Metal Gear Solid 4: Could It Have Been Better?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts

Your opinions, please! Do you think it's a perfect masterpiece, a masterpiece with flaws, a disappointment? Could the game have been better in your eyes? And of course, reasons behind your statements work too. Arguments are far more than welcomed.

(Note: No poll since for this thread, I want to hear your opinion. If you can't voice it, we don't need to see it in any form, right?)

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

I didn't like the change from the jungle environment, also I didn't like the camo that automatically blended in to the environment, boss fights were lame compared to MGS3's absolutely amazing boss fights, the cutscenes seemed to drag on, also the story was terrible compared to MGS3.

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
Any game could have been better depending on the eyes that viewed it. Some will think MGS4 was an amazing flawless game, others with think it could have been better.
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

more gameplay. Some of the cutscenesshould have been shorter

Definitely better boss fights. After MGS3's amazing boss battles the B&Bs fell completely flat

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18811 Posts
[QUOTE="AsadMahdi59"]

more gameplay. Some of the cutscenesshould have been shorter

Definitely better boss fights. After MGS3's amazing boss battles the B&Bs fell completely flat

More Gameplay is the obvious answer. They should of went with the diversity of MGS1 and 2.
SylvanMidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SylvanMidget
Member since 2009 • 600 Posts

I think the first time you play it, its a masterpiece. Its a game I could never bring myself to finish from top to bottom after I beat it.

For me, its a boarderline top 5 game this gen. Like I said its a perfect 10 on the first playthrough, but after I started up my second run it lost some of its magic for me.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
I honestly can't think of anything that'd make it that much better. IMO
jetslalom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jetslalom
Member since 2010 • 574 Posts

no because it came out2 yrs ago and so many games copied the gameplay of mgs4 after it

octobermagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 octobermagic
Member since 2009 • 524 Posts

MGS4 is a a god!!!!! A god that I traded to gamestop after completing it. Felt way too guilty and sleezy a couple months later so I purchased it again from amazon. :)

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a Masterpiece done so perfectly, if it could be even better, no doubt it would with Kojima holding it down.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
Usually when I say a game is perfect I mean for the time and about a couple years later I say "Yea, they could probably improved it at this point" but I can't honestly say that about Metal Gear Solid 4. Maybe it seems ridiculous to call a game perfect but MGS4, at least in my opinion, seriously is perfect. I never saw a game to this date wrap up so many plot threads and have the most perfect ending possible for such a game.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Yeah, it could've. I guess they could've shortened up a few cutscenes. My biggest gripe was how they wrapped up all (or at least, most) the loose ends.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
The biggest problem the game had was it's pacing. The first two chapters are gameplay-heavy, while the latter chapters feature significantly less gameplay (especially the last one). At least Konami saw fit to include a) pausing of videos, and b) occasional save points between videos so you didn't have to watch 30 minutes straight if you didn't have time.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#14 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
For me, it was the inferior boss fights with the B&B corp, their lack of interaction on the plot (Remember Fortune? She was all up in MGS2. And Vamp? He was all up in MGS2 AND 4. See?), and of course.....their lack of THE main theme. That was a vital piece of MGS magic I wanted to hear since I picked up the game.
Lantern-Cusp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lantern-Cusp
Member since 2009 • 739 Posts

no, i thought it was perfect, by far the best in the series.

zark1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zark1989
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

It was a great game. Everything was perfect except ONE thing...

like everyone else says...

The boss fights. They were pretty boring because they were not too much of a challenge.The B&B's were tied into the story so well though that it was hard to say the game was bad because of that. I still give it a 9.9.

dkidfrmdbx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 dkidfrmdbx
Member since 2005 • 453 Posts

i defintely feel it is. I rmeber playing it through and just being amazed, the way kojima wrapped everything up, the graphics, the cutscenes, and one word RAIDEN, He was so badbutt and seeing shadow moses definitely made chills run through my spine. Ive been cotemplating playing the series again recently, but MGS4 was definitely a perfect game. Well worth the money, and some games today fail to look as good as it does.

dkidfrmdbx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dkidfrmdbx

oo and i cant belive i forgot to mention the final fight with ocelet was the most epic boss fight ive ever expirienced, and being that i played every single MGS game it made me feel good on the inside

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Symphonycometh

It was a great game. Everything was perfect except ONE thing...

like everyone else says...

The boss fights. They were pretty boring because they were not too much of a challenge.The B&B's were tied into the story so well though that it was hard to say the game was bad because of that. I still give it a 9.9.

zark1989
Yeah. Crying Wolf and our Mantis friend were so important to the plot. God knows what would have happened if they were never part of the integral story.
UmWhatTheHell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 UmWhatTheHell
The game sucked, made the rest look bad...
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

Yes, it could be. but it's already more than enough for me.

dkidfrmdbx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dkidfrmdbx

oo did i forget the fight between metal gear ray and metal gear rex... super epic especially on 1080P

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

While it is def a masterpiece i think therewas still room for improvment. act's 1 and 2 were GREAT but acts 3,4 and that mini act5 were just not as good as the first two imo. not that they didnt have there moments "rex vs ray ;)" but overall the last 3 acts just didnt seem as deep gameplay wise. Also some aspects of the story just seemed goofy to me and even purposly and needlesly over complexe.One thing i will def say is that IMHO the graphics have yet to be completly beat. sure Killzone 2 and Uncharted2 had a little more complexe enviroments and/or more effects but MGS4 had the cleanest visuals IMHO as a complete pakage i prefered the look of MGS4.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Symphonycometh

oo did i forget the fight between metal gear ray and metal gear rex... super epic especially on 1080P

dkidfrmdbx
lol. You really loved those fights eh? I actually liked Ocelot's battle the best. :P
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts
The game sucked, made the rest look bad...UmWhatTheHell
your name is very ironic lol
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Symphonycometh
[QUOTE="UmWhatTheHell"]The game sucked, made the rest look bad...Wild_Card
your name is very ironic lol

Ha. Hahaha. XD I chuckled a bit more than I should have.
zark1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zark1989

[QUOTE="dkidfrmdbx"]

Symphonycometh

lol. You really loved those fights eh? I actually liked Ocelot's battle the best. :P

***SPOILER BELOW***

The final fight between Snake and Liquid (and the alter egos) was the most epic fight in a video game EVER. Especially if you have played every MG game.

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

It was good. I'm not sure what I would've changed to make it better though. I thoroughly enjoyed it my first several playthroughs when the game first came out. If I went back and played through it now I'm not sure I would enjoy it quite as much...

kane1511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kane1511
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts

The only change that would make it alot better would be if it gave free money.

munkeypoo45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 munkeypoo45
Member since 2008 • 3221 Posts

the game was a perfect masterpiece with flaws.......

BMAC520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BMAC520
Member since 2004 • 310 Posts

IMO: as a showcase for what the ps3 is capable of in terms of gaming, graphics, presentation, mgs4 is a masterpiece. Its the best looking game to date, even better than UC2 or KZ2 I think. The faces were very detailed as well as the enviornments and background. The boss battles were epic (MGS fans you know which one im talking about).

However, as a MGS game I taught it could of been done way better. First of all, TOO MANY cutscenes, I felt like i did 80% watchin and 20% playing. Also, I hated the idea of Drebin, buying guns and ammo, come on guys, its a MGS game, let us find ammo. At first i didn't lie the chapter setup, I would of much rather have it in one location during a short time frame type deal, it feels more urgernt. And the bosses were lame overall, I miss Foxhound bosses, the best in the series.

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#32 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

Yes, it could have been a lot better. It was great nothing more, I'd rate it 8.5, which it deserves!

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts

I didn't like the change from the jungle environment, also I didn't like the camo that automatically blended in to the environment, boss fights were lame compared to MGS3's absolutely amazing boss fights, the cutscenes seemed to drag on, also the story was terrible compared to MGS3.

StealthMonkey4
Agreed with this an 80% The boss fights on mgs4 werent as good as the ones in mgs3 ( the end,the sorrow were epic) the story wasnt bad either. Hopefully peace walker makes it better, a share it aint on the ps3 tho
ks1990steelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ks1990steelman
Member since 2009 • 1418 Posts
It could have better bosses and boss fights but it's still a masterpiece, IMO. The octo-camo thing was really awesome.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

StealthMonkey4
I'm exactly opposite your opinion. I HATED the boring jungle levels and the boss fights in MGS3 were unoriginal and didn't leave any impression to me. MGS 4 on the other side is the best in the series except MGS 1. It's the most epic game I have played, besides mgs1, and it has awesome online aswell.
San_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 San_09
Member since 2009 • 1206 Posts

Masterpiece, best on the PS3 IMO.

Missing? Boss Rush mode and Demo theater. Seriously, why isnt it there?

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Symphonycometh

Masterpiece, best on the PS3 IMO.

Missing? Boss Rush mode and Demo theater. Seriously, why isnt it there?

San_09
Good question.
Avatar image for MickaelJulliard
MickaelJulliard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 MickaelJulliard
Member since 2007 • 905 Posts

I loved it, definitely in my top 5 games of all time :)

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 anime_gamer007

I don't get how people say the boss fights weren't important to the story. Just because they weren't as focused on as previous bosses doesn't degrade their importance to the story. Do you guys seriously have that bad of a memory? They tie perfectly in with Snake's opening line "War has changed." The B&B Corps. were examples of how impersonal and controlled war has become. The B&B were traumatized by war and were all driven to kill Snake. When they get out of their suits it's like when the PMC soldiers' nanomachines were suppressed and they all remember the horrors of war, everything came rushing back to them and they showed their true emotions.

ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ProjectTrinity

I don't get how people say the boss fights weren't important to the story. Just because they weren't as focused on as previous bosses doesn't degrade their importance to the story. Do you guys seriously have that bad of a memory? They tie perfectly in with Snake's opening line "War has changed." The B&B Corps. were examples of how impersonal and controlled war has become. The B&B were traumatized by war and were all driven to kill Snake. When they get out of their suits it's like when the PMC soldiers' nanomachines were suppressed and they all remember the horrors of war, everything came rushing back to them and they showed their true emotions.

anime_gamer007
In the previous games, Kojima could have done JUST what you said, WHILE having them more into the plot than they were in MGS4. Making an exception for the near-uselessness of the bosses based on "Here's an example on how war has changed! =D" isn't really going to make any question their original points at all. Anyone, not just Kojima, could have come up with better boss fights and made them more involved in the story. Heh, he could have done better WITH the B&B corp. Some important interactions, plot-twists, anything. But he didn't. They were add-ons. Just look at Vamp's involvement. None of them hold a candle on how important he was.
octobermagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 octobermagic
Member since 2009 • 524 Posts

I loved all the cut scenes. It was like a mini movie inside an already fantastic game. Seems alot of people wanted the scenes shorter. Hmm go figure.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

It might sound frivolous, but the Codec was a major disappointment this time around.This was a great source of humor in the previous games.

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

I thought it was the perfect exclamation point to the MGS series or at least Snake's run as the main focus/character in the series. I loved every bit of it and honestly I never felt overwhelmed by the cut scenes because they were so engrossing for me. I loved the gameplay, music, graphics, and so on. Everything about it just felt right to me.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
Ah MGS4, the one game that definitely has left a strong mark in all the years I have been gaming. Could it have been better? Well looking back sure but that could be said about any game ever made. The way MGS4 is right now I say it's near perfection, the best gameplay in an MGS game and one of the most interesting and well told stories, or conclusion. I was thoroughly impressed with the story and felt Kojima definitely ticked all the boxes in terms of how it concluded. I have no complaints other then nit-picking, I mean why did the game have to end!
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 anime_gamer007

[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"]

ProjectTrinity

In the previous games, Kojima could have done JUST what you said, WHILE having them more into the plot than they were in MGS4. Making an exception for the near-uselessness of the bosses based on "Here's an example on how war has changed! =D" isn't really going to make any question their original points at all. Anyone, not just Kojima, could have come up with better boss fights and made them more involved in the story. Heh, he could have done better WITH the B&B corp. Some important interactions, plot-twists, anything. But he didn't. They were add-ons. Just look at Vamp's involvement. None of them hold a candle on how important he was.

Vamp is not as important as you're making him out to be. All he did was start a sub plot between him and Otacon, it was never ESSENTIAL to the main storyline. Besides it's not like MGS4 even needed these storyline involved boss fights (even though they are) you claim it didn't have. The whole game was building up to when you finally got to face your arch rival, Liquid. That final battle alone beats any boss in every other MGS game. Sure, Kojima probably could have done something to make the B&B Corps more central to the storyline but it not like the game is lacking without it. Personally I felt just as much satisfaction when I beat Crying Wolf as when I beat The End or Sniper Wolf. Psycho Mantis ends up being the real leader of the B&B Corps, is not enough of a twist with the bosses? If the B&B Corps were as involved as you wanted them to be the story would seriously get WAY out of hand. It's already convoluted enough and difficult to fully understand adding more twists with the bosses would be overkill and completely unnecessary. This just comes down to personal preference, so to each his own.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
If Snake had actually ate that bullet I don't think anything could have topped it story wise. I would have effing cried my eyes out. Kojima is a coward.
ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ProjectTrinity
I really hope I don't have to list the things Vamp has done in MGS2 and a bit of MGS4. And I do believe when EVERYONE says "Boss fights were lackluster", they weren't including Ocelot. They were including the B&B corp specifically. Hence is why I stated, and several others stated, that it was those 4 boss fights that lacked importance. Any fan of MGS4 could tell you they could totally handle the B&B corp being more important to the plot without it being overwhelming as a whole. So sorry, no, no we don't have "that bad of a memory". We're just on the opinion that "They could have been handled MUCH better". So we will "each our own" without someone questioning our memories.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

It was my first MGS game so my background is a little different than most. I liked almost everything about it. The shooting could have been better, but it's not really about running and gunning so I guess it was good enough. The biggest things that upset me were...

• Snake's voice... The voice actor is either horrible at best or Kojima wants Snake to sound like a crappy voice actor. With all the other goofy stuff in the game, it could very well be the later.
  • Boss backgrounds weren't cutscenes... those were the most interesting stories in the game to me, but they were like the only ones that didn't have cutscenes. Those should've been more than just a text based Codex conversation.
  • Cutscene fights didn't have bass. Bass is critical for me. Without it, it's like watching a fight scene on mute.

Those are my only complaints that I feel are worth mentioning. The gameplay is really old school feeling, but to me it was like Mario in the sense that they kept it how it probably was way back in the 80s, but dressed it up to look modern. I could see people complaining, but I liked it because of that.

It also helped that I love anime so for me the cutscenes were like watching an anime episode, stop for 15 minutes to play a game, then watch another episode. If you don't like anime I could see you totally hating the length of the cutscenes and a lot of the content in it.

Plus... it's got Drebin, which more than makes up for any shortcomings.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Need more gameplay to it..it definitely lacks more time put into playing the game. The game is a masterpiece for sure, but it feels like they took the lazy way out and made the cut scenes too much of a mainstay of the game. Will always love MGS games no matter what.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

The gameplay is fine, there's no question with that. (aside from the Ocelot fight of coarse)

But as far as the story itself? I think those plot holes could've been "better filled". It just seems like it was quickly filled with paper instead of the soil (or dirt) it was originally apart of. Many "closings" in the story were not closed properly and were covered with blanket solutions.

I knew about Zero and Ocelot, but didn't expect "the entire cast of MGS3" to be The Patriots. Not to mention, this "It was all about nano machines!" stuff.

I think they completely screwed up Vamp as well.