Is the Vita Really Going To Die??

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts
So a ton of people are saying that the Vita is not going to last more then a year...:( Is this true because I really want to get a vita but want its lifespan to be long and filled with great games:) I love my 3ds and want to experince the otherside of the handheld market. (I HATE BEING A FANBOY)
lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

I think yes. Because moronic Sony released this metal thing and wont even support it. No good patches for long weeks.. Nothing

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
It won't die, there's just the post launch lull (and nothing from the launch really has any lasting value) and no really great games in the near future. It's just kind of sad the hardware is so nice but there aren't the games to back it up yet.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
it's fine. Come E3 sony will most likely show a lot of games. It's getting a good amount games in the near future too.
Uchiha_Sasuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Uchiha_Sasuke1
Member since 2002 • 1636 Posts
it would be a good idea for sony to make news if ps2 games are playable for Vita. That way it would prolong its handheld to longer lifespan
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
It is currently selling worse than the Gamecube was through the same time period. It is doing especially terrible in Japan, which is where most relevant handheld developers and publishers are based. Add that to the fact that Sony's biggest IPs in terms of sales are Uncharted (West) and Hot Shots (Japan), and neither sold units. At this point people who expect it to recover without a significant price drop and some major software support (we're talking exclusive FF, MGS, DQ, MH, or GTA kind of major) are kidding themselves. The biggest games announced for it (Phantasy Star Online 2, Hatsune Miku, Final Fantasy X HD, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Persona 4 Golden) are ALL either a port or a multiplatform game, and that should speak volumes about the faith developers currently have in the future of the platform. No exclusives means no sales and no sales means no exclusives. It's a vicious cycle. I really want the Vita to do well and I plan to buy one myself, but unless Sony brings out some heavy hitters at E3 and TGS THIS YEAR the platform will likely be left for dead by third parties.
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#7 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

It's already being sold where I live with a starter pack (Loblaws) or with MLB 12 (WalMart).

I'm curious to see what the next sale tactic will be. A base price of $200 or a drop in the cost of a 32mb card would get me interested.

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
I think not give it time.
ColdScorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ColdScorpion
Member since 2005 • 506 Posts

Of course not it just needs time. It's only been out for 2 months people just expect too much right from the start. Don't let people hinder you from buying one if its what you want. Most of the time they can't afford one themselves so they just try to convince everyone else that buying one would be a dumb choice.

CrazyUkrainian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CrazyUkrainian
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
NOOOO. People are moronic creatures which act like broken telephones. The panic gets spread like an STD. Stop posting this crap and Vita will not die.
CrazyUkrainian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CrazyUkrainian
People who don't know anything about what's going on behind the scenes should STFU. Just because there are no announcements, doesn't mean that there is no development.
BzVita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BzVita

It's not going to die. It's going to last for years.;)

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

Nah, i doubt it

i just hope..scratch that...i PRAY, this E3 Sony atleast announce all PS1 classics, PS2 games, and the rest of the PSP library are now playable on the Vita. if not im going to be really pissed

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danish-death

It's already being sold where I live with a starter pack (Loblaws) or with MLB 12 (WalMart).

I'm curious to see what the next sale tactic will be. A base price of $200 or a drop in the cost of a 32mb card would get me interested.

d_parker
It's not uncommon to sell (new) conoles with a game and the PS Vita will definately not drop in price in the near future. The problem is mostly the games - while the current lineup is fine it won't bring people over. There is nothing unique about it and ignorant people will see nothing, but ports. Thrust me, Sony will blow all/most of their PS3 games before E3 so they can focus on the PSV. They won't talk about a new console (PS4/Orbis) and they don't want to waste too much time and take away hype from the PSV by showing PS3 games. Consider the following in a year: Exclusives. PS3/PSV games. "HD" ports (MGS, ZoE, FFX, Oddworld). Regular ports (Fifa, Rayman etc). Small/PSN games. Minis 250+ PSP games downloadable from the PSN store. In one year time that list will be huge. I sincerely doubt both EA and Activision will drop support for a handheld device capable of what the PSV can - we'll most definately be seeing COD, NFS, Deadspace and similar games sooner or later. If not then something has gone complete and utterly wrong.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 danish-death

Nah, i doubt it

i just hope..scratch that...i PRAY, this E3 Sony atleast announce all PS1 classics, PS2 games, and the rest of the PSP library are now playable on the Vita. if not im going to be really pissed

LP4EVA2005
You better start praying. Why should they port over the whole PS1, PS2 AND the whole PSP libary, when they cannot even be bothered doing that for the PS3? Try and think logically for a moment. They *might* port more PSP games + "HD" ports (those that are already coming for the PS3), but they'll most definately not be focusing on that - they might announce that they are working on some ports, but otherwise their main priority should be actual new games.
damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

Its not going to die for at least 4 years. We are only 2 months into the NA/EU release. When E3 comes and they announce all the western games that will come out this winter and early next year its going to be on everyones Xmas list. Also look for Sony to at least give us a timeframe for ps3 disk based remote play so they can take the wind out of Nintendo's Wii U sails. Its going to be a fun E3 i foresee.

shadow_Metroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#17 shadow_Metroid
Member since 2005 • 1631 Posts

When the first psp came out people said it was going to die within a year or two, but look at it now. So many great games.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LP4EVA2005

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]

Nah, i doubt it

danish-death

You better start praying. Why should they port over the whole PS1, PS2 AND the whole PSP libary, when they cannot even be bothered doing that for the PS3? Try and think logically for a moment. They *might* port more PSP games + "HD" ports (those that are already coming for the PS3), but they'll most definately not be focusing on that - they might announce that they are working on some ports, but otherwise their main priority should be actual new games.

What? who said anything about porting the Whole PS1/PS2/PSP library? im taking about the PS1/PS2/PSP games that are already in the PSN store...i want those to be playable on the Vita.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts
Of course not. Vita has at least 9 years, 10 months left. There are other uses for the Vita. It has a web browser, which is decent enough to run any decently programmed web application, sites load decently. It's not the best, but it'll likely improve over time. So in a sense that's like a portable computer, even if it is bigger than smartphone, it's still easier to transport than a large laptop. And the PSP games are really easy to see on that huge screen that even if you mostly just focused on those, plus those few Vita games that would come out in its theoretical short lifespan, you'd still have a system of value. But of course it's up to you if it's worth the asking price.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
The short answer is NO. However people don't realize that Sony is the same as any other Manufacturers. It's the greed and the expectations of constant wanting MORE from the consumers ... that is the real issue.
e_stone001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 e_stone001
Member since 2007 • 1769 Posts

I know Sony is gonna announce a lot of games at E3, but I hope the majority are mostly for the Vita and "only" on the Vita.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#22 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
I don't care much about exclusivity, but I'd like to see some truly unique titles as well, if that was your point. Actually, since we're on the topic, I wouldn't mind seeing more buy one, get both games, in the vein of Pinball Arcade and the European version of Motorstorm RC. If they're unique and new, then more power to me if they're also PS3-compatible!
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

sony never gave up on the ps3 and the psp is still standing.... i think they might turn things around when the big games comeout.

daiyume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 daiyume
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

The Vita and the 3DS are different enough to cater to different markets through providing different experiences, even taking account of overlay. There are games that I prefer to play on the Vita instead of the 3DS and games that I prefer to play on the 3DS than Vita. I think developers understand that and that is why there are going to be many experiences exclusive to the Vita.

It probably won't do as well as the 3DS, but it doesn't need to and it certainly won't die.

e_stone001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 e_stone001
Member since 2007 • 1769 Posts
hopefully it dies, that would be better funny since sony fanboys spent 350+ on their vitas just to have them die offSamus3D
Umm.... you know this isn't SW right? :roll:
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

na..just a slow start like the 3ds

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
If they announced some sort of backwards compatibility with UMDs at E3 or that Japanese UMD program, then I would immediately buy a $250 Vita. I'll get one eventually when the games really start rolling out but never this early.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 danish-death

[QUOTE="danish-death"][QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]

Nah, i doubt it

LP4EVA2005

What? who said anything about porting the Whole PS1/PS2/PSP library? im taking about the PS1/PS2/PSP games that are already in the PSN store...i want those to be playable on the Vita.

Read what you wrote. How am I supposed to know any different?

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Probably won't die, but it's at real risk of third party developers pulling out of making games for the Vita.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

No, the system will not die. The Vita is suffering what all gaming devices do, lack of software. Third parties did the same with the 3DS. Third party support is not super strong right now, but it will get there. Sony is putting out Warriors Lair, Little Big Planet, Gravity Rush, Resistance, and Killzone. Hopefully XSeed will publish Ragnarok Oddysey and Orgarythm. Sony will also eventually bring over Soul Sacrifice after its Japanese release. I do not see where there is a lack of software as of yet. Maybe Sony already has third party games coming, but it is waiting for E3. This could be the reason why the company is talking about its PS3 games for 2012. People should focus on playing games instead whether a system will last. Everybody said the PS3 was going to be dead after its first year, but somehow it still lives today. Granted, Nintendo will always dominate because people always associate handheld gaming with the company. After Game Gear disappeared, Game Boy and GBA went without competition in the West for years. No one even comments on how the Vita is doing in Western territories. I know that Vgchartz is not the most trusted site around for numbers, but it is at leas in the ballpark range. From what I have seen the new handhelds are at a 2 to 1 ration with one another in North America and Europe. If the ration was at 4 to 1, then I would start to get worried. That is not too terrible given the price of the Vita plus memory cards. Everyone focuses on Japan way too much in regards to handhelds. The economy sucks right and no one is buying anything.

I think The Vita will be more of a Western gaming device while the 3DS will remain more Eastern oriented. I cannot back it up with anything, but I just get that feeling.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LP4EVA2005

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]

[QUOTE="danish-death"] You better start praying. Why should they port over the whole PS1, PS2 AND the whole PSP libary, when they cannot even be bothered doing that for the PS3? Try and think logically for a moment. They *might* port more PSP games + "HD" ports (those that are already coming for the PS3), but they'll most definately not be focusing on that - they might announce that they are working on some ports, but otherwise their main priority should be actual new games.danish-death

Read what you wrote. How am I supposed to know any different?

True. i should have stated the ones in the Store only, rather then "All"..my apologies.
darkwolf1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34 darkwolf1982
Member since 2005 • 189 Posts

I wouldn't be so quick to believe such negative romours, given it's a new system. Not all the titles announced for the Vita came out during the launch, most of the good stuff is due to come out in May. To be honest, I am inclined to believe that for the Vita - This is the calm before the proverbial storm ;-)

It's only a matter of time before Tropical Storm Vita goes Category 5! OH YEAH!!!

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
I don't know what it is with Sony lately, their consoles launch bad but get better over time. This has been happening since the psp, although with the psp they were a little too late. With the ps3 they really turned it around and as the Xbox and wii are dwindling the ps3 still looks like it has some years left.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#36 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

No. It's doing badly in Japan, but it was sold out in PAL regions.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps-vita-first-edition-bundles-sell-out-6350849

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/PlayStation-Vita-psvita-Nintendo-3DS-Handheld,news-14300.html

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gamenerd15

I don't know what it is with Sony lately, their consoles launch bad but get better over time. This has been happening since the psp, although with the psp they were a little too late. With the ps3 they really turned it around and as the Xbox and wii are dwindling the ps3 still looks like it has some years left.Ghost120x

Sony has been this way since the first PlayStation. PS1 did not have a HUGE game until Final Fantasy 7. Twisted Metal and Crash were big, but the PlayStation brand did not become a household name until 97. PS2 had a rough first year. The launch was ok. A lot of games that came out in its first year were not super awesome. PS2 did not take off until after Metal Gear Solid 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, and Final Fantasy X came out. I do not know why people are expecting killer apps in 2 months of Vita's launch. No system has constant great titles at launch. Gravity Rush looks like it will be a killer app in terms of quality. Getting a great game within the first 4 months of a system's life cycle is pretty good news. Most systems take 8 months to a year to get great games. Sony should have had a few more games to help the months go by until E3, but what it did give us was better than how most systems start out. Uncharted, Lumines, Hot Shots, Golf, Super Stardust, and Mutant Blobs attack are all worth playing. There are games such as Resistance, Gravity Rush, Warriors Lair, Killzone, Sound Shapes, and Little Big Planet coming out this year as well plus games we do not know about.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#38 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

[QUOTE="Ghost120x"]I don't know what it is with Sony lately, their consoles launch bad but get better over time. This has been happening since the psp, although with the psp they were a little too late. With the ps3 they really turned it around and as the Xbox and wii are dwindling the ps3 still looks like it has some years left.gamenerd15

Sony has been this way since the first PlayStation. PS1 did not have a HUGE game until Final Fantasy 7. Twisted Metal and Crash were big, but the PlayStation brand did not become a household name until 97. PS2 had a rough first year. The launch was ok. A lot of games that came out in its first year were not super awesome. PS2 did not take off until after Metal Gear Solid 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, and Final Fantasy X came out. I do not know why people are expecting killer apps in 2 months of Vita's launch. No system has constant great titles at launch. Gravity Rush looks like it will be a killer app in terms of quality. Getting a great game within the first 4 months of a system's life cycle is pretty good news. Most systems take 8 months to a year to get great games. Sony should have had a few more games to help the months go by until E3, but what it did give us was better than how most systems start out. Uncharted, Lumines, Hot Shots, Golf, Super Stardust, and Mutant Blobs attack are all worth playing. There are games such as Resistance, Gravity Rush, Warriors Lair, Killzone, Sound Shapes, and Little Big Planet coming out this year as well plus games we do not know about.

You are a genius. Besides, the PS2's launch was rough because the PS1 outsold it; same with the PS Vita and the PSP.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 danish-death

[QUOTE="Ghost120x"]I don't know what it is with Sony lately, their consoles launch bad but get better over time. This has been happening since the psp, although with the psp they were a little too late. With the ps3 they really turned it around and as the Xbox and wii are dwindling the ps3 still looks like it has some years left.gamenerd15

Not only that, but collections such as MGS, ZoE and other ports such as FFX and the Oddworld games are coming for the PS Vita. We can also download 250+ PSP games off the PSN store, so anyone complaining about games in the future are just plain retarded or ignorant. The PSV will have tons of games in one year time.
flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts
Why is everyone pushing the panic button already? The Vita will be just fine down the road.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 danish-death
Why is everyone pushing the panic button already? The Vita will be just fine down the road. flowersjf
Same thing ad when the 3DS launched. A lot of people claimed it was dying out, until news of Mario and kid icarus
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gamenerd15

People claimed the PS3 would be dead and developers were abandoning the system in its first year on the market.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
There is a lot of wishful thinking and blind optimism in this thread. Not saying recovery for Vita is impossible but anyone who likens its situation to that of 3DS or PS3 doesn't understand the issue at all. Vita is selling way, way worse than 3DS was before the price drop, and this is with Vita selling at a loss and Nintendo at a profit. Sony has already played its two biggest first party cards in Uncharted and Hot Shots and neither moved Vitas. Former PSP centric franchises like Tekken, Metal Gear, and Monster Hunter are already on 3DS. When 3DS was floundering we KNEW games like Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon were inevitable. Sony has no such luck. Their biggest announced games are all multiplatform or ports (Phantasy Star Online 2, MGS HD, FFX HD, Persona 4, Hatsune Miku). That alone should tell you what little confidence third parties have in the system. At this point, what incentive is there to invest in exclusive Vita development? The system costs nearly as much as PS3 to make games for, its userbase is tiny, and it isn't selling. 3DS, PSP, DS, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, iOS, Android, Windows, PS3, and WiiU are all better options right now and that fact won't change just because we want it to. People tend to think it won't fail because we haven't seen it happen to a major player since Dreamcast, but what people don't realize is that Vita is barely ahead of where Dreamcast was at the same point. It isn't the same as with PS3 either since tons of developers were already heavily invested in the platform long before it began to struggle, and things at Sony were much different then. Remember, Sony was still trying to win the format war back then and the company as a whole was very profitable. Nowadays Sony is in huge financial trouble and they don't have nearly as much riding on Vita as they did PS3. At this point it comes down to E3 and TGS. If Vita doesn't get some true killer apps announced at those shows we can pretty much call it a day. If it doesn't start selling nobody will make games for it, and if nobody makes games for it nobody will buy it. They have a weak first party and limited time to right the ship. Nintendo realized this and acted quickly, but for Vita it coulf be too late.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#44 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="flowersjf"]Why is everyone pushing the panic button already? The Vita will be just fine down the road. danish-death
Same thing ad when the 3DS launched. A lot of people claimed it was dying out, until news of Mario and kid icarus

First wave will be everyone saying the system is a total failure and it will be dead in a year.

Second wave is a million complaints about every little thing that is wrong w/ and it and how it's a disaster and will be dead in a year.

Third wave is people getting excited about new games and playing them.

If the Vita is still doing poorly this time next year, I'll worry a little. Until then, I am waiting for something compelling enough that I finally buy the thing.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 danish-death

There is a lot of wishful thinking and blind optimism in this thread. Not saying recovery for Vita is impossible but anyone who likens its situation to that of 3DS or PS3 doesn't understand the issue at all. Vita is selling way, way worse than 3DS was before the price drop, and this is with Vita selling at a loss and Nintendo at a profit. Sony has already played its two biggest first party cards in Uncharted and Hot Shots and neither moved Vitas. Former PSP centric franchises like Tekken, Metal Gear, and Monster Hunter are already on 3DS. When 3DS was floundering we KNEW games like Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon were inevitable. Sony has no such luck. Their biggest announced games are all multiplatform or ports (Phantasy Star Online 2, MGS HD, FFX HD, Persona 4, Hatsune Miku). That alone should tell you what little confidence third parties have in the system. At this point, what incentive is there to invest in exclusive Vita development? The system costs nearly as much as PS3 to make games for, its userbase is tiny, and it isn't selling. 3DS, PSP, DS, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, iOS, Android, Windows, PS3, and WiiU are all better options right now and that fact won't change just because we want it to. People tend to think it won't fail because we haven't seen it happen to a major player since Dreamcast, but what people don't realize is that Vita is barely ahead of where Dreamcast was at the same point. It isn't the same as with PS3 either since tons of developers were already heavily invested in the platform long before it began to struggle, and things at Sony were much different then. Remember, Sony was still trying to win the format war back then and the company as a whole was very profitable. Nowadays Sony is in huge financial trouble and they don't have nearly as much riding on Vita as they did PS3. At this point it comes down to E3 and TGS. If Vita doesn't get some true killer apps announced at those shows we can pretty much call it a day. If it doesn't start selling nobody will make games for it, and if nobody makes games for it nobody will buy it. They have a weak first party and limited time to right the ship. Nintendo realized this and acted quickly, but for Vita it coulf be too late.famicommander

You really can't compare things like that. You're speaking of Uncharted as a system seller, something none of us knows anything about. It's a good franchise yes, but a system seller? Have you even considered that we've already seen 3 Uncharted games on the PS3 and the last which released not 6 months ago? The PSV version of Uncharted is a decent game, but it doesn't offer anything new, hell it doesn't even offer a proper multiplayer experience (something which would've been rather ideal considering how few competitiv MP games there are out now), so to call it a system seller or flagship is just weak.

In all honesty, I agree with you that Sony will have to give us a pretty damn good E3 full of PS Vita games, but there's nothing wrong with that because we can almost with certainty say they will. Why? Because they have currently announced the following games for the PS3 for 2013: The last of Us (It's a given really), LittleBig Planet: Karting, God of War: Ascension, Ni No Kuni and a final secret project (Battle Royal?) being announced this thursday. It's foolish to think that Sony have another 3-4 surprise games just waiting to be announced at E3. If anything they might have ONE games, but my guess is that don't, if at best we might get a release date for FF13V.

It's also a given that we won't be seeing the PS4/Orbis at this years E3 because that would just flat out kill the PSV and any news regarding it.

So I find it quite logical to assume they'll be focusing on the PS Vita, especially since it just released. The PSV is, opposed to the 3DS, in a completely different league that allows for better graphics and have two thumbsticks (or whatever they're called). Why is this important? Because it'll be much easier for companies such as EA and Activisions to make/port games such as Need for Speed, Dead Space, Battlefield, Call of Duty AND make the games look appealing to the masses. Activision might expand on the MW series and include a good (lol) competitiv MP component that'll cather to the casuals. They can and most likely will do this because it's possible with the possibilities are there with PSV - I will a turd if Activision doesn't come around.

And you speak about development cost as something you know anything about. Do you have a specific statement that claims that the average PSV game is just as expensive as the average PS3 games (a console which is infamous for being hard to develop for)?

It's funny because I've found a quote stating the direct opposite:

??we have created a much easier development environment than we have for previous platforms. That facilitates experimentation and combined with the opportunities digital distribution provides, such as removing the risk of having to commit to an inventory stock, we are able to lower the barrier of entry for developers and hopefully encourage them to experiment and take risks."

AND

"An extension to that is PlayStation Suite which, for me, is an initiative that runs in parallel to PS Vita. What we have there is a very low cost development environment and an opportunity to immediately access a broad and growing range of Android devices and the install base that comes with them, as well as the option to make your content compatible with PS Vita. In essence, PlayStation Suite is an extra route into delivering PS Vita content that will be available to a much larger pool of developers, and in a much more agile, quicker to market way.?

http://gamerant.com/vita-software-update-development-less-expensive-robk-134418/

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gamenerd15

There is a lot of wishful thinking and blind optimism in this thread. Not saying recovery for Vita is impossible but anyone who likens its situation to that of 3DS or PS3 doesn't understand the issue at all. Vita is selling way, way worse than 3DS was before the price drop, and this is with Vita selling at a loss and Nintendo at a profit. Sony has already played its two biggest first party cards in Uncharted and Hot Shots and neither moved Vitas. Former PSP centric franchises like Tekken, Metal Gear, and Monster Hunter are already on 3DS. When 3DS was floundering we KNEW games like Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon were inevitable. Sony has no such luck. Their biggest announced games are all multiplatform or ports (Phantasy Star Online 2, MGS HD, FFX HD, Persona 4, Hatsune Miku). That alone should tell you what little confidence third parties have in the system. At this point, what incentive is there to invest in exclusive Vita development? The system costs nearly as much as PS3 to make games for, its userbase is tiny, and it isn't selling. 3DS, PSP, DS, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, iOS, Android, Windows, PS3, and WiiU are all better options right now and that fact won't change just because we want it to. People tend to think it won't fail because we haven't seen it happen to a major player since Dreamcast, but what people don't realize is that Vita is barely ahead of where Dreamcast was at the same point. It isn't the same as with PS3 either since tons of developers were already heavily invested in the platform long before it began to struggle, and things at Sony were much different then. Remember, Sony was still trying to win the format war back then and the company as a whole was very profitable. Nowadays Sony is in huge financial trouble and they don't have nearly as much riding on Vita as they did PS3. At this point it comes down to E3 and TGS. If Vita doesn't get some true killer apps announced at those shows we can pretty much call it a day. If it doesn't start selling nobody will make games for it, and if nobody makes games for it nobody will buy it. They have a weak first party and limited time to right the ship. Nintendo realized this and acted quickly, but for Vita it coulf be too late.famicommander

The Dreamcast failed because of internal development issues at Sega. The Dreamcast also failed because of the anticipation of the PS2. The Vita is failing in Japan. As far as Europe and NA go, the 3DS is outselling 2 to 1 right now. It is funny how all the negative Vita news is centered around Japan. No one ever reports how poorly Vita is doing in any other territory. The Vita faces challenges yes, but it is nowhere as bad as you paint it. Of course Sony is not going to talk about killer apps for Vita now. That would be dumb when E3 is around the corner. The PS3 was is the same boat when it came out. It only sold like 4 million units its first year. There is already games announced for it that are coming next year, so your theory kind of goes out the window.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 danish-death

Meh.. Gamespot decidede to mess with my post. It's missing the lower part of it and other stuff. The gramma mistakes are my own though lol. At any rate, your post brings a lot of doom and gloom and while I do agree with you (concerning E3) I'm much more optimistic because it's not unreasonable to be so all things considered.

*edit* and you seem to think that Sony relies on old franchises. It's funny becase LBP, Resistance and Uncharted (a system seller according to you) are all new from this gen and all doing well.

WHY shouldn't Sony be able to do the same thing with the PS Vita? Soul Sacrifice looks quite interesting to me and it might just be what we're waiting for. Gravity Rush also looks good.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I kinda hope they release a newer model by next year with 1gig of ram instead of 512mb.

But I kinda doubt it since that is a huge jump, but the PSP Slim did that but it's not like it was taken advantage of expect a few firmware updates. Maybe it would help games play at 60fps while older models play at 30fps.

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
It's only been out for a few months so its absolutely ridiculous to foresee the death of the console a few month in. I do believe the 3ds was being heavily disregarded when it first launched too but after Nintendo dropped the price and released Mario for the system everything was fine. Just wait until e3 in June and there is sure to be a few AAA titles on the way for the vita soon.Even if the system doesn't sell as well as the 3ds it will still holds its own as being the most powerful gaming hardware out there in existence today and likely will hold that crown for a good few years (relative to resolutions ect)
teacher4tc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 teacher4tc
Member since 2008 • 345 Posts
I was in GameStop today asked them and they said vita was about to have another price drop with carrying case and like a starter pack ? Again this is not fact it's here say, however I have been dealing the manager of the store for a while and typically if he says it, it happens. Now he did say that sales have dropped almost down to zero. But again this did Just come out , things take time.