Is Dragon Age Inquisition difficult for newcomers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bqefhpasdgpihw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bqefhpasdgpihw
Member since 2006 • 205 Posts

I've never played any games of this series. Also, how is the overall difficulty of the game? Are there many save points? Thanks.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It's not a particularly difficult game, no. Indeed, I'm not a "Dragon Age Connoisseur" either, but beat it on Hard with almost no "oh man I'm totally in over my head" moments. I didn't cream all the dragons (optional side missions) - they are legitimately hard and I only invested the time to go after a few. They can give you a run for your money.

It has a complex combat system, where you can pause and do strategic maneuvers and such for your party... yet it's almost pointless. Because they made combat straightforward enough that typically that more complex way to manage things is simply not needed. Run a diverse party, so you have someone to heal, someone to absorb hits, someone to sneak around/range, and a mage, and you'll do fine.

Chances are, if you find yourself having real difficulty with an area - and it's not a skill issue but your characters just do no damage and die ridiculously quickly... it's just too high for your level. If you go somewhere else and work on some other quests and then come back the problem will resolve itself.

I'd start on normal, and see how it feels with your level of experience with these things. I wouldn't be surprised if you ratchet it up to hard if you've played other RPGs in the past.

As far as save points - I can't recall how often they auto-save. I think every time you change zones at least. It has manual saves as well, of course. So I'd just save whenever you've accomplished something of note or been playing for a long time.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@bqefhpasdgpihw: i think you should be good, even on easy you can beat pretty much anything very easy. The only real challenge you have are the dragons. Which even on easy would be hard to take down

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

I hadn't played any of the Dragon Age games before Inquisition, and I found it easy to pick up, yet really fun and worth a play through. I would highly recommend it

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Not overly difficult, put the game on easy and play. You can save the game anytime.

bqefhpasdgpihw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bqefhpasdgpihw

Excellent, glad to hear that! :)

bqefhpasdgpihw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bqefhpasdgpihw

By the way, should I get the standard edition or deluxe? I don't care about soundtracks etc, but if there's any real difference in the game itself, I might consider buying deluxe if it's worth it. Thanks!