GranTurismo 5 really as bad as reviews say?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

idill23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 idill23
Member since 2004 • 1135 Posts

worth a pick up?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Well most of the reviews I've read were between 9 and 7 so I'm not sure what you've been reading, but yeah it's a good simulation racer so if that is what you're looking for, check it out.
idill23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 idill23
Well most of the reviews I've read were between 9 and 7 so I'm sure what you've been reading, but yeah it's a good simulation racer so if that is what you're looking for, check it out.MethodManFTW
yea i was looking for that... hows the rally cross in the game?
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
It's ok, not spectacular. If that is what you want most out of it, I would recommend DiRT 3.
idill23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 idill23
It's ok, not spectacular. If that is what you want most out of it, I would recommend DiRT 3.MethodManFTW
Just looking for more racing and rally.. I have and love dirt 3 so just want more haha
stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts
Its awesome. Well worth your $20. Some reviewers gave it lower scores simply because it took 6 years to come out. They felt like it wasnt worth the wait even though the game is awesome. It added so much compared to GT4 its insane. Buy it.
hardyz200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hardyz200
Member since 2010 • 543 Posts
when i picked it up for 78 here in Australia it was the dumbest move i made worst game ever i love my ps3 but if you have a xbox go for Forza or go for Dirt 3 like methodman said and its on both platforms terrific game
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

GT5 is a great game I love it. If you have DiRT 3 but not DiRT 2 though. I liked the 2nd one a lot more, that is also worth it.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
As far as im concerned its the best 'simulation' racer on consoles...and that night driving damn... Ppl said forza was better but i tried it and i dont see how its any better than gt :\
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

It's awesome and it still has amazing full HD graphics.

idill23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 idill23

GT5 is a great game I love it. If you have DiRT 3 but not DiRT 2 though. I liked the 2nd one a lot more, that is also worth it.

Masenkoe
I beat dirt 3 and the first dirt, what did you like more about the 2nd one?
idill23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 idill23
[QUOTE="campzor"]As far as im concerned its the best 'simulation' racer on consoles...and that night driving damn... Ppl said forza was better but i tried it and i dont see how its any better than gt :\

Yea i didn't care for forza 4 demo, so i didn't think i would like GT5. But i will prob pick it up any way. It has rally in it so i have to get it.. I loved the night racing in dirt 3 so that's a plus. Is there any weather effects in GT5 besides night?
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
GT5 is definitely worth it. The rally isn't really the emphasis, but it's got some pretty good rally tracks and special events. If you are just purely wanting rally, Dirt 2 is probably better just for that. But GT5 offers alot more overall. Definitely grab the XL version of GT5. GT5 is kind of weird. It doesn't give the best 1st impression (starting you out with crappy car, and a "standard" car to boot). But as you start building up your garage and progressing it gets awesome. I especially love the special events, the tracks with day/night cycle, and just the diversity of the different events and types of cars. However once you progress about 30-50 hours, then it starts becoming a grind because it takes a long time to get the REALLY awesome cars. There are cars that cost like 20,000,000 Credits and they just tease you because that takes forever to get. The XL edition addresses this somewhat because it includes some additional cars that were not in the original version, so at least you aren't just stuck with the really bottom of the barrel cars to start out with.
idill23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 idill23
[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]GT5 is definitely worth it. The rally isn't really the emphasis, but it's got some pretty good rally tracks and special events. If you are just purely wanting rally, Dirt 2 is probably better just for that. But GT5 offers alot more overall. Definitely grab the XL version of GT5. GT5 is kind of weird. It doesn't give the best 1st impression (starting you out with crappy car, and a "standard" car to boot). But as you start building up your garage and progressing it gets awesome. I especially love the special events, the tracks with day/night cycle, and just the diversity of the different events and types of cars. However once you progress about 30-50 hours, then it starts becoming a grind because it takes a long time to get the REALLY awesome cars. There are cars that cost like 20,000,000 Credits and they just tease you because that takes forever to get. The XL edition addresses this somewhat because it includes some additional cars that were not in the original version, so at least you aren't just stuck with the really bottom of the barrel cars to start out with.

Thanks! nice post
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
GT5 its very good game go for it
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

i think the problem was it took so long for it to come out that alot of other driving games had come out in half the time and looked just as good, yes the car models look amazing just like the rest of gt's, but the damage system wasn't implemented into lots of the lower cars.

for me gt5 is alot of doing things over and over to get more money to upgrade/buy new cars, if your just after a good rally game as it seem's i wouldn't suggest gt5 unless your willing to put in lots of time and effort to learn the game and work up the money.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Masenkoe

You can start off with a Premium car, I started with the 97 Civic. Nice car tbh.

Also, as far as Dirt 2 is concerned... The campaign I felt was better than 3,

the menus were better.

No focus on DLC and locked cars,

no gymkhana,

No "Hey hombre! Sick race breh! Upload dat on YouTube!" (Which I admit is a decent feature but the advertise it so much)

Dirt 3 was like a giant in game ad to buy more stuff, Dirt 2 was plain and simple just a great game. I actually need to buy it, I've only rented it.

If you played the other ones and liked them you will also love Dirt 2 and it can be had pretty cheap.

also the driving feels so good in GT5 it actually made me buy a wheel and it made the game 20x better. Games like F1 2010 and Dirt 3 are not even close to comparing, F1 feels like driving an ice cube across a tile floor, and Dirt 3 is only a little better.

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

GT5 is amazing. The reviewers gave it a low score because it did not have alot of content at launch, but look at it now with all those updates and DLC's it's filled to the brim with content.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

when i picked it up for 78 here in Australia it was the dumbest move i made worst game ever i love my ps3 but if you have a xbox go for Forza or go for Dirt 3 like methodman said and its on both platforms terrific game hardyz200

Get lost, SW is over there.

Got Collectors edition for $120 AUD and WOW.

-Grieves-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Grieves-
Member since 2007 • 1708 Posts
The physics in GT5 are amazing. Maybe not as fun as an arcade racer, but a lot more satisfying.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

It's certainly worth picking up in the bargain bin. You can have a week or two worth of fun with it. Especially now that there's 18 months worth of seasonal events that have accumulated, which are a hell of a lot more fun than the actual career mode.

But once you scratch beneath the surface, well...beauty is only skin deep. Polyphony Digital basically spent ALL their time working on the game's graphics, and in every other area, it's a full generation behind most other racing games on the market. Its 84/100 Metacritic rating is pretty much correct I suppose. They spent 5 years making a game with about the same rating as Shift 2, which spent 18 months in development, and a substantially lower rating than the Forza games, which come out every 2 years.

And this comes from somebody who's at level 40 A-spec and B-spec, 98% game completion, etc. I'd rate it as the second worst racing game I've played this gen, with only a budget title (Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli) managing to edge it out for the bottom spot.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

It's a great game. It's not perfect and a disappointing when you look at the time it took them to release it(it could and should have been better) but still a great game nonetheless and I still play it every now and then.

There is plenty to do and there are loads of cars(though you'll probably not use most of them) but don't get your hopes to high for the dirt races, they're more like a little side thing so don't expect a huge campaign or something(but it's still cool).

If you like cars and racing I'd say get this game, it's well worth it imo(I paid 80 euro for it and don't regret it). If you're really unsure just go to youtube and watch some gameplay or reviews that usually helps.

OneShotFOGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 OneShotFOGE
Member since 2010 • 38 Posts

Def worth a pick up. I ve logged 42 hours and counting. Its my favorite sim racer. Theres over 1000 cars and there is plenty of fun stuff to do. Definitely a challenging realistic racer.

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
Only game on the market with over 1000 cars. If it's your thing you'll like it. But it's one of those games where you kind of have to be into the genre to enjoy the game.
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

worth a pick up?

idill23
well i havent read many reviews but the ones iv read have all been for the most party posative, but yea id say if like realistic style driveing games gt5 is def worth getting. there are some things i dont like about the game, i dont like the standered cars, i think or i should say id rather the not bothered adding all those standered cars and just used that time to make a dozzen or so more premium cars, And i think even with in the premium cars they made some....from my view point some bad choices, far to many def versions of some cars like nissans for example and some really low end type cars that i just dont think many people would be that interasted in yet there are lots of popular sports cars that are missing, just for example, were are the shelby,rosh or sallen mustangs? were are the performnce caddys like the CTS-V and even the sts-V,and any one who still thinks caddys are for old people must be liveing under a rock lol. but there are a number of cars that *I* think would have made a lot more sense to put in a game about raceing than some of the ones they put in, same with some of the class's. Another thing i thought could have been a bit better was the AI. this is something i think the GT games have fallen way behind in, when im raceing aginst the AI cars i never for i sec forget there AI cars, there very predictable and very bland in there driveing characteristics. Also it would have been nice to have a few def full on carrier mods like in the formula 1 type games. I know all that makes it sound like the game is rubish ect but its not, its still a great driveing game, its still a lot of fun. just that i can def see that the game is not the perfect car game and that there some areas that it could have been improved on. But to sum it up, yea like i said if your in to driveing games especaly realistic ones then gt5 is worth a buy, and you can get it pretty cheap these days even new, i bought a new version , the XL vesion wich has 3 or 4 of the dlc packs free for 39.99 new. def worth every penny.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
[QUOTE="idill23"][QUOTE="campzor"]As far as im concerned its the best 'simulation' racer on consoles...and that night driving damn... Ppl said forza was better but i tried it and i dont see how its any better than gt :\

Yea i didn't care for forza 4 demo, so i didn't think i would like GT5. But i will prob pick it up any way. It has rally in it so i have to get it.. I loved the night racing in dirt 3 so that's a plus. Is there any weather effects in GT5 besides night?

there is rain / snow (Cant remember if it depends on track or not) Also night driving in GT is amazing.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Masenkoe

The most important reason to get the XL edition isn't for DLC, it's because you're gonna save like 10 hours of waiting for updates to download that were added to the Xl edition.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#28 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

It never looked any good to me before release, and when I brother picked it up and started playing it I was shocked at how awful it looked and played. Very poor racing game.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

It plays ok, but the thing that irritates me the most are the graphics. The lighting doesn't look really dynamic, everything looks flat and bland. Also the environments aren't really detailed. The cars look stunning though.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

It never looked any good to me before release, and when I brother picked it up and started playing it I was shocked at how awful it looked and played. Very poor racing game.

Venom_Raptor

Thats cos you dont know how to race.