How do you guys feel about PS3 finally getting hacked?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DangerHiVoltage
DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DangerHiVoltage
Member since 2009 • 1157 Posts

As it says in one of the feature articles on todays frontpage, the ps3 may have finally been cracked wide open for users to develop apps for in a homebrew channel-esque element and software may be illegally enabled on the console. personally im excited for the cool apps that will come our way as a result.

_VenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 _VenomX
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

I'm kindof fasting since the PS3 has been hacked..I wont play my PS3 this week..

Wierd eh..?

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#3 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
It was bound to happen sometime. Honestly, the PS3 developers did a great job since the PS3 has lasted so long without homebrew.
DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DangerHiVoltage
ive heard of the ps3 being hacked before but sony got to the hackers before they went public and just paid them off
Elementguy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Elementguy13
Member since 2005 • 2950 Posts
Can people quit posting threads about this. We already came to the conclusion that nobody here cares except for those that make the stupid threads.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
I don't like it one bit, some developers really work hard in their games and the thanks they'll be getting from some people is their game being illegally downloaded.
jnjreams76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jnjreams76
Member since 2008 • 770 Posts
I don't like it one bit, some developers really work hard in their games and the thanks they'll be getting from some people is their game being illegally downloaded.MushroomWig
Exactly. This type of thing can only hurt the industry.
hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

Its not good news, thats for sure.

I am under the impression that this is a big deal, to the point where Sony cannot do anything about this. I hope i am wrong...if not, the PSN could suffer greatly. this sucks.

ImBleedingLAWL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ImBleedingLAWL
Member since 2011 • 61 Posts
I honestly don't really care about it being hacked. Everything gets hacked anyways.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I honestly don't really care about it being hacked. Everything gets hacked anyways. ImBleedingLAWL

That's like saying I don't care if my store gets stolen from cause every store gets stolen from.

ImBleedingLAWL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ImBleedingLAWL
Member since 2011 • 61 Posts
No because if the PS3 gets hacked, I'm not getting anything stolen from me. 360's been hacked. And nothing got stolen from me. Unless you count losing multiplayer matches as being stolen from. Who cares if it gets hacked. It's not us that's being affected anyways. Unless you're super sensitive.
nickz_fpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nickz_fpk
Member since 2010 • 1458 Posts

Sony's problem not mine.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Okay then, imagine you're a customer shopping at a store. You shop there because you like their products. One day you go in to buy whatever you usually buy and the price is 10% higher than the last time you bought it. You complain to the manager and he tells you, "I'm sorry but we raised the price to compensate for recent thefts.''.

Nobody stole from you but you will be affected one way or another.

dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts
I think it's really funny. It's karma for taking out the Other OS feature.
xXRukasuXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xXRukasuXx
Member since 2010 • 1647 Posts
I don't like it one bit, some developers really work hard in their games and the thanks they'll be getting from some people is their game being illegally downloaded.MushroomWig
This would be my opinion on it. ^^^
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

Okay then, imagine you're a customer shopping at a store. You shop there because you like their products. One day you go in to buy whatever you usually buy and the price is 10% higher than the last time you bought it. You complain to the manager and he tells you, "I'm sorry but we raised the price to compensate for recent thefts.''.

Zidaneski

yep,software pirates can cost real people mony in the long run. Or they can couse devs to take short cuts in there games to save money. makeing the games cheaper to cut cost. As far as hacking the system to add features and things like that i dont see a problem but when it opens the door for pirate scumbags then we have a problem.

Cyb0rg360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cyb0rg360
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts

Zidaneski

Actually, after spending 15 years in Retail I will tell you that that is exactly what stores do. Look at your local grocery chains, they have an expected loss from theft built into their profit calculations. Yes, there is loss prevention but there is an understanding that you WILL loose product to theft no matter how diligent you are. It's kind of like when the meat industry allows a certain amount of fecal matter into it's meat products. There is almost no way to avoid it as you are cutting cows open and their intestines spill out all over the treadmill that moves the meat down the line. Do you stop eating burgers? Most do not. Do grocery stores stop selling food because someone will walk out without paying? Most are still open.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
I feel there are enough topics about it. Seriously. It doesn't bother me that its been hacked as I don't really feel it will effect my experience with the system in the slightest. I'm also not completely convinced that its irreversible. Sony has already stated that they have a fix for it and I'm confident they know what they are talking about since they are the ones who designed the system. Only time will tell. Even if this the end for Sony's super security its no big deal. I really wish people would stop exclaiming ridiculous things like "Its the end of the PS3!" "Sony is done for!" "They will takeover the PSN!" "Devs will stop making games for PS3" ......Seriously, kids. Seriously.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'm perfectly happy with it the way it is and won't be messing around with any of this s***.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="Wild_Card"]

[QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

yep,software pirates can cost real people mony in the long run. Or they can couse devs to take short cuts in there games to save money. makeing the games cheaper to cut cost. As far as hacking the system to add features and things like that i dont see a problem but when it opens the door for pirate scumbags then we have a problem.

Can you guys give a single example of this? When has the cost of software gone up due to piracy? Everything else is hacked and pirated and they are all selling for the exact same they were five years ago. So, I'd say that point is invalid.
punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

I feel it's not my problem.

Kismetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kismetic
Member since 2010 • 118 Posts

History has shown that other system have been hacked long before the PS3. Other systems will be hacked in the future. There is really no point in crying outrage on something that has happened before, was going to happen anyways and will happen again. "Hackers Hack Things"

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
If the hackers take some measures to reduce or not allow piracy then it makes no difference... Some of the hackers actually want to disallow the playing of pirated games which sounds pretty good as far as i'm concerned, hope they can keep up on that though, it'd be the first console thats hacked but the hackers don't want pirates taking advantage of their hard work.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Whateves.

It's not that big of a deal and it won't affect sales. Case in point, the Wii. >_>

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Can people quit posting threads about this. We already came to the conclusion that nobody here cares except for those that make the stupid threads.Elementguy13
You shouldn't assume nobody else cares jsut because you don't. If you don't want to read this thread, then don't come to it looking for trouble. All you do is showcase your ignorance. Back to the topic, I think its a great idea, and not because of pirating games, but because coders can actually work on making the PS3 more useful, giving it more features than the offical Sony team will.
DonutNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DonutNerd
Member since 2011 • 173 Posts

I don't like it. Why can't people just quit hacking and support the developers who put a lot of time and effort into creating games.

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

I've got mixed feelings about it. Firstly, I think the hackers should go to jail for hurting the gaming industry. No one but other hackers have anything good to say on the matter and it doesn't do anyone any good at all. This isall about ego andit hurts everyonewhilehelping no one.

Secondly, sounds like these no-lives could use a job at Sony. Use their talent and hard work to protect something people like instead of destroy it.

War_Chiefs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 War_Chiefs
Member since 2007 • 119 Posts

anyone want to give me a quick rum down of what this is all about??i havent a clue whats goin on(sorry) but doesnt sound good

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#29 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="Wild_Card"]

[QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

Can you guys give a single example of this? When has the cost of software gone up due to piracy? Everything else is hacked and pirated and they are all selling for the exact same they were five years ago. So, I'd say that point is invalid.

The PSP and PC. They screwed up AC2 on the PC because of illegal downloads, and the PSP pretty much screwed over by hackers and then game devs. It's different, but to say it has an effect is my point.
WockaFlocka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WockaFlocka
Member since 2010 • 173 Posts
ONE GAME ON THE PC. Can you give me a example of a game being screwed over by hacking on the PSP?
ajthelegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 ajthelegend
Member since 2003 • 418 Posts

My opinion is that anyone trying to make light of the PS3 being hacked is in denial or just does not get it. This in no way, shape, or form is beneficial and what really sickens me are the individuals stating"now I will get a PS3". If you can not afford to purchase software for a system then maybe you should not have that particular system or maybe you should provide the means (Legally, get a job, work, earn something) in order to obtain said software in a legit manner. Sony obviously removes and releases whatever features for it's console when they deem it necessary and that should be respected, if you do not like the PS3 as it is then do not purchase it, do not play it, and move on to another console. I honestly hope there is something Sony can do to combat these recent events and continue to keep the most secure console on the market. Hackers this talented should not waste their time and resources on trying to hack consoles when so many more important issues need addressing....

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#32 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

My opinion is that anyone trying to make light of the PS3 being hacked is in denial or just does not get it. This in no way, shape, or form is beneficial and what really sickens me are the individuals stating"now I will get a PS3". If you can not afford to purchase software for a system then maybe you should not have that particular system or maybe you should provide the means (Legally, get a job, work, earn something) in order to obtain said software in a legit manner. Sony obviously removes and releases whatever features for it's console when they deem it necessary and that should be respected, if you do not like the PS3 as it is then do not purchase it, do not play it, and move on to another console. I honestly hope there is something Sony can do to combat these recent events and continue to keep the most secure console on the market. Hackers this talented should not waste their time and resources on trying to hack consoles when so many more important issues need addressing....

ajthelegend
I agree. And any small kid or teenager who hacks or crap to get M-rated games when he or she is normally not allowed will probably look back at their decision to hack and realize that this is why they couldn't get mature games. BTW, how the heck did you get to Level 35 with only 353 posts? I know posting doesn't level up too much and you've been here since '03, but that low amount of posts? I honor your silence, sir. :P
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrSelf-Destruct

ajthelegend
I agree with you, but I still don't think its that big of a deal. I mean, it sucks for Sony and the developers and there will be some negative consequences but some of these people are just getting a little crazy with it. They are acting like its the end of the console alltogether when any reasonable person knows its not.
DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DangerHiVoltage
So far from what i gather in this thread most people dont care, the secondary are worried for the industry, and the minority will make a hissy fit over seeing another thread about it. completely understandable, i give credit to sony for buidling a more loyal fan base and it shows, just look at the number of developers who put their faith in sony, for many of the indies it paid off. if ps3 was hackable for the beginning, you can bet some of ps3s cult classics wouldnt do half as good. either way i think most people dont understand the potential for the apps, users will take cater to themselves better than corporations. remember that. (in entertatining aspets)
Reiji-Arisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Reiji-Arisu
Member since 2009 • 651 Posts
Feels good actually......like a huge weight have been lifted from my shoulders.
SteJo6sic6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SteJo6sic6
Member since 2010 • 41 Posts

i haven't read all the posts only the first but i couldn't care less. I'm not planning to use my ps3 any differently now it's been hacked than i did before i was hacked

Maximus923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Maximus923
Member since 2008 • 237 Posts

I think it's kinda neat. I've always been a fan of using my systems in more than one way which is why I was upset when Sony Updated the PS3 to disallow the Linux OS. I'm not a fan of pirating, but hopefully in the future the hackers' findings will allow me to use my system to its full potential.

dbzfreak123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dbzfreak123
Member since 2008 • 168 Posts

I don't like it. Why can't people just quit hacking and support the developers who put a lot of time and effort into creating games.

DonutNerd
Piracy wasn't the main focus when they hacked the PS3..
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
I don't like it it opens up to the doors to piracy and people illegally downloading games to play on there hacked ps3.
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
Right...... yea, cause they raise prices just because of piracy.... I'm pretty sure it's more for profit and they feed you that piracy line.... [QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
[QUOTE="feryl06"]Right...... yea, cause they raise prices just because of piracy.... I'm pretty sure it's more for profit and they feed you that piracy line.... [QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

Its simple economics and anyone who has worked retail knows how theft trickles down.
Kismetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kismetic
Member since 2010 • 118 Posts

"It is what it is" I have bigger things to worry about.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MushroomWig
What does this mean for trophies? That's one thing that would get abused.
Bluffdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bluffdemon
Member since 2005 • 85 Posts

I think its great that its been hacked !

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
maybe NOW we'll have the chance to upload our own avatars
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MushroomWig
maybe NOW we'll have the chance to upload our own avatarsLP4EVA2005
Hmm, even if you get online using a hacked console without getting yourself banned, I don't know how that would work because the avatar feature isn't local to your console, it's a feature that's online requiring the use of Sonys servers.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Doesn't bother me personally. I believe that if Sony had not been so tight with their system from the beginning they wouldn't have had their system compromised so severely by hackers. Give the owners more rights and control (linux, etc.) over their own system and you will have a more loyal fanbase. The result of Sony's locked down system is that these hackers are fueled to defeat the security and here is your result.

People should really just face the fact that any major system worth hacking, will be hacked given enough time.

sdbobplissken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sdbobplissken
Member since 2008 • 93 Posts

hacking i have no problem with

piracy and cheating online i do

support the devs people! keep naughty dog and others in business to keep making friggin amazing games!!!!!

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
I really don't think there has been a hack since the jailbreak hack was blocked. All this could be what everyone is talking about and seem to have forgotten that Sony has released a firmware to make the hack useless.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MushroomWig
I really don't think there has been a hack since the jailbreak hack was blocked. All this could be what everyone is talking about and seem to have forgotten that Sony has released a firmware to make the hack useless.jimm895
It's different this time, there is a video on Youtube showing someone downgrading the firmware. The PS3 root key has been cracked, although I'm not sure if this means you can play online or not. I hope not.