If you own a PS2, PS3 or PSP, you are killing children.

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Egyptman786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Egyptman786
Member since 2008 • 1152 Posts

According to a report by activist siteToward Freedom, for the past decade the search for a rare metal necessary in the manufacturing of Sony's Playstation 2 game console has fueled a brutal conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Allegedly, the demand for coltan prompted Rwandan military groups and western mining companies to plunder hundreds of millions of dollars worth of the rare metal, often by forcing prisoners-of-war and even children to work in the country's coltan mines.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/playstation-2-component-incites-african-war/1231745

benz1980i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 benz1980i
Member since 2007 • 285 Posts

No comment

metocman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 metocman1
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts
Old news, its a ****ed up story though thankfully they arent putting that stuff in there products anymore. Also the article didnt say anything about Sony putting that stuff in PS3s.
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
so if i were happen to buy a ps3, ps2, AND psp 2marro......would that make me a bad person :twisted:
NitRaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NitRaTe
Member since 2003 • 453 Posts
On a more positive note, the article states that "Sony has since sworn off using tantalum acquired from the Congo, claiming that current builds of the PS2, PSP and PS3 consoles are sourced from a variety of mines in several different countries."
Limality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Limality
Member since 2005 • 78 Posts

let's ask ourselves how many children have we killed by posting in this forum? How many children have we killed by driving cars? how many children have we killed by buying clothes?

just my two cents...

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts
yea blame sony for that while some country invades and kills thousands of innocents for fuel
Steve_ps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Steve_ps
Member since 2008 • 255 Posts
Sony don't get their resources from Congo, they interviewed one of the Sony Execs and he said that the people who supply it to them have assured them they don't mine in Congo and Sony trusts them, thats what I heard (and I didn't bother reading the article so sorry if its in there)
SamGv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SamGv
Member since 2007 • 1102 Posts
99.99% of electronics in America uses the same stuff, PCs, Phones, Video game consoles, TVs. I should know, I work in a electronic warehouse.
choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts
gah this is the 3rd time this has been posted today...

I said it before and ill say it again -- the article refers to all consumer electronics goods buts points the finger at SONY for the PS2...
Egyptman786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Egyptman786

gah this is the 3rd time this has been posted today...

I said it before and ill say it again -- the article refers to all consumer electronics goods buts points the finger at SONY for the PS2...
choasgod

ok ok ok, dont cry, sheesh

loggerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 loggerz
Member since 2007 • 577 Posts
Wow posting old news is so much fun isn't it :D.
wilmepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wilmepe
Member since 2005 • 173 Posts
That's why I don't live in the Congo.
Egyptman786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Egyptman786

Wow posting old news is so much fun isn't it :D.loggerz

no its not, but what is fun is going out with friends and having a life and not knowing this was posted earlier today because I am not on these forums 24/7. So, Sorry...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 8493
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
yes and your point is ? lmao
DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts
I own all 3! Hey it's their government's fault for letting crisis like this happen.
Egyptman786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Egyptman786

I own all 3! Hey it's their government's fault for letting crisis like this happen.DJCUEBALL

lol

king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts
I own all three.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
Funny considering the greenpeace result showed sony as the most enviromental friendly of the big 3, with microsoft getting the lowest rating including even child labour for cheap base materials
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

The same people who dismiss this story are the same people who would be bringing this up on the forefront if it read Xbox instead of PS2. I didn't realize it was old news as well. I heard of similar news regarding the environmental aspect, but not about this. How easy it is to make lite of a situation. And yea, the Sony execs will tell you anything you want to hear. Just because they say it, doesn't mean it's true.

gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts

im gonna go and buy 3000000 ps2s now and become the next batman villan hahahahahahahahahahahah muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

muhahahahahahahahahahah

d_ano

Sounds like a plan, i'll do the same, only i'll replace PS2's with chocolate taken straight from the Ivory Coast, you know, where the the majority of the world's cocoa supply comes from? Rimes with slavery and child labour...? Surely you've heard of it... Oh right, Its shafted by the hefty amount of rare metals Sony used at one point, its a kown fact that there are more PS2's in the world then chocolate right...?

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts
Funny considering the greenpeace result showed sony as the most enviromental friendly of the big 3, with microsoft getting the lowest rating including even child labour for cheap base materialshot114
and while article says that material is used in everything, they only blame sony, go figure...
gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts

[QUOTE="hot114"]Funny considering the greenpeace result showed sony as the most enviromental friendly of the big 3, with microsoft getting the lowest rating including even child labour for cheap base materialsTheLegendKnight
and while article says that material is used in everything, they only blame sony, go figure...

Indeed, i think its clear that the 'journalist' who wrote that based the whole thing against Sony due to the PS2 being used as an example by the guy he questioned...

anewperfectday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 anewperfectday
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts
Repost.
Amaranthix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Amaranthix
Member since 2006 • 202 Posts

According to a report by activist siteToward Freedom, for the past decade the search for a rare metal necessary in the manufacturing of Sony's Playstation 2 game console has fueled a brutal conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Allegedly, the demand for coltan prompted Rwandan military groups and western mining companies to plunder hundreds of millions of dollars worth of the rare metal, often by forcing prisoners-of-war and even children to work in the country's coltan mines.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/playstation-2-component-incites-african-war/1231745

Egyptman786

What's one more brutal conflict in the Congo? This place is hell on earth, not buying a PS(insert suffix here) isn't going to change that.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
Really don't care...
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

let's ask ourselves how many children have we killed by posting in this forum? How many children have we killed by driving cars? how many children have we killed by buying clothes?

just my two cents...

Limality

Exactly, people die everyday from the choices we make. If I drive a car that somebody died making, that won't make me wrong.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
I must be such a terrible person. :?
Hanabie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Hanabie
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts

I thought you were killing children because you own 3 systems. and your kids are like playing them everyday. they hate sports and they hate playing with friends.

similar issue happens to my nephew =/

he owns everything.. from ps2,psp,ds,gc,xbox,wii, ps3, and x360.

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
I own all three lol :P.
f0361c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 f0361c
Member since 2005 • 227 Posts

I like how the "news" talk about SONY but fail to say that that material is used by ALL COMPUTERS and CELL PHONES so, why talk ONLY about SONY and exclude NOKIA, APPLE, DELL, HP, etc, etc????

This is SONY HATE to new levels.

F.

error11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 error11
Member since 2006 • 7163 Posts
I don't care.
henry4th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 henry4th
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

Egyptman786

The fault lies not within the consumer (in this case, sony), but the mining companies.

Chocolate is one of the ****c example of this. To get Chocoloate, companies used to get them from Africa through much wrong doings, but is the fault of the cusumers who eat the chocolate?

If the fault does indeed falls on the consumer, then we can safely say the following: Since we are all using electricity, do you know that the more we use to post such useless comment on internet, and the more power we consume. And most of the power we use are unrenewable, and we polute the earth a whole lot more, so we are also killing children of the future, isn't that the case?

Egyptman786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Egyptman786

I don't care.error11

not a lot of people do

karnis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 karnis
Member since 2004 • 1825 Posts
whatever sure its bad but come on man i'm to nice for this but i'm not killing people your logic sucks. & for one gilting us about it won't change that & your insulting like every ps2,ps3 & psp owner
LegendaryFox77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LegendaryFox77
Member since 2007 • 1196 Posts

China sends us lead poisoning toys for 3 year olds to play.

They also sends us poison dog and cat food that kills our pets too but you complain about something we have no control over.

They supply it, I buy it. Blame the supplier not the buyer.

choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 choffy
Member since 2005 • 1881 Posts

so if i were happen to buy a ps3, ps2, AND psp 2marro......would that make me a bad person :twisted:ReaperV7

Yeah. You'd go straight to hell. No stop's between. Just BAM! You're there

This is really sad. Why can't the U.S. ever step in a situation that we're not dragged into. We were forced into Iraq (in my opinion) and both World War's. But we can't send help to Africa can we?

Timmeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Timmeus
Member since 2007 • 1136 Posts

[QUOTE="ReaperV7"]so if i were happen to buy a ps3, ps2, AND psp 2marro......would that make me a bad person :twisted:choffy

Yeah. You'd go straight to hell. No stop's between. Just BAM! You're there

This is really sad. Why can't the U.S. ever step in a situation that we're not dragged into. We were forced into Iraq (in my opinion) and both World War's. But we can't send help to Africa can we?

The only time the USA steps in is when their economic control is threatened.

Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
It's used in a lot of electronics. /thread
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
It's sad, but you cant blame Sony.
comissario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 comissario
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts

Egyptman786

why are you blaming us? go take your argument to sony. we bought PSP'S, PS2'S AND PS3'S to entertain ourselves not to kill children. and i don't belive it has fueled the conflict like the article said, but it has just aggravated it. i mean i didn't even know what coltan is until this articel came out

Strife037

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Strife037
Member since 2007 • 647 Posts
ha my ps2/psp/ps3 can pwn more children than urs!
AsianPootang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AsianPootang
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Good. I hate kids. Plus, we need new ways to go about population control! But seriously though. I'm sure many other products use the same stuff. But let's look at a bigger picture here. Did you drive anywhere today? Guess what, you just killed a few civilians do to the fact that Bush feels the need to invade others for their oil because he just wants his wallet to get a little fatter. Not to mention the fact that you contribute to global warming which is killing more than a few kids. Oh, and what about the clothes you're wearing? I'm sure they're made in over seas sweat shops where kids are being forced to work 12 hour shifts for pennies, dying in the process by being overworked. Oh and the same goes for your shoes and basically anything else you own. And I take it that you don't do anything to help kids around the world. Am I right? Do you ever contribute to food drives? Clothing donations? Didn't think so. All you do is sit at your computer, drive from point a to point b, and buy products that contribute to the problem that you're trying to blame on everyone else. YOU are the enabler here. So my advise is that maybe you should clean up your act first before you complain about others. And no, I'm not perfect either. But I am able to admit this and not blame others, knowing that I'm just as bad.

Strife037

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Strife037
Member since 2007 • 647 Posts

Good. I hate kids. Plus, we need new ways to go about population control! But seriously though. I'm sure many other products use the same stuff. But let's look at a bigger picture here. Did you drive anywhere today? Guess what, you just killed a few civilians do to the fact that Bush feels the need to invade others for their oil because he just wants his wallet to get a little fatter. Not to mention the fact that you contribute to global warming which is killing more than a few kids. Oh, and what about the clothes you're wearing? I'm sure they're made in over seas sweat shops where kids are being forced to work 12 hour shifts for pennies, dying in the process by being overworked. Oh and the same goes for your shoes and basically anything else you own. And I take it that you don't do anything to help kids around the world. Am I right? Do you ever contribute to food drives? Clothing donations? Didn't think so. All you do is sit at your computer, drive from point a to point b, and buy products that contribute to the problem that you're trying to blame on everyone else. YOU are the enabler here. So my advise is that maybe you should clean up your act first before you complain about others. And no, I'm not perfect either. But I am able to admit this and not blame others, knowing that I'm just as bad.

AsianPootang

1-800-STFU, give em a call im sure u can read ur wall of vent to them...

Dante865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dante865
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts
Playing MGS4 or saving a kids life... ahh well im an ass anyway, now im a bigger ass!
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts

Egyptman786

Killing kids with my Playstation? It's about time! lil bastids!