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts
I dont kinda understand why people get smartphones. They throw out 500$ on a phone that they dont really need. Smartphones are made actually for people who cant access the social networking very much. But kids buy these phones no matter what. Kinda waste of money eh, kiddies? If you want a gaming/app handheld, get a vita isntead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

I dont kinda understand why people get smartphones. They throw out 500$ on a phone that they dont really need. Smartphones are made actually for people who cant access the social networking very much. But kids buy these phones no matter what. Kinda waste of money eh, kiddies? If you want a gaming/app handheld, get a vita isntead.lilnazar
True, but the cellphone service providers kind of seem to mainly push smartphones these days, at least around where I live. My girlfriend's mom went to get a new cellphone earlier this year to replace her dying one, but it was really slim pickins for an 'ordinary' cellphone. About 80-90% of the phones there were smartphones. And really when you go anywhere around town or in the city, it seems like just about everyone here has an IPhone or something.

So anyway my point is, I don't know if it's all just the consumers' fault that smartphones are so abundant. And it really isn't all just the kids - most adults have smartphones, too. It's slowly and surely what the technology industry is forcing us into buying, by depleting our other options. Sure, there are tracfones and things like that - and they aren't that bad, they do what you need a phone to do - but a lot of people would rather have the unlimited texting and not have to worry about running out of minutes.

That said, smartphones will never hold a candle to real gaming devices.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Granpire

Sure, there are tracfones and things like that - and they aren't that bad, they do what you need a phone to do - but a lot of people would rather have the unlimited texting and not have to worry about running out of minutes.Ovirew
The quality of your phone has absolutely nothing to do with the features of your plan...

I've got an ultra-weak smartphone, but I've still got unlimited texting. In fact, simply buying a phone off-contract is cheaper when you work out the price of the plan you're forced to stick with on a contract. So buying a cheaper, less powerful phone will actually let you get better plan features for cheaper.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic rant.

Everything else is right.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
sad thing is iphone and android now have better games than the vita and I can't see that changing. Develop for phones and you have a huge potential customer base develop for vita you have a tiny one. imprezawrx500
Then you must prefer cheap games that lack controls, features,etc. It's why I gotta have a dedicated portable like vita and a phone unless something changes.. Psp ds and now 3ds did fine with smartphone gaming around. So I don't think that is vita's problem this gen.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

yee..u kind of forgot about JB... u know..the major player in the gaming market in australia...

vs

or

xl with no game.

campzor
Out of those options, I would take the 3DS XL. It is $199, so I have another $100 to go to meet the total of the Vita deal and with that, I can buy 3-5 3DS games. Depending if I buy new or used games.
psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts
[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]sad thing is iphone and android now have better games than the vita and I can't see that changing. Develop for phones and you have a huge potential customer base develop for vita you have a tiny one. p4s2p0
Then you must prefer cheap games that lack controls, features,etc. It's why I gotta have a dedicated portable like vita and a phone unless something changes.. Psp ds and now 3ds did fine with smartphone gaming around. So I don't think that is vita's problem this gen.

I can see this thread being locked and everyone being told to go to system wars because of all the talk about 3ds and cell phones. That being said, when the ds and psp came out, smart phone gaming was non existent I believe. Who had an iPhone or Android device back then to game on? Now the market is vastly different. In fact, when you look at some of the Vita games such as Dynasty Warriors Next, some of the gameplay comes straight out of Infinity Blade. I think they may be trying to ride on the coat tales of the success of mobile gaming, and yet they are failing hard as the thread topic says. As far as those cheap games go, look at some of the uber epic games that have come out in the app store recently. FF III, Infinity Blade, Dungeon Hunter, Modern Combat and NOVA (knock offs as they are not withstanding), and a whole host of other great games that actually have great play controls despite being touch screen only, and with playing these games on iPad, controls are almost a non issue. For me anyway.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmazonTreeBoa
[QUOTE="p4s2p0"][QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]sad thing is iphone and android now have better games than the vita and I can't see that changing. Develop for phones and you have a huge potential customer base develop for vita you have a tiny one. psx_warrior

I can see this thread being locked and everyone being told to go to system wars because of all the talk about 3ds and cell phones. That being said, when the ds and psp came out, smart phone gaming was non existent I believe. Who had an iPhone or Android device back then to game on? Now the market is vastly different. In fact, when you look at some of the Vita games such as Dynasty Warriors Next, some of the gameplay comes straight out of Infinity Blade. I think they may be trying to ride on the coat tales of the success of mobile gaming, and yet they are failing hard as the thread topic says. As far as those cheap games go, look at some of the uber epic games that have come out in the app store recently. FF III, Infinity Blade, Dungeon Hunter, Modern Combat and NOVA (knock offs as they are not withstanding), and a whole host of other great games that actually have great play controls despite being touch screen only, and with playing these games on iPad, controls are almost a non issue. For me anyway.

I have about 60 games on my phone and none of them are the casual crap none smartphone gamers are always crying about.None smartphone gamers are in denial and refuse to educate themselves on smartphone gaming, which leads to them mentioning games like angry birds as their defense because that's the only smartphone game they have ever heard about. When in fact, there are a ton of great games out for smartphones, but people like P4s2p0 will never know that because they refuse to even look into smartphone gaming and will forever be ignorant to it. And you are right, this thread will probably be locked.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 p4s2p0
[QUOTE="p4s2p0"][QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]sad thing is iphone and android now have better games than the vita and I can't see that changing. Develop for phones and you have a huge potential customer base develop for vita you have a tiny one. psx_warrior

Psp had 2 years without iphone but after that I saw people gaming on them so it was there for most of its lifespan. Phone games for being low in price look like they do a decent job with the limitations they have.. But the touch only controls ruin it for me. Modern combat and nova I have checkout out. Nova is on psn if I wanted it. Dynasty warriors though not my type of game looks more interesting to me than infinty blade while they are somewhat similar they seem to have quite a few differences too
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 p4s2p0
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="psx_warrior"][QUOTE="p4s2p0"] Then you must prefer cheap games that lack controls, features,etc. It's why I gotta have a dedicated portable like vita and a phone unless something changes.. Psp ds and now 3ds did fine with smartphone gaming around. So I don't think that is vita's problem this gen.

I have about 60 games on my phone and none of them are the casual crap none smartphone gamers are always crying about.None smartphone gamers are in denial and refuse to educate themselves on smartphone gaming, which leads to them mentioning games like angry birds as their defense because that's the only smartphone game they have ever heard about. When in fact, there are a ton of great games out for smartphones, but people like P4s2p0 will never know that because they refuse to even look into smartphone gaming and will forever be ignorant to it. And you are right, this thread will probably be locked.

I'm sure phones have good games for their limitations.. But I don't like touch only controls because I feel very limited in what I can do. If they are adequate for you great. But as you guys pointed out comparing them should be done in system wars. I could see people bringing up things about other systems as ways to improve vita but otherwise we should keep the discussion to it.. Like psn and nintendo's e shop getting minis/arcade games was a good move to counter phones.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="psx_warrior"][QUOTE="p4s2p0"] Then you must prefer cheap games that lack controls, features,etc. It's why I gotta have a dedicated portable like vita and a phone unless something changes.. Psp ds and now 3ds did fine with smartphone gaming around. So I don't think that is vita's problem this gen.

I consider myself to be a true hardcore gamer. I have an IPod Touch and have played some of the games it has to offer, but I'm really not impressed. Many of the games are really awful and lack much depth. There are a couple of decent ones, and PvsZ is one of them. I have another game where you have quick-draws against other IPod/IPhone users that is pretty cool. I also bought a couple earlier this year, when I was on my IPod game kick. Samurai Bloodshow is fairly strategic, as is Anomaly Warzone Earth. Still, none of these games are really anywhere near the level of a 'good' game on a handheld or console. I even tried Final Fantasy Dimensions for the heck of it, but it doesn't interest me as much as any of the older FF games. I was also on a brief Facebook kick earlier this year. Dungeon Rampage was fun, but there have been better games that do about what it does. I got into this one steampunk RPG-type game, but it was only mildly entertaining and I mostly liked it for its art style. The vast majority of games on Facebook, as well as many of them on app stores, are direct clones of other games on Facebook or the app store. There are a ton of 'RTS' and 'city building' games on Facebook, but none of them are even half of a substitute for good ol' Age of Empires. I think maybe it's a matter of opinion, but there's a lot of gamers who would agree with me that app games really aren't a substitute for real video games. I'll leave it at that.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 campzor
[QUOTE="campzor"]

vs

or

xl with no game.

AmazonTreeBoa
Out of those options, I would take the 3DS XL. It is $199, so I have another $100 to go to meet the total of the Vita deal and with that, I can buy 3-5 3DS games. Depending if I buy new or used games.

im specifically talking about bundle deals... even by itself its not $199 at JB..its $229
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AmazonTreeBoa
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="campzor"]

vs

or

xl with no game.

campzor

im specifically talking about bundle deals... even by itself its not $199 at JB..its $229

What is $229, the 3DS XL or the Vita? Either way, the 3DS XL is $199. If you decide to buy it somewhere that charges more, that's your problem.
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Granpire
You know, I sometimes wonder if any mods even browse this forum anymore... A passing mention of the 3DS is one thing, but pictures and a discussion of its price is totally unnecessary. Just let it go, and talk about the Vita...
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 campzor
[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Out of those options, I would take the 3DS XL. It is $199, so I have another $100 to go to meet the total of the Vita deal and with that, I can buy 3-5 3DS games. Depending if I buy new or used games.AmazonTreeBoa

What is $229, the 3DS XL or the Vita? Either way, the 3DS XL is $199. If you decide to buy it somewhere that charges more, that's your problem.

im talking australia, not america... its $229 in australia...and thats the 3ds im talking about. Vita deal is better.
DeviIHuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DeviIHuman

I thin for me Sony slow release in such countries like Australia and Europe is really delayed. correct me if I am wrong ^_^

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Granpire
That's known to be true of digital game releases, but I don't think that's usually the case with hardware releases.
DeviIHuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DeviIHuman

I can say that this might make all Japanese gaming company rich if they make a multi-language games. Other countires will import to Physical copy on them then the EUR version will not hit since the delay cause the eagerness to purchase a game.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AmazonTreeBoa
[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="campzor"] im specifically talking about bundle deals... even by itself its not $199 at JB..its $229

im talking australia, not america... its $229 in australia...and thats the 3ds im talking about. Vita deal is better.

So in Aussie, the Vita is cheaper than the 3DS?
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 campzor
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"] What is $229, the 3DS XL or the Vita? Either way, the 3DS XL is $199. If you decide to buy it somewhere that charges more, that's your problem.

So in Aussie, the Vita is cheaper than the 3DS?

standalone console...no But bundled..you get the better deal with the vita