New Firmware removes alternate OS support - Does anyone care?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Sony have announced their new patch is going to remove the support for OS' like Linux on the PS3 in order to combat potential privacy. What it' will basically do is just remove the "install other OS" option.

I was wondering, does anyone care? I personally have no need to install an alternate OS on my PS3 anymore and I wondered how many people did it. Might not be worth them maintaining functionality like that if it's not used.

EDIT2 : Here's the correct link to the Sony article http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts
The "firmware update" is due to release April 1st so there's a good chance it's an April Fool's joke.
Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

No I couldn't care less.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
The "firmware update" is due to release April 1st so there's a good chance it's an April Fool's joke.abdelmessih101
Possibly but they removed it on the slims and it's not even a funny joke. it would be sorta funny if it was more like "Cannot play games that start with vowels" or something so ridiculously funny like that.
TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TehSonofUgly
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts

The "firmware update" is due to release April 1st so there's a good chance it's an April Fool's joke.abdelmessih101

(This is "not an April fools joke," as the PlayStation Europe blog clarifies.)

I don't use it anymore, and hardly used it when I had it, (I install Fedora 8 on an 80gb that was later stolen) but it was definitely a cool option to have. I don't think Sony should be taking it away just because of the security hole, because it really turned your PS3 into a PC, and thats a reason that a lot people bought it for.

Also:

Consumers and organizations that currently use the "Other OS" feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

• Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
  • Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
  • Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
  • Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
I don't use it myself, but I had always considered putting it back on. I probably won't update for a good long while. I certainly don't appreciate features that were sold as part of the unit being taken away.
shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts

well it's not... http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/

I was never going to use it anyways but i really want to punch that GeoHot in the face right now.

conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
I installed linux but dont use it quite often but what about all the universities,research labs and scientists that use it.This is going to be really bad news for them.
TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TehSonofUgly
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts

[QUOTE="abdelmessih101"]The "firmware update" is due to release April 1st so there's a good chance it's an April Fool's joke.shani_boy101

well it's not... http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/

I was never going to use it anyways but i really want to punch that GeoHot in the face right now.

As do many

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

Nope. It's not really a "good" thing they're doing it, but the majority of the PS3 owners will never even consider installing another OS to their system so it's not like it matters to them. However, for the people that do have another OS installed and frequently use it, I can imagine they want to smack Sony upside the head for removing support for alternate OS'es.

hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hotfiree
Member since 2006 • 2185 Posts

No I couldn't care less.

Megaman5364
This. Who cares i bought a ps3 to play games - i bought a PC for PC things.
kayne2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 kayne2000
Member since 2004 • 5583 Posts
well next thing you know music playback will be removed cause nobody uses that either right?????
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

There are tons of people who aren't posting in these topics who do care and are extremely angry.

They don't because discussing about why they have Linux on their PS3s will result in a suspension or ban form the mods.

chaotzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chaotzu
Member since 2005 • 773 Posts

There are tons of people who aren't posting in these topics who do care and are extremely angry.

They don't because discussing about why they have Linux on their PS3s will result in a suspension or ban form the mods.

Rikusaki
...And that's the reason why Sony's removing it.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

chaotzu

...And that's the reason why Sony's removing it.

Why would Sony care? It's not their games that are being pirated.

It's all SNES and Genesis games.... I shouldn't discuss this any further. I might get into trouble...

CZVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CZVA
Member since 2009 • 1166 Posts

Thats kind of like saying "buy the PS3, you can play games on it" then removing the ability to play games. I dont use the other OS feature, nor does my new PS3 Slim support it, but Sony is making a **** move by doing this. I dont give one damn about this feature but Sony doing this is just saying FU to consumers.

I didnt care about them removing it from the Slims. But removing it from the Fats is just.........

Avatar image for deactivated-618270cdaadf2
deactivated-618270cdaadf2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 deactivated-618270cdaadf2
Member since 2006 • 2268 Posts

no who does only the tech nerds.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Not a April Fools joke..they got rid of it with the SLIM like other ppl said, so it's only natural that they'd do the same with the rest.
CZVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CZVA

Not a April Fools joke..they got rid of it with the SLIM like other ppl said, so it's only natural that they'd do the same with the rest.gamer082009

No you fool, its not natural they do it to the rest. The Slim wasnt advertised with Linux support. The original ones were.

piis3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 piis3
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

Thats kind of like saying "buy the PS3, you can play games on it" then removing the ability to play games.CZVA

That's ridiculous, playing games (or watching Blu-ray movies etc) is a core feature of the PS3 whereas 'OtherOS' was at best a supplementary feature used by the vast minority. Vocal minorities will inevitably whinge disproportionately about everything, that's the unavoidable nature of all internet forums. However, it's important to note that the silent majority don't care about non-issues like this.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

I'm hoping that it's still an April Fools joke and when the update goes live it's for something really amazing. :P

Either way, it's a feature I never used when I had my 60GB model so I won't miss it.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

I don't care either way.

I installed linux but dont use it quite often but what about all the universities,research labs and scientists that use it.This is going to be really bad news for them.conistant

I'd like to point your here:

Consumers and organizations that currently use the "Other OS" feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

• Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
  • Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
  • Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
  • Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

TehSonofUgly

If they're using it for research then they shouldn't have any issues. The lab assistant who would sneak off and play Flower might me upset though.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

This better be a joke (an unfunny one).

I for one do use it and purchased the PS3 specifically to use Linux and play network games. So they are saying you can now only do one or the other... thats not right. If they offered to buy back my PS3 and all the games then fine by me. Oh and not forgetting my purchased psn games and they going to refund me for them too as I won't be able to play them?

If they really are going to do this like people are saying (although they could be in on the joke), then I hope the PS£ does get hacked and if it does I will be ripping off all games made by SCE.

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
The people who vote that this is "a good thing" should be kicked in the balls. Removing functionality of something like the PS3 is never a good thing! I used this feature a lot and am one of the many who will be pretty bummed when this actually takes place. I never used it for playing old game roms, either. A PSP could do that just fine. I used mine to stream PC games to my PS3 so I could use the Sixaxis controller and HDTV to play them. It was a very nice way to play Crysis, Mass Effect 2, and Left 4 Dead... Thanks a lot, GeoHot. And to the rest of you "its a good thing" voters, I hope you choke on your Cheerios this morning. ;)
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

I don't care at all. I didn't even know it had that feature.

RadTad62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 RadTad62
Member since 2003 • 667 Posts

doesn't bother mei never used it and never will not havingit doesn't take away or add to gameplay and thats all that matters to me.

Cloud418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cloud418
Member since 2005 • 1969 Posts

What exactly is this feature? Can someone be nice enough to explain?

I use my PS3 to stream media from my laptop to my PS3. Would this be something that will be taken away?

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

I don't care but ho ho... a LOT of people care.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Couldn't care less. I don't use it.
alstevens83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 alstevens83
Member since 2008 • 1462 Posts

It's a good thing for me, I don't us alternate OS support.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Don't care. Don't use it.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

What exactly is this feature? Can someone be nice enough to explain?

I use my PS3 to stream media from my laptop to my PS3. Would this be something that will be taken away?

Cloud418
No it won't effect anything you are currently doing. It was a feature that let you run the Linux operating system. Which let you use your PS3 more like a PC. My understanding was hackers were starting to brag a few weeks ago about how they "cracked" the PS3 using the Linux OS, which is why they are getting rid of the option.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
I was about to install yellow dog again aghhhhhhh. So its the only console that takes away features.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
I was about to install yellow dog again aghhhhhhh. So its the only console that takes away features.Solid_Tango
Do you ever see Microsoft offering Linux in a million years on anything? :lol:
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

I'm not affected by it, but it does seem pretty wack to provide the service, and then withdraw the opportunity afterwards.

sportwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sportwarrior
Member since 2003 • 2462 Posts
Personally I would never use the feature.. but I hate it when companies take away features or functionality without any real reason backing them up. "Security concerns" almost certainly stem from that guy's hack of the PS3's OS. I suppose you could look at it as the guy ruining it for the rest of us, but still... seems pretty lame. And again, while I would never use the feature, I hate that it's being taken away.
MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

it really doesnt bother me

RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RedruM_I
Member since 2009 • 3051 Posts
For all those of you who want to keep the otheros feature and the ability to play online Geohotz, the hacker behing the original PS3 hack, posted in his blog that he is going to look for a way to install the firmware update without disabling the otheros feature. So if that feature is important for you have a little patience and DON'T update until that guy figures out how to do it. I know I won't be upgrading anytime soon.
MFbronz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MFbronz
Member since 2007 • 403 Posts

i dont even know how to use linux anyway so i really dont give a ship......yes i said ship and i dont give a damp either.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Chickan_117

The people who vote that this is "a good thing" should be kicked in the balls. Removing functionality of something like the PS3 is never a good thing! I used this feature a lot and am one of the many who will be pretty bummed when this actually takes place. I never used it for playing old game roms, either. A PSP could do that just fine. I used mine to stream PC games to my PS3 so I could use the Sixaxis controller and HDTV to play them. It was a very nice way to play Crysis, Mass Effect 2, and Left 4 Dead... Thanks a lot, GeoHot. And to the rest of you "its a good thing" voters, I hope you choke on your Cheerios this morning. ;)TheEldestGod

This is the only thing I used Linux for on my console too however I never got around to installing it again after the system failed and I got a vanilla unit back from Sony. Didn't have a need anymore as I have alternate solutions.

I think it's a shame the functionility will be removed as the versatility of the PS3 is one of the things that makes it so much a "cut above the rest". Also removing this ufunctionailty from the firmware will not stop people having consoles with alternate OS' installed. MS didn't allow the functionality on Xbox however Linux installed and ran quite nicely on that box...then again I never played online then so....

@conistant - What scientists use a Sony PS3 as a Linux box?! PCs are cheap enough, why would they use a PS3?

@April Fools Joke posts - Sony announced it at PAX and on their blog. Add this to the fact that they wouldn't release an April Fool's joke like this, especially after the recent leap year screwup....are you ppl crazy? Of course it's not an April Fool's joke.

RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RedruM_I
What scientists use a Sony PS3 as a Linux box?! PCs are cheap enough, why would they use a PS3?Chickan_117
The Cell processor is better at number crunching than basically all commercial CPUs out there right now (even supporting double floating point precision) and at a few hundred dollars worth it was a great deal.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chickan_117

[QUOTE="Chickan_117"]What scientists use a Sony PS3 as a Linux box?! PCs are cheap enough, why would they use a PS3?RedruM_I
The Cell processor is better at number crunching than basically all commercial CPUs out there right now (even supporting double floating point precision) and at a few hundred dollars worth it was a great deal.

Fair Enuf :)

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
I could really care less
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
Meh. Doesn't bother me. I've never once used an alternate OS on my PS3 and never had any plans to so I could care less if they take it out. Suck for those that do use it on a regular basis, but since it doesn't affect me I'm fine with it :P
CZVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CZVA

[QUOTE="CZVA"]

Thats kind of like saying "buy the PS3, you can play games on it" then removing the ability to play games.piis3

That's ridiculous, playing games (or watching Blu-ray movies etc) is a core feature of the PS3 whereas 'OtherOS' was at best a supplementary feature used by the vast minority. Vocal minorities will inevitably whinge disproportionately about everything, that's the unavoidable nature of all internet forums. However, it's important to note that the silent majority don't care about non-issues like this.

Doesnt matter how big or small it is. It was still advertised with that feature. Like I said, I dont give one damn about it, other than the 1% off chance that I might actually want to try out Linux on my PS3, but thats highly unlikely. All Im saying is, if youre going to advertise Linux support, you better keep that promise, or people will remember you for backing out. Its basically bait and switch. If Sony were to remove game or Blu-Ray support, you would have no right to complain since you think removing the "other OS" feature is reasonable. Doesnt matter if it affects the minority or majority.

Also, removing "other OS" support to fight piracy just shows Sonys laziness. Wouldnt it be better on their image if they tightened security rather than removing the whole feature through pure laziness?

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Chickan_117

[QUOTE="piis3"]

[QUOTE="CZVA"]

Thats kind of like saying "buy the PS3, you can play games on it" then removing the ability to play games.CZVA

Doesnt matter how big or small it is. It was still advertised with that feature. Like I said, I dont give one damn about it, other than the 1% off chance that I might actually want to try out Linux on my PS3, but thats highly unlikely. All Im saying is, if youre going to advertise Linux support, you better keep that promise, or people will remember you for backing out. Its basically bait and switch. If Sony were to remove game or Blu-Ray support, you would have no right to complain since you think removing the "other OS" feature is reasonable. Doesnt matter if it affects the minority or majority.

Also, removing "other OS" support to fight piracy just shows Sonys laziness. Wouldnt it be better on their image if they tightened security rather than removing the whole feature through pure laziness?

Technically you're right however you can't put additional OS support on the same level as blueray or games. The PS3 is primarily a gaming machine, secondly a media machine and finally all the rest. Removing this feature could be compared to removing the backup feature or PSP remote play support or something like that but not, IMO, gaming.

That said, you're still right. If a machine is advertised as having XXX functionality and then said functionality is removed 4 years after launch, people have a right to be annoyed. I think Sony have looked at the usage of this feature and decided that it's removal won't affect the majority of it's user base. I wouldn't be surprised if they cop a lot of flak for this tho!

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
I used it whenever I got banned from the computer. My parents didn't know about that feature. Oh well xD
RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RedruM_I
Please all of you who care and even those who don't make a favor for us owners who used the feature and vote here to petition for the otheros not to be removed. Maybe Sony will reconsider. http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/?s=remove+other+OS
Deaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Deaho
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

let sony do what ever they want,I think this my last sony console ,won't pay for them any more,they are just trying to make us the same as the slim owners so the slim owners don't be jealous.

by the way I don't use other operating system but its some thing should be special for people who bought ps3 early,I am a fraid sony come up one day and say oh new firmware that will remove ps2 BC bec of any kind of reason,so the slim owners can be happy and say oh we all the same now.

hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hotfiree
Member since 2006 • 2185 Posts
Obviously an april fools though....