Dragons Dogma help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

Just picked up this game, and I'm having some difficulty. I just beat the hydra and brought its head to the castle of the Duke or whatever his title was. Now I keep going past this group of bandits on my way to the next mission and I always lose. My pawns die after just a couple hits and I spend so much time running around reviving them I end up dying in the process. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is the game just this difficult? It seems ridiculous that the pawns are that bad. They are all around level 10 or so.

krayzieE99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 krayzieE99
Member since 2010 • 544 Posts

Just picked up this game, and I'm having some difficulty. I just beat the hydra and brought its head to the castle of the Duke or whatever his title was. Now I keep going past this group of bandits on my way to the next mission and I always lose. My pawns die after just a couple hits and I spend so much time running around reviving them I end up dying in the process. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is the game just this difficult? It seems ridiculous that the pawns are that bad. They are all around level 10 or so.

SgtSutton
you're not supposed to fight everyone you see. there are monsters that are higher level than you.
SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

So if i start getting beat up to bad I just run?

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

SgtSutton

Are you upgrading equipment or swapping your pawns entirely (for higher level ones)? It sounds like you are doing the same thing I did early in this game, and that's not realize that you are supposed to constantly be swapping out your pawns for more powerful ones. I just assumed it was a "permanent" party like in other RPG, but it's not that at all. I just remember having the same "this can't be right, I'm always getting my ass kicked" thought, and then once I learned how the pawn system worked... the game became alot more fun. There are still plenty of enemies that will wipe you out in a hurry, so you do need to run away at times if it's an enemy you can't handle. But if you are going into battle with underpowered and underequipped pawns then just about *EVERY* battle will start kicking your ass after a few levels.

Anyway I had great fun with this game for about 30 hours, then got hit with a save-file glitch that completely killed all of my progress. So I never got to come anywhere close to finishing :(

krayzieE99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 krayzieE99
Member since 2010 • 544 Posts

So if i start getting beat up to bad I just run?

SgtSutton
yes for sure there are times when you have to run or get taken out. Try to find a mage/sorcerer with fire. A lot of the enemies are weak against fire. You will see some saurions early in the game as well, but I think they are weak against ice. edit: I know which bandits you are talking about. they beat me up quite a bit in the early levels. Another piece of advice: if you are using a sword type class, try to get edens warden in the "ancient quarry". it is permanently enchanted with fire and will help a lot. I think the treasure chest in the quarry might also give enchanted daggars. anyways, after clearing out the quarry, I would always go back to the chest every few days to get a random weapon. if it is not the weapon you need, you can sell it for some easy cash.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Are you playing as a mage?  That's what I started as and it was ridiculously underpowered.  Switched to fighting with a sword and it was like I was suddenly invincible.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Are you playing as a mage?  That's what I started as and it was ridiculously underpowered.  Switched to fighting with a sword and it was like I was suddenly invincible.

Jackc8

A bow is also very good, as it's difficult to get hit by the enemy.

As for running away from enemies, yeah, it's definitely going to have to happen, but it's pretty cool when you start to level up and taking down harder foes becomes easier and easier (in the upgraded archer class [magic archer or whatever it's called] you can rain down magic arrows from the sky, always awesome). 

And pawns can be kind of confusing, I'd definitely try to get some higher level ones using the rift crystals (I believe that's what they're called).  It may seem like a lot to spend on a pawn, but as long as they don't randomly walk off a cliff (which does happen) you'll have an easier time. 

Sadly, I didn't know how to manage all this on my first playthrough so I almost stopped playing at a big boss battle because I was almost not a high enough level and there was no way to back out of the arena.  But there always seems to be a way to get through a battle (now, the DLC area is apparently kind of unbalanced so surviving that area may be harder, IDK, I just started it).

ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts
Yeah I got killed at that part too, you need to level up some before taking on those bandits.