Is it morally wrong to... [NOW WITH POLL]

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-622466a483e10
deactivated-622466a483e10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-622466a483e10
Member since 2003 • 659 Posts

So I purchased a game at gamestop. It was a used copy and I got 10 days to play it and return it if I didn't like it. Is it morally wrong to platinum it during these days and then return it even if I liked it? Returning it will most likely give me credit at gamestop, so they will get my money when I get a new game.

What do you think?

EDIT: I have made it to a poll since many disagree.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I don't see how it's wrong to take advantage of a policy. I'm sure many people buy used games from Gamestop, play it non-stop for the alloted amount of days, and then return it. It might feel wrong, but if you're abiding to the policy then I don't see anything wrong with it.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
If it were morally wrong, the entity you would be wronging is only GameStop, since by buying the game used, you already cut the developer out of any profits. So basically, you're wronging the party that is wronging the developer (whom you also wronged). That seems like a lot of wrongs and it probably cancels everything out. But I do recommend you buy the game new when it comes down in price to a point you're willing to pay for, and keep that in your collection just in case you ever want to replay or show off to your grandkids.
dimis_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dimis_
Member since 2008 • 413 Posts

Morally it is wrong since you are deriving something without giving something back, but it is not black and white. Game retailers rip us off non-stop when they giveus very little money for trade-ins and then go on to sellthem at a much higher price. They don'tdeserve your sympathy!

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

Morally it is wrong since you are deriving something without giving something back, but it is not black and white. Game retailers rip us off non-stop when they giveus very little money for trade-ins and then go on to sellthem at a much higher price. They don'tdeserve your sympathy!

dimis_
Well, that's not the best of reasoning. After all, if you shoot down a serial killer, you're still going to jail. And you should.
kussese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 kussese
Member since 2008 • 1555 Posts

So I purchased a game at gamestop. It was a used copy and I got 10 days to play it and return it if I didn't like it. Is it morally wrong to platinum it during these days and then return it even if I liked it? Returning it will most likely give me credit at gamestop, so they will get my money when I get a new game.

Shat do you think?

Kloney

I'm pretty sure the return policy on games you don't like is a week. On moral grounds, though, I say it's alright. It's not like it's costing them anything to lend it to you for a week when they're going to sell it the next anyway.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
The policy is you have 10 days to return it for whatever reason. They won't quiz you on whether you liked it or not and they won't deny you the return if you did in fact like it. Besides, used games are 100% profit for them as the game cost was paid for the first time they sold it.
atc-fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 atc-fanatic
Member since 2009 • 973 Posts

thats not immoral!! gamespot is immoral i bought a new game once the claim it was new but i know the game was used.gamespot are scams mostly with missinformed fanboys for employees.

atc-fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 atc-fanatic

thats not immoral!! gamespot is immoral i bought a new game once the claim it was new but i know the game was used.gamespot are scams mostly with missinformed fanboys for employees.

atc-fanatic

ooops i meant gamestop.

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
Against Gamestop? No.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
Yeah, it's morally wrong. The policy is put in place to protect people from broken used games (the game maybe plays for an hour and then won't load anymore) and to provide a way out if you don't like the game. You would clearly be liking the game but abusing a goodwill policy. While it's certainly not illegal, it's crap like this that gets these policies changed. Then when one day you buy a lemon of a used game, you're stuck with it.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 emitsu97
[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]Yeah, it's morally wrong. The policy is put in place to protect people from broken used games (the game maybe plays for an hour and then won't load anymore) and to provide a way out if you don't like the game. You would clearly be liking the game but abusing a goodwill policy. While it's certainly not illegal, it's crap like this that gets these policies changed. Then when one day you buy a lemon of a used game, you're stuck with it.

Did you just use the word "goodwill" with regards to Gamestop ?! :lol:
atc-fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 atc-fanatic

Yeah, it's morally wrong. The policy is put in place to protect people from broken used games (the game maybe plays for an hour and then won't load anymore) and to provide a way out if you don't like the game. You would clearly be liking the game but abusing a goodwill policy. While it's certainly not illegal, it's crap like this that gets these policies changed. Then when one day you buy a lemon of a used game, you're stuck with it.LongZhiZi
gamestop has no goodwill!! they just got sued last year for selling a ps3 claimed new. but when the person got home there was game data on the harddrive. and they sold me a used game once claiming it was new but it wasnt i had writing in my manual in the note liner from a previous owner. and since gamestop removes all new games from case. youll never know what youre gettin deceptive thives.

FashionFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FashionFreak
Member since 2004 • 2326 Posts

Gamestop never sells anything new.

That should be obvious from all the broken seals!

If you want a new game, go to Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Amazon, anywhere but Gamestop.

BlackhawkBix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 BlackhawkBix
Member since 2009 • 258 Posts

Dude I would do the exact same thing. I need to see if my Gamespot has that returnpolicy :lol:

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I think it's the same as stealing. You shouldn't do it. Basides, to do it would ruin it for everyone else because if you do it often enough, GameStop would most likely eliminate the policy to prevent anyone from doing the same thing. But then that wouldn't be fair to the people who actually don't like the game.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Gamestop lets their employees take games home and play them, then they sell them as new. So no, I would feel absolutely no qualms about being dishonest to a dishonest company.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
How do you know that?^
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

What do you think?

EDIT: I have made it to a poll since many disagree.

Kloney

Personally, I disagree with this practice. But the fact is, their policies is pretty much asking for it so there is no actual "moral" concern.

jands42107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jands42107
Member since 2010 • 168 Posts

I voted yes because you said "Even if I liked it".

Lying is morally wrong.

BUT if you are honest and just say "I dont want it" that is another story (I have done this and they had no problem).

jands42107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jands42107
Member since 2010 • 168 Posts

Gamestop lets their employees take games home and play them, then they sell them as new. So no, I would feel absolutely no qualms about being dishonest to a dishonest company.

Jackc8

So they must have a shrinkwrapping machine in the back too that does the corner folds just like factory???

I would guess they get to take home USED games and play them.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 emitsu97

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

jands42107

So they must have a shrinkwrapping machine in the back too that does the corner folds just like factory???

The last several games I purchased from them were sold as new, using the empty box off the shelf. No shrink wrap.
TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
No, its not wrong. They have a flawed system, and , quite frankly, they deserve the abuse. This is how I rent games for free! They all know I do it. Some have actually mustered up the balls to say something to me about it, and I kindly respond with faux denial and remind them of their policy. Just pretend that you are Robin Hood or John Lennon or somebody sticking it to the man! ;)
Avatar image for lovetheblindone
lovetheblindone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lovetheblindone
Member since 2005 • 1733 Posts

If you've opened it and played it, then, yes it is wrong.

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheEldestGod
[QUOTE="jands42107"]

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

Um, the only time you're going to find a shrinkwrapped game at Gamestop is if you get it from the glass case behind the counter. However, I'm pretty sure they take home used games.
ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I don't think its morally wrong since that's a store policy. I wish we had a similar policy here in Mexico even if it was only for used games.
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
Yes. You'll have to go to confession if you do it.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
if you get the game INTENDING to return it, then YES. if you get it then find out you dont like it, then NO
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#29 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts
Not at all
Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
When Gamestop says you can return it for ANY reason, then it's NOT morally wrong. They could care less why your returning it so long as it's still in good shape. As another poster pointed out, used games are 100% profit for Gamestop. They lowball you when you sell them a used game, then mark the price up for sale and pocket 100% of the difference. This is not like new games where they have distributer costs, etc. That is why their new game return policy is basically only on defect. You would have to lie then, which would be morally wrong. Another reason Gamestop doesn't care why you return a used game is because a lot of people will keep them. I have personally kept most of the used games I have bought from them. I have also returned games and never had them give me any trouble. Bottom line: no it's not morally wrong. It's their policy...return for ANY reason.
TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheEldestGod
if you get the game INTENDING to return it, then YES. if you get it then find out you dont like it, then NOstarwarsjunky
Well, the policy clearly states that I can return it for any reason. So, if my reason was "because I never intended to keep it in the first place" doesn't it still fall under the policy clearly printed on the back of my reciept? Yup. It sure does. :P
mythochondria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mythochondria
Member since 2009 • 160 Posts

No it's not. Do you think they don't know people can actually return it after playing it to platinum? They do know, and they don't care. Fact is that they want to promote this thing, I have a friend working at gamestop and told me they get lot of profit from used games rather than new ones and most of their annual profit is made from used games.

newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

GS is a bunch of godless heathens! they tried to give me $2.25 for a trade in on a ps3 game (and thats with 50% extra trade in value!) i dont think burning the store down would even be morally wrong. those guys are shysters just tryin to make a buck. stick it to em any which way you can.

buying used is bad enough as is. youre already cutting out the devs and just lining these usually misinformed fanboys pockets. im guilty of buying used when they have the buy 2 get one free though. the only other time i might give them my money is if there is a nice pre order bonus with a game. other than that, i would rather give my money to somebody who doesnt have an opinion about what im buyin, and then proceed to try n shake me down for five bucks towards any game coming out in the next cpl months.

oh, and i love how they always act if you dont pre order a game with them that its going to be sold out everywhere and your never going to get to play it.

MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

i dont see a problem with it you got what you wanted out of the game.

jbuckley15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jbuckley15
Member since 2007 • 294 Posts

GameStop's 50% back on all trade-ins deal last month was bs. Dragon-Age was on their shelf used for 55 bucks but trade in credit was 16 bucks and the promo brought it to 26 bucks. I trade in regularly and know that newer games that they charge almost full price for usually trades in for 25 bucks anyways, so it wasnt a promo. They just lowered trade in prices and called it a promo. Was that morally wrong of them? No, thats business mate! Take what you can, give nothing back.

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

I'd say that it's okay if you think it's okay.

M_1_A_M_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 M_1_A_M_I
Member since 2010 • 938 Posts
Nope they gave you the option to return it knowing you could just return it after you beat it or got tired of it.
SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

No way. Gamestop buys games from you for 10 bucks and turns around and sells em for 40...

You're taking advantage of their policy, which is again, POLICY.

M_1_A_M_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 M_1_A_M_I
Member since 2010 • 938 Posts
No, its not wrong. They have a flawed system, and , quite frankly, they deserve the abuse. This is how I rent games for free! They all know I do it. Some have actually mustered up the balls to say something to me about it, and I kindly respond with faux denial and remind them of their policy. Just pretend that you are Robin Hood or John Lennon or somebody sticking it to the man! ;)TheEldestGod
Lol, that's a good idea!
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
Well then, that depends on your morals, doesn't it? Developers don't get a single penny out of you doing that. Feeding EB Games and GameStops is slowly killing the industry in my opinion. Piracy and re-buying used games are the main reasons why devs are flocking to digital distribution: a road I really don't want to go down in the future. But if you look on the short-term of things, then sure - it's not wrong at all.
killzone54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 killzone54
Member since 2008 • 122 Posts

No it's not wrong in my opinion. And you can get your cash back from your return and not their store credit. Pay in cash, the return will be in cash, so technically, they won't make a dime off of you if you do that.

justhat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 justhat1
Member since 2009 • 458 Posts

since they screw us when they get a chance , no it's not wrong.

ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
Call it, a balancer, for all the times said business will try to cheat you.
LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts

Against Gamestop? No.GrandJury
Lol. I was thiking the same thing. The difference in price they offer for used games then sell them for is wrong. >_>

wintermute0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wintermute0
Member since 2010 • 302 Posts
Considering that they sell you games without the packaging and rip you off in general, leech as much money as you can from them... not only is it moral, it's the only right thing to do.
Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
I honestly don't see how morals play any role in returning a game.
zael99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 zael99
Member since 2005 • 369 Posts
Nope exploit the system.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

It's their return policy, they allow you to return it for any reason. They are probably well aware that people do this and don't care.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Morally wrong?

No of course not. :lol:

Besides, what credit? Gamestop gives you like 5 dollars for a used game.

randonw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 randonw
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts

I would say it is "ethically" wrong but definitely not illegal.