How do you guys feel about PS3 finally getting hacked?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kismetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Kismetic
Member since 2010 • 118 Posts

I hear this new hack involving the PS3 key makes it unnecessary to need or even use the jailbreak usb.

Arthas017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 Arthas017
Member since 2010 • 295 Posts

Anybody remember the PS2?

I don't get why everybody talks about the PS3 being hacked as something that bad, I mean, it is bad but nothing we haven't seen before. This could mean a hardware sales increase for Sony, as for the software, it's gonna have some impact but if you look at the other 2 competitors they're doing just fine so... why is it that the PS3 is more vulnerable than its predecessor and competitors? If you watch the video in Youtube you'll see that the hackers themselves say that it took the same as the other consoles to be hacked, it's just that since it had the Other OS feature, they weren't that much into it, but as soon as it got removed they started putting some energy in it.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
What does this mean for trophies? That's one thing that would get abused.MushroomWig
Yeah, that's the one thing I think they can really mess up. Since trophies are unlocked from within the game I'm sure they can find a way to make the trophies unlock automatically. The only thing is that Sony will be able to look and see all those trophies unlocked at once and drop the ban hammer. That's what happened to some people who exploited the MW2 trophy hack.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="Ninja_Zombie83"][QUOTE="feryl06"]Right...... yea, cause they raise prices just because of piracy.... I'm pretty sure it's more for profit and they feed you that piracy line.... [QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

Okay then, imagine you're a customer shopping at a store. You shop there because you like their products. One day you go in to buy whatever you usually buy and the price is 10% higher than the last time you bought it. You complain to the manager and he tells you, "I'm sorry but we raised the price to compensate for recent thefts.''.

Nobody stole from you but you will be affected one way or another.

Its simple economics and anyone who has worked retail knows how theft trickles down.

I still don't see what you guys are talking about. Piracy has been a big deal for years and the prices have remained the same for all software since these consoles launched. So, obviously, this isn't going to happen. If it does then I would lean more towards feryl's way of thinking. It'll just be an excuse to jack prices for even more profit than they are actually losing.
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
It won't impact me. I will continue to pay for my games and support great game developers. I am not risking losing my PSN or breaking my PS3 with some unlicensed 3rd party crap.
Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#56 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

Sony's problem not mine.

nickz_fpk

Can you guys give a single example of this? When has the cost of software gone up due to piracy? Everything else is hacked and pirated and they are all selling for the exact same they were five years ago....

Piracy has been a big deal for years and the prices have remained the same for all software since these consoles launched. So, obviously, this isn't going to happen.

MrSelf-Destruct

Whateves.

It's not that big of a deal and it won't affect sales. Case in point, the Wii. >_>

supa_badman

Go ahead and shrug it off if you want. You might think console piracy doesn't matter, but it'll hit you in the pocket eventually and it affects the industry in ways you arn't even thinking about.

Lets see how other consoles are affected:

In the PC world...

"In response to the prevalence of piracy, some developers have sought to put increasingly stringent copy protection on their games. Typically, this results in a massive outcry from gamers, as more often than not the copy protection ends up having serious hardware conflicts for legitimate users."

In the Nintendo DS world...

"Although piracy on the Nintendo DS is not a huge problem in the US, it has become rampant in parts of Asia and is even causing a significant decline in software sales in Europe...

In the Xbox world...

"As an aside, PIRACY IS A LEGITIMATE CONCERN for Microsoft and other content producers. Microsoft has chosen to use one of the most indiscriminate "weapons" in its arsenal in an effort to combat piracy (banning) -- as a result, use of this "weapon" has resulted in a great deal of collateral damage -- many people were affected who had nothing to do with piracy. Furthermore, Xbox console functions that have nothing to do with piracy were also affected or disabled."

WHY THIS MATTERS?

"Company's get their revenues from the sales of the product which will cover the costs but if the pirates take it, where would they get the salaries for the production staff? Where do they get the money to advertise their products? Where would they get the money to even create the product?

With lower revenues, they resort to different ways in saving money for the company. They cut costs by lowering the quality of their product. They get fewer people for production and lay off regular employees. A lot of people lose jobs and the worst case scenario is what if they stop making them because they won't get what they deserve anyway?"

Saying "I don't care" or implying "this won't affect me" is sad to hear. This isn't all about money, this is about content and quality too and I would think that something like that would be of intrest to gamerslike yourselves.

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

I think that Sony has done a great job being this far in the PS3's life cycle compared to other consoles for not being completely hacked to the point that its almost no possible way to counter. Tho these hackers finally did it up, i still think Sony will eventually find the way to counter this recent event.

I could hurt a bit of sales, but honestly i don't think it will be by that much because if you think about it, how many users will actually have their PS3 hacked? how many are even tech savy? i bet you that it will only be small percentage of PS3 owners that will have their PS3 hacked for homebrew use.

This could hurt a little bit, but honestly this won't hurt Sony to the point that they will be bankrupt or any silly nonsense some are blindly pointing out. Sony made the system, they'll know what to do.

my $.02

SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

If it's not going to affect my PS3 gaming experience, then pish posh.

volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

It doesn't bother me one bit. I rarely play online anymore, no time for it, so hacks won't affect me. As for piracy, I won't be taking 'advantage' of such an exploit. I've no problem paying retail. I can see why those who are genuinely broke (or just plain cheapskates) are looking forward to it though. If any apps seem worthwhile I may give them a go but if there's a chance of them bricking my system or receiving a perma-ban from Sony then forget it.

rschauby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 rschauby
Member since 2010 • 101 Posts
Sony's response to this will determine how I feel about the PS3 being hacked. If Sony decides to go on the offensive and shove security-only firmware updates down my machine's throat then I'm going to be forced to support whoever is willing to develop the platform. If Sony wants to devote all their resources to locking down the PS3 and abandon improving it, then I have no moral qualms about what I do with my hardware. In the unlikely event that Sony decides to accept the inevitable and combat it with continued improvements and benefits for staying legit, then I'd be more than willing to keep my support with them. As a previous owner of a PSP I know exactly what to expect out of Sony.
Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts
More PS3's sold probably. To be quite honest, if it was hacked day 1, I would've hacked mine, but I have a ps3 library of 45+ games, I'll just continue buying :S
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="nickz_fpk"]
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]

Can you guys give a single example of this? When has the cost of software gone up due to piracy? Everything else is hacked and pirated and they are all selling for the exact same they were five years ago....

Piracy has been a big deal for years and the prices have remained the same for all software since these consoles launched. So, obviously, this isn't going to happen.

Ninja_Zombie83

Whateves.

It's not that big of a deal and it won't affect sales. Case in point, the Wii. >_>

supa_badman

Go ahead and shrug it off if you want. You might think console piracy doesn't matter, but it'll hit you in the pocket eventually and it affects the industry in ways you arn't even thinking about.

Lets see how other consoles are affected:

In the PC world...

"In response to the prevalence of piracy, some developers have sought to put increasingly stringent copy protection on their games. Typically, this results in a massive outcry from gamers, as more often than not the copy protection ends up having serious hardware conflicts for legitimate users."

In the Nintendo DS world...

"Although piracy on the Nintendo DS is not a huge problem in the US, it has become rampant in parts of Asia and is even causing a significant decline in software sales in Europe...

In the Xbox world...

"As an aside, PIRACY IS A LEGITIMATE CONCERN for Microsoft and other content producers. Microsoft has chosen to use one of the most indiscriminate "weapons" in its arsenal in an effort to combat piracy (banning) -- as a result, use of this "weapon" has resulted in a great deal of collateral damage -- many people were affected who had nothing to do with piracy. Furthermore, Xbox console functions that have nothing to do with piracy were also affected or disabled."

WHY THIS MATTERS?

"Company's get their revenues from the sales of the product which will cover the costs but if the pirates take it, where would they get the salaries for the production staff? Where do they get the money to advertise their products? Where would they get the money to even create the product?

With lower revenues, they resort to different ways in saving money for the company. They cut costs by lowering the quality of their product. They get fewer people for production and lay off regular employees. A lot of people lose jobs and the worst case scenario is what if they stop making them because they won't get what they deserve anyway?"

Saying "I don't care" or implying "this won't affect me" is sad to hear. This isn't all about money, this is about content and quality too and I would think that something like that would be of intrest to gamerslike yourselves.

I honestly can't believe you went through all that trouble and couldn't even prove your point. The claim was that the cost of games would rise. It hasn't. That's all I was saying. You also mention here that the quality of games will decrease yet I've been playing some pretty awesome games despite piracy. Shovelware and crap games have always existed and always will. Piracy has nothing to do with that. The only thing I agree with is the ridiculous amounts of DRM being applied to PC games. You can't blame those guys for trying. They still think that they will eventually find the winning formula, but its just too easy to hack PC software.

king_of_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 king_of_metal
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts

Sony's response to this will determine how I feel about the PS3 being hacked. If Sony decides to go on the offensive and shove security-only firmware updates down my machine's throat then I'm going to be forced to support whoever is willing to develop the platform. If Sony wants to devote all their resources to locking down the PS3 and abandon improving it, then I have no moral qualms about what I do with my hardware. In the unlikely event that Sony decides to accept the inevitable and combat it with continued improvements and benefits for staying legit, then I'd be more than willing to keep my support with them. As a previous owner of a PSP I know exactly what to expect out of Sony.rschauby

Yep. Same here. I love buying games, only to have my PSP tell me that I can't play the game I just paid 30-40 dollars for. I'm not sure what I'll do if they make PS3 do the same.

big_boss1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#64 big_boss1988
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts

well, its good news to me. instead of buying one game, i could buy 3 or 4 or maybe 5 games. thats awesome. but, again, i think its not true. there have been many rumors about this before.

Bluffdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Bluffdemon
Member since 2005 • 85 Posts

Free games i dont care , if i get them free or have to pay for them i choose what I want to do so the hack is good in my book

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts
This is how I feel: I look at the Wii and the 360 - systems that have been hacked for several years already - and I noticed that they're doing just fine. ALL video game systems eventually get hacked. However, the PS3 is the most "inconvenient" of the systems I'd say, because of the size of some of the game files.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
So basically - Hardware sales will go up and software sales will go down.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#68 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
So basically - Hardware sales will go up and software sales will go down.MushroomWig
Which is extremely bad news for game developers.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
nothing is unhackable and most likely sony was getting cocky thinking that they were unhackable this isn't the end of ps3 for all every system has been hacked for years sony will have to take a more aggressive stance to now protecting the ps3 from hackers
Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#70 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
I care. Hackers are damaging a industry already under a lot of pressure. Music & films have racked in the money for years, but the video games industry can't even have tax break it was promised. So you hackers, go down load some tunes or burn a film, but leave the games alone.
Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

I don't condone piracy, but I'd like to know what percentage of people that are convinced piracy is "destroying gaming" still shop at places like Gamestop, which rakes in billions through used game sales alone.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Justinps2hero
Rakes in billions! I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"]I don't like it one bit, some developers really work hard in their games and the thanks they'll be getting from some people is their game being illegally downloaded.jnjreams76
Exactly. This type of thing can only hurt the industry.

I completely agree.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 MrSelf-Destruct
Rakes in billions! I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.Justinps2hero
:P Nice. But yeah, I honestly believe that Gamestop and Blockbuster and the like are doing much more damage to the industry than piracy. These places are way more mainstream and steal more profit with ever used game they sale.
Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Justinps2hero
You have a point, but then they would probably say eBay is more damaging. Maybe they should have a 10% developers fee put on them. That would never happen though, would it.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 MrSelf-Destruct
You have a point, but then they would probably say eBay is more damaging. Maybe they should have a 10% developers fee put on them. That would never happen though, would it.Justinps2hero
No, probably not, but that would be a great idea. They but those games for so cheap and make well over 100% profit in most cases. There's no reason they can't throw a buck or two per copy to the people that are making them rich.
Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

Rakes in billions! I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.Justinps2hero

lol, I get the joke, but that figure is no exaggeration.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#78 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

it won't last long anyway, they'll do an update blocking the exploit and it'll be forgotten fast

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#79 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

it won't last long anyway, they'll do an update blocking the exploit and it'll be forgotten fast

TheTenth10
Didn't you read the whole thing? This cannot be patched via updates. . .
shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts
I think it's really funny. It's karma for taking out the Other OS feature.dk00111
It would have happened anyway, the removal of OtherOS is just a petty excuse.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#81 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Seems like a million owners of the other console were banned not too long ago. I imagine many of them were convinced that there was absolutely nothing anyone could do about their hacked consoles either LOL.

Good luck with that guys ;)